JPX 921 Tour vs MP 20 MMC

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

10 GIR doesn’t seem right as a bogey golfer unless you are the most abysmal putter and chipper of all time .... anyways I’d get fit. I’d highly recommend looking at either the hot metal pro or 921 for

MMCs and learn to hit them.

I too a fan of the MMC, both MP-18 and MP-20 variants, great feel, adequate distance, and spin IMO.  I've gotten 3 seasons out of my MP-18 MMC and will ride out the 2021 season with them too.  I easil

2 minutes ago, Georgie Z said:

Does anyone have any experience with the two irons? I saw a comparison thread between the JPX919T v MP 18 MMC but was wondering about the new irons. 

I'm a bogey golfer with my typical mishit being thin and near the toe. I hit about 10 GIR. I'd prefer the more forgiving iron between the two. Thanks

10 GIR doesn’t seem right as a bogey golfer unless you are the most abysmal putter and chipper of all time .... anyways I’d get fit. I’d highly recommend looking at either the hot metal pro or 921 forged for your level. Both will be significantly more forgiving and offer more distance while retaining spin and control. The tour is just a blade with some milling out the back. The long irons are very demanding. I shoot around par +/- 3 or 4 strokes and when I had the 921 tour I thought of grabbing a 4 and 5 forged to make the long end a bit more point and shoot. MMC are close to the same but might be a touch more forgiving. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim 9* Ventus Velo Blue 7x 

Taylormade Sim Max 3W Ventus Velo Blue 7x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Miura Tour Issue MC-501 (Low Offset) DG Pro X100

Taylormade MG2 51* SB Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Taylormade MG2 TW 56* + 60* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Titleist Pro -V1x  or Bridgestone Tour BXS

Ping Hoofer

I appreciate the response. I am a terrible putter but didn't realize 10 GIR was good for a bogey golfer. I used to play the MP59 and they were a little too demanding for me. It sounds like these will be the same.

Edit: I just realized 10 GIR is not accurate. It is probably closer to 8.

Edited by Georgie Z

I too a fan of the MMC, both MP-18 and MP-20 variants, great feel, adequate distance, and spin IMO.  I've gotten 3 seasons out of my MP-18 MMC and will ride out the 2021 season with them too.  I easily liked my MMC over my previous JPX-900F.  I'd have to demo the Hot Metal Pro to see if my launch and spin were both high enough to consider them in the bag.  Though for a change of scenery, whenever they launch a "JPX-923" series, I'll probably buy into the next Hot Metal Pro and see if I can make a "players distance iron" work for me. 

• Like 1

WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS

Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65

Titleist TS2 16.5 with Accra Tour Z x275

Titleist TS2 19* hybrid with Evenflow White 90

Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H

Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw

Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw

Cleveland RTX 54* & 58* Mid with Steelfiber i110cw

Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

I’m a 6 handicap and both of those irons are way too much for me.  People will disagree but I don’t think those irons are appropriate for anyone who is not low single digit, if scoring well is the goal.  If you just enjoy them more than by all means play what is most fun for you but if scoring is the goal I would look at the forged or HMB’s.  Both of those offer plenty of playability imho.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Georgie Z said:

I appreciate the response. I am a terrible putter but didn't realize 10 GIR was good for a bogey golfer. I used to play the MP59 and they were a little too demanding for me. It sounds like these will be the same.

Here are the MPF (forgiveness rating) stats for the MP59 --> https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPF_MIZUNO.pdf

You will notice the CG is actually quite low and the MOI is reasonable. They are probably as or more forgiving than the 921 Tour and the MMC. If you found those challenging I would definitely look at the hot metal series. I'm a plus handicap and the long end of the Tours are challenging. I hit 12-13 GIR and average scoring over this season was 74.

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9* Ventus Velo Blue 7x 

Taylormade Sim Max 3W Ventus Velo Blue 7x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Miura Tour Issue MC-501 (Low Offset) DG Pro X100

Taylormade MG2 51* SB Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Taylormade MG2 TW 56* + 60* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Titleist Pro -V1x  or Bridgestone Tour BXS

Ping Hoofer

921 Forged, HM Pro or MP20 HMB is where I would start my search.  

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° and 23° hybrids MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang 

Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

I had the 919 Tours and play the MP-20 MMC, as well as the 5 iron in the HMB.  All great irons and I couldn't distinguish a lot of difference in forgiveness between all three.  Maybe marginally better in the HMB.  My miss is slightly low or toe side, and I felt these irons cater for that miss.  I like the look and feel of the chrome MMCs strangely, although the 919 Tour is a beautiful iron.  PX LZ in the 919 and Modus 120 in the MMC.  I think I prefer the Modus.  Definitely straighter shaft / head combo for me.  Can't go wrong with either.  Mizuno make wonderful irons.  I would be happy to consistently hit 10 greens per round.  For reference, 4 index, and 7 iron SS of around 89 mph.

G400
917 F2
i25 5w
4-P MMC MP 20
SM7 52F 56F 60D
Rossie

I play at a 2 handicap and I’ve had no issue hitting the 919 tours nor the Mp20’s.  I went with the 919 tours due to getting more consistent yardages in slight misses.  The tours don’t feel as soft or pure on middle strikes but they seemed more forgiving to me and every bit at workable. 

Edited by Phabs

Taylormade M3 9*  Fuji Velocore 6x 

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

I was torn between these 2 models as well. Been an mp player, off and on, since I started playing.  So, generally I lean towards the classic look of the mp line.  However, I really like the look of the 919 and 921 tour models.  MP feels more soft on center strikes and the 921 feels a little more dense.  I chose the 921 mainly because of the ever so slightly thinner top line and the satin pearl look.

