Tour Putter weight | Historical ave 340-350 ???

So am I odd that I put best with a 1967 Dale head Anser? The head is only 310 grams and it’s 32 inches long. I won’t even venture to guess the swing weight. All I know is that with a heavy putter my feel goes to crap and I have no distance control. I also have a 335 gram head 8802 style putter that is 33 inches that feels really good too. 

Edited by ALIF
Typo

$$$$

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here they are; Anser G2i, Redwood Anser, Anser Milled, and Zing 5KSs in becu and SS.  The latter are the heaviest.

I have to put my own personal preference on my 34" putter, in the 335-340 gram range.  Is that light?  By some standards, yes.  Threads like these are fun to read.  Most everyone understands that

I still like a light putter for all speed type greens. I know this isn't a poll, but I think they got everything perfect about 2 decades ago with the 320-330g releases. My 2 cents...

Posted Images

I don't think it's odd to prefer lighter putters.  I have a small collection of Pings (as well as the Jim Wells/tour issue ones pictured earlier on this thread, I have about 20 others) and have spells where I putt well with an old dalehead Karsten CO Anser or a becu Anser 4 - and other times when I do quite well with a 400g counterbalanced Ketsch.  Then there are the many other spells where my putting is atrocious with those, or anything else in between...  In general, light putters are good when I am playing a lot of decent golf (by my 9-handicap standards!) and feeling good about my stroke; heavy ones come in when confidence needs restored and I need help with a consistent stroke.

I think I am right in saying that the usual rule is "heavy putters for fast greens and lighter putters for slow greens"?  If so, I am completely the opposite. 

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60g S
  • PING Anser 17 & 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • PING iBlade 4-W Green Dot CFS 80-S +.75"
  • PING Anser Forged 50, 54, 60* Blue Dot DG Spinner +.5"
  • PING Anser Milled 1 WRX 35" PP60 // Jim Wells Anser 2 34" PP58 // Ketsch TR 400g CB

15 hours ago, golfluvzme said:

I have to put my own personal preference on my 34" putter, in the 335-340 gram range.  Is that light?  By some standards, yes. 

Threads like these are fun to read.  Most everyone understands that there is no hard/fast rule when it comes to weight, but we all have our preferences.  In my experiences, Scotty's that are built with one weight in the heel and one in the toe, weigh more in the range of 325 grams, when the weights are removed.  Seeing that comment at 250 grams, then 285 sort of took me by surprise.  It may have changed in the recent years, but it was never that light, when only dealing with two weights in the sole.

A friend of mine makes putters for a living and told me that he had only made two putters for tour players over the past 15 years that were over 350 grams.  One was for a Champions Tour player who wanted 435 grams at 35".....THAT had to be a sledgehammer, but the player felt it quieted his hands.  Who is out there to argue with a player who makes his living with his golf clubs? 

Its fun to read all of the thoughts, but I'll stick with a little lighter than normal flat stick and enjoy the feel of a well-struck putt..........on the rare occasion that I find the green grass.

Keep sharing your thoughts, it makes for good reading!

LaMont in AZ

Hi LaMont!  Hope you are well.
You are correct that the majority of Scotty's putters with weights came in at 320-330grams without weights in them.  He changed that this year when the new 2020 models came out and went to a much lighter empty head and he uses heavier weights to get to the 340-350-360g total headweight depending on length.
I'm right there with you buddy.  I'm 6' and 210 lbs but I use a 33.5" putter and like it to be around 340g.  I get much better feel and distance control with a lighter putter head, especially on faster greens.
I still have your very first MA/66 and love it. I keep thinking about sending it in for a topline but I may just order a new one and have you make it in 340g. 

I picked up a couple older Ping Ansers a few months ago (an Anser and Anser 4). I got them just to have and to mess around with around the house, but I noticed something weird: after putting around with the 300ish-gram Anser and then immediately grabbing my modern, 358-gram putter, my putting gets markedly better with the modern putter. By "better" I mean that my contact with the ball is nice and crisp.

I think what's happening is that the older, lighter putters require you to do a little more work with your hands and arms through contact with the ball. Because the putter is lighter, you have to actually put a HIT on the ball. You can't just let the weight of the clubhead do the work for you. When I switch from the lighter putter to the heavier, modern one, I'm retaining that feeling of using my hands and arms to hit through the ball instead of lazily swiping at it.

It's almost like the lighter putter is a training aid in that sense.

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 10.5 deg.

Callaway Mavrik 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Srixon H45 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 deg.

Callaway PM Grind 60 deg.

Bettinardi Studio Stock 17

The early Camerons (pro platinum and circas) were around 330 grams as that or a hair lighter was pretty standard when I started playing around 25 years ago. The "standard" has crept up for forgiveness but we have totally sacrificed feel. It shouldn't feel solid to hit one off the toe  and miss your aiming point by 6 inches, but that is the world we play in. In Cameron's first removeable weight putters, the heads were 320 grams minus any weights. This seemed to be about when the trend really began to take off as it was easy to manipulate head weight. I've always been a fan of lead tape and like putters like I like the ladies, the heavier the better!

1 minute ago, Golfcat said:

Guerin Rife knows a bit about putters...he says the tour preferred swing weight is D6.

Work backward from there...w 70g grip that is 335g for 35”, 355g for 34”, and 375g for 33”

FWIW

That's interesting because Evnroll's putters seem to be all overall quite a bit heavier than that. The ER2 is E1 for 33-34" and E4 at 35". It looks like their mallets are basically the same. The standard ER1.2 blade is D4 for 33-34" and D9 for 35". I'm guessing that's with their standard pistol grip.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing this is a reflection of the consumer market's demand for heavier headweights in the interest of "stability" and forgiveness. 

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 10.5 deg.

Callaway Mavrik 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Srixon H45 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 deg.

Callaway PM Grind 60 deg.

Bettinardi Studio Stock 17

10 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing this is a reflection of the consumer market's demand for heavier headweights in the interest of "stability" and forgiveness. 

I believe it is because (with a heavier head)  the impact sound/feel of a mishit putt is about the same as a solidly struck putt.

In contrast, mishit a putt with a 310 gram putter head and the mishit sound/feel is pronounced, obvious.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter