Any M3 or M5 users upgrade to the SIM or SIM MAX only to come crawling back with flowers and half-eaten chocolates?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm just here to say I appreciate your title. 

I was crazy long with SIM but wild enough I hunted down a G400 max and it never sniffed leaving the bag    

The G400 Max is, without question, the easiest to hit driver ever created in human history. That is all.

No. Went to sim from m5. It did take a few weeks to get sim dialed in and I almost returned the sim. I hated the hard right miss I was getting. My last ditch effort was to setup SIM to draw or hit pulls with every shot and then dial back the left miss from there. I found a setup that worked very well and played it all year. Have recently changed to a more forgiving setup and it's been even better.

• Like 2

The SIM enticed me and just recently started my relationship with her.  I don't think my m5 knows yet and we really haven't officially broken up.  I was thinking of taking them on a date together to the range to compare, but that will sure cause some conflict.  I'll provide an update after.

• Haha 1

TaylorMade SIM 10.5º | Graphite Design AD IZ-6X
Callaway Epic SZ 3 wood | Graphite Design AD IZ-7X
Callaway Mavrik SZ 5 wood | Graphite Design AD IZ-7s
Titleist TW3 Hybrid 25º | Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 70x
Ping i210 5-PW | Dynamic Gold Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey Wedge SM7 52F, SM8 56D & 60D | Dynamic Gold Project X LZ 6.5

TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs +
Titleist Pro v1x

I'm in the midst of transitioning back.......

Maybe....

What was the question again? 

All seriousness,  the M5 might be a hair shorter as mentioned above but a shade steadier .......funny is the M5 is very easy for me to cut whilst the M3 much easier to draw.....

Next few rounds will set the lineup for me

• Like 1

I was crazy long with SIM but wild enough I hunted down a G400 max and it never sniffed leaving the bag

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Diamana Blue B 80s G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix 92x Apex 5h 26* PX hb6 97x

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

9 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

The G400 Max is, without question, the easiest to hit driver ever created in human history. That is all.

• Like 3

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

1 minute ago, Obee said:

The funny thing is I had one but I guess it was the wrong shaft - Tensei orange - and it spun loads and was short.  Moved to 400LST and it was awesome but sometimes a knuckler that was wonky

Back to the Max with stronger shafts and good lord, you have to swing so badly to hit a drive that is not serviceable

Local shop has a new 9* max and I may buy it, just debating as a 425 max has to be in my future

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Diamana Blue B 80s G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix 92x Apex 5h 26* PX hb6 97x

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

Interestingly, I found the SIM was actually much better than M3 and M5. I played from 2016 M1, M2, 2017 M2, skipped the M3 and M4,  moved to M6 M5, then explored the SIM Max all the way until settled down with the SIM (the same shaft with the same specs)

To me, the SIM feels more stable (forgiving) and extremely solid. Way better launching condition, sound and feel. Hopefully I can stop the bleeding of the wallet and keep the SIM for a foreseeable period

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade SIM, 8 degrees (set to 6.5), Fujikura Motore Speeder 661 X-Stiff

3W: Taylormade M5 14 degrees (set to 12.5), VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 915H (3-5), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 (6-P), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Wedges: Bridgestone J33 (50,56,60), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Putter: Directed Force 2.1 Putter

Ball: Titleist Velocity

19 minutes ago, SmashGolfBall said:

Interestingly, I found the SIM was actually much better than M3 and M5. I played from 2016 M1, M2, 2017 M2, skipped the M3 and M4,  moved to M6 M5, then explored the SIM Max all the way until settled down with the SIM (the same shaft with the same specs)

To me, the SIM feels more stable (forgiving) and extremely solid. Way better launching condition, sound and feel. Hopefully I can stop the bleeding of the wallet and keep the SIM for a foreseeable period

What shaft might I ask? 

For some reason the M5 gets a lot of flak, I found it to be one of the most playable drivers from TM ever. I still bring out my M5 with DF in it, it’s not the longest compared to the low low spin boys but it does love a good fairway. Tried sim and found less forgiveness, more speed. Not enough to drop 450 on a head tho. 

• Like 2

Srixon Tour Issue Z785 (FL) 9*- Speeder TR 661 X 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - AD DI 7X 

Cobra Speedzone 3H* - KBS Hybrid Proto 95X

Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-PW KBS C Taper 130X 

Cleveland RTX4 - 52*56*60* - Tour Issue S400 

Scotty Special Select NP2 or Ping Anser Milled 2 

14 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

What shaft might I ask? 

