ecco shoe care question

i bought my first pair of ecco shoes earlier this week when they were 50% off- the biom goretex spiked shoes with boa.

I haven't had any ecco's before but read some posts from many years ago that the leather starts looking bad real quick.

Any tips on treating them before I put them in play and after rounds.

Most of my shoes now i just wipe with a magic eraser

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get a good waterproofing product, and treat the outside of the shoe, remembering that GoreTex is an internal membrane to keep water from getting to your foot; it does NOT keep the outside of the shoe

I bought some stuff from Ecco, but it didn't really work. I brush them off after, and that's about it. They don't look as good as I wish, but they are comfortable.

I've never found a way to keep them looking even halfway decent.  Comfy shoes though.

8 minutes ago, Unteachable said:

i bought my first pair of ecco shoes earlier this week when they were 50% off- the biom goretex spiked shoes with boa.

I haven't had any ecco's before but read some posts from many years ago that the leather starts looking bad real quick.

Any tips on treating them before I put them in play and after rounds.

Most of my shoes now i just wipe with a magic eraser

I've had several pairs of Ecco's and I've treated them all with NikWax, or similar products. It will create a barrier and keep dirt and grime from actually touching the leather.  I spray them down at the start of the year and it seems to last an entire season.

FYI, I normally play 120+ rounds.

• Thanks 1

my white Biom Hybrids began to take on water stains shortly after first wearing, notwithstanding liberal applications of Nikwax.

they ended up leaking badly at the welts, making them unwearable on dewy mornings.

other brands in the rotation - FJ, Adidas do not present this issue.

[size=2]currently playing: [/size]
[size=2][size=3]FT-5 - D[/size][/size]
[size=2][size=3]Titleist 917F3[/size][/size]
[size=2][size=3]Hogan BH-5, 3-PW[/size][/size]
[size=2][size=3]Wilson DynaPowered SW[/size][/size]
[size=2][size=3]Ping Anser [/size][/size]
[size=2][size=3][size=2]it works[/size][/size][/size]

[size=1]when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from . [/size]

Get a good waterproofing product, and treat the outside of the shoe, remembering that GoreTex is an internal membrane to keep water from getting to your foot; it does NOT keep the outside of the shoe dry!  Plus, a good product like NikWax or the like will keep the leather from getting as dirty or stained.

I wipe my Eccos down with a leather conditioner/cleaner before I put them on before a round to get rid of the dirt from a previous round.  And I think that also helps keep the shoes from gradually looking more and more grungy.

One other consideration, if possible, and it applies to ALL golf shoes.  If you play a lot in wet conditions, including morning dew, consider having at least two pairs of golf shoes and rotating them.  That gives them more time to dry completely, which is important.  It might seem like an unjustifiable cost; I know Eccos aren't cheap.  But two pairs are going to last longer than using one pair to death and then getting another pair, so your long-term cost will be lower.

To some extent, I think there is a trade-off between leather being extremely soft and comfortable vs. being stain proof.  You can treat a piece of leather so that it NEVER takes on a stain, but you lose some of the softness and flexibility in the process.  Good leather garments in general (not just shoes) are susceptible to staining, and you have to take care of them accordingly.  There is nothing on the market, IMO, that is comparable to Eccos for the comfort of the leather; you can take 'em out of the box and walk 18 holes and you feel like you're wearing your bedroom slippers.  But that comes with a trade-off, so you have to take a bit of extra care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just be diligent in wiping them down after every round or practice session. That is easier said than done.

• Like 1

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3 & 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                          Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 5-7                           MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA Tourney Blade 8-P            MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 33/350gr. 1.5 Beach Prototype (A010656)

I have the Biom 2nd generation shoes and they are the most comfortable golf shoes I have ever had.  I have flat feet so finding good shoes in general is imperative for me.  After wearing them for 3 years, I noticed the front plastic guard on the front started coming off 6 months ago and now has almost completely come off.  They aren't exactly durable.  I just use a wet towel and wipe them off after every round.  Looking forward to the Biom 3 GTX I have on the way. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

For the past 20 years or more whenever I get a new pair of shoes I always give them a couple coats of Mink Oil prior to playing.  Take a brush designed for shoe polish and coat the shoe making sure to get the area where the upper meets the sole.  Let sit for an hour or two, wipe off thoroughly and repeat the process once more.  Then once or twice a year I will do this again depending on how much wear the shoes got.  But clean off shoes thoroughly first.  No sense protecting the grime.  I only wear good quality leather Footjoy shoes but this should work on Ecco's too if they're leather.  I always get my Mink Oil from Johnston & Murphy shoe stores - avoid any cheap substitutes. 

On 11/29/2020 at 3:32 PM, phizzy30 said:

I have the Biom 2nd generation shoes and they are the most comfortable golf shoes I have ever had.  I have flat feet so finding good shoes in general is imperative for me.  After wearing them for 3 years, I noticed the front plastic guard on the front started coming off 6 months ago and now has almost completely come off.  They aren't exactly durable.  I just use a wet towel and wipe them off after every round.  Looking forward to the Biom 3 GTX I have on the way. 

I would think 3 years would be considered pretty durable.

13 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I would think 3 years would be considered pretty durable.

True.  It's about time to replace them anyway.  Just got my new eccos.  They are too long from toe to heel unfortunately however the width is perfect.  Going to have to return them and get another smaller pair.  I'm def going to care for them better than my current pair. 

• Like 2

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

56 minutes ago, phil75070 said:

The following article was recently posted by the team at Sqairz that talks about how to and how not to clean golf shoes of all types, not just theirs:

How To Clean Golf Shoes - SQAIRZ

Great article! Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3 & 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                          Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 5-7                           MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA Tourney Blade 8-P            MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 33/350gr. 1.5 Beach Prototype (A010656)

I use the Ecco brand Repel on my shoes (and it doesn't mess up breathability of the Gore Tex membrane). Also use their shoe cream on all my shoes. Expensive but worth it.

Waterproofing (a non sticky one) also helps keep the shoes clean -dirt often doesn't stick or just brushes off.

Edited by myspinonit

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°  Alta CB 55 R

Ping G410  5 wood (at 16.5°) &  7 wood ( at 19.5°)  Alta CB 65 R

Ping G410  22° & 26° (at 25°) hybrids  Alta CB 70 R

Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70 A

Vokey SM6 49.07F, 54.08M, 58.08M Steelfiber i80 R

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5  34"

As soon as you use anything like an oil or nick wax it messes up the goretex as it doesnt allow the membrane to do its job.. same as golf waterproofs when they get fabric detergent and fabric conditioner on them.. ( to get waterproofs back wash them a few times with no detergent and then put them in the dryer on a “cupboard dry” setting and they are as good as new, you will be surprised how much detergent stays on your washing machine).. had no issue with a few pairs of mine and using the Ecco cleaning kit, give them a good wash off with a soft brush and clean water, pop them in a pillow case in the dryer for a bit, and then use the 3 different bottles to keep em clean and waterproof.. 

• Like 1