Titleist T200 / T300 decision

I’m trying to decide between the T200 and T300 irons. I recently moved to the TSi2 driver after a fitting which I LOVE and thought I’d try some Titleist irons as well. My current irons are Ping Gs which have served me well. I’ve hit both the T200 and T300 7 irons and prefer the look and feel of the T200 but I’m apprehensive about giving up some of the forgiveness of the T300 which seems more similar to my Ping G irons. 
My ballstriking has improved a lot since I got my last set. I guess I’m just used to thinking about prioritizing maximum forgiveness instead of “enjoyable” when it comes to irons. My heart wants the T200s, my brain is trying to tell me the T300s are more practical. 😆
Anyone have experience moving to a club like the T200s from more super-GI irons?

Edited by CSwinton
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't confuse the T200 with a blade or even the T100......these are the perfect blend of looks and forgiveness available......sole width is wide enough to give forgiveness on thin shots with a pre-wor

I have the T300s and love them.  To me they are the perfect blend of distance, forgiveness, feel and looks.  While the 5-6-7 are marginally bigger than the T200s its not a ton of difference behind the

I’m thinking about t300s myself. Here’s how I look at it, why play a club that will penalize a slight mishit when you could play one that doesn’t. I’ve been playing G25 irons for almost 10 years. I’ve

Posted Images

I’m thinking about t300s myself. Here’s how I look at it, why play a club that will penalize a slight mishit when you could play one that doesn’t. I’ve been playing G25 irons for almost 10 years. I’ve been as low as a +2, and there isn’t a shot I can’t hit with them. Unless the feel is night and day it’s hard to give up forgiveness.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

31 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

I’m thinking about t300s myself. Here’s how I look at it, why play a club that will penalize a slight mishit when you could play one that doesn’t. I’ve been playing G25 irons for almost 10 years. I’ve been as low as a +2, and there isn’t a shot I can’t hit with them. Unless the feel is night and day it’s hard to give up forgiveness.

Don't confuse the T200 with a blade or even the T100......these are the perfect blend of looks and forgiveness available......sole width is wide enough to give forgiveness on thin shots with a pre-worn leading edge to help with turf interaction.....I switched the amt black to the amt red in longer irons and that has been an immense impact on my success and confidence.  

Don't label T200s as unforgiving or intimidating because they're not!

• Like 3
Just now, SwooshLT said:

Don't confuse the T200 with a blade or even the T100......these are the perfect blend of looks and forgiveness available......sole width is wide enough to give forgiveness on thin shots with a pre-worn leading edge to help with turf interaction.....I switched the amt black to the amt red in longer irons and that has been an immense impact on my success and confidence.  

Don't label T200s as unforgiving or intimidating because they're not!

I didn’t “label” the t200 anything. 

• Haha 1

Evnroll TR8 33"

Is the t300 more forgiving on a mishit than the t200? Of course it is, the mpf on the t300 is 895 and 690 on the t200. YOU used the words not forgiving, not me. I merely stated that the t300 is more forgiving, or less punishing on a mishit than the t200. Which is a fact.

Evnroll TR8 33"

2 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Is the t300 more forgiving on a mishit than the t200? Of course it is, the mpf on the t300 is 895 and 690 on the t200. YOU used the words not forgiving, not me. I merely stated that the t300 is more forgiving, or less punishing on a mishit than the t200. Which is a fact.

Ok.......you win......not what you said but whatevs.....

@CSwinton enjoy your clubs, whichever model you decide on

I have the T300s and love them.  To me they are the perfect blend of distance, forgiveness, feel and looks.  While the 5-6-7 are marginally bigger than the T200s its not a ton of difference behind the ball.  The 8-GW look great and have a nice topline.  Forgiveness is where they shine for me particularly on days when my swing is off (most days).  I shot 75 with them on my first round and have been sold ever since.  Gaming the TSi3 driver and 3 wood and am loving them also.  I have hit the 200s and they are nice clubs for sure but not quite as forgiving as the 300s.   Good luck in your decision

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, CSwinton said:

Thanks for the input.  

When you say you used the AMT red in longer irons, what was your cutoff? Not looking for something to copy, just interested in the thought process.  Thanks.

I'm slower ; using AMT Black R300 in 8-Gw......7-4 have AMT RED......initially just did the 4/5 iron......added 6/7 after following round.....

Here is 6i from 171 on a par 3:Screenshot_20201125-181617_Gallery.jpg.833006f85811cbf08bf2112130b19f1b.jpg

Wasn't hit flush either ! So I'm not seeing the penalizing mishits.....nvm...... these definitely feel better the predecessor AP3 but not as good as my previous set  ....Srixon Z785.....they are not intended to feel as good as a one piece forged but this multi-material head is more than adequate......also they are point n shoot irons......not a ton of ball movement 

32 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Ok.......you win......not what you said but whatevs.....

