2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Jon Rahm to Callaway

1 minute ago, golfmatt said:

Yeah I did see something on twitter about a certain Englishman, everyone was talking Fleetwood, maybe it's poults

Rory and Tiger arent running with Poults. Fleetwood is another Nike apparel guy. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Englishman...former Nike equip/ current apparel staffer...Casey?

Edited by Mitchell
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

If Rahm is confirmed, certainly makes sense as to why Callaway bought up a bunch of Aldila ATX Tour Green shafts lately👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Could be Matt Wallace.. he has played Ping and Callaway lately.  Playing well in Europe so maybe he's the guy.  

Fleetwood makes good sense too.

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

i get that the golf industry is flourishing money wise so they have money to spend, but who is really helping the sell clubs to the public?  Does the average guy even know who plays what? have you ever heard someone say I want the same driver as Jon Rham.... no.  Realistically most people dont care unless its Tiger, and to a lesser extent maybe DJ and Rory, and then right now Bryson... but no one is buying any of the one length crap and giant grips etc but he's good at getting the logo in front of the camera right now.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mktrout said:

i get that the golf industry is flourishing money wise so they have money to spend, but who is really helping the sell clubs to the public?  Does the average guy even know who plays what?

No. Many golfers likely have no idea what clubs they are even playing themselves. The people that might care the most are a small subset that belong to golf equipment specific forums/db's like WRX, etc. And within that small group many don't care what any pro plays. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grm24 said:

No. Many golfers likely have no idea what clubs they are even playing themselves. The people that might care the most are a small subset that belong to golf equipment specific forums/db's like WRX, etc. And within that small group many don't care what any pro plays. 

Got to disagree.  This may have been true a long time ago but not what I'm seeing today.  Dudes these days even know what shafts they got now.  More and more people are getting fitted these days and are more aware of most of their equipment.  I'm pretty sure fujikura sold a crap ton of ventus because of how popular it got on tour.

If rahmbo plays lights out and say wins multiple majors this year with Callaway...it will generate more interest in what clubs he plays.  It's human nature.

Edited by mikey6866
Spelling
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, mikey6866 said:

Got to disagree.  This may have been true a long time ago but not what I'm seeing today.  Dudes these days even know what shafts they got now.  More and more people are getting fitted these days and are more aware of most of their equipment.  I'm pretty sure fujikura sold a crap ton of ventus because of how popular it got on tour.

The current USA golf population is around 22-24 million players. What percentage of those players do you actually think know what clubs/shafts/balls any PGA Tour professional golfers use? It's tiny. That's even before considering the rest of the golf population around the rest of the globe.

What members of WRX and other places like this discuss or possibly might use what gear professionals use is not representative of the golf population as a whole. Not even close.

Edited by grm24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mikey6866 said:

If rahmbo plays lights out and say wins multiple majors this year with Callaway...it will generate more interest in what clubs he plays.  It's human nature.

It might generate more short term interest for Callaway but is doesn't mean it will translate to increased sales. Ask Nike how well that worked for them when Tiger was winning majors with their gear and when Rory used Nike gear to win majors. Worked out so well for Nike that they left the club business altogether. They were two of the most well know players in recent history (that with Tiger being the possible GOAT). Rahm isn't close to being in that class. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mktrout said:

i get that the golf industry is flourishing money wise so they have money to spend, but who is really helping the sell clubs to the public?  Does the average guy even know who plays what? have you ever heard someone say I want the same driver as Jon Rham.... no.  Realistically most people dont care unless its Tiger, and to a lesser extent maybe DJ and Rory, and then right now Bryson... but no one is buying any of the one length crap and giant grips etc but he's good at getting the logo in front of the camera right now.  

My point exactly. IDK if the golf industry is flush. Up from the recent years but nowhere near the high of 2004-2008. They bought him for pride and the logo on the front of his hat. Callaway will see under a 1% uptick from this signing. I've already said if they landed Morikowa, Wolff or Fleetwood it'd be a better catch. Hell I'd argue having Ryo on their staff is better for their bottom line.

Taylormade Stealth Plus 10.5 - Fujikura Evo II 665 X

Callaway Mavrik SZ 16.5* - Fujikura Speeder Evo V 757 X

4-PW Titleist CNCPT CP02 True Temper Monaco X

46, 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM9 Raw - True Temper Monaco X and S

Taylormade Spider Tour

5 hours ago, mikey6866 said:

Gotta be him or horsfield.  I think Casey and horsfield both already play alot of tm clubs.

