Beginner New Club Advice

Hey all fairly new to golf, been playing off and on about 5 years since I married into a family that loves golf (wife included which is pretty cool to be able to play with her). I have older used clubs which get me around ok, but lately I have been playing more frequently, around 2-3 times a month, and am really starting to hate the look of my irons. My current irons are ping g10 5-9, and sw no pw. I am starting to strike the ball more consistently but still not great, plenty of fat and thin shots. I know the chunkiness and offset of the clubs help with forgiveness but damn they’re ugly to look at I can’t get over it. Most of my group does game irons on the gi side but not near as ugly as the g10s. I hit my father in laws 718 ap2’s and they felt and looked great but definitely had a harder time with miss hits which a lot of mine are. Basically just looking for advice on clubs that are newer but not new that still offer forgiveness without being down right ugly. For fun my current set up is an older Cobra zero limits driver, tour edge 4 wood, ping g10 irons 5-9/sw, and Taylor made Daytona putter. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Truth !

Second post where you have been preaching fitting.  Dude...  It's very overrated IMO.  Especially with someone like the OP that doesn't seem to even have a consistent swing.  His money would be better

Is there anyone in your group that has irons that you do like to hit?  That may help narrow down your choices.   If I were in your position, I would look at Mizuno Hot Metal, Ping G400, or C

Is there anyone in your group that has irons that you do like to hit?  That may help narrow down your choices.

If I were in your position, I would look at Mizuno Hot Metal, Ping G400, or Cleveland Launcher irons 5-pw or even  6-gap wedge.  If those don’t suit your eye, then Srixon 565/585 or Taylormade 790.  

Demoing different clubs and shafts will help as well if possible.  Lessons will also improve your swing if you want to go down that path.

Nothing wrong with tour edge fairway or your putter. Maybe add a 7 wood or 4 hybrid between 4 wood and 5 iron.  Any 56 degree sand wedge at the top end.  A Ping G400 series or 2016 Taylormade M2 driver can round out the bag.

Good luck, and have fun golfing with the family! 

• Thanks 1

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

How much are you looking to spend?  Sub 70 699 pro might be a good option.  I’d look at one of the combo sets with the utility irons.  Very good value.  I’d also look for a set of mizuno 919 hot metal pros.  They are fairly good looking for a set that offers a lot of forgiveness.  Pxg 0211’s are relatively inexpensive right now as well if that is in the budget.  If your looking at replacing your driver and don’t need the absolute latest and greatest I would look for a ts2 driver.  They can be had really cheap right now (the fw as well).  Good luck with your search!

• Like 1

Hmmm, ok, the in laws n wife are into golf,but you're here asking a bunch of strangers?

Ok then.

If you've tried the AP2, why not have a look at the more 'forgiving' AP1 line from Titleist?

Also consider shaft flex. Wrong flex could be making it harder for you. Talk to your FIL or other in-laws.

• Like 1

First, welcome to GolfWRX. 🙂

You can't go wrong sticking with Ping, however, if you are serious about the game, then getting a fitting would benefit you most in determining what clubs to get. There are so many great options that offer what you are looking for. All the major brands offer something you would like, it just depends on what would work best for you...which only a fitting can do. 

A bit of a segue here, but you may want to work on developing a good short game. You don't need to be young or athletic to develop one, and it's a real stroke saver.

Good luck!

45 minutes ago, Sean2 said:

First, welcome to GolfWRX. 🙂

You can't go wrong sticking with Ping, however, if you are serious about the game, then getting a fitting would benefit you most in determining what clubs to get. There are so many great options that offer what you are looking for. All the major brands offer something you would like, it just depends on what would work best for you...which only a fitting can do. 

A bit of a segue here, but you may want to work on developing a good short game. You don't need to be young or athletic to develop one, and it's a real stroke saver.

Good luck!

Second post where you have been preaching fitting.  Dude...  It's very overrated IMO.  Especially with someone like the OP that doesn't seem to even have a consistent swing.  His money would be better spent initially on lessons than a fitting.  

Two things in golf that are overrated; fittings and forgiveness.  If you are "non-std" in stature (short or tall), then a static fitting is helpful.  But for most people, "std" is fine.  

