2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PXG Gen 4 STICKS (Irons & Woods)... 2021

TRC723

On 4/3/2021 at 6:46 PM, OspreyCI said:

I think you wild find is what you are expecting. 

Well you were right.  Had my fitting yesterday and ended up upgrading my Gen 3 irons to Gen 4 and my Proto driver to Gen 4.  As soon, as I hit my first 4 shots with the  Gen 4 iron, I knew it was upgrading.   Great feel, seemed more accurate, great ball flight and longer (which really don’t need).

Now need to sell my Gen 3 irons (only used about maybe 12 rounds) and my Proto driver.  

I also hit the Sugar Daddy wedges.  Those sure are nice.   I wanted to try the new Brandon putter, but they did not have it yet.  I have a Gen 2 Brandon putter.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GFish said:

Well you were right.  Had my fitting yesterday and ended up upgrading my Gen 3 irons to Gen 4 and my Proto driver to Gen 4.  As soon, as I hit my first 4 shots with the  Gen 4 iron, I knew it was upgrading.   Great feel, seemed more accurate, great ball flight and longer (which really don’t need).

Now need to sell my Gen 3 irons (only used about maybe 12 rounds) and my Proto driver.  

I also hit the Sugar Daddy wedges.  Those sure are nice.   I wanted to try the new Brandon putter, but they did not have it yet.  I have a Gen 2 Brandon putter.

At a PXG store? Just wondering in regards to the putter - I really want to try the new Closer model when they release that - but it seems crazy they wouldn’t have the new Brandon there, since it was announced 2 weeks ago and all 

I don’t t know how or why this is happening but the Gen4 are way more accurate for me. I have been hitting my gen3 against the Gen4 on a GCQuad and the dispersion of the Gen4 is just incredible. Yardages are about the same but wow, the Gen4 dispersion is hands down better. Same shaft, same loft/lie/length, same grips, same swingweight. Not different variance but Gen4 is a definite improvement over gen3 and I gamed my gen3 longer than any other set of irons in my entire life. 

Edited by StillCantPutt
  • Like 1

Said it before... Gen4 P’s are the best irons I have ever hit. Hands down. 

Just can’t afford them yet. New child tax credit may do it. Love my kids!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

8 hours ago, StillCantPutt said:

I don’t t know how or why this is happening but the Gen4 are way more accurate for me. I have been hitting my gen3 against the Gen4 on a GCQuad and the dispersion of the Gen4 is just incredible. Yardages are about the same but wow, the Gen4 dispersion is hands down better. Same shaft, same loft/lie/length, same grips, same swingweight. Not different variance but Gen4 is a definite improvement over gen3 and I gamed my gen3 longer than any other set of irons in my entire life. 

Wait, a set of irons that have been out for ~16 months is the longest you’ve used an iron set?  What a true WRXer!

• Haha 2

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

47 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

I think he really liked it!!

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Hi! I finally hit the gen4 irons and the proto three and five wood at the PXG HQ in Scottsdale. I am currently gaming the gen3s (4 & 5 XP, 6 & 7 P, 8-PW T and Proto driver) and really love them. My handicap is 3.3 and just shot a 77 at Papago from the blue tees (normally play black) but bogeyed the last three holes. Ugh! This is all for reference. 

Anyway, I warmed up with my seven iron and then proceeded trying the gen 4. At first it was ok until he changed the center weight. I went from D0 to D3 (8 gram to 15 weight...I think). That made a big difference. The feel was better than my gen3 and distance increased about an average of five+ yards. But for me distance is not a top priority...it is all about feel and dispersion improvement which happened during my session. So, I ordered the 8,9 and PW in gen4 (will be ready in seven days). That interchangeable center weight and new goo is the difference. Lol! 

Woods: The proto three wood was an instant hit. The feel was great! Once the rep adjusted the head weights (heavier in the toe) I consistently hit good shots (avg 255 yard carry ...total 270ish). Oh, Ventus shaft for the three (same as my driver). The five wood was good as well but did not order since I have a hybrid for my 235 yd club. Overall, PXG did it once again and continue to make fantastic products. Well done! 

