Is it safe to de-loft my blades 4*?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your local club guy can't tell after putting his bending bar on it in the first couple of seconds you should find a new club guy.  If you are doing it and can't tell in the first few seconds you sh

4* stronger loft change ?  That's essentially the next iron head up. Like Gohigh said above, you could rebuild your set, butt trim 1/2", and SW accordingly Your club labelled 8i on the botto

I would try 1 club first, i had a 50* Sm7 bent to 48* and it just looked weird at address, it added more offset obviously, but just didn't look right, i dread to think what an MB bent 4* strong would

19 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

If your local club guy can't tell after putting his bending bar on it in the first couple of seconds you should find a new club guy.  If you are doing it and can't tell in the first few seconds you should find a club guy who can. 

I have never bent those specific clubs, but I have bent countless irons with all different kinds of metals.  I can tell within the first few seconds how much safe bend I can get out of them.

Now de-lofting your irons by 4 degrees will have a couple of other consequences(whether or not it is safe is another matter that maybe someone on here has bent those).  You will lose a decent amount of bounce on the clubs, and bending four degrees it should be noticeable.  You could cause a problem there with turf interaction, or depending upon your swing you could make your turf interaction better, hard to tell without seeing your swing.  You will also be reducing the offset in the irons as well.

Each of these things may be a big deal or they may not.  I have seen guys completely lose their ability to strike a club after moving it four degrees, and I have seen guys hit it better.   The question I would have is why?  In many sets these days your iron loft spreads are 5 degrees in some lower irons, 4 degrees through the mid, and 3 in the longer irons.  You are essentially strengthening the club by one whole club. Just take more club and add a club where needed.  The 1/2 inch in length won't make a huge difference.  You are basically making a 7 iron into a 6 iron with 4* less bounce, 1/2 shorter shaft length, and less offset.

You will be increasing offset when you strengthen the lofts of clubs. Guessing you meant that.

Just now, Adam C said:

You will be increasing offset when you strengthen the lofts of clubs. Guessing you meant that.

Yep.  I haven't had my coffee this morning.  Updating post now.

• Driver - Ping G410 LST on HZRDOUS Yellow
  • 4 Wood - Titleist TS2 turned down 1 on UST Mamaiya Black

• 7 Wood - Callaway Epic Flash turned down 1 on UST Mamiya Black   
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*

• Irons = Ping G410 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Ping i210 5 - PW on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50 and 56 CBX2 and RTX4 @ 62 on UST Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Thank you all, I'm a sweeper of the ball so less bounce may actually allow me to take a divot for once.

My goal is to  set my new irons to the same setting as my previous set. they where CB irons.  these MB was flighting higher than I wanted and being in KS I wanted a lower trajectory.

The other positive I'm taking away with is  you mentioned I would be roughly playing "1/2 shorter shaft length, and more offset" which I think I'll like better.

But thank you all again for your help. 

I would try 1 club first, i had a 50* Sm7 bent to 48* and it just looked weird at address, it added more offset obviously, but just didn't look right, i dread to think what an MB bent 4* strong would look like at address

• Like 2

DRIVER: Taylormade Sim Max 9*

3 WOOD: Adams Tight Lies TI 15*

5 WOOD: Taylormade SLDR 19*

HYBRID: Adams Pro DHY 21 & 24*

IRONS: Ping I500 6-PW

WEDGES:Ping Glide 3.0 50/54*

LOB WEDGE: Titleist SM7 Raw 58*

PUTTER: Taylormade Patina Ardmore 3

BALL: Taylormade TP5x

1 hour ago, Kscarguy said:

Thank you all, I'm a sweeper of the ball so less bounce may actually allow me to take a divot for once.

My goal is to  set my new irons to the same setting as my previous set. they where CB irons.  these MB was flighting higher than I wanted and being in KS I wanted a lower trajectory.

The other positive I'm taking away with is  you mentioned I would be roughly playing "1/2 shorter shaft length, and more offset" which I think I'll like better.

But thank you all again for your help. 

I would definitely start with this.  That way you won’t have to bend them back or try to sell them in weird specs if it doesn’t work out...

Besides the turf interaction issues, which I cant even imagine how my elbows and shoulders will feel like after a range session and a round later (blades with 3-4mm of offset and negative bounce angle?), have you considered how it will affect your gapping on mid irons? I think short irons wont be as big of an issue, there is still enough loft there, but moving to 7 iron and above, you might have some issues with carry numbers. You might have better results just keeping it way it is, and shortening your irons by 1/2". I think it will affect your swing weight by 3-4 points, but you can easily add about 2-4 grams with lead tape to balance it again.

• Like 1

Generally the manufacturers don’t recommend strengthening by more than 2*. ,,, try that first .. with one club

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Diamana Blue B 80s G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix HQ3x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

4* stronger loft change ?  That's essentially the next iron head up.

Like Gohigh said above, you could rebuild your set, butt trim 1/2", and SW accordingly

Your club labelled 8i on the bottom is now your real 9i.

"Gump, you're a god-damned genius !" 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0AUm-vXdkw&feature=youtu.be&t=7

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 3

WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS

Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65

Titleist TS2 16.5 with Accra Tour Z x275

Titleist TS2 19* hybrid with Evenflow White 90

Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H

Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw

Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw

Cleveland RTX 54* & 58* Mid with Steelfiber i110cw

Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

1 hour ago, Gohigh said:

Besides the turf interaction issues, which I cant even imagine how my elbows and shoulders will feel like after a range session and a round later (blades with 3-4mm of offset and negative bounce angle?), have you considered how it will affect your gapping on mid irons? I think short irons wont be as big of an issue, there is still enough loft there, but moving to 7 iron and above, you might have some issues with carry numbers. You might have better results just keeping it way it is, and shortening your irons by 1/2". I think it will affect your swing weight by 3-4 points, but you can easily add about 2-4 grams with lead tape to balance it again.

Don't forget hard step and renumber them, also

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

Ok,so take the 4 iron,the least important club,bend Two (2) degrees,retest,confirm its OK,still playable, then go two (2) degrees more too your Four Degree Goal.

Retest,play,look at it,can you live with the club

I have built clubs where favourite head eg tm r7 Quad and Trusty prolaunch blue were a non fit 4 me...just didnt work..yet stock the Quad was say an 85% fit...i was chasing the extra 10%.

I see you with Rose Protos at 50% trying too gain 40% More.

A big ask.

Custom Builds are about finding/maximising the last 10/15%.

Not Fourty Percent.

Wish you well.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!