@CSwinton enjoy your clubs, whichever model you decide on

I’m thinking about t300s myself. Here’s how I look at it, why play a club that will penalize a slight micraps when you could play one that doesn’t. I’ve been playing G25 irons for almost 10 years. I’ve been as low as a +2, and there isn’t a shot I can’t hit with them. Unless the feel is night and day it’s hard to give up forgiveness..

Just for reference...... Above is EXACTLY what I wrote verbatim. Please highlight where I said t200 was unforgiving or intimidating. In fact, feel free to highlight where I even mentioned t200.

Edited by hammergolf

Evnroll TR8 33"

59 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

I would take the Maltby ratings with a bucketload of salt. They've put the 695CB's into the "Game Improvement" category alongside the AP3's, fewer than 30 points behind. While that might be the case on paper using their methods, the on-course reality is totally different.

Edited by steventoo
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, hammergolf said:

I’m thinking about t300s myself. Here’s how I look at it, why play a club that will penalize a slight micraps when you could play one that doesn’t. I’ve been playing G25 irons for almost 10 years. I’ve been as low as a +2, and there isn’t a shot I can’t hit with them. Unless the feel is night and day it’s hard to give up forgiveness..

Just for reference...... Above is EXACTLY what I wrote verbatim. Please highlight where I said t200 was unforgiving or intimidating. In fact, feel free to highlight where I even mentioned t200.

I'll say you insinuated that the T200 was the club that will penalize you vs the T300 would help ......mainly because the OP asked for a COMPARISON of these TWO irons......if for some reason these aren't the 2 clubs you're comparing,  then my bad for ASSUMING you were comparing T200 and T300......again.....you win

• Like 1

I was fortunate to demo the T300, 7-iron and the T200, 7-iron for three days. I had the AMT S300 Red and Black shafts and the handy wrench to swap out the shafts and set them at 2* flat. I easily hit 50+ balls each day with these clubs. I hit balls on our course, which is fairly empty at this time of the year. I played from the fairway, the rough, and from divots. I flighted the ball down and worked it both ways. I played shots to elevated greens. I played shots into the wind, with the wind, uphill lies, downhill lies.  My conclusion, the T200s let me do it all. The T300s required a lot of effort on my part to see the results I was looking for. The surprising part was the T200s are very forgiving. My fitter was very generous, allowing me to take these clubs from his Titleist kit, but he made a sale! 

If you have the opportunity to put both clubs through their paces, you’ll reach your own conclusion. For me, the T200s passed the test. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was fit into a combo set t200/t300 last year. T300 in 4 thru 7, and t200 in 8 thru GW. 

Prior to that I played Nickent 6DX irons, and then a year in callaway Rogue X, both of which I’d call SGI. 

After playing about 20 rounds I decided to change out the 6 and 7 from t300 to t200. Something about the t200 fits my eye better. I think the thinner sole and top line encourage me to have a swing thought that is better suited for those irons. I can’t articulate it well enough, it’s totally a personal feel thing. 

As a 10ish handicap, I think 6 is the longest iron I would be comfortable with in t200. At least for how much I play (2-3 times a month now). If I played a ton more I might get enough confidence to hit 5 in the t200. 

So this post is intended to showcase that there may be some subjective things to think about other than measured forgiveness. T200 helps me make a better swing up to a certain point. 

Edited by Arlin964
  • Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60

TM SIM Ti 3W - PX Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 70

Titleist TS2 19* 3H - PX Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 80

Titleist T300 4i & 5i - TT DG AMT Black S300

Titleist T200 6i - 48*W - TT DG AMT Black S300

Vokey SM8 52F08 & 58D12 - TT DG S200

Odyssey Triple Track  Stroke Lab Ten S

15 minutes ago, Moonlightgrm said:

I was fortunate to demo the T300, 7-iron and the T200, 7-iron for three days. I had the AMT S300 Red and Black shafts and the handy wrench to swap out the shafts and set them at 2* flat. I easily hit 50+ balls each day with these clubs. I hit balls on our course, which is fairly empty at this time of the year. I played from the fairway, the rough, and from divots. I flighted the ball down and worked it both ways. I played shots to elevated greens. I played shots into the wind, with the wind, uphill lies, downhill lies.  My conclusion, the T200s let me do it all. The T300s required a lot of effort on my part to see the results I was looking for. The surprising part was the T200s are very forgiving. My fitter was very generous, allowing me to take these clubs from his Titleist kit, but he made a sale! 

