Any lower handicaps play SGI? Just ordered PXG SGI

I play off 5 so not super low handicap but I am a pretty good ball striker. I have had the srixon 565's in the bag for years now, they're not quite sgi but definitely super forgiving. The main reason I haven't replacement is because the thicker soles seem to interact with the turf better than any thinner ones for me. 

Mavrik SZ 10.5 @ 9.5- Evenflow T1100 65x

917 f3 13.5 @ 14.25- Tour AD DI 7x

TP UDI 3 iron- hzrdus handcrafted black 105x

z565 4-p- DG x100

RTX 4 51 mid, 56 mid, 60 low

Phantom X 5.5/ 2016 Newport 2.5/ Nike Method Midnight 008

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my bat signal went off

I'm a 0.6 right now. I typically get to around 0.0-0.5 in midsummer the past ~ 4 years. Prior to that i was around 2-3 index for a good 5-6 years. And prior to that i was a 0-1 for about 5 years maxin

I am around 6 and was 4 (don't know whether it should be called as low handicap...) and I played full hybrids from 3 to PW (guess they are a fair set of SGIs)   The current WITB has been cha

Posted Images

I have a buddy/mentor who's now 72 and is the best putter I've ever seen. He's always between -2 and scratch as long as he can play from an equitable distance. He plays PING G2 irons he won back in 2004 and doesn't want to change. I've offered to buy him any irons he wants and he sticks with what he has. There's a certain comfort in familiarity, especially if you know how to use it.

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 21* 7WD                    Fujikura Ventus Red 9X
MIURA CB57 5-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                       MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

On 11/30/2020 at 1:30 PM, Honixx said:

They aren't my cup of tea visually, but as always, performance should be the only metric that counts.  Within reason of course....Cleveland VAS.

The VAS and Pavin's mustache...a match made in VHS-quality TV heaven!   Just recently I saw a YouTube video where the person made fun of the VAS and ended up hitting them really well.  🙂

Bridgestone J's Professional Weapon 10.5*
TM 15* Tour Burner FlexTwist Titanium Shaft

Ping Eye2 BeCu 2-SW, ZZ65 w/Cushin

Ping Zing2 BeCu Putter

47 minutes ago, Frakes said:

I completely agree with some of the comments.  The biggest issue I had in the past is with decent clubhead speed, the GI clubs just launched WAY too high and spun too much to be helpful.  As I have been pretty steep as well, the wider soles just don't work well in firmer turf.  I am around a 4 index

However, the concept of GI and SGI have really evolved with many of the clubs mentioned here.  I still find it interesting as some tour player are playing i210s vs the blueprints.  T100 vs MBs, etc.  If they are playing the more forgiving clubs, why do I think I should play something less forgiving?

The first part of this comment applies to me. I play a set of Z745's to a 2 HC. A lot of the "more forgiving" clubs that I try just launch the ball way to high for my liking. I imagine I could look at some of the newer clubs that have come out since I haven't looked for some time. I've debated putting a Z545 3 iron in the bag because it is a beast, but now just swap between the Z745 3 iron and a U45 hybrid depending on conditions.

Tried PXG 0211's, as i'm playing a little less these days, hit well indoors on trackman. Played 1 real round and got rid of them, just not for me.  On turf, looking down at the ball, the feeling i got was.... aim to hit it somewhere from here to here, rather than hitting the middle of the golf ball. The way they went through the turf felt garbage to me too, even though I had thought it would be ok.

Now have a set of MC-501's which are an "easy to hit" muscleback.

• Thanks 1

910D3 8.5* 
910F 17* 
AP2 (714) 3-PW 
Cleveland 588 Forged 50*/54*/60* 
SC Newport2 Pro Platinum

2 minutes ago, Mcc1972 said:

Not yet. Supposed  to get my clubs next week. 

After you've played a few rounds of golf with the new SGI clubs I expect you will find that some shots you prefer playing with the large heads and other shots you played better with the relatively small head Titleist CB irons.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Arccos has me at a 5.2 but with the approach play of a 3.3 over 30ish rounds with an off the rack set of Cleveland launcher HBs. Most of these rounds are on a “short course” with 3 par 4s and 6 par 3s per side, with relatively small greens, so it does demand decent ball striking, albeit off of tee box lies. 