• Confused 2

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5*

Callaway Epic Flash 3W, 3/4 hybrids

Mizuno MP20 MMC, 4-PW

Mizuno T20 52*/58* wedges

Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E

5 minutes ago, Ripken08 said:

Second post where you have been preaching fitting.  Dude...  It's very overrated IMO.  Especially with someone like the OP that doesn't seem to even have a consistent swing.  His money would be better spent initially on lessons than a fitting.  

Two things in golf that are overrated; fittings and forgiveness.  If you are "non-std" in stature (short or tall), then a static fitting is helpful.  But for most people, "std" is fine.  

I wouldn't say I am "preaching", just recommending. Clubs today are quite expensive, might was well get a set that works best for you. With a fitting, among other things, you get to try a variety of head and shaft combinations, which is no bad thing. My first fitting was very beneficial. Turned out I needed irons/wedges that were +2-inches and 2º upright. 

On another note, I have always felt "forgiveness" is overrated. Regardless of what type of club you play, you still have to put a good swing on the ball to get decent results. 

ps: my name isn't "dude", lol. 

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Ripken08 said:

That is your opinion, and that's fine. 

Plenty of other opinions are different. And they all lean towards getting fit. Even if it's just for length and lie, it's far better than just grabbing a set off the shelf or used from a friend. We all have different heights, arm lengths, leg lengths, stance at setup, etc. Better to spend a few bucks up front and make sure what you're hitting are giving you the best chance at a decent shot. Lessons are absolutely a good idea as well, but if the length, stiffness and lie are wrong, there's still going to be issues. But I'm sure you know all of that. 

To the OP - Plenty of forgiving SGI clubs out there that aren't as chunky as the G10s. Go hit a bunch and see what you like the looks of and feel of, and make sure the shafts and setup are correct for you. Then go have fun with your family. 

I would never consider the G line from Ping, they look extremely fat, and look awful. Lately i have had ping i10 4/W and ping i3+ blade 4/W (smaller heads) but still plenty of offset.

IMO, you should not get fitted, just stick to some regular shafts, an easy and smoth swing. Some cheap TaylorMade r7 or r9, a strong cobra f8 fairway wood, ANY sand wedge will do the job.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Sean2 said:

I wouldn't say I am "preaching", just recommending. Clubs today are quite expensive, might was well get a set that works best for you. With a fitting, among other things, you get to try a variety of head and shaft combinations, which is no bad thing. My first fitting was very beneficial. Turned out I needed irons/wedges that were +2-inches and 2º upright. 

On another note, I have always felt "forgiveness" is overrated. Regardless of what type of club you play, you still have to put a good swing on the ball to get decent results. 

ps: my name isn't "dude", lol. 

A static fitting.....exactly!  "dude"  LOL

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5*

Callaway Epic Flash 3W, 3/4 hybrids

Mizuno MP20 MMC, 4-PW

Mizuno T20 52*/58* wedges

Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E

1 hour ago, Ripken08 said:

Truth !

• Like 2

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

4 hours ago, Mconn116 said:

Hey all fairly new to golf, been playing off and on about 5 years since I married into a family that loves golf (wife included which is pretty cool to be able to play with her). I have older used clubs which get me around ok, but lately I have been playing more frequently, around 2-3 times a month, and am really starting to hate the look of my irons. My current irons are ping g10 5-9, and sw no pw. I am starting to strike the ball more consistently but still not great, plenty of fat and thin shots. I know the chunkiness and offset of the clubs help with forgiveness but damn they’re ugly to look at I can’t get over it. Most of my group does game irons on the gi side but not near as ugly as the g10s. I hit my father in laws 718 ap2’s and they felt and looked great but definitely had a harder time with miss hits which a lot of mine are. Basically just looking for advice on clubs that are newer but not new that still offer forgiveness without being down right ugly. For fun my current set up is an older Cobra zero limits driver, tour edge 4 wood, ping g10 irons 5-9/sw, and Taylor made Daytona putter. 

Plenty of good options out there... maybe ask your wife and see what she thinks? If nothing else she’d probably appreciate being asked for input.