Fujikura Motore Speeder 661 X (the real deal shaft)

Driver: Taylormade SIM, 8 degrees (set to 6.5), Fujikura Motore Speeder 661 X-Stiff

3W: Taylormade M5 14 degrees (set to 12.5), VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 915H (3-5), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 (6-P), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Wedges: Bridgestone J33 (50,56,60), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Putter: Directed Force 2.1 Putter

Ball: Titleist Velocity

23 hours ago, cardoustie said:

The funny thing is I had one but I guess it was the wrong shaft - Tensei orange - and it spun loads and was short.  Moved to 400LST and it was awesome but sometimes a knuckler that was wonky

Back to the Max with stronger shafts and good lord, you have to swing so badly to hit a drive that is not serviceable

Local shop has a new 9* max and I may buy it, just debating as a 425 max has to be in my future

I've tried to replace the 400LST. I keep going back. Cracked the face on the 400 Ping sent me the 410LST- it now sits in my shop. My cousin in Oz has been playing the 425 Max and keeps raving about it. Saying it's the best driver Ping has made (hyperbole....maybe) and he's a Ping guy.

Edited by sailfishchris

Ping G400LST 8.5 TPT 14 LKP LT LW Proto
Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Orange 80 TX
Mizuno JPX919 Forged 4i SuperPeening Blue X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tours5-PW Super Peening Blue X
Vokey SM7 raw 52, 56, 60 DGTI-s400
Byron Morgan Proto DH89
Pro -V1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

M3 440 10° has been my gamer since summer of 2019. Nothing could bump it out of the bag. Just recently did I try both SIM and SIM Max. The Max was a 9°, and I couldn't get consistent launch from it. The 10.5° SIM has officially bumped the M3 out of the bag. Very similar ball flight, but with less spin, so it hits and runs like a scalded dog. To be fair, I did do some experimenting with different shafts, but was able to try them in the M3 head as well and settled on a Diamana 60 in X flex to go with the 10.5° SIM head. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM 10.5° Project X Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60 S

PING G410 14.5° and 20.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK 70 Orange X 

Cobra King Tour MIM 4-GW Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 130

Titleist Vokey SM8 54.12 D-grind, 60.08 M-grind

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black 34"

I was gaming an M4 for 3 years before going with a SIM MAX and I had my doubts at first.  The SM is more fade biased than the M4 and it took me a bit to get used to and adjust.  I hit some monster drives with the M4 but my bad shots were spinning off the planet and into OB or the next fairway over.  With the SM I can at least keep most tee balls in play.  The M4 head had slightly higher ball speed on flush drives which is the only gripe.  I hit the ball long enough and find that I can sacrifice 5-10 yards off the tee for better dispersion.  I also gave my M4 to my cousin with a shaft fitted for him.  He's a cheap a** and didn't want to spend 700 plus on a brand new custom SIM, haha. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I never left the M5!  Honestly, it's been a great driver and I tested it head to head vs. the SIM on a GCQuad and there was nothing in it.  They both require some dialing in but once you get their launch conditions (spin and launch angle) dialed in I found no difference.  Definitely not worth paying the $500+ premium to upgrade this year but may be worth revisiting once the SIM 2.0 is released and prices drop.

• Like 1

I had the M3, skipped the M5 based on looks alone, and went to the SIM.  I have no plans on going back to the M3.  I had to go up to a 10.5* SIM from the 9.5* M3 because I couldn't launch the 9* SIM high enough.  The SIM is just as stable for me as the M3, but lower spinning.  You really can't go wrong with either driver.  I've hit the SIM2, and will be getting that once it comes out.  Performance is just as good with the SIM, but I like the look of it better.  

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM set 1 click lower- shaft Diamana D+ 70s

Fairway:  Cobra F9 5w turned down to 17* Diamana White 80s

Hybrids: 19* Srixon H65 Proforce V2 85f4
Irons: 24* X Forged Utility w/ Modus 120s, 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro Modus 125s
Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Vokey SM6 F Grind, Zipcore 52* Mid bent to 53*, Zipcore 56* Mid Raw bent to 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
Putter: Toulon Las Vegas or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish