Am I destined to always be a high handicapper?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are shooting 100's you have a lot of issues throughout your game. I have to say I am big fan of learning the game from the cup back. The game is so much easier with solid game inside 100. A goo

Interesting timing for this question, as I was just talking to our Director of Instruction yesterday on something you touched on.   "Most" of the people that sign up for lessons with him, co

I read somewhere that after three years, the average golfer can expect to stay right where they are. Maybe so with the full swing, but one thing that has helped me a great deal is putting a lot of wor

you had about a week since the lesson with your coach and just started practicing the new changes, undoing feelings and movements that have been engrained in you swing isn’t going to happen overnight and there maybe times of regression before profession. You are about 6 months and thousands of balls away from having small changes become the new swing on a consistent basis”

As GG says you need to turn off the brain on the course and it’s ok to revert back to your old swing on the course knowing that the work you are putting in off the course will be there.

• Like 1

Your swing doesn't look terrible, maybe strengthen your grip a little to help keep the club on the inside more. It should also help promote a more outward follow-through. 

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F(2*weak), 60.10S(4*weak)

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

8 minutes ago, hack2489 said:

What do you call a "high handicapper"?

What's your current handicap?

What course rating / tees do you play and what sort of scores do you shoot?

Where do you lose shots? Off tee? Duffed approach shots? Chipping, pitching, sand? Putting? 

My handicap is currently 22 and course rating is 71/132 or 71.9/135, depending if i play from the “member” tees or from the blue tees.

i tend to shoot high 90s, low 100s. 

i lose shots do to inconsistency and not being able to put all parts of my game together in a round. For example when one part of my game is working well, another part is terrible.

i would say my biggest issue is when my over the top swing comes out, i start hitting fat iron shots that go nowhere and also when i leave the face super open with irons so much so that even though my swing path is way left, the ball starts way right and goes more right.

other days i have bad days off the tee. And then other days my chipping and pitching is bad.

25 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

My handicap is currently 22 and course rating is 71/132 or 71.9/135, depending if i play from the “member” tees or from the blue tees.

i lose shots do to inconsistency and not being able to put all parts of my game together in a round. For example when one part of my game is working well, another part is terrible.

i would say my biggest issue is when my over the top swing comes out, i start hitting fat iron shots that go nowhere and also when i leave the face super open with irons so much so that even though my swing path is way left, the ball starts way right and goes more right.

other days i have bad days off the tee. And then other days my chipping and pitching is bad.

If you are shooting 100's you have a lot of issues throughout your game. I have to say I am big fan of learning the game from the cup back. The game is so much easier with solid game inside 100. A good swing comes easier when you have the short game fundamentals in check.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Cool. That's where I started. Albeit on slightly harder course. 

I'm currently shooting mid to high 80s. Shot a played to of 12.2 last comp round. Handicap currently 13.2.

So, here's my take on getting better, and yes, I too have (had) an OTT swing.

1. Make sure driver and irons are correctly fit for you. Flex, length, lie angle. Getting that fixed dropped me from high 90s / 100 to consistent mid 90s

2. Get a short game lesson. Chipping, pitching, sand. Saving shots here is key for everyone. That helps players like us keep the bogey / double bogey off the card. Do the Pelz assessment and track your progress; helps determine practice time focus / needs. Work on the low hanging fruit (ie worse parts first)

3. Get a putter fitting and lesson. Again, it's where we can invest time for easy reward. If you know you can drop putts from 4 feet most times, and you can chip, pitch or put sand shots to 4 feet, well, the score starts to look after itself. Again, do the Pelz assessment and track your progress; it will help focus practise time too.

4. Analyse your game to see where you're losing shots then after doing the above 3. Seriously look at where / why / what. And in doing so, look at your mental approach to the game, swing thoughts, planning shots, etc. Bob Rotella's "a golfers mind'" has really help me.