While I agree to launcher hb’s look ridiculous, when you dig in they are a weird blend. Yes, they are huge, but the lofts aren’t completely silly (30* 7i), they have minimal offset (1.8 down to the 6 and only 2.3 in the 4), and they generate appropriate spin for the number on the bottom of the club. 

I moved into these after gaming true blades and “player’s performance” irons for years. Honestly my swing isn’t even that great (slight ott/stand into it) but these cover up so much - especially low on the face. I dont feel like I lose anything on heel/toe strikes either. When I am swinging well, I hit absolute lasers with them that launch high and land soft. I never find a ball more than 2yds away from it’s pitch mark on a well struck shot. 

I might play around with something different this winter, but it is going to take alot to knock these out of the bag. My only complaint is they launch pretty high so I am probably a full club short of something else. It’s all about tradeoffs and playing to your set’s strengths. 

33B8B4B8-E10F-4AF7-B54B-030642DCE8CB.jpeg

Handicap (Arccos calculated):  4.7

Current Bag:
Big Dog: Cobra SZ Pars\Stripes, Ventus Blue 6s

FW: Ole Blue

Hybrids: TM 2 Rescue, Cobra f7 
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: TM EF 50, PM Grind 58\64

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: TP5x for now

I am sure there are plenty of good players that use SGI irons.  But it's a choice, and only few exists in my social network.  Most of the guys I am familiar with use "Player" or Classic CB style irons, mostly because none get paid to play ugly SGI, like pros on various tours.

I always chuckle when someone says so-and-so on tour won or was in X spot ahead of others playing blades or...  As if that means anything to good golfers.  I play blades and have beat and been beaten by guys playing GI and SGI irons and I am always much older. 

Again, the equipment we chose to play is nothing more than a choice as to how we want to go about the game, maybe golf goals and priorities.  Just like I don't care what cars friends drive and they don't care what I drive, except when I am going over 100mph.   

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1

This really comes down to fit, and finding clubs that spin & launch properly for your game. I'm a 2 and plan to get fit for a new set next year. Currently playing a combo set of X-Forged(P-8) and Apex CF16(7-4). The Apex 7 iron in my game is right on the line of launching too high but it's otherwise amazing. When I go in for a new set I want the most forgiving club possible that still spins and launches appropriately. Thinking that could be something like the Ping i210's, but I wouldn't be opposed to something even more forgiving. 

14 hours ago, BCULAW said:

You are describing me. I have played blades most of my golfing life, but will go in on a set of GI irons every couple of years for kicks.  It is ALWAYS the latest G series. 

For me, it is just a perfect GI iron. It is an iron that packs a lot of technology and GI traits into a profile that is pleasing at address. Ping doesn't go off the rails with it's design and aesthetics, and I genuinely love the way they look and feel. I am a forged iron guy for the most part, but, if you asked me to choose an iron set for life, I would choose a G series iron. Just an outstanding, timeless product that you know will do what it was designed to do. 

interesting so do you play better with the G series than your blades?  I’m interested in doing the same so I’m wondering how your scores compared. Thanks

I am not a low hdcp.(25), but I have been playing long enough(20+) to know that whatever you have in your bag has to make you feel confident when you pull a club out of the bag that you will make the shot needed. Been playing Cally X-20's for awhile(10), and just never really got comfortable with them. Ordered a full set(4-pw) of hybrids, sold my irons BEFORE they arrived, played 2 rounds with my new hybrids, and I see my game improving when next season rolls around. I already had 2 hybrids in my bag, and they always felt great, and always got the job done for me. I have been to instructors for swing tweaks, and they never ever said that I should look into GI irons. My biggest problem is I just don't play enough, as I only played 6 rounds this past season.

Calaway Diablo Octane 10.5 R-flex
Calaway Diablo Octane 3 Wood R-flex
Snake Eyes Viper 3 Hybrid 18 deg R-flex
Calaway X-20 irons 4-Pw(uniflex)
Cleveland 900 Forged RTG (LB) 52-56-60
Carbite ZH-1 putter(super stroke 3.0)