The Grip - Revisited

mgoblue83

34 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

It's so hard to tell anything with the pictures but I have the same wear on my glove. I get a hole in that heel pad of your hand area very quickly.

Right.  

I think we need someone to illustrate what in the palm and in the fingers actually means.  To me I grip it in my fingers. But it does ride on the lower section of palm pad. Nearest My pinky and move as the pics show. As These two pics show my left hand grip.  

maybe yours is like this and not really in the palm ?  

323DD10C-95F3-43E0-BAF4-0A98E73340FD.jpeg

DBCDFD05-78F1-4CC2-8585-814FA5A2BCD7.jpeg

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, Simpsonia said:

Ah sorry, I must have misunderstood the web to web comment. I thought you meant you were interlocking so far that the webbing between the fingers was actually touching the other webbing, ie you can't physically move your hands closer together. I think the finger end to finger end idea is essentially the same thing as Jack's interlock, just stated differently. The tip of his pinky is only just touching the webbing of the left hand's index finger, and vice versa. 

Here’s a pic of what in the fingers looks like to me.  Is this correct ?  If so.  I cannot imagine hitting a good golf shot from there. I just tried. And omg.  I barely have a grip on the club.  This surely is a small hands vs big hands thing ?  My fingers will entirely wrap the club leaving my hand itself ( palm etc )  out of it.  

7425F563-AE14-4F30-9A59-A916BCF48BA0.jpeg

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Ok.  So I’m finding  out how hard it is to take grip pictures. Omg.  

Can anyone read anything from these ? 

forst two are a midsized with built up bottom hand ( no taper ) last two are a standard not built up.  And then a glove I’ve been wearing a couple weeks.  

2A5F04A4-AE3A-4E7C-8608-5E2B8DAA05F8.jpeg

D0671870-9D36-4416-B231-CDE9A078D74C.jpeg

7B443484-E328-4876-87D2-49C32868BF88.jpeg

273CAD53-32F5-46C9-87A4-FAF88EEADE46.jpeg

BA4274CF-1D75-439F-8C09-3BC38E8FA12E.jpeg

From the pix and maybe the angles are not so great, but I see your left hand as weak or less than neutral. 

For me I like to hook lead hand off base of index over to 2nd pad so that bottom palm pad sits a top of shaft. Calluses are in middle pad of hand. Grip looks neutral but is somewhat more aligned with knuckles and is not so diagonal like Jack advises. 

I went to range this afternoon and tested  things. I get how the across the palm feel works for folks but I've always had a weak lead hand and it flat out feels too strong for me to do this. 

Grips do have a range and folks do have different hands and body math. So "right" has some latitude, no?

Another aspect to grip shifting is how the arms are or are not working together. If one is lead or trail dominant it can, at times be too much of a good thing. Some aspect of my past issues has pertained to that.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 4:41 PM, mgoblue83 said:

How long to leather grips last?

3 yrs minimum. I have some that are over 5 yrs old. If you have them installed with solvent and DS tape, make sure to clean them with a mild soap solution (I prefer Dawn) to remove any solvent residue in the grips. I install with air and don't have this problem. The two main brands available are Best Grips out of Conroe, TX and The Grip Master out of Australia (thru Golfworks). Best Grips have what they call "Pro Taper" which is slightly thicker under the lower hand. Grip Master are standard taper.

On a .600 b u t t shaft, I play the GM midsize with 3-4 wraps (depending on the amount of taper) under the right hand. BGs don't usually need added tape under the right hand. I'm not going to get into the hand placement discussion because I play a strong overlap grip and I can't see it helping here at all. The only point I want to make is I struggled with having the clibhead turn on heel strikes (my miss) with the driver until I started using leather. The extra tackyness stopped it cold.

BT

Edited by Ri_Redneck
  • Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

1 hour ago, Ri_Redneck said:

3 yrs minimum. I have some that are over 5 yrs old. If you have them installed with solvent and DS tape, make sure to clean them with a mild soap solution (I prefer Dawn) to remove any solvent residue in the grips. I install with air and don't have this problem. The two main brands available are Best Grips out of Conroe, TX and The Grip Master out of Australia (thru Golfworks). Best Grips have what they call "Pro Taper" which is slightly thicker under the lower hand. Grip Master are standard taper.

On a .600 b u t t shaft, I play the GM midsize with 3-4 wraps (depending on the amount of taper) under the right hand. BGs don't usually need added tape under the right hand. I'm not going to get into the hand placement discussion because I play a strong overlap grip and I can't see it helping here at all. The only point I want to make is I struggled with having the clibhead turn on heel strikes (my miss) with the driver until I started using leather. The extra tackyness stopped it cold.

BT

Great information thank you!

I am open to trying leather grips but I don't want to make the investment until I'm sure what size and hand placement I actually need. I use solvent and tape to install grips but I'm considering buying an air compressor and learning how to install with air just so I can test more sizes and shapes faster and cheaper.

Does anyone know if Monte or any other pros on here are knowledgeable about how to match grips (hand position AND type/size of grip) to swings, body types, or movement patterns?

I think we all agree that there is no one perfect grip but I don't really think it's entirely "preference" or "comfort" either. The only information I can really find is "go strong if your miss is right and go weak if your miss is left" but they don't actually talk about how to grip the club. They are just talking about rotating your hands. There has to be grips that work for certain types of swings and ball flights and grips that don't.

Thanks all!

16 hours ago, Nard_S said:

From the pix and maybe the angles are not so great, but I see your left hand as weak or less than neutral. 