• Like 1

I was finally able to take the full bag Gen4s to the club today. I enlisted my pro to work on a couple of swing issues and to also be the unbiased judge on the clubs.

First the irons (Gen4 Ps); they are amazing. Long, great feel and straight. The best irons I have ever hit. Blew the 790s and T 200s away. 

In a bit of a surprise, the Proto + with a Ventus (velacore) Blue shaft was easily better than the Gen4 with Ventus Red. I will test the Gen4 with the Blue, but it is hard to see anything beating out the Proto +.

I did turn the Gen4 3 wood (Tensei blue) to 16.5 and really liked the ball flight. I will order a Ventus blue for the 3 Wood and see how it works.

With the full bag Gen 4 purchase, I also received the battle ready Bat Attack. Really, really, really like the weight, balance and alignment with this putter.

• Like 3

PXG Proto +, 10.5 turned to 9; Ventus 
PXG Gen4 3 metal ; Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4  5 metal;  Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4 hybrid; 21 degrees
PXG Gen4 Ps; 5-Gap with Nippon 950gh S
PXG Sugar Daddy wedges; 54 and 58; Nippon 950gh S

PXG 38” counter balanced, PXG Mustang

Titleist Pro V1x

7 hours ago, DLBTide7 said:

I was finally able to take the full bag Gen4s to the club today. I enlisted my pro to work on a couple of swing issues and to also be the unbiased judge on the clubs.

First the irons (Gen4 Ps); they are amazing. Long, great feel and straight. The best irons I have ever hit. Blew the 790s and T 200s away. 

In a bit of a surprise, the Proto + with a Ventus (velacore) Blue shaft was easily better than the Gen4 with Ventus Red. I will test the Gen4 with the Blue, but it is hard to see anything beating out the Proto +.

I did turn the Gen4 3 wood (Tensei blue) to 16.5 and really liked the ball flight. I will order a Ventus blue for the 3 Wood and see how it works.

With the full bag Gen 4 purchase, I also received the battle ready Bat Attack. Really, really, really like the weight, balance and alignment with this putter.

Congrats! Looking for the jealous emoji😲

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 4/8/2021 at 6:51 PM, JMac02 said:

At a PXG store? Just wondering in regards to the putter - I really want to try the new Closer model when they release that - but it seems crazy they wouldn’t have the new Brandon there, since it was announced 2 weeks ago and all 

I was at a scheduled PXG fitting.  They have a dedicated setup at New Albany CC, New Albany, OH.  

• Thanks 1

I need some help from those who have hit the Gen4 drivers - what are the differences between the X and the XT? The fact that they have 3 models is very confusing to me. For reference, I'm a high-speed swinger. Driver is 120mph and currently game a Sim2 8* with a Ventus Black 6x tipped 1 ". What is the appropriate model to order for a high speed swing?

5 minutes ago, StillCantPutt said:

I need some help from those who have hit the Gen4 drivers - what are the differences between the X and the XT? The fact that they have 3 models is very confusing to me. For reference, I'm a high-speed swinger. Driver is 120mph and currently game a Sim2 8* with a Ventus Black 6x tipped 1 ". What is the appropriate model to order for a high speed swing?

I've heard the XT is more like a TSI4. Great for high speed players.

13 minutes ago, StillCantPutt said:

XT has a slightly different design to be more aerodynamic for high speed players looking for more ball speed. It's also less forgiving. The X is is more forgiving and lower spin. There's a chart on PXG website which actually shows a performance comparison of all three drivers.

54 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

XT has a slightly different design to be more aerodynamic for high speed players looking for more ball speed. It's also less forgiving. The X is is more forgiving and lower spin. There's a chart on PXG website which actually shows a performance comparison of all three drivers.

I saw the chart, thank you. Just don’t understand how it can be lower spin and more forgiving? Typically if it is lower spin, it is less forgiving.

2 hours ago, StillCantPutt said:

I saw the chart, thank you. Just don’t understand how it can be lower spin and more forgiving? Typically if it is lower spin, it is less forgiving.