• Like 1

Cobra  Speedzone 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1" 

or

Cobra  Speedzone Big Tour  Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 70--testing...

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway  18 X Forged UT 4i  Accra iCWT 105

Irons  Figuring it out...

Vokey Raw SM8 50F, 54S, 58S  Nippon Modus 125 wedge

Mizuno M Craft Type 1 Satin  Stability Tour Shaft, Golf Pride Pro Only Green*

Bridgestone Tour B XS

I can back the mmc 20 as i have a set... i can score anywhere from an 80 in a round to a 95 on a really disasterous  day where nothing is going well. The mmc 20 are very very much forgiving for their size. Ive hit a few wayy toe shots that have reached the green and left me amazed. Ive hit a chunky 7 iron off the tee to a flag that was 157 and  had a normal mid flight and ended up 5 feet away which really amazed me more then the toe strike. Absolutely amazing set of irons from 4 down to pw. Best ive owned. I havent had one round where i though they were hindering me in any way and i actually believe they made me better. I ve had a drive go under a trees that was blocking me out from the green which was 190yds. 5 iron aimed right of the trees and closed the face a good bit.. i hit a low hooker... landed 20 yards short of green and rolled on to 9 feet but there were players on the green i was shocked and imberrised. When i rolled up i said sorry guys ive never hit a 5 iron that far before and i had to hook it under trees didnt think i would reach... they said its ok amazing shot and dont worry it only rolled up here... nice guys actually lol.

Edited by iNeedMoreGolf

I would expect a lot of the MMC fans purchased before the 921 Tour was released.

Has anyone here actually hit the 921 Tour and MP20 MMC side by side in a fitting and went with the MMC?

Edited by bombs

Ping G410+ 9*

Taylormade M3 17*

Callaway Epic Hybrid 20*

Srixon ZX7 4-AW

Clevelant RTX4 54* 60*

Taylormade Spider X

I had a set of the 919 t's and have a 4 iron mp18 mmc.  The 919t's are good clubs but the offset in the short irons was a deal breaker for me.  I tried to get used to them but it was just too substantial.  I hit a demo of the mp 20 mmc and they feel slightly better than the mp 18 mmc maybe but seem similar enough to me.  if I had to buy a set right now it would be the mp20 mmc 4-6 and the mp 20 the rest of the way.  I wouldn't be opposed to playing the mmc through the bag though, they are as good as it gets for that type of club imo.  i think the mmc edges out the 919s in forgiveness, feel, and looks for me.  if you miss on the toe then perhaps the 921 t's will be fine (blade seems longer and more weight out on the toe) but my miss is slightly off the heel and a little high in the face.  

anyone imo can play either iron assuming you have decent athleticism and speed. they are very forgiving in my mind but then again I can't hit GI irons to save my life. (soles too wide, too much offset etc..) So I really wouldn't know what its like to play them.  

TS3 9.5 Hzrdus smoke black 60g 6.5
TS3 18 degree @ 17.25 hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5
P790 UDI 18* (KBS tour 130x)

818h2 19* (Steelfiber i110x or ck blue 80x at 39.5)
Mizuno MP18 (7-Pw), SC (5-6), MMC (4) (KBS tour 130x)

Vokey sm7 50*, sm6 55*, TVD-M 60* (TI s400 tipped 1/4")
1995 Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport 35"

Bombs, I tested the 921 Tours and the MP 20 MMC the day my pro was able to get the 921 heads in for testing. I came from P790 and am a 4 handicap. For reference, I carry the P790 7 iron about 195. I was looking for more players style irons and these two were top of my list. When I hit the heads, the numbers were basically identical. Both 921 and MMC carried roughly 185 with same launch and spin. Really impressive sets of clubs if you ask me. But in the end I went with the MMC because I personally think they feel better than then Tours. Just my opinion. 

Driver: TaylorMade M6 HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
3 Wood: TaylorMade M6 HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2 Iron: TaylorMade P790 UDI HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0

4-P: Mizuno MP20 MMC C Taper 130X
Gap: Vokey SM8 50.8F C Taper 120S

Sand: Vokey SM8 54.10S C Taper 120S
Lob: Vokey SM8 58.10S C Taper 120S

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 

Ball: Titleist ProV1

On 12/6/2020 at 4:56 AM, bombs said:

I would expect a lot of the MMC fans purchased before the 921 Tour was released.

Has anyone here actually hit the 921 Tour and MP20 MMC side by side in a fitting and went with the MMC?

I actually just purchased a set of MMC with the pro modus 120s shaft this weekend.  I had hit just about every iron that wasn't a super game improvement iron over the last month and spent about 2 hours trying to decide between the 921 tour, 921 hot metal pro, and mp20 mmc.  Finally chose the MMC as it just felt better on contact and was more consistent (at least on the trackman)  Now for a month long wait for them to come in.  

I haven't hit the tour but currently have both a set of 921 forged (6.0 LZ) and MMC20 (DG120 100X), both purchased here.  

Off of a toe strike, the 921F goes a bit further than the MMC, but the MMC is just such a consistent club and easy to swing.  Lots of spin, plenty of distance, consistent.  I just have a lot of confidence that it will result in a pretty solid strike.  

I might like the 921F better if I had a different shaft.  It is tough to say. The 6.0 LZ just isn't cutting it (my driver shaft is a CK Pro Orange 70TX).