Seeking iron recommendation

Hi there!

First time posting and seeking the advice of the forum members.

I have had the same set of irons for many years. Ping G2's. Great club but I am ready to move to something better and newer.

I really want to experience the joy of striking a forged iron but, at the same time I don't want to give up all of the forgiveness I get from my Pings.

I have my eye on two sets currently. Hogan PTX Pros and Wilson V6 forged. Thoughts? Am I overlooking something?

Anxious to hear your thoughts.

Thank you!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forged irons are EXTREMELY overrated.  Who cares that the iron feels great the three times a round you hit it flush.  (this is not a knock on you, Tiger and Jack have both said they hit three maybe fo

2 hours ago, Briantime said:

Hi there!

I have had the same set of irons for many years. Ping G2's. Great club but I am ready to move to something better and newer.

I really want to experience the joy of striking a forged iron but, at the same time I don't want to give up all of the forgiveness I get from my Pings.

I have my eye on two sets currently. Hogan PTX Pros and Wilson V6 forged. Thoughts? Am I overlooking something?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum, mate.

The Hogans are gorgeous. I'd love to own a set myself. 

If ur funding is not capped, go for a set of Miura cavity back. I'm playing the CB 1008 and love every bit of it. Forged, with plenty of forgiveness. 

Good luck on ur search.

Cheers

so many options.... each brand seems to have a forged players cavity back.

mizuno has jpx forged and MP20 mmc

titleist has t100, t100s, t200, cb

callaway has apex pro

taylormade, cobra, ping, etc etc etc...  

way too many options to continue listing.  

Edited by bogeypro

Titleist TSi3 driver Tour AD XC

Titleist TS2 3 wood HZRDUS Smoke black

Titleist TS2 5 wood HZRDUS smoke black

Titleist T-100s 4-gap

Vokey sm8 54/12d and 60/12d 

Scotty Cameron special select 1.5

8 hours ago, Briantime said:

Hi there!

Thank you!

Forged irons are EXTREMELY overrated.  Who cares that the iron feels great the three times a round you hit it flush.  (this is not a knock on you, Tiger and Jack have both said they hit three maybe four perfect shots a round).  What you should worry about is the irons that give you the most consistent distances.  Carry and roll out both.

Irons are all about consistency.  This is where the pros dog amateurs time and time again.  This is where the great players separate themselves from the other pros.  Think Tiger was great because he just bombed it past everyone else?  Nope his irons were almost always flag high.  ie, not great shots still ended up flag high and normally on the green or with an easy chip.

Find irons, you like to look at.  Do not worry if they are blades, forged, Game Improvement, Players, or Super Game improvement.  None of that matters for your score.  What matters is hitting your irons a consistent distance (carry and roll) and then dispersion blended in with that.  So finding the irons that best hide your flaws and accentuate your pros.  Scoring better and having less stressful rounds trumps great feel of an iron between 1 and 3 times a round every time, and twice on the weekends.   The reason you blend in dispersion is hitting it dead straight every time, but with a 20 yard distance difference is worse than hitting it within 5 or so yards distance wise but missing a bit left or right.  Most well designed courses give you a bail out long or short, but almost never both.  So knowing your flight distance pretty well along with your roll out will help you choose the correct club to not miss short or long.

• Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G410 LST on HZRDOUS Yellow
  • 4 Wood - Titleist TS2 turned down 1 on UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Callaway Epic Flash turned down 1 on UST Mamiya Black   
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Irons = Ping G410 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Ping i210 5 - PW on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50 and 56 CBX2 and RTX4 @ 62 on UST Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

No iron forged from a single billet of carbon steel will ever match the forgiveness of a cast GI or SGI club.  You can only pound it into so many shapes without putting extra multi materials to make it marginally more forgiving.  A good compromise is a forged player's CB like the Hogan PTX Pros and Wilson V6 forged you mentioned.  Good choices but you'll never get the forgiveness of your G2s.  

If you want to get the feel of a pure strike from a forged club shot after shot you've got to work on your swing.  You can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs.

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Hello all!

Thank you for the responses to my post. I apologize if I did not give enough information. In my desire to be brief I sometimes go too far 🙂

My game: I am not a hardcore golfer, but enjoy playing and lately find myself more and more into it. I normally shoot in the high 80's on 18. Iron play is actually the strongest part of my game. A few years back I even won a Breitling for closest to the pin on a 165 year par 3 at my company's golf outing :-). 165 is a 6 iron for me. My short game and putting is poor.

