Sarah Fuller

dukeman

Did anybody see Sarah Fuller kick off for Vanderbilt on Saturday? She kicked the ball about 30 yards. Is that a decent kick for a female collegiate soccer player? Or did she get nervous because of the moment and just shank it?

I don’t intend this to be political or mean spirited. I just don’t know what the expectations were and I am curious.

rumor is coach is on hot seat and used this as good will stunt for himself. doesn't vandy have a punter who knows how to kickoff? and any player on the team can kick a squib. and why call a squib kick while losing by so much unless it was for any other reason than feeling need to protect kicker

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

It 100% wasn't shanked, you can see on the replay based on her setup and line of sight this was an intentional squib. 

I agree with others though this is not the type of situation you would normally squib, down 21-0. Also, considering this was her first game you think you'd relish the opportunity to show off her leg considering all the publicity. I doubt an opposing player would have teed off on her, given the notoriety you'd get, and the limited strategic value in going after a kicker anyway. 

FWIW , i was a college and pro placekicker. I can count on one hand the amount of times someone has targeted me on a kickoff. Basically never happens. I can't even recall one instance to be honest

So this was a weird move i guess. Seems like it was more about just getting it over with and making history. We'll see what happens in the next few games. If she can make like a 40 yarder than she's legit enough, LOL 

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

15 minutes ago, Gsea said:

Down 21-0 at half, coach knows no win he's gone which did happen. He was praying for a fumble and a recovery to get points quick. Strategically smart doubt it. But she was following orders.

I don’t know what the coach was praying for any more than you do, but.............. the thought of a fumble and quick points never, ever entered his mind. 

• 2 weeks later...

She made an extra point yesterday. Hard to judge much but it looks like she's got a solid leg, ball came out with some decent power plus you'd have to guess she was very nervous

I was watching LSU/Florida yesterday and those teams had some incredible kickers, you didn't see a lot of college guys just crushing 50 yarders 20 years ago. When Janikowski came on the scene it was big news. That LSU dude drills a 57yd game winner that probably would've been good from 65

But i digress, a lot of programs still don't have great kickers. If a terrible Vanderbilt team had a male kicker who couldn't make anything over 40yds no one would notice, because those teams are out there. 

So yeah, she seems to have an OK leg, i'd love to see her try one from ~40 or so

• Like 2

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Opposing drama was interesting in that game:

LSU team ECSTATIC after 57 yrd FG.

FLA team PISSED after 20 yrd cleat toss.

Great game.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

6 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

She made an extra point yesterday. Hard to judge much but it looks like she's got a solid leg, ball came out with some decent power plus you'd have to guess she was very nervous

I was watching LSU/Florida yesterday and those teams had some incredible kickers, you didn't see a lot of college guys just crushing 50 yarders 20 years ago. When Janikowski came on the scene it was big news. That LSU dude drills a 57yd game winner that probably would've been good from 65

But i digress, a lot of programs still don't have great kickers. If a terrible Vanderbilt team had a male kicker who couldn't make anything over 40yds no one would notice, because those teams are out there. 

So yeah, she seems to have an OK leg, i'd love to see her try one from ~40 or so

That’s not going to happen - they have a kicker who comes in for kicks like that. 

4 hours ago, Bob Cat said:

Opposing drama was interesting in that game:

LSU team ECSTATIC after 57 yrd FG.

FLA team PISSED after 20 yrd cleat toss.

Great game.

I loved every minute of that. I really like the  LSU head coaches style. Seems like someone I would’ve loved playing for him.

The Florida players teammate smacked him right upside the head after he threw the shoe. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

That’s not going to happen - they have a kicker who comes in for kicks like that. 

Was not aware, I thought she was their kicker but I'm not really following the team. Just watching the kicks out of curiosity 

• Like 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I saw the “highlight” and she didn’t follow through. She has more in the tank.

100% anecdotal.

As a college soccer player I could kick a soccer ball 60 yds in the air. I kicked a 45 yd FG and that was my max consistently, I made longer, but...

The ladies could kick a soccer ball about 45 yds, so I would guess her limit is 30-35 yds.

Edited by Petethreeput

As a former college and arena professional kicker, I'm glad she got the chance to do it. Love seeing girls shown that anything is possible. Now, to be totally critical on the kicking, it was bad. I can teach any 6th grader to make an extra point. Hers came out flat and with little to no pop and bad trajectory. I can tell you that any college soccer player, male or female have great legs and can be made a football kicker. It isn't difficult or I couldn't have done it! The foot angles are different, but overall, it is the same body motion. I'd love to see her try one from 40 or so. I'd say with a few months of practice, she could do pretty well. I've seen D2 kickers that ride the bench routinely make 65 yarders in practice. Kicking at every level is very much a right place at the right time game. I'll also 100% confident Vandy has a multitude of other kickers available but is trying to make a statement. We joke down here that they are trying to become the liberal Harvard of the south. 