5. For full swing, I've found Mike Malaska stuff really good. It's stopped all my lower back pain and allowed me to play / swing with confidence (refer Rotella mind set stuff)

I'm no athlete. So, if I can do it, I recon anyone can. My goal, is single figures. Don't think I have the time to practice to get to scratch.

PS: I'm 49 and dropped from a 27 cap to my current 13.2 over the last 3 years. I've had full swing lessons, done the practice, but looking back, that above is where / how I'd do it if I started again.

• Like 1

Working back from the cup is probably good advice, but it's boring. And if it's boring you may lose motivation.

1. Try not to lose balls off the tee

2. Find a yardage you are confident with

3. Get to that number

4. Smash it

For me that number was 150. No idea why, probably just hit a few good ones and then had confidence from there. So I always tried to get to 150. Now I have a range, 100-150.

From there you'll make mostly bogeys, some pars, and some doubles. From there you'll be in low to mid 90's, and occasionally sniff the 80's. And be on your way to rounding out your game and going lower.

don't forget 18 bogeys is still 90 on most courses.

46 minutes ago, Phireside said:

Working back from the cup is probably good advice, but it's boring ...

Depends "how" you practice.

Yes, lots of chipping heaps of balls, or doing lots of drills. Boring.

But, if you get short game lesson and use a variety of practice drills, rotating them with other things during a practice session, boredom isn't a problem. Well, for me. YMMV.

Key for me is doing different drills, different aspects inter mixed in a practise session. I use short game and putting drills to break up my full swing practise.

Plus, I also walk a course late afternoon and play 9 holes, drop a few balls and do chipping or sand practice while waiting for other groups ahead. I'm usually walking on my own, so rather than get frustrated at their pace in front, I use the time to practice on course.

It's all how you look at it I find. 

One hole I might do a few sand shots. Next a few extra putts. Another might be a couple of extra approach shots. Then chipping etc. I might just do chipping but with a different club each hole. Breaks it up. Gives me different things to focus on for short bursts of time.

If I'm at the range, I might warm up with wedges. Do full swing drills, then have a break with some short wedges or chipping. Then I might play a round in my head, changing clubs, doing chips etc if I think I missed the green etc. 

I don't find that approach boring at all. I WOULD find hitting hundreds of balls for one drill boring, and as it's proven, it's also an inefficient way to practise.

Edited by hack2489
Typographic and Grammatical

Interesting timing for this question, as I was just talking to our Director of Instruction yesterday on something you touched on.

"Most" of the people that sign up for lessons with him, come with an expectation that they will magically get better after two or three lessons, and they will go from not breaking 100 to shooting in the 80s.  One of the more common things that happens is after one lesson a player will go out and do some things right and maybe shoot 93 or 94 as opposed to 103.  They think they have "got it" then the next round out is back to 104 and they wonder why the lesson didn't work.

One of the conversations he has in the very beginning is trying to get an passement, if they are in it for the long term and willing to do the work.  Or do they just want a couple quick adjustments that might make a small improvement, and not require hours of practice, but will yield very minimal and most likely not lasting results. 

The first method as mentioned above by someone may take months to ingrain the "new" swing.  It sounds like you are willing and have put in the work, just no that it takes time as well. 

• Like 2

:smilie_titty: TS1 9.0  Fubuki 45G Shaft
:smilie_ping: G410 5 & 7 FW Alta CB 65g
:smilie_ping: G410 4 hybrid Alta CB
:smilie_titty:T100S/T200 Jet Black Combo AMT Black R300 
Vokey SM 7 54/58

Vokey SM8 46*
TM Custom My Spider 35" 

ProV1X No. 12

13 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Short answer - "yes" you are always destined to be a high handicapper

The statistics say that barely any golfers gets to be low handicappers, so with nothing more than seeing you swing into a net I am going to bet the numbers.

As for the swing it looks usable.

For me, my goal is to be the best i can be. I never expect that i will be a low handicapper, my goal is more so to consistently break 90. 