The Ping G2's I play now are really the only good clubs I have ever owned. I bought them new at a Ping fitting event to replace the Spaulding Executives that were my first set of clubs.

I'm not looking to replicate the forgiveness of the Pings. I really don't need as much forgiveness as they can provide but I am concerned about going too far and into a set of clubs that are beyond my game and taking the fun out of it. I thought the Hogans and Wilsons I mentioned in my post looked to be a good compromise between forgiveness and that wonderful feel you always hear about that I want to enjoy as well. When I was a younger man, I remember being floored over how sexy the Hogan (Apex I think) irons looked in the store and that memory alone drew me back to the brand as well as the positive comments I read here and saw on Youtube reviews. The Wilson V6's also seemed to draw similar accolades and I heard and saw many comments on how forgiving they were.

Appreciate your input!

Brian

12 minutes ago, Briantime said:

Hello all!

Thank you for the responses to my post. I apologize if I did not give enough information. In my desire to be brief I sometimes go too far 🙂

My game: I am not a hardcore golfer, but enjoy playing and lately find myself more and more into it. I normally shoot in the high 80's on 18. Iron play is actually the strongest part of my game. A few years back I even won a Breitling for closest to the pin on a 165 year par 3 at my company's golf outing :-). 165 is a 6 iron for me. My short game and putting is poor.

The Ping G2's I play now are really the only good clubs I have ever owned. I bought them new at a Ping fitting event to replace the Spaulding Executives that were my first set of clubs.

I'm not looking to replicate the forgiveness of the Pings. I really don't need as much forgiveness as they can provide but I am concerned about going too far and into a set of clubs that are beyond my game and taking the fun out of it. I thought the Hogans and Wilsons I mentioned in my post looked to be a good compromise between forgiveness and that wonderful feel you always hear about that I want to enjoy as well. When I was a younger man, I remember being floored over how sexy the Hogan (Apex I think) irons looked in the store and that memory alone drew me back to the brand as well as the positive comments I read here and saw on Youtube reviews. The Wilson V6's also seemed to draw similar accolades and I heard and saw many comments on how forgiving they were.

Appreciate your input!

Brian

For some odd reason my original post in this topic is waiting on moderator approval.

Long story of that post short.....ish

Play whatever irons give you the best distance control.  Whether they are blades, players, GI, or SGI it does not matter. Tiger woods once said he hits 3 maybe 4 perfect shots a round.  Desiring "forged feel" which is a false narrative, is not something to chase for something you may achieve a few times a round.  Iron design and type of metal used has more to do with feel than forging or casting does, and this has been proven with PGA tour players.

Instead focus on, consistent carry distance, and consistent roll out distance with your irons.  Then blend in dispersion.  Most bad hazards are short or long of a green, and almost never both.  Knowing you will hit a 8 iron 150 yards (+/- a couple) can help your scores more than anything.  Tiger was the best player in the world because his distance control was so good, this is where the pros destroy amateurs scoring wise. You will have better scoring and less stressful rounds, which in turn will make you happier.

• Driver - Ping G410 LST on HZRDOUS Yellow
  • 4 Wood - Titleist TS2 turned down 1 on UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Callaway Epic Flash turned down 1 on UST Mamiya Black   
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Irons = Ping G410 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Ping i210 5 - PW on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50 and 56 CBX2 and RTX4 @ 62 on UST Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

I have the PTx Pros and I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.  I won them here on golfwrx as  a tester, and they've been in the bag since I got them.  They are a very forgiving club, and are a good compromise of feel and forgiveness.  The set is a tough one to beat for the price.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM set 1 click lower- shaft Diamana D+ 70s

Fairway:  Cobra F9 5w turned down to 17* Diamana White 80s

Hybrids: 19* Srixon H65 Proforce V2 85f4
Irons: 24* X Forged Utility w/ Modus 120s, 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro Modus 125s
Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Vokey SM6 F Grind, Zipcore 52* Mid bent to 53*, Zipcore 56* Mid Raw bent to 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
Putter: Toulon Las Vegas or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

36 minutes ago, jah7838 said:

I have the PTx Pros and I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.  I won them here on golfwrx as  a tester, and they've been in the bag since I got them.  They are a very forgiving club, and are a good compromise of feel and forgiveness.  The set is a tough one to beat for the price.  

Thanks. I did read your review info on the thread on those clubs. Appreciate your taking the time to write it.