I honestly haven't watched a single game all season. I'm wondering how big a hit college football is taking in general, and this does seem a bit like a publicity stunt for Vandy. Their football program has been a joke (by SEC standards) for about as long as anyone can remember.

I'm just glad I don't have to put up with Gus Malzahn any more. Read option football stinks. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

25 minutes ago, jholz said:

I honestly haven't watched a single game all season. I'm wondering how big a hit college football is taking in general, and this does seem a bit like a publicity stunt for Vandy. Their football program has been a joke (by SEC standards) for about as long as anyone can remember.

I'm just glad I don't have to put up with Gus Malzahn any more. Read option football stinks. 

ha ... hope the next hs coach works out well!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tiderider said:

seriousness aside, curious timing on their part ... not to say auburn doesn't have the same zeal for winning football, but i'd think coffers have taken a hit during this pandemic ... $10 million payment up front is a big hit ... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tiderider said:

Yeah, I don't know how Malzahn lasted as long as he did. Dude had one idea. Proved he couldn't change. Without Cam Newton (or similar transcendent talent) under center - it never worked. 

He also proved he couldn't recruit and develop talent with Kiehl Frazier. Pretty much ruined Stidham. Was quickly doing the same with Nix. 

With Auburn's RB talent - you don't have to do that much with the QB. It just doesn't seem that hard. I'd really like to see them go back to the basics and just play straight up football. 

And yes, it would be really nice to have someone like Saban. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

56 minutes ago, tiderider said:

seriousness aside, curious timing on their part ... not to say auburn doesn't have the same zeal for winning football, but i'd think coffers have taken a hit during this pandemic ... $10 million payment up front is a big hit ... 

Yeah I'm sure it took some pretty big convincing of some boosters to be able to pull the trigger there.  It's insane to me that these coaches all get these massive buyout clauses in their contracts.

for those cheering the move by vandy to have her kick a xp... to 'make history', all while vandy still has a different kid on the team who kicks longer fg's, how would you feel if a different team then put a girl in at the end of the game as QB....to make history... only to watch her kneel the ball in victory formation? is that breaking barriers or a publicity stunt?

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

28 minutes ago, jordan2240 said:

Some 'barriers' don't really need to be broken.  I always roll my eyes at moments like this when someone proclaims that 'anything is possible' if you just put your mind to it.  I was sure I could fly when I jumped off the roof the other day.  Glad I have good medical insurance.

If you’re still jumping off roofs then I think your opinion on any topic is null and void.

1 hour ago, GHIN n Juice said:

If you’re still jumping off roofs then I think your opinion on any topic is null and void.

But I thought 'anything was possible if I put my mind to it.'  That's what we're always being told.  What exactly was the barrier she was breaking anyway that needed to be broken?

49 minutes ago, jordan2240 said:

But I thought 'anything was possible if I put my mind to it.'  That's what we're always being told.  What exactly was the barrier she was breaking anyway that needed to be broken?

Well, Sarah is a better kicker than you are a philosopher.  Of that I am sure.

7 hours ago, FairwaysToHeaven said:

how would you feel if a different team then put a girl in at the end of the game as QB....to make history... only to watch her kneel the ball in victory formation? is that breaking barriers or a publicity stunt?

Publicity stunt .

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

On 12/14/2020 at 2:46 PM, cardia10 said:

As a former college and arena professional kicker, I'm glad she got the chance to do it. Love seeing girls shown that anything is possible. Now, to be totally critical on the kicking, it was bad. I can teach any 6th grader to make an extra point. Hers came out flat and with little to no pop and bad trajectory. I can tell you that any college soccer player, male or female have great legs and can be made a football kicker. It isn't difficult or I couldn't have done it! The foot angles are different, but overall, it is the same body motion. I'd love to see her try one from 40 or so. I'd say with a few months of practice, she could do pretty well. I've seen D2 kickers that ride the bench routinely make 65 yarders in practice. Kicking at every level is very much a right place at the right time game. I'll also 100% confident Vandy has a multitude of other kickers available but is trying to make a statement. We joke down here that they are trying to become the liberal Harvard of the south. 

Yeah i've said this a lot too. I tell people there's probably 2500 people that could be NFL kickers if you just subbed them in, probably more. After maybe, i don't know, the year 2000....people just started figuring out that soccer players could be awesome at it and i feel like many more started doing it....and TBH it's also a fairly easy job to do week to week. When i was in university my practice routine was kicking on a peripheral field for an hour and then basically lying down on a lineman bag and watching the rest of practice. Go the gym during meetings....easy life

Well until you miss an important FG ...than it's no fun and it's a lonely bus ride. At the end of the day i hated being a kicker even though i was good at it. It's the reason i stopped playing 

There's thousands of guys that can kick 60 yarders, less people who can make 50 yarders in games, but the number of guy who could probably go 35/40 in an NFL season is likely in the thousands. Right place at right time as you say

Deschamps Crisp Antique