I'm not an engineer, but I'll play one now, XT has a smaller face and tear drop head shape different from the X. PXG is able to adjust the center of gravity in the X head to produce a more forgiving lower spinning outcome than in the XT. IMO, unless you're nutting it like a tour pro and just like the tear drop look, going with the X is the right choice due to the bonus of forgiveness. As usual, please consult a local PXG fitter, and not some guy playing an engineer on golf chat board, prior to purchasing to make sure you make the right purchase for your game. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I ordered the Gen 4 on 4/6 and was told prices shouldnt be dropping anytime soon.  Low and behold, they dropped already.  This is the 3rd time this has happened to me.  Ill go through the process and Im sure they will credit me back the difference but this is just stupid every new release they have,  they do this

Update: I had my fitting on Saturday and pick up my clubs two days later...unbelievable! Granted I only ordered PW, 9, 8 and 3W. I hit them outside today and the feel has improved over the gen3s. They are quieter at impact and distance is a bit longer (+/- 5 yards). I think these irons are fantastic! 

For the 3W, the sound is tingy and the flight is lower than my gamer. I have the same shaft as my driver (Ventus white x-flex). I still need some time with it since it is different than my gamer. 

Hi! I finally hit the gen4 irons and the proto three and five wood at the PXG HQ in Scottsdale. I am currently gaming the gen3s (4 & 5 XP, 6 & 7 P, 8-PW T and Proto driver) and really love them. My handicap is 3.3 and just shot a 77 at Papago from the blue tees (normally play black) but bogeyed the last three holes. Ugh! This is all for reference. 

Anyway, I warmed up with my seven iron and then proceeded trying the gen 4. At first it was ok until he changed the center weight. I went from D0 to D3 (8 gram to 15 weight...I think). That made a big difference. The feel was better than my gen3 and distance increased about an average of five+ yards. But for me distance is not a top priority...it is all about feel and dispersion improvement which happened during my session. So, I ordered the 8,9 and PW in gen4 (will be ready in seven days). That interchangeable center weight and new goo is the difference. Lol! 

Woods: The proto three wood was an instant hit. The feel was great! Once the rep adjusted the head weights (heavier in the toe) I consistently hit good shots (avg 255 yard carry ...total 270ish). Oh, Ventus shaft for the three (same as my driver). The five wood was good as well but did not order since I have a hybrid for my 235 yd club. Overall, PXG did it once again and continue to make fantastic products. Well done! 

Edited by jrice19
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, InsuranceGuy89 said:

Referring to driver. Should have specified . Irons did drop to 300 for hero’s though 

Yup looks like driver is down to $449 for both regular and Hero's pricing. Irons were always $300 for Hero's, so I don't think there are changes there.

Battle Ready putters did go down to $295 for both regular and Hero's. I believe they were $285 at one point a few months ago for Hero's though.

On 3/11/2021 at 9:46 AM, BirdieBob said:

So, the Gen 4 0311.....T, P, XP info is out now with pre-orders.

I see that the 0311ST is due back in mid April. 

Q.  Will it be a Gen 4 with the center weight screw like its family members the T, P, XP?

Just spotted in a PXG bag at the Heritage...

The new Gen4 0311ST?

Notice the location of the PXG logo is different than the 0311 G4 irons which is lower on the toe.

1595809469_PXGSTG4.jpg.d2972fb5692480ae088f47ed3b9c792a.jpg

1891256898_PXGG4.jpg.c616aeccc6b98ed1c934612e7c2d1b45.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Ok, I'm ready to step to the irons- the only question i have is with the shaft choice- if im playing an elevate 105 s, is the elevate tour stiff going to be too heavy? I don't have much experience with heavier shafts and the only other club i've hit has the 95 r which is too soft for me. I'm thinking the elevate tours, but just concerned about weight- seems crazy I can't get the 105s stock but oh well.

