PXG Gen 4 STICKS (Irons & Woods)... 2021

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are on the wrong site asking a question like that.  😂🤣

It's really not a PXG thread unless half the posts are by people who will never ever buy a PXG product

Just got home from my quick 30 minute fitting at PXG in Mesa for specs on my irons and rehit the Proto 5 wood. Perfect. Ordered it.   But.... got to hit the Gen4 P and it was crazy good for

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

I don’t think anything in the latest gens are a “gimmick” as these updates or evolutions in materials and processes, provide all of us a players selections and choices based on persona fit and feel. Definitely, different feels and preferences amongst the various generations and that’s good for us as players/customers IMO. 

Gimmicks or not, no way I spend $349/ea on cheap forged in China irons. They can claim 5x forged but still doesnt make Chinese forgings quality.

I'll stick with the high end Japanese guys like Grindworks, Epon, Miura, Kyoei, or Seven.

Edited by Kaexo
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Hacker541 said:

I think they are also still the best performing to this point. I demo'd the gen 3's and really had no noticeable gains in dispersion or ball speed.

to me the Gen3s felt mushy I had several sets of Gen3 and they were shorter than my Gen2s I still have a set of the XPs really not impressed with those

• Like 2
1 minute ago, ssfranny said:

to me the Gen3s felt mushy I had several sets of Gen3 and they were shorter than my Gen2s I still have a set of the XPs really not impressed with those

If I could find one positive to the Gen 3's from my Gen 2's I did feel like the turf interaction was better, but I still preferred the feel of my current set. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hacker541 said:

If I could find one positive to the Gen 3's from my Gen 2's I did feel like the turf interaction was better, but I still preferred the feel of my current set. 

Frankly the 0211Sts the prettiest clubs theyve made.  They should come out with a larger ST or like the 0211FB as the look for the Gen4

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Kaexo said:

Gimmicks or not, no way I spend $349/ea on cheap forged in China irons. They can claim 5x forged but still doesnt make Chinese forgings quality.

I'll stick with the high end Japanese guys like Grindworks, Epon, Miura, Kyoei, or Seven.

1 hour ago, Kaexo said:

$349/ea for irons that are forged in China (Confirmed by PXG)... They are laughing all the way to the bank. Will Gen5 be 6x forged since the Gen 4s are 5x? Whatever the hell that means...

I'll stick with Grindworks, Kyoei, Epon, or Miura at that price point.

4 hours ago, mikey6866 said:

How so?  Pretty soon people will be able to buy them for something around 149$ per club new.  Anybody that bought the gen 3's for 300 a club shouldent be too excited that they wont even be able to recoup half of what they spent a year ago.

You're absolutely correct. It was more of a reaction statement after seeing the Gen 4 irons.

Mr. Wolfe

PXG is getting worse at this.. Not appealing at all. They have fallen a long ways since the Johnny Wunder "disrupters" series of articles.. Now we get yelled at by Bob on the golf channel all day. They are pricing their clubs basically the same as everything else. 

No thanks.. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Have a fitting scheduled this Thursday at the new Mesa, Az store. Maybe...they will have Gen4 stuff. Really going to dial in my Proto Driver, 3 wood, and may try the Proto Hybrid. 

• Like 3

PXG 0811X Proto+ Tensei Pro White 60s
PXG 0341x Proto 15* Diamana S+ 70S
PXG 0341x Proto 18* Diamana S+ 70S

PXG 0211 22* Hybrid Riptide 6.0
PXG 2019 0211 5-GW Elevate Tour S
PXG 0311 Forged 54*/Camo 60* Elevate Tour S 
PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Bridgestone BX

2 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Have a fitting scheduled this Thursday at the new Mesa, Az store. Maybe...they will have Gen4 stuff. Really going to dial in my Proto Driver, 3 wood, and may try the Proto Hybrid. 

See if they will comment on "XCOR" and how it is better than the Dual COR material that was in the Gen3 irons?

• Like 1

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5 80g X

TAYLORMADE SIM2 RESCUE, 17*, Diamana Thump 105g X
TAYLORMADE SIM2 RESCUE, 22*, Diamana Thump 105g X
CALLAWAY APEX 21 TCB, 4 - AW, PX LS 6.5

CALLAWAY APEX 21 MB, 5 - AW, PX LS 6.5

CALLAWAY JAWS Forged Wedges, Chrome, 55/11C; 60/10C; PX LS 6.5

TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold

When i saw the gen 4 release earlier my first reaction was going to be to check out the posts here and they are pretty much predictable.  Why not wait until they release them and TRY THEM.   I tried the Titleist TSi drivers compared to my TS2 and there was no difference whatsoever in any of my numbers so not sure what that tells you.  Maybe these Gen 4's are actually better than the others?   As far as the price, who cares.   If you can't afford them move on.  They're golf clubs, not coming up with the cure for cancer here.  Titleist releasing new irons in September so plenty of time to enjoy this upcoming season and see how everything pan out before deciding on PXG or not.   

