97 Cameron TeI3 restoration - original or new color??

11 hours ago, ckay said:

You might be better off selling it as-is. 

Correct, you aren't going to see 800 for a refinished putter. Your looking at a solid 300-350 as-is. If you refinish it i wouldn't see more than 450 out of it. Norcal is amazing. I've sent in 2 putters and I dont expect to see any resale over 400 on any of them. 

23 hours ago, gwelfgulfer said:

This is the thing with this covid and the over pricing of equipment.  People have gouged to high hell and it's pretty sickening.  People will always clamor about they can price as they see fit and all, but honestly, gtfo... I'm quite sick of seeing people filling my feeds with 10-15 yr old beat up irons that weren't worth the asking price new for $600.  I've helped a couple of people new to the game this year in building bags vs. going at it alone and hoping they were getting good value.

About 4-5 months ago, there was a few here in the GTA ranging from $250-$350.  When you have cash in hand and can pick up things basically instantly, a good chunk of people will sell instantly, more so if they don't know what they have.  I got my 34" NP2 Mil-Spec in fantastic shape for like $240 and the Piretti in sig for $220 (cdn pricing).

Mil-Spec was never made in the Newport 2.  Only Newport.  Are you sure you know what you got?

Edited by GolfGuitarsCars
  • Like 1

Ping G400 SFT 12*

Ping G 5W 19*

Ping G  7W 21.5*

Ping G410 5 Hybrid 25*

Mizuno JPX 923 HM HL 6-GW

Cleveland CBX2 54* & 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport Mil Spec 340g @ 34”

Bettinardi BB1 350g @ 34”

4 hours ago, GolfGuitarsCars said:

Mil-Spec was never made in the Newport 2.  Only Newport.  Are you sure you know what you got?

Thanks for the correction.  My Tei3 is an NP2, NP for the Mil-Spec.  

2 hours ago, btyh said:

Some confuse that name with the mid slant that they had a Newport 2 for those

Sadly enough, my main gamer for the past 10 years or so has been the Yes Abbie Forged, which I love.  I've actually passed up on a couple SC's this year as they were just a bit too beat up to send in to get refinished as I want to do a deep milled face on one.  Tho I also want to find another mint Abbie, which seems to actually be a harder find.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

7 minutes ago, gwelfgulfer said:

Thanks for the correction.  My Tei3 is an NP2, NP for the Mil-Spec.  

Sadly enough, my main gamer for the past 10 years or so has been the Yes Abbie Forged, which I love.  I've actually passed up on a couple SC's this year as they were just a bit too beat up to send in to get refinished as I want to do a deep milled face on one.  Tho I also want to find another mint Abbie, which seems to actually be a harder find.

Honestly with my experence scottycamerons if you are a feel player fine mill would be better than a deep mill. 

For resale, definitely want to keep it as original as possible. Norcal does hundreds of these, and I would definitely recommend. Alter it in any non-stock way, and people will think something happened to it. Just bring it back to stock new.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS with LA Golf Trono 65-TX

3w: Callaway Rogue ST LS 13.5 with LA Golf Bryson Series 75-TX

4H: Mizuno ST-Z 230 w/ UST LIN-Q Blue F5-78 X (19.75 E Loft / 58 Lie / 3 Face Angle)

4-PW: Mizuno JPX 923 Tour w/ KBS Tour 120-S

GW/SW/LW: Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50/07-S, 55/09-D, 60/06-X w/ KBS Tour 120-S

Putter: 2023 Odyssey White Hot Versa Double Wide

On 11/29/2020 at 8:39 AM, Nick_E said:

I have an original 97 Newport long neck tei3.  I'd like to get it restored and will likely sell it.  To get maximum value should I restore it back to original or add in new colors and sight lines?

Its in pretty good shape, just a few small dings and refinish.  Also could I use NorCal instead of Scott to save money on refinish?

I have an original 97 Newport long neck tei3.  I'd like to get it restored and will likely sell it.  To get maximum value should I restore it back to original or add in new colors and sight lines?

Its in pretty good shape, just a few small dings and refinish.  Also could I use NorCal instead of Scott to save money on refinish?

I would choose either BOS Golf or Ken Flanigan to restore the putter. But why would I want you to restore this putter? It is a light head so it will need a significant amount of lead tape to get it up to a modern weight. And if it fit my stroke, I would want to refinish it to suit my tastes.

I recommend you clean it up and put a little WD-40 on it.

• Like 1

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

On 11/29/2020 at 8:39 AM, Nick_E said:

I have an original 97 Newport long neck tei3.  I'd like to get it restored and will likely sell it.  To get maximum value should I restore it back to original or add in new colors and sight lines?

Its in pretty good shape, just a few small dings and refinish.  Also could I use NorCal instead of Scott to save money on refinish?

I have an original 97 Newport long neck tei3.  I'd like to get it restored and will likely sell it.  To get maximum value should I restore it back to original or add in new colors and sight lines?

Its in pretty good shape, just a few small dings and refinish.  Also could I use NorCal instead of Scott to save money on refinish?

I would choose either BOS Golf or Ken Flanigan to restore the putter. But why would I want you to restore this putter? It is a light head so it will need a significant amount of lead tape to get it up to a modern weight. And if it fit my stroke, I would want to refinish it to suit my tastes.