On 12/1/2020 at 10:28 AM, dlow206 said:

For me, my goal is to be the best i can be. I never expect that i will be a low handicapper, my goal is more so to consistently break 90. 

Then 'yes' is likely the answer again. Your swing has not fatally flawed or anything that should hold you back. Breaking 90 most of the time is tough, but not that tough. 

My big advice is remember all shots count equally. 

The biggest difference in my game came when I stopped practicing my swing all the time and started practicing putting and chipping (like crazy and with consequences). In short I would start each practice session with 100 - 4 foot putts, if I made 90 I would practice something else, if I did not I would start again until I made 90/100 or ran out of time. I was deadly inside 4 feet and it really relaxed my game having so much confidence near the hole. Once putting was done I lag putted. I had to putt 20 inside 4 feet in a row before I could move on. Then chipped, bunker etc. If my short game was sharp enough to accomplish my goals I would work on full swing. The net effect was greens became HUGE. I felt I had a very good chance of getting down in 2 from anywhere around the green. 

Edited by 2bGood
On 12/1/2020 at 8:56 AM, Sean2 said:

I read somewhere that after three years, the average golfer can expect to stay right where they are. Maybe so with the full swing, but one thing that has helped me a great deal is putting a lot of work in my short game. You don't need to be young or athletic to develop one, and it can be a real stroke saver. 

This, develop a short game. It's boring, it's repetitive, but it's what shaves strokes off your game easily.

Learn to lag putt. Green reading will come with time/repetition; but not hitting the ball the right speed is what leads to 3 putts.

Chipping!!!! Imagine having a 4 footer instead of 10-12 every time your approach shot has already missed the green. You're going to start seeing one putts instead of two and three putts on your card. That means pars & bogeys instead of doubles and triples.

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM 9.0 - Tensei Orange 60 Stiff

Cobra F8 OL 3 Hybrid - Rogue 75 Stiff

Wilson/Staff V6 Forged 4-PW - TT S300 Stiff

MD5 Jaws - 50°

Cleveland RTX 588 - 54°/58°

Wilson/Staff 8802 Milled Face Putter

This video popped up in my YouTube feed and as I watched I recalled this thread.

For those who don't like to practice short game because it's boring, maybe try the concept covered in it?

Thought it might help you @dlow206 with a simple plan for practice and working on getting your scores lower.

Edited by hack2489
Typographic and Grammatical
On 12/2/2020 at 9:25 AM, BraxtonFullerton said:

This, develop a short game. It's boring, it's repetitive, but it's what shaves strokes off your game easily.

Learn to lag putt. Green reading will come with time/repetition; but not hitting the ball the right speed is what leads to 3 putts.

Chipping!!!! Imagine having a 4 footer instead of 10-12 every time your approach shot has already missed the green. You're going to start seeing one putts instead of two and three putts on your card. That means pars & bogeys instead of doubles and triples.

Only boring if you make it so. To my surprise the thing my kids liked to do most when I was teaching them golf was putt. We played for chocolate bars and I gave them 1 stroke per hole, loser pick the next location. We would putt of an hour easily as they loved the competition (and kicking my butt). 

Point is learn to love putting and learn to love practicing putting (and short game) as it is where you can make the biggest gains. It is a mind set thing.

Bob Rotella's story  about  Gary Player always comes to my mind. Basically Player is 'caught' talking one week about how he loves putting on fast greens more than anything and the next week he claims he loves putting on slow greens more than anything. He then gets called out and asked - "with is it you prefer fast or slow?" The answer was you just have to love whatever greens you’re playing on.

I will say this for short game in general love it don't fear it.

Edited by 2bGood

From top of backswing swing towards 2nd base/right field from home plate or if you just picked up grounder at 2nd base side arm throw to 1st for the out.   Right elbow tucked in to rib!

Strive for follow thru to be out towards 3rd base from home plate...  Extend!

Allow your lower body/legs to accommodate what mentioned above.  Rhythm!

• Confused 1