Choosing golf partners

Can people comment on what it means to "maintain pace of play."

As a new golfer it takes me a LOT of hacks to finish 9 holes. Can I still maintain an appropriate pace by dropping a new ball when one goes in the woods, being ready to swing with the right club when it's my turn, parking the cart in an appropriate spot etc? 

2 hours ago, Newbie15 said:

As a new golfer it takes me a LOT of hacks to finish 9 holes. Can I still maintain an appropriate pace by dropping a new ball when one goes in the woods, being ready to swing with the right club when it's my turn, parking the cart in an appropriate spot etc? 

Just means basically keeping up with the other 3 guys. Some of the slowest players i've played with are very good players BTW, so you don't have to associate skill level with it. I play in 3 hours typically with guys who are 11-15 indexes.

Most courses recommend a playing time of 4 hours to 4:30 at most. If your group is playing in that, generally you are doing OK

If you feel like the group is constantly waiting on you, than maybe that could become an issue. But don't stress about how many shots you are hitting. As you say, just be ready to go when it's your turn.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I have no issue with bad golfers, as long as they play ready golf and keep pace.

Played with a two-some last weekend who were pretty bad, and had no concept of ready golf. So me and my partner played a bit quicker than normal and we finished in just over 4 hours. I have no idea how we kept pace with the group in front of us, but we did and finished in a decent time. There were a bunch of members behind us bitchin that we were playing slow. Told the ranger multiple times we were keeping pace with the group in front of us. The course was solid so there was nowhere for the threesome behind us to go. Said a few choice words to them in the parking lot. Rant over.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

7 hours ago, Newbie15 said:

In simple terms, it just means "play ready golf". And in my opinion it's more than just hitting the ball when it's your turn. In some situations you can be doing things while the other players in the group are hitting in order to get yourself ready when it is your turn to hit. Efficiency. 

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

18 hours ago, Roody said:

In simple terms, it just means "play ready golf". And in my opinion it's more than just hitting the ball when it's your turn. In some situations you can be doing things while the other players in the group are hitting in order to get yourself ready when it is your turn to hit. Efficiency. 

This is where cart riding can really hamper things, IMHO.  While you are walking you can absorb a lot of information to have a decent idea of what you need to do.  If you're not sharp, riding in the cart, especially if you go to the other guy's ball first, can make you lose yourself in lala land when it comes to that stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluefan75 said:

This is where cart riding can really hamper things, IMHO.  While you are walking you can absorb a lot of information to have a decent idea of what you need to do.  If you're not sharp, riding in the cart, especially if you go to the other guy's ball first, can make you lose yourself in lala land when it comes to that stuff.

Agreed! I walked 90% of my rounds the past two seasons, and I have found so many good ways to be efficient. So much so that one of the guys I've played with said "man, it is hard to keep up with you at times". I've actually had to think about ways to slow myself down. But you're right, walking gives you the time to prep yourself mentally, and allows you the freedom to move that a riding cart sometimes does not. 

I don't run to my ball, but I have been told I walk fast. Another thing I do is if my tee shot is ahead of yours, and I'm not directly in front of you, I'll walk up and to the side to either get right to my ball, or at least get closer to it. So after you hit I am usually ready to hit my own shot. Another is once I've teed off, the clubhead cover is back on the driver and back in the bag, and I'm ready to start walking once the last guy tees. On greens I am usually figuring out the line of my putt, and lining up my ball while you're putting (assuming I can do it without getting in your way). 

The other thing I'll mention to @Newbie15 who asked, another thing to do is pay attention especially when it comes to knowing when it's your turn. I know it seems like a stupid simple thing, but trust me I've seen it be a problem with lesser experienced golfers. We have a young kid that joins us on our yearly golf trip. He's not a good golfer, but he's a nice guy and he joins in on the trip each year mostly to hang out with the group. But he drove several of us nuts when we'd be on a green, and he is plainly the farthest away, and it's his turn to putt. And he's standing there looking up in the sky, day dreaming. That tests the patience a little. 

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

3 minutes ago, Roody said:

Agreed! I walked 90% of my rounds the past two seasons, and I have found so many good ways to be efficient. So much so that one of the guys I've played with said "man, it is hard to keep up with you at times". I've actually had to think about ways to slow myself down. But you're right, walking gives you the time to prep yourself mentally, and allows you the freedom to move that a riding cart sometimes does not. 

I don't run to my ball, but I have been told I walk fast. Another thing I do is if my tee shot is ahead of yours, and I'm not directly in front of you, I'll walk up and to the side to either get right to my ball, or at least get closer to it. So after you hit I am usually ready to hit my own shot. Another is once I've teed off, the clubhead cover is back on the driver and back in the bag, and I'm ready to start walking once the last guy tees. On greens I am usually figuring out the line of my putt, and lining up my ball while you're putting (assuming I can do it without getting in your way). 

The other thing I'll mention to @Newbie15 who asked, another thing to do is pay attention especially when it comes to knowing when it's your turn. I know it seems like a stupid simple thing, but trust me I've seen it be a problem with lesser experienced golfers. We have a young kid that joins us on our yearly golf trip. He's not a good golfer, but he's a nice guy and he joins in on the trip each year mostly to hang out with the group. But he drove several of us nuts when we'd be on a green, and he is plainly the farthest away, and it's his turn to putt. And he's standing there looking up in the sky, day dreaming. That tests the patience a little. 

That middle part is where I end up feeling a bit like an anchor.  In the regular group I play in I am the longest hitter, and a number of times a round I can't go to my ball until every one has hit.  There are times I feel a bit like I'm slowing things down because I haven't been able to get a yardage or anything.  I've also been told though I worry too much about holding up the group behind, so....

8 hours ago, Bluefan75 said:

In the regular group I play in I am the longest hitter, and a number of times a round I can't go to my ball until every one has hit.  There are times I feel a bit like I'm slowing things down because I haven't been able to get a yardage or anything.  

In his early days on Tour long hitting Jack Nicklaus waited until short hitters had played before walking to his drive. But after being criticized for slow play he went ahead to his ball (even though others behind him had not yet hit their shots).

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

On 12/1/2020 at 1:02 PM, Bluefan75 said:

• We were all that guy at one time.

Not really. I spent my first two years in golf at driving ranges and par 3 courses. 

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

i'm a high cap that does my best to keep pace of play, etiquette and just stick to general non-dickheadedness when i play with better players...they don't seem to mind and i've been invited back to play every time (i haven't taken any up, tho...even when #'s are exchanged)

While I do play better playing with better players, I generally have more fun playing with friends. When I play with friends who are better or close to my handicap all the better. 

The only time I am frustrated on the course is playing with bonafide jerks, or beginners who don't know when to pick up and call it for that hole. 

Once this guy I was randomly paired with got in a fight with a group of 4 women in front of us after he hit into them. We told him not to hit, but of course he didn't think he could hit it that far. Now I can't pretend I have never accidentally done the same thing, but his response was to escalate and start yelling/screaming at them. I am fairly patient, but I would never play with that guy again. 

• 1 year later...