If you were to buy another set, would you go for the mixed set or the full PTx Pro set like you have? I have had both in my cart on the Hogan website several times now 🙂

57 minutes ago, Briantime said:

Thanks. I did read your review info on the thread on those clubs. Appreciate your taking the time to write it.

If you were to buy another set, would you go for the mixed set or the full PTx Pro set like you have? I have had both in my cart on the Hogan website several times now 🙂

If I were playing and practicing everyday, I would go with the blended set.  I know I can hit a blade from the 8 iron down consistently, but since I don't get to play or practice everyday, I'm perfectly happy with the full set of PTx Pros. 

I don't know what I could gain from going to a blade from the 8 iron down to the Pitching Wedge over what's in the set make up I currently have.  I can hit shots lower and control spin into the wind and downwind fine with the PTx Pros.  The little bit of extra forgiveness on those clubs is a plus for bad days as well.  

I've shot some of the best rounds of my life with them, so I don't know how much better a blended set would make those scores.  At this point, my bad rounds are because of terrible tee shots, and a not good short game when I'm not practicing.  

At some point, I'm probably going to buy another set to have in the closet for when these need to be replaced, but I'm a ways away from needing to do that.  I might go black for the 2nd set.  Those look really good.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM set 1 click lower- shaft Diamana D+ 70s

Fairway:  Cobra F9 5w turned down to 17* Diamana White 80s

Hybrids: 19* Srixon H65 Proforce V2 85f4
Irons: 24* X Forged Utility w/ Modus 120s, 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro Modus 125s
Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Vokey SM6 F Grind, Zipcore 52* Mid bent to 53*, Zipcore 56* Mid Raw bent to 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
Putter: Toulon Las Vegas or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

3 hours ago, Briantime said:

Hello all!

Appreciate your input!

Brian

Plenty of good options out there... The Hogans aren't a bad choice, but if you are looking at DTC, check out the Sub70 639s... I have the 5 iron and the feel is great and the build quality was excellent.

I've heard some amazing things about the Cobra King Tour Irons. They are NOT forged, but everyone who has hit them talks about how soft they feel... it's a different process than casting or forging, so might be worth a look. 

Honestly, I'd recommend going and hitting various irons at a fitting center... anywhere you can get your hands on multiple options. Forged is great and all, but not the end all be all for a club. The best way to find the best feeling club is to hit a bunch of them and see what you like and then get it dialed in.

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

I think you need to ask yourself what you hope to get out of the irons.  If you are looking to score as well as you can I would want a good deal of forgiveness if you are scoring in the upper 80’s.  If you just want the sexiness of a smaller forged club and that is worth a few strokes then absolutely play what will be most fun for you.  Personally I’d look at something like the pxg 0211.  It’s cast but the pricing is tough to beat.  I’d personally hit some forged clubs to make sure it’s really a big deal.  I’d probably look at something like the mizuno 919 forged over the clubs you mentioned or apex 19’s as well but that mostly personal preference I suppose. 

I currently play the Wilson V6's. I came from the 2017 p770s.

What I will say about the v6's is that they do feel fantastic, much better than my old p770s. When I first hit them I was sold on them, you will enjoy this. 

I also found them decently forgiving as well. I play to a 3 handicap though and my head still wonders if I should consider a bit more forgiveness in the longer irons. Mine came with the stock(I believe) dgs300 AMT shafts. Weight gets lighter in the longer irons to help launch. Something to consider. They are also traditional lofted irons so you should not expect extra distance out of them. However, I did not really lose much distance at all from my p770s which have 1-2 degrees stronger lofts.

The biggest jump to these irons I think may cause you issues though is the Size of the head. To me, the v6 are substantially more compact than most irons I tested, i noticed a big difference from my p770s. Next to your pings, they will be much smaller I would assume. 

My v6s will be tested this winter to see if I want to switch out for a combo set of something like the srixon 585-785-z forged. or even just ping i210s. Great deals to be had on all three of these irons. 

I do like carrying the wilsons as many comment on them and they are somewhat "under the radar". I have been happy with them and probably have no reason to switch unless I know I have less time to practice coming up(which I do, due to baby number 1 on the way).

If you have any questions about the v6's let me know. 

Besides PTX Pro, Hogan offers the game-improvement Edge irons.

All current Hogan irons have consistent 4-degree gaps in loft.:

4i = 22* | 5i = 26* | up through PW = 46* 

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).