PXG Gen 4 STICKS (Irons & Woods)... 2021

TRC723

PXG makes it very clear when ordering the Gen 4 irons that the large weight is not field replaceable, and that any adjustments need to be sent back to them. PXG is just trying to protect themselves and their brand from disingenuous and potentially fallacious claims regarding performance, warranty, etc. In talking with my fitter he acknowledged that the weights could be removed by anyone with club building experience, but replacement weights are currently not available. He did say I could take them a PXG fitter and the fitter could handle sending in the clubs to get the correct weight installed. That, or I could handle it with PXC Customer Service. The other option is lead tape. Eventually someone besides PXG may make the weights available if they are not patented. Until then, I can't take shots at PXG for standing by their policy and protecting the integrity of their products.        

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomuch23 said:

The whole point of the big weight is to make swingweighting a much simpler process. I've been told by a few at pxg that swingweight is very overrated but I just bite my tongue. They have to lose business with that attitude but yet the new gen 4 is designed to be easier to swingweight, so I think they must have been losing some sales. Most people think the weights can be switched out but once again pxg is being stupid about it. If someone wants to change the big weight just send them the weight. They paid almost 3grand so it should be the consumers call on changing it out themselves. 

They're being real stupid...You know, because selling club weights is a very profitable business said no one ever...How about this, let a PXG rep fit you, dial in the swing weight during the fitting and the so called "problems" will be solved...Good grief, the things people cry about PXG over...SMH!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snagy2000 said:

They're being real stupid...You know, because selling club weights is a very profitable business said no one ever...How about this, let a PXG rep fit you, dial in the swing weight during the fitting and the so called "problems" will be solved...Good grief, the things people cry about PXG over...SMH!!!

You know, I’m all for this. Except there’s one minor problem. PXG does not offer a wide variety of shaft selection. They do not offer my shaft, project X LS so the fitter knew I would be pulling the shafts immediately to swap in my own shaft. He tried to take into account the shaft weight, length etc. when ordering the proper head weight but he miscalculated a little and they’re 2-3g light. For what they charge, they should do whatever the consumer asks. Period.

Edited by StillCantPutt
  • Like 1

It seems the issue is with your fitter, not PXG. He made a guesstimate and came up 2g light. Your fitter should take your irons and send them back to PXG to get this corrected. If he's a sanctioned PXG fitter, then he should have a way to expedite the correction including expedited shipping and contacts within PXG to expedite the weight exchange. It may cut down the lead time in getting your irons back to you. BTW- many luxury brands limit the options available to retail and don't do whatever the client wants. Try altering the factory spec's on a Porsche, BMW, or Mercedes for example and having any warranty work done. The dealer may do the work as a courtesy to its customer, but you are on your own from that point forward from the manufactures standpoint. They only stand behind what they sanction and offer as factory specifications and options.   

@StillCantPutt You can buy replacement screws on eBay for the small ones in 0.2g, 0.42g, 0.6g, 1.23g, 1.7g, 4g weight options. I'd pull the two weights one on either side of the big one and replace with what you need to get to your desired SW. Weight would still be centered which seems like your concern and likely much faster then 3 week turnaround PXG is quoting you. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, snipzky9 said:

@StillCantPutt You can buy replacement screws on eBay for the small ones in 0.2g, 0.42g, 0.6g, 1.23g, 1.7g, 4g weight options. I'd pull the two weights one on either side of the big one and replace with what you need to get to your desired SW. Weight would still be centered which seems like your concern and likely much faster then 3 week turnaround PXG is quoting you. 

Thanks for this! Good call. 

• Like 1

Played with the gen 4xf today and it didn’t make it to the back 9. My Gen 2 was just much better. I think it may have to do with the headweight of the gen 4 being lighter. I have the weight kit coming in so not going to worry too much just yet but wasn’t a good start. Couldn’t even find the face with the gen 4 and couldn’t not find the center of the face of the gen 2. Was very weird 

• Confused 1

• Like 2

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

cant wait to get these on trackman and see the ball speeds, im  a old dude so if I can buy distance, I gladly will hand over my dentures and social security benefits all for a few yards.  Im sure it won't help my score but we all like to feel we are not aging that poorly and if I see a 7i go as far as it went 10 years ago, ill be thrilled.  

Edited by puresurfr
  • Like 4

Any comparison pics? Still hitting my Gen 2 black P’s and didn’t care for the Gen 3 in comparison, thinking about a Gen 4 combo set P/T! 

Titleist TSR2 11 w/ 2024 Fujikura Ventus + Blue 6 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 4 wood 16.5 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7

Titleist TSR2 7 wood 21 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8 

PXG 0311X 18 w/ Graphite Design DI 95

PXG Gen 6 DC P's 5-GW w/ Fujikura Axiom 105

PXG SD2 56 w/ LA Golf WV 115

Titleist Vokey Proto 60K w/ LA Golf WV 115  

Scotty Cameron 009 

Titleist ProV1X

Vessel Player IV

On 4/22/2021 at 2:07 AM, ayc25 said:

Interestingly, PXG has added a few more non-upcharge iron shafts in addition to the TT Elevates. KBS Tour and Nippon NS Pro shafts are now available for no additional cost.