Casey currently uses 2 TM clubs LOL (driver & 3 wood). Casey is 43 years old and doesn't move any PR needle. Certainly sounds like somebody TM would replace a young and improving current world number 2 and former world number 1 with.  🙄🙄 FFS.

1 hour ago, grm24 said:

It might generate more short term interest for Callaway but is doesn't mean it will translate to increased sales. Ask Nike how well that worked for them when Tiger was winning majors with their gear and when Rory used Nike gear to win majors. Worked out so well for Nike that they left the club business altogether. They were two of the most well know players in recent history (that with Tiger being the possible GOAT). Rahm isn't close to being in that class. 

Seems to be a working pretty good for Taylormade right now.  I never said people would buy everything Callaway for the rest of their life just because of rahm.  They signed rahm because he is one of the best players in the world and if he wins a bunch of tournaments with their clubs it will only raise their profile as the perceived "best" clubs to the audience they are selling products to.  There aren't many in tigers class, but rahm could be world #1 at some point again in 2021.  He's not some scrub.

19 minutes ago, grm24 said:

Casey currently uses 2 TM clubs LOL (driver & 3 wood). Casey is 43 years old and doesn't move any PR needle. Certainly sounds like somebody TM would replace a young and improving current world number 2 and former world number 1 with.  🙄🙄 FFS.

Ok so yep Casey and horsfield are already playing tm clubs.  I said nothing about pr.  It's rumored it's a englishman that's not high profile that is also with nike.  Those are the 2 guys that fit that profile the best.  One post rahm is a nobody compared to tiger and rory. The next post he's the irreplaceable tm guy #2 player in the world.  Make up your mind.

17 minutes ago, grm24 said:

People talking about Rahm in his thread has no bearing in the real world. 

I think we're seeing the trend here.  Just can't tell if your a tm fanboy, a Callaway hater, or a rahm hater.  Sounds like all 3.

I think you might have missed you nap today.  You seem a little grouchy.

1 hour ago, mikey6866 said:

I think we're seeing the trend here.  Just can't tell if your a tm fanboy, a Callaway hater, or a rahm hater.  Sounds like all 3.

I think you might have missed you nap today.  You seem a little grouchy.

Wow. Not grouchy at all. Maybe look in your mirror. Just saying. You couldn't be more wrong about me and my equipment preferences. Be careful about assuming. Blind assumptions generally don't end well.

So your replies read like a Callaway fan boy. Amirite? Pretty sure I am. I have espoused for years here that everyone should play clubs that are the best for them. Whether it's OEM, component or knock off. For the record I'm not a TM fanboy. I have 1 TM club in my bag. A 2003/4 R580XD TP tour issue driver. I've got a small pro shop worth of gear in my office I do not game anymore that covers many OEM's or not. My current bag has 6 different OEM's in it. Callaway included. Odyssey at times as well. Nice assumption on your part as incorrect as it is.

Phil Mickelson who is the 2nd or 3rd best player of his generation since Tiger turned pro in September 1996 won 4 of his 5 majors with Callaway clubs. Didn't make Callaway a world beater in equipment. So how will Rahm who will never be the player Phil has been, will never be as popular was Phil has been, likely won't win as many majors as PM and still move gear? It won't happen.  Easy answer. I know. Facts are frowned upon here. Sorry.

Edited by grm24

7 hours ago, grm24 said:

Branded headcovers are the Elixir of the masses

• Haha 2

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

3 hours ago, Justapitchandaputt said:

Banking on Horsfield

Horsfield has a ton of upside and potential.  There's a risk because he could flame out or become injury prone but he's got massive game and would cost less than Fleetwood.  Fleetwood would cost more, is a known quantity, personable and likeable and certainly more recognizable on a global level.  But at this point I don't think we'd see him break out and start winning all over the place.  It kind of is what it is with him at this point which isn't bad but just kind of depends on what TM wants.

Edited by the bishop

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

32 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Wallace is the only guy who could make me root for Reed.

Whoa 😳 who is that guy Wallace ??

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

44 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Wallace is the only guy who could make me root for Reed.

Takes a special person to caddie for Wallace. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/news/matt-wallace-caddie-bmw-dave-mcneilly/amp/

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

21 hours ago, MillerLowLife said:

Maybe this is just my anecdotal observation with golf companies but it seems like Callaway has been laying A LOT of ground work for becoming a powerhouse within the industry. They've made some big acquisitions in the last couple of years; OGIO, TravisMatthews, Toulon, and now TopGolf. I would almost think that this could be the first of a couple big names to sign with them. Especially since they seem to have no problem spending money now. 

Interesting. I see Callaway a a fading company. Especially compared to TM. The total package is lagging. From tour presence to social media. If you love Callaway, you can find reasons not to feel this way, but as a neutral, they’re caught in between. 

7 hours ago, grm24 said:

Wow. Not grouchy at all. Maybe look in your mirror. Just saying. You couldn't be more wrong about me and my equipment preferences. Be careful about assuming. Blind assumptions generally don't end well.

So your replies read like a Callaway fan boy. Amirite? Pretty sure I am. I have espoused for years here that everyone should play clubs that are the best for them. Whether it's OEM, component or knock off. For the record I'm not a TM fanboy. I have 1 TM club in my bag. A 2003/4 R580XD TP tour issue driver. I've got a small pro shop worth of gear in my office I do not game anymore that covers many OEM's or not. My current bag has 6 different OEM's in it. Callaway included. Odyssey at times as well. Nice assumption on your part as incorrect as it is.

Phil Mickelson who is the 2nd or 3rd best player of his generation since Tiger turned pro in September 1996 won 4 of his 5 majors with Callaway clubs. Didn't make Callaway a world beater in equipment. So how will Rahm who will never be the player Phil has been, will never be as popular was Phil has been, likely won't win as many majors as PM and still move gear? It won't happen.  Easy answer. I know. Facts are frowned upon here. Sorry.

I could care less what you play or what rahm plays.  Lol this blind assumption really got me on hot water!! Oh no what will I do now that some random wanker on a message board may be upset that I may or may not assumed what he might play.  What am I going to do??

I have played pretty much everbodys equipment.  I have Callaway, tm, honma, and ping in bag currently.  Not sure why you feel it's important to say how "diverse" your bag is or my bag may be.  You just come off as "hurt" that people suggested that if rahm plays well with Callaway that it does nothing for Callaway.  I just disagreed with that and you have had holier than thou responses ever since then.  

Lol.  You keep harping on these same things like they are facts buts it's not black and white.  The part about Phil is so nonsensical I don't even know where to begin.  The facts are, since you care so much, Callaway dominated the market at that time and was #1 in wood sales for the whole late 90's and early 2000's.  That's an actual fact.  That was before Phil even won a major.  When Phil was winning majors you act like Callaway wasn't doing well.  They were generally #1 in sales those years

https://callawaygolf.gcs-web.com/news-releases/news-release-details/callaway-golf-no-1-us-wood-sales-retail-sixth-straight-year-also

It's proving my point that having Phil at that time was moving clubs for them.  That's the way marketing works.  Tiger no doubt boosted graphite design di sales back in the day.  It became one of the most popular shafts of all time.  Not many would have even tried it if tiger wasn't gaming it.  Fujikura is having huge success on tour with ventus and it's reflecting that in sales.  There are examples on each side.  Will Callaway live and die based on rahms results with their clubs? No. But nobody is saying that to begin with.  If rahm wins 2 majors this year with Callaway I will guarantee you Callaway stuff will fly off the shelves.  Your comprehension of ehat I'm saying in severely lacking.  You keep comparing rahm to all time greats for some reason, I have no clue how this supports your argument because it makes no sense.  Callaway signed rahm because he's one of the best in the game.  Will his career be as good as tigers or phils, maybe not, but I'm not sure why you are saying he has to be to be successful with callaway.  Also saying your opinion as a fact doesn't change what an actual fact is.  Callaway has been at the top of sales for a majority of years in the last 2 decades.  So they have been a world beater in sales quite literally.  That entire last paragraph was almost entirely your OPINION and you ended with facts are frowned upon.  Facts do not even support your opinion on your argument.   I'm still laughing at that.

So as I said earlier...go take a nap.  You need one grouchy pants.

• Like 2