Putter Ping Pal 2F

8 hours ago, MattM97 said:

The only TEI3 putters I see selling for 600-900 are either all original in good condition or a banged up lefties cause of the stupid "Scotty Tax". No in between. 

As for who to get it finished BOS golf used to do the finished for Scotty, that would be my vote. 

This X2.

Use BOS Golf, they're the ones who did the original finish for Cameron.  This is going to get it back as close to original as possible.  I wouldn't add any sitelines or anything like that to change it.  Cameron guys will generally be OK with a refinish if it is BOS who does it just because they were the ones who handled it originally. It's best too if you don't have to have any re-milling done.

• Like 3

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

21 minutes ago, swgolf12 said:

This X2.

Use BOS Golf, they're the ones who did the original finish for Cameron.  This is going to get it back as close to original as possible.  I wouldn't add any sitelines or anything like that to change it.  Cameron guys will generally be OK with a refinish if it is BOS who does it just because they were the ones who handled it originally. It's best too if you don't have to have any re-milling done.

Hadn't heard of BOS and their prices are very reasonable.  I may give them a shot. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, shart6 said:

For the restore the head is pretty clean.  I don't expect any milling required so weight would be what it was originally.

7 hours ago, btyh said:

Honestly with my experence scottycamerons if you are a feel player fine mill would be better than a deep mill. 

As I'm more of an iron set ho, I buy putters for me.  Hell, I bought a Buttonback years ago for $500 and sold it for that as I lost interest in it.  I like the hunt more than anything. 

• Like 1

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

19 hours ago, Nick_E said:

For the restore the head is pretty clean.  I don't expect any milling required so weight would be what it was originally.

These old heads are light as built. My 95-97 Classic Newport head could be as light as 310 grams. My 2000 Art of Putting limited run may go 330 grams. My custom Futura Phantom 33 is 340 grams. The Newport has 28 grams of lead tape to get it up to a  D2 swingweight at 33 inches. The Phantom has 10 grams lead tape to get it about D1+.

Putter Ping Pal 2F

• 3 months later...

As an FYI, the prices are still climbing on these.  I just sent a 1999 Long Neck Newport off to BOS for the original Black Oxide refinish.  I am sending only the head and with shipping both ways, the total cost will only be $119.90 ($7.90 shipping to BOS, $10 insert removal/install, $85 refinish & paint fill, $17 return shipping) - very reasonable IMHO. 

Furthermore, I confirmed with BOS that included is buffing out all minor dings (basically, they do a minor restoration). 

And finally, BOS stands for Black Oxide Service, Inc. (as indicated on my receipt!)  Before pic is below, will post after pic in about six weeks!

P.S. The head of the 1999 Long Neck Newport weighs exactly 340 grams.

Photo Mar 09, 10 44 31 AM.jpg

Edited by Broke100

On 11/30/2020 at 4:06 PM, swgolf12 said:

This X2.

This.

Just picked this beauty up from another member here.  New finish ONLY from BOS(minor touch up but no remilling).  As BOS did the finish originally I was confident in buying one they’d retouched and for a killer deal.  Had traded my T22 Newport for more than double the value of what I paid for this refinished original and couldn’t be happier.  Seems like a great opportunity right now to pick up these originals while they’re not in vogue and enjoy them and wait.  
67E5068E-1426-4C3B-A9E8-6498C613376C.jpeg.bc0681e14eaca65a4c1fe38c63d39925.jpeg02B766CB-0550-4268-8AF8-BAC0355628FB.jpeg.c215e9a04de0d30ab40f2a757ffd7d07.jpeg041BDF6D-C4C5-4514-8A29-264F80AFD769.jpeg.d73a6e410a655b5102eab8a1dc9deb29.jpeg30166176-66EA-4049-87E9-7ECBAED53A5E.jpeg.8a1567db542e6402281c7ae2919a8ab7.jpeg

Edited by CantJumpHighHandicap
typo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 6:17 PM, Broke100 said:

As an FYI, the prices are still climbing on these.  I just sent a 1999 Long Neck Newport off to BOS for the original Black Oxide refinish.  I am sending only the head and with shipping both ways, the total cost will only be $119.90 ($7.90 shipping to BOS, $10 insert removal/install, $85 refinish & paint fill, $17 return shipping) - very reasonable IMHO. 

Furthermore, I confirmed with BOS that included is buffing out all minor dings (basically, they do a minor restoration). 

And finally, BOS stands for Black Oxide Service, Inc. (as indicated on my receipt!)  Before pic is below, will post after pic in about six weeks!

P.S. The head of the 1999 Long Neck Newport weighs exactly 340 grams.

Photo Mar 09, 10 44 31 AM.jpg

Less than three weeks later, I received a shipping notice with pictures from BOSGolf, the refinished Tei3 Long Neck is on it's way back.  I am amazed.

SC Tei3 LN refinish 1.jpg

SC Tei3 LN refinish 2.jpg

• Like 1

My two Cameron Newports of the era are getting Black Chrome/ Nickel and brushed copper because if I bought a classic Newport in 1995 it would have been plated before I used it and regripped. The black will be a tribute to Slim Thug's Caddy on Texas Metal and the Copper on a Pro Platinum Limited run will be a tribute to the Copper Caddy on Bitchin Rides. Whether it adds any value,  I don't really care. 

Putter Ping Pal 2F