Where can I get the big round weights for the irons? PXG wants me to ship back my irons to change them out which is a complete waste of time when I can just switch them out myself. They sent me 8.5G center weights but I need 10/10.5 center weights in order to achieve proper swing weight. I’d rather just find them on my own as opposed to waiting 3 weeks for them to perform such a simple switch. Someone has to be offering these things if not now,

soon. 

34 minutes ago, StillCantPutt said:

Where can I get the big round weights for the irons? PXG wants me to ship back my irons to change them out which is a complete waste of time when I can just switch them out myself. They sent me 8.5G center weights but I need 10/10.5 center weights in order to achieve proper swing weight. I’d rather just find them on my own as opposed to waiting 3 weeks for them to perform such a simple switch. Someone has to be offering these things if not now,

soon. 

Were you able to remove them or are they glued in with loctite?

Is there room behind them for a small piece of lead tape to get that 2g that you need?

Or pull heads and add a 2g brass tip weight....you did install the shafts per a prior post.

At this point in time I highly doubt there are any China duplicates of these yet.

Most pro builders are getting them from PXG...call PXG and see if they will sell them to you?

Edited by BirdieBob

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

24 minutes ago, StillCantPutt said:

soon. 

They're glued in, so you're only route would be to send them to PXG or lead tape. They're not offering these weights to the public like they do on the Protos and putters per my fitter. 

23 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

Were you able to remove them or are they glued in with loctite?

Is there room behind them for a small piece of lead tape to get that 2g that you need?

Or pull heads and add a 2g brass tip weight....you did install the shafts per a prior post.

At this point in time I highly doubt there are any China duplicates of these yet.

Most pro builders are getting them from PXG...call PXG and see if they will sell them to you?

It's blue locktite - I removed them very easily and found it's stamped 8.5g on the back of each weight. Good idea about the lead tape but not sure it would fit behind as it's pretty snug and I don't want to add tip weights - that's not where I want the weight distributed. Never liked them and would prefer to just do it right with the proper PXG weight. I called PXG and they said it would "void my warranty" if I did it myself. I said I could care less about a warranty as I already pulled the stock shafts and switched them out with PX LS shafts. I even offered to pay for the dang weights and they still won't send them. PXG customer service blows..... I said if they can't swap these out without me sending them back in (1 week shipping, 3-5 days to "swap" weights, 1 week shipping back = about 3 weeks time) I'm getting a refund and will be done with PXG. Has to be the most inefficient process on the planet. I already built the irons, IO'm competent enough to unscrew 6 weights (4-9iron) and screw in 6 more. MAKES ZERO SENSE

8 minutes ago, StillCantPutt said:

It's blue locktite - I removed them very easily and found it's stamped 8.5g on the back of each weight. Good idea about the lead tape but not sure it would fit behind as it's pretty snug and I don't want to add tip weights - that's not where I want the weight distributed. Never liked them and would prefer to just do it right with the proper PXG weight. I called PXG and they said it would "void my warranty" if I did it myself. I said I could care less about a warranty as I already pulled the stock shafts and switched them out with PX LS shafts. I even offered to pay for the dang weights and they still won't send them. PXG customer service blows..... I said if they can't swap these out without me sending them back in (1 week shipping, 3-5 days to "swap" weights, 1 week shipping back = about 3 weeks time) I'm getting a refund and will be done with PXG. Has to be the most inefficient process on the planet. I already built the irons, IO'm competent enough to unscrew 6 weights (4-9iron) and screw in 6 more. MAKES ZERO SENSE

2 g tip weights will not change anything except the SW slightly in a 270g head.

Pull the heads and add the weights and be done with it....that is what I had planned to do with light PXG  heads from my pro builder, but have gone another direction.

The whole point of the big weight is to make swingweighting a much simpler process. I've been told by a few at pxg that swingweight is very overrated but I just bite my tongue. They have to lose business with that attitude but yet the new gen 4 is designed to be easier to swingweight, so I think they must have been losing some sales. Most people think the weights can be switched out but once again pxg is being stupid about it. If someone wants to change the big weight just send them the weight. They paid almost 3grand so it should be the consumers call on changing it out themselves. 

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find