I highly recommend checking out the ping fitting chart and seeing what specs they recommend for you... knowing the average fit for your height and wrist to floor is always good information. 

plenty of great options new and used, just depends on your budget and your willingness to take the time. 

most expensive: full fitting, at your level, I’d suggest using ping vs an agnostic fitter, as they will overwhelm you with variables. 

next would be finding a set you like and buying them new with the lofts and lies you like... more of a time investment on your end, but it can be fun.

you can go cheaper, figure out your length and lie and order from a dtc. Sub70 golf is my go to dtc brand, but Hogan and new level have good reputations

say f*** it, scan the bst for a deal you like on clubs that look good, pay a golfwrx member and get some new sticks... if they fail, just flip them back on the market.

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

I have taken one lesson and enjoyed will definitely be getting more soon. As far as trying other clubs father in law hits the ap2 which look great but punishing on my mishits, brother in law hits blades, and other brother in law has some Walmart specials he somehow still uses to shoot under 80 regularly with. And the wife is in the same boat as me, enjoys the game but still learning her dad never taught her. I’ve hit the p790s at a shop and really enjoyed them but don’t feel my ability is there yet. After a a few more lessons and range time if I get more consistent I may consider something along the p790 line and try to grow into them a bit more. Also the Wilson v6 irons are outright sexy to look at I would love it hit them  and see if I could grow into them a bit. I would love to get fitted down the line but for right now am focused on getting a few lessons and building a repeatable swing.

54 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Truth !

True that.  The purpose of professional level fittings in the hundreds of dollars of to optimize dispersion and ballflight for those who have grooved their swings with consistent point of impact on the clubhead.  For a beginner who never held a club in his/her life, it is best to do a static fitting to start.  I myself been playing the game since 2000 and good enough to hit blades yet all my clubs are pretty much to stock specs (which is good enough for me).  I would love to do a driver fitting one of these days.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

1 hour ago, Moeinorman said:

I would never consider the G line from Ping, they look extremely fat, and look awful. Lately i have had ping i10 4/W and ping i3+ blade 4/W (smaller heads) but still plenty of offset.

IMO, you should not get fitted, just stick to some regular shafts, an easy and smoth swing. Some cheap TaylorMade r7 or r9, a strong cobra f8 fairway wood, ANY sand wedge will do the job.

True.  If you have good technique, any wedge will do  (as long as the grooves are decent).  You don't need to have a $800 wedge with your initials or motto stamped and hand ground by Bob Vokey himself to shoot sub 80 golf.

Edited by cgasucks

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

4 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

The purpose of professional level fittings in the hundreds of dollars of to optimize dispersion and ballflight for those who have grooved their swings with consistent point of impact on the clubhead.  

Well, for the past 10 years I've had several friends of mine get "professionally fitted" for long clubs or irons, or wedges, or putter, or all clubs.

On the golf course, not one of the friends has struck especially better shots and, or, kept the fitted club (s) in his bag , longer than non fitted clubs.

Inevitably they keep in their bag strike their consistently best shots with clubs that made it thru the trial and error process, that is playing rounds of golf.

These are experienced , high skill level players, all of whom routinely shoot 72 or better. If you  give them any club, within a swing or two they can make technique adjustments to produce reasonably good shots. The fitted clubs did not help them. So, I can't imagine how fitted clubs would help lesser skilled players who shoot in the 80's, 90's 100's.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Id probably stick with the G10s and work on your game. Those are excellent beginners clubs. If you cant get past the look find some used Maltbys on ebay.

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S

Adams XTD 17* Fubuki 

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Callaway Apex 23* OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

5-6 Srixon Z585 Modus 120S

7-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

50 Cleveland RTX 4

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

Save yourself thousands of dollars and get your family into another sport!  Or better yet, save yourself tens of thousands of dollars and delete golfwrx from your internet browsing rotation!!  Just kidding.....It is the greatest sport in the world and to have a wife and in-laws into it, that's gold.  

Perhaps you could find a deal on the G410's when the G425's get off the ground.  IMO, the 410's are an upgrade in looks and performance from the G10's.  BTW, your set-up is pretty sweet as it is.