Edited by mtnbiker5
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, evoviiiyou said:

It's cool listening to Brad explain everything.

I think being about to test different swing weights at the fitter level is a game changer. It took me a few sets of irons to realize what swing weights were best for me.

The big screw with the sunburst milling is really growing on me.

I like that they went back to a 1-piece core. I stuck with the Gen2s because I didn't like the impact reactor. The middle of the face was too hot compared to miss hits causing poor front to back dispersion. I think Gen3 was a bit of a fail for PXG after the success of Gen1 and Gen2.

I had the 0211 as well and not being able to swing weight them sucked. The most I could get with Accra shafts was D0 and that was way too light for me in the 8i to GW.

It sucks to see the haters complaining because I think PXG is doing a great job. The fact they are also lowering prices now is awesome for everyone.

• Like 1

What's the deal with the XT? I get the X and XF, but what do you guys think the XT is about?

PXG 0811X Proto+ Tensei Pro White 60s
PXG 0341x Proto 15* Diamana S+ 70S
PXG 0341x Proto 18* Diamana S+ 70S

PXG 0211 22* Hybrid Riptide 6.0
PXG 2019 0211 5-GW Elevate Tour S
PXG 0311 Forged 54*/Camo 60* Elevate Tour S 
PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Bridgestone BX

Sounds like Gen 4 is going to be the "in-between" of Gen 2 and Gen 3. Slightly firmer feel and more consistent distance between center and off center strikes. The Gen 3 were capable of explosive numbers if you can center them every time. 

If they keep the same shaft options/upcharges with a $349 launch price I don't expect these to sell very well but Im still interested enough to go demo them. 

The good news is, they might be $349 at launch, $299 at lunch, and $199 before the end of the week. 

• Haha 3
43 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

What's the deal with the XT? I get the X and XF, but what do you guys think the XT is about?

In the video Brad says it’s more “Tour” inspired...shape wise and aerodynamics too. So 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

DriverCobra Radspeed XB (10.5) Season Opener / Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch PVD 60 (6.0) or PXG Gen4 0811x (10.5) / Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch PVD 60 (6.0)
Fairway:  Taylormade Sim Max Rocket (14) / Aldila Tour Blue 65 (stiff)

Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5) / Hzrdus Red 75 (6.0)

Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3-4 (20.5) / Aldila Tour Blue 85 (stiff)
Irons:  PXG O.G. 0211 (5 - Gw) / T.T. Elevate Tour (x-stiff)
Wedge:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore Raw (54/12) / Nippon Modus 125w
Wedge:  TM Hi-Toe (60/10) / KBS Hi Rev 2.0

Putter:  Mannkrafted MA/55 (Custom) or Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa #9Ht (Custom)
Bag:  Bennington LQO-9

My bag has slowly crept to only two clubs that are not PXG at this point.  

Gen2 3w, 7w, 22 hybrid and original 0211’s (5-LW). Still trying out shafts in the fairways but love the Fuji Pro 2.0 in the hybrid.

Mavrik is in danger as I have the Proto 0811X and X+ that just shipped today from PXG Express on eBay.

Hope to get a fitting scheduled at Carl’s Golfland to try them vs the Mavrik in the next few weeks to keep just one.

Odyssey 2Ball Ten Tour Lined has been pre-ordered through DD today but not expected to ship until 3/12.

Only real problem is we got 10” of snow overnight and today so it may be a while before we see grass again. 

794F909C-21B8-433C-A3F4-AD9BC9F54379.jpeg.bbc46ded19b071c2e50e119c994ab564.jpegC9194031-A6C9-4B49-88A9-0A92D14A8F7E.jpeg.35ec3690e0868a0a44afb1c9c1a3169b.jpeg

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

Same with me, no clue what they can do to beat it, it's the perfect hybrid. 

I had one built up during the clearance sale at $130 

17* with Tensei Pro White 100TX - the idea was to replace my 0311X driving iron with something a little more versatile but similar ball flight and this thing delivers. Bullets! 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

☝️IMO best hybrid I have ever hit. Bag two of them. Haven’t hit the Proto or Gen4 but hard to believe anything can beat the Gen2 0317X hyburritos! 

I think the 0317 Hybrid was their best original club. I still keep the 22 Hy around 5 yrs later. Just need the right shaft. Great out of rough.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Primary Bag:

Callaway Epic Speed 9; Epic Max 9 ● Mizuno STZ 5 wd/Motore F3 6 ● SIM Max 4H/Accra FX 2.0 200 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 50, 55, 59/Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 125 ● Swag Savage Too ● Options: Epic Speed 7 wd/Riptide 70, Mizuno STZ 3 wd/Motore F3 6, TEE EXS 3, 4 Hy/GD AD Hy 65