If you have the opportunity to put both clubs through their paces, you’ll reach your own conclusion. For me, the T200s passed the test. 

Awesome fitting my friend.....pretty much the only thing that could be BETTER is a 5i, 7i and pw from sets to compare......but since that's next to impossible yours is awesomeness! Thanks for sharing and ENJOY the T200's 

#T200rulz

Can anyone comment if these two irons have a similar feel on well struck shots?

Also is the sole on the T300 larger than the PXG 0211?

Asking for a friend 😉

Edited by SCOTT4099

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

In my fitting session for T200, the fitter had my try T300s. I hit them 8 yards farther but seemed to have tighter distance control with the T200. Went with T200ss and changed from stiff DG S300 to regular AMT Red. They felt better on a blind test than the stiff AMT Black and hit my numbers. It is hard to pass up the savings with the T300 however.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, columbuslinks said:

In my fitting session for T200, the fitter had my try T300s. I hit them 8 yards farther but seemed to have tighter distance control with the T200. Went with T200ss and changed from stiff DG S300 to regular AMT Red. They felt better on a blind test than the stiff AMT Black and hit my numbers. It is hard to pass up the savings with the T300 however.

I completely forgot about price differential.....I grabbed my set of T200 4-gw new for 600 less than in store pricing.....I'll assume that cast T300 is inline with a sub 1000 pricing?

11 hours ago, steventoo said:

I would take the Maltby ratings with a bucketload of salt. They've put the 695CB's into the "Game Improvement" category alongside the AP3's, fewer than 30 points behind. While that might be the case on paper using their methods, the on-course reality is totally different.

I agree with this. The MPF individual measurements are somewhat useful, more than the overall rating number. I think there is a point where the forgiveness difference is not all that significant between the ones they rate game improvement vs super game improvement. A lot of players won’t notice much difference. To me the T200 is plenty forgiving. Maybe I’d notice more forgiveness in a T300 4 iron, I don’t know. Definitely worth a demo. But in mid and short irons, I know it really wouldn’t make a difference for me. I’ve been down that road with many series of irons. There is a point of diminishing returns when you go seeking more and more forgiveness with larger heads. The bottom line is you’ve got to be able to hit the shot and if you’re always contacting all over the face, that’s a fundamental swing issue. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

I agree with this. The MPF individual measurements are somewhat useful, more than the overall rating number. I think there is a point where the forgiveness difference is not all that significant between the ones they rate game improvement vs super game improvement. A lot of players won’t notice much difference. To me the T200 is plenty forgiving. Maybe I’d notice more forgiveness in a T300 4 iron, I don’t know. Definitely worth a demo. But in mid and short irons, I know it really wouldn’t make a difference for me. I’ve been down that road with many series of irons. There is a point of diminishing returns when you go seeking more and more forgiveness with larger heads. The bottom line is you’ve got to be able to hit the shot and if you’re always contacting all over the face, that’s a fundamental swing issue. 

Its a general guide and a useful one but not the definitive answer.  No substitute for hitting the irons yourself with a proper fitting but a good starting point and relatively accurate for what it is.

• Like 1

I got fit for T300's in July - I like them, but wish I went with the 200's. 

The sweet spot is large, so mishits still fly off the face, but it's hard to maintain distance control because shots hit dead-on-the-nuts will fly 20-30 yards further. The 300's are, in my opinion, very springy. I've overshot too many greens to count at this point. 

It should be noted this could be a shaft issue - I have project X LZ's. The  stock AMT reds felt like spaghetti noodles. 

TS2 10.5 w/ Smoke Black 60  6.0 

GBB Epic 15 w/ HZRDUS 65 T800 6.0 

Mavrik 18 w/ Riptide 70 6.0 

816 H1 22 w/ Proforce 100 Stiff 

T300 w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-GW 

SM4 52-8, 58-8 

Odyssey Black #2 

My understanding is that the T300s are very much like the Ping G series ... size and performance wise. I can say the PXG 0211s are noticeably smaller than the G700 series - both in blade length and sole width (I posted pics to the 0211 thread) ... 0211s are really between i and G series Pings and may be more like between T200s and T300s.

The Ping Hoofer 14 bag:
Ping G410+

Ping G410 5w

Ping G410 3h, 4h, 5h

Ping G410 6 to PW

Ping Glide 2.0 50° & 56°

Ping Glide Forged 60°

SeeMore PCB

Revolving Bench: PXG Gen 1 0211 5 to GW / Scotty Circa 62 no. 6 / Odyssey O-Works 2 Ball