Now if they would just add 95 gram graphite non up charge shafts....

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, Lobber said:

$49 for Steel Fiber is a pretty significant upcharge per shaft when spending $349 per GEN 4 Iron

If they went back to their original all-inclusive pricing, then the irons would be $400 - $450 and drivers would $800+. I like the new pricing structure over the old. Either way, it's a shell game.

1 hour ago, snagy2000 said:

If they went back to their original all-inclusive pricing, then the irons would be $400 - $450 and drivers would $800+. I like the new pricing structure over the old. Either way, it's a shell game.

Recoils, Steelfiber, and MMT are all around the same price..... So the same pricing structure could still exist.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 4/23/2021 at 12:01 AM, puresurfr said:

cant wait to get these on trackman and see the ball speeds, im  a old dude so if I can buy distance, I gladly will hand over my dentures and social security benefits all for a few yards.  Im sure it won't help my score but we all like to feel we are not aging that poorly and if I see a 7i go as far as it went 10 years ago, ill be thrilled.  

Like you, I'm an old guy too.  did you get fit for them or did you just order?  I've toyed with the idea of going to Club Champion to get fit for a set of these, but right now, I'm in the honeymoon period with my Apex 21's and they are doing great.  But like you, I'd go to extremes for more distance.  Hell, when your 73 and you've got the cash (that you can't take with you), why not splurge a little on the things you enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, jjfcpa said:

Like you, I'm an old guy too.  did you get fit for them or did you just order?  I've toyed with the idea of going to Club Champion to get fit for a set of these, but right now, I'm in the honeymoon period with my Apex 21's and they are doing great.  But like you, I'd go to extremes for more distance.  Hell, when your 73 and you've got the cash (that you can't take with you), why not splurge a little on the things you enjoy.

Why not splurge on things u enjoy ?????    

Probably cause im too old to go to jail.......bwhahahhahahaha

• Like 2

On 4/12/2021 at 12:19 PM, InsuranceGuy89 said:

I ordered the Gen 4 on 4/6 and was told prices shouldnt be dropping anytime soon.  Low and behold, they dropped already.  This is the 3rd time this has happened to me.  Ill go through the process and Im sure they will credit me back the difference but this is just stupid every new release they have,  they do this

Don't bank on it.  I recently ordered Gen 4 irons, 2 forged (not sugar daddy) wedges and a gen 4 hybrid and Mustang Putter  After order was placed I discovered that for about $150 more I could have purchased a Full Bag Deal which would have added a Gen 4 Driver, Gen 4 Fairway wood, Sugar Daddy Wedges, a PXG Bag Gen 4 Putter and a hat!  I called PXG and explained the situation to them and asked them if they would send me the driver, fairway, sugar daddy wedges, bag and hat if  paid the difference.  They said they could not do that but I could return my order, pay a 15% restocking fee and pay for return shipping and then reorder.  I will take responsibility for missing the full bag deal on their website but am disappointed they won't work with me.

37 minutes ago, Lobber said:

Don't bank on it.  I recently ordered Gen 4 irons, 2 forged (not sugar daddy) wedges and a gen 4 hybrid and Mustang Putter  After order was placed I discovered that for about $150 more I could have purchased a Full Bag Deal which would have added a Gen 4 Driver, Gen 4 Fairway wood, Sugar Daddy Wedges, a PXG Bag Gen 4 Putter and a hat!  I called PXG and explained the situation to them and asked them if they would send me the driver, fairway, sugar daddy wedges, bag and hat if  paid the difference.  They said they could not do that but I could return my order, pay a 15% restocking fee and pay for return shipping and then reorder.  I will take responsibility for missing the full bag deal on their website but am disappointed they won't work with me.

Thats crazy....not only should they apologize for not pointing that a better deal could be had  but they should include a free gift along with your bag order.....Any customer who orders a full bag is their dream customer and should be accommodated fully.  Thats bad form Bob !!!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, puresurfr said:

Thats crazy....not only should they apologize for not pointing that a better deal could be had  but they should include a free gift along with your bag order.....Any customer who orders a full bag is their dream customer and should be accommodated fully.  Thats bad form Bob !!!

Agree completely.  Frankly pisses me off.  Feel free to reach out Bob.  Happy to talk to you.   Your customer service folks would not give me the time of day with my request

16 hours ago, Lobber said:

They took care of me. I asked for a weight kit instead of a credit and they obliged. Guess I got lucky. I would still definitely return your order though and reorder. Still come out way ahead. Definitely dumb though

Edited by InsuranceGuy89
Typos
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 4:08 PM, CampagnoloBob said:

It seems the issue is with your fitter, not PXG. He made a guesstimate and came up 2g light. Your fitter should take your irons and send them back to PXG to get this corrected. If he's a sanctioned PXG fitter, then he should have a way to expedite the correction including expedited shipping and contacts within PXG to expedite the weight exchange. It may cut down the lead time in getting your irons back to you. BTW- many luxury brands limit the options available to retail and don't do whatever the client wants. Try altering the factory spec's on a Porsche, BMW, or Mercedes for example and having any warranty work done. The dealer may do the work as a courtesy to its customer, but you are on your own from that point forward from the manufactures standpoint. They only stand behind what they sanction and offer as factory specifications and options.   