• Like 1

/ What's in my bag is more than meets the eye /

3 hours ago, cgasucks said:

True that.  The purpose of professional level fittings in the hundreds of dollars of to optimize dispersion and ballflight for those who have grooved their swings with consistent point of impact on the clubhead.  For a beginner who never held a club in his/her life, it is best to do a static fitting to start.  I myself been playing the game since 2000 and good enough to hit blades yet all my clubs are pretty much to stock specs (which is good enough for me).  I would love to do a driver fitting one of these days.

Thats my point! Beginners should play blades in order to hit it well. Later they could use Game Improvement irons, but with a technique already developed to hit it well

26 minutes ago, Moeinorman said:

Thats my point! Beginners should play blades in order to hit it well. Later they could use Game Improvement irons, but with a technique already developed to hit it well

I don't know about that.  When I started golfing I thought the same way as well.  I bought a set of FG-17s and a set of 1971 Button Backs thinking it will get me better quicker (it really didn't) and went to GI irons for since then.  Years later, when I thought my swing was consistent enough to play with blades, I dug them out again and noticed that I did.  If I did it again I would start with SGI clubs and work my way down on the iron forgiveness chain as I got better.

Edited by cgasucks

47 minutes ago, Mconn116 said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to a more players type iron, the only reason it turns me off a little is that I have been playing fairly regularly lately and still want to be able to enjoy the time on the course. I may look back into the p790. Anyone have experience with the Wilson v6? They look really nice

The v6’s are gorgeous irons!  I want them as well, but know I would struggle.  790’s, hot metal, and srixon 5 series will be more forgiving.

As mentioned above.  You can buy some v6’s to try, and sell them with minimal loss if any if they do not work out.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

Welcome to the varied, and often strongly held, opinions of GolfWRX! 

Do yourself a favor and read a little about the business and BS of golf clubs and fitting, thanks to Tom Wishon, a bit of a legend in the club design and fitting business who is now semi-retired.

https://wishongolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/New-12Myths-PDF-2014.pdf

To quote Tom: 

"Now, let’s be clear—I am not saying that by being custom fit you can somehow go from being an average player to qualifying for next year’s U.S. Open. Buying new clubs—even truly custom fitted ones—is NOT a substitute for learning and “grooving” the proper swing fundamentals. It never has been. It never will be.

I AM saying, however, that equipment that doesn’t fit—the wrong length, lie, loft, shaft, face angle, grip, flex, or weight—will keep you from being all that you could be as a golfer. I have worked with a lot of teaching professionals and I can assure you, golfers who take lessons with properly fit clubs adapt to swing coaching much faster and more successfully than golfers who take lessons using golf clubs that are poorly fit."

IMO, the biggest return on investment for a new golfer is LESSONS. However, if you are going to spend money on clubs, you might as well make sure that the set fits YOU, especially in terms of length, total weight (shaft weight is main contributor), shaft flex, grip size. If the heads can be bent fairly easily, then adjusting lie angles and lofts is a standard service for any competent club fitter. Even if you are of average height, arm length and hand size there is still a huge difference between a set of off-the-shelf irons with 130g steel shafts vs 70g graphite shafts.   

Every major OEM produces a range of excellent club heads, but they do vary a lot in terms of sole width, sole shaping (flat, rounded, V-sole, bounce angles), cavity/no cavity, center of gravity location, offset, top line width, blade length, moment of inertia etc.  

If I were advising someone who is new to the game, but reasonably athletic with good eye-hand coordination, I would start with something like the Titleist AP1/T200, Ping G410/i210, Mizuno JPX Forged/Hot Metal Pro, Wilson Staff D7 Forged, TaylorMade P790/P770, Callaway Apex. All these club heads are forgiving, have mid sized sole widths, feel soft and can easily be adjusted for loft and lie. The Ping irons can be a bit more difficult to bend, but can be ordered with custom lie and loft. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist 915D3 driver, Xcaliber RT6 S

Wishon 950HC 3 fwy, Aldila Tour Blue 75 S

Wishon 949MC 5 fwy, Aldila Tour Blue 75 S

Wishon 575 MMC CB irons, 4 - GW, Nippon NS Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX-3, 56 deg, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 R