Porsche's Exclusive department will do just about anything you ask them to do. So will Bentley & Rolls Royce. That's the kind of market PXG is playing in with what they are charging. They should (& likely will, if asked), adjust the weights for you. The downside is the time without your clubs, which to me is the primary reason to want to DIY. 

FYI I have a Gen3 P/T combo set bought in late February. My distance gaps were wonky so I had them checked and the lofts were not to spec. The 8-iron was 3 degrees weak! The rest were off small amounts. Not thrilled but it's been warned by other PXG guys that I should have them checked. So weak for the money but I do really like the clubs.

Yep, they will do whatever you want for a fee. Customization even from the manufacturer or a manufacturer's tune shop (AMG, M Sport, etc.) has a cost which they pass on. I can't speak to Bentley or Rolls specifically, but I know that is true for Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes. And PXG is more comparable to the the last three than the first two. And I agree that we should always have the spec's checked on our clubs regardless of manufacturer. It's amazing what gets past most OEM's QC.    

On 4/14/2021 at 12:28 PM, StillCantPutt said:

You know, I’m all for this. Except there’s one minor problem. PXG does not offer a wide variety of shaft selection. They do not offer my shaft, project X LS so the fitter knew I would be pulling the shafts immediately to swap in my own shaft. He tried to take into account the shaft weight, length etc. when ordering the proper head weight but he miscalculated a little and they’re 2-3g light. For what they charge, they should do whatever the consumer asks. Period.

So because you did not want a fitter to do their job because you decided that your "favorite shaft" is better than anything they had to offer, even though there is absolutely no way for you to know that without a direct comparison, you are upset that they will not break their policy about the weights? The same exact policy that Titleist has with Scotty Cameron putters.........? You do realize that if you went through a proper fitting and let them fit you into the optimum shaft, that they could have made the adjustments to get the swing weight to your liking.

If someone basically requests a half-assed fitting, should they really be the one complaining that the club is not exactly how they wanted it after they modify it?

On 4/20/2021 at 3:04 PM, BirdieBob said:

What a beautiful course!

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

Hi folks, just wanted to pop in to say I had a PXG fitting yesterday (I was after a full bag, soup to nuts) and I got the Gen 4 XP range. They have a full bag promo at the moment ($4k for Gen 4 full bag, including bag, not including some upcharges for special shafts).

I went for the XP line, 0811X Gen 4 Driver, 3 & 5 woods (5 woods are back baby!), a 22 hybrid, a couple of sugar daddy wedges, and the bat attack putter. I went for the Adilla Green shafts for the driver and woods (what a delight that was) and the Nippon Modus S 105 for the iron shafts. As for bag, I went for the grey camo bag (I wanted black but it wasn't in stock).

I was initially leaning toward the P range, but the additional face and forgiveness of the XP's was super helpful given my somewhat wild and wooly swing. I also like that the offset of the XP range is amongst the lowest of any game improvement irons out there, and is only 0.5mm (0.02") more offset than the P range. By contrast the offset of the T range is a lot less than the P range (0.05-0.1"). Looking top down, the setup of the XP and P were virtually indistinguishable to me.

I was also super pleasantly surprised with the Gen 4 X driver. I got great distance consistently and the sound was way way nicer than I'm used to with the modern drivers - much more of a crunch than that metallic ping (that I don't like much). Similarly, their hybrid hit great - less offset than I'm used to with a hybrid which was exactly what I was after too. 

Hopefully the clubs should be with me in a couple of weeks!

Edited by mrpetrov
  • Like 1

I decided to give PXG a fair consideration by doing an outdoor fitting.  I recently purchased Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil 110S, and have been playing my best golf on approach shots.  So the timing was good to carry a solid swing into a fitting.  My focus was squarely on feel, performance and looks, in that order.  Fortunately they had all of the shafts that I've previously been fitted for, so I felt comfortable that I could make a fair comparison without introducing a shaft variable that wasn't a good fit.

I found performance to be on par with Callaway in the Gen3 T/P heads (Tour V 110 and Aerotech 115cw shafts).  Balls speeds faster and carry distances were longer with the Gen4 P (stronger lofts), still faster and longer with the Gen4 T as well, but less of a spread.  Biggest knock is the subjective category of feel.  I didn't find either Gen3 or Gen4 to be a standout on feel.  Recalling when I hit Gen1, and was blown away, these just didn't leave an impression.  And so, with some gains left on the table, I decided there wasn't enough in it to open the wallet.

Glad to have done the fitting and ruled this out instead of buying blind.  YMMV!

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"