For me I like to hook lead hand off base of index over to 2nd pad so that bottom palm pad sits a top of shaft. Calluses are in middle pad of hand. Grip looks neutral but is somewhat more aligned with knuckles and is not so diagonal like Jack advises. 

I went to range this afternoon and tested  things. I get how the across the palm feel works for folks but I've always had a weak lead hand and it flat out feels too strong for me to do this. 

Grips do have a range and folks do have different hands and body math. So "right" has some latitude, no?

Another aspect to grip shifting is how the arms are or are not working together. If one is lead or trail dominant it can, at times be too much of a good thing. Some aspect of my past issues has pertained to that.

Can you expand more on how trail or lead dominate affects the grip?

21 hours ago, bladehunter said:

forst two are a midsized with built up bottom hand ( no taper ) last two are a standard not built up.  And then a glove I’ve been wearing a couple weeks.  

I think you should consider using a trigger finger. It gives more stability and leverage so the club doesn't move in your hands. You probably pick up some speed, too. 

29 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Can you expand more on how trail or lead dominate affects the grip?

If arms do not work together and on some level share the burden, grip shifting will be prevalent. For decades have been mainly right side dominant in the swing, when I upped the left's responsibility, when I focused a bit more on how elbows co-exist a bit more throughout entire swing, adverse grip slippage went away.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, acekun said:

I think you should consider using a trigger finger. It gives more stability and leverage so the club doesn't move in your hands. You probably pick up some speed, too. 

Can you elaborate on this ?  Nkt sure what you mean exactly.  I pinch with my pointer and thumb.  But not sure what trigger finger means looks wise.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Realized you are not the OP but think this applies to both of you. 

I linked a youtube video -- I don't know if it's good or not since I didn't really watch it. I just googled it and it came up. But he shows what it is. Below shows Jack and Tiger using it. 

Your index finger is not extended down the shaft. Your thumb is the lowest finger instead of your index. 

I used to grip it like you until I was told that I would be more consistent and add speed if I "stopped holding it like a baseball bat." So I did and he was right. IMO, the higher the swing speed, the more important it is because of the torque on the club in transition. If the club isn't stable, the grip will move a lot in the hands which obviously is a bad thing. 

So I don't think the left hand is the issue -- that's just where you're seeing the result wearing on your glove. The issue is the right hand. 

Here's how Tiger Woods' grip has changed through the years - GOLF.com

Edited by acekun
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@bladehunter - the grip is moving in your palm during your swing.  You have it too much out of the fingers and by the looks of the camera shot (possibly not accurate) you are really weak.  

Good comments so far.  Here's a video that goes into pretty good detail on solid grips and the variety you can have, but not have the club move in your hand.  

Also - if you do change it, then it will feel really weird for a bit.  But usually doesn't take that long to adjust. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, acekun said:

Realized you are not the OP but think this applies to both of you. 

I linked a youtube video -- I don't know if it's good or not since I didn't really watch it. I just googled it and it came up. But he shows what it is. Below shows Jack and Tiger using it. 

Your index finger is not extended down the shaft. Your thumb is the lowest finger instead of your index. 

I used to grip it like you until I was told that I would be more consistent and add speed if I "stopped holding it like a baseball bat." So I did and he was right. IMO, the higher the swing speed, the more important it is because of the torque on the club in transition. If the club isn't stable, the grip will move a lot in the hands which obviously is a bad thing. 

So I don't think the left hand is the issue -- that's just where you're seeing the result wearing on your glove. The issue is the right hand. 

Here's how Tiger Woods' grip has changed through the years - GOLF.com

Thanks !  Makes sense. I’ll give that a go later today.     Change doesn’t bother me , and work is second nature to me. If.  It brings results.  I’d love to find a smoother way.   

• Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Thanks @mgoblue83 for this thread. I’m only in my third season, but the more I practice this beautiful stupid game, the more I realize the importance of the basics, the grip being one of them. 

I‘m currently in Turkey on a golf trip and have played 18 holes yesterday, and practiced for two more hours after that, because it’s just so nice here. 
Today, I played 18 again. I’m 40 y.o., and being a walker and playing X100 shafts, I certainly felt it today. 
I had one of my better ballstriking rounds yesterday, with a very relaxed grip, and got through the ball and turf great. 
Today, the opposite: death grip and stiff forearms, weak pushes all day, lost distance and could barely draw a shot (usually stock shape). 
I firmly believe that grip size matters. I have fairly big hands (ML glove size) and play Tour Velvet Midsize +4 grips. They help a great deal against gripping it too tightly and keeping it in the fingers/knuckles, as opposed to palms. 

I have yet to find out how to calm myself into a relaxed grip when I have sore muscles, but it must be the key to a loose, flexible arm and hand motion and thus, more distance and consistency. 
I‘m interested in trying JumboMax grips and will probably put one on my driver soon. 

I have a fairly weak left hand (feels natural) and I do interlock. If you can, watch Padraig Harrington‘s video on the grip. He suggests pressing the right hand firmly onto the left, and I like this now. Constantly monitoring, but when I’m relaxed, this works great for me. 

@bladehunter: I’m surprised to see you right hand under by that much, and you’re a good player. I always thought this is „wrong“ or at least undesirable. No criticism, just noticed it and found it interesting. 

Curiously following this thread for concepts and views from better players- keep it coming!

• Like 3

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

On 12/6/2020 at 1:38 PM, bladehunter said:

Your grip looks pretty similar to mine, though I’m a touch stronger in my left and even more underneath with my right. 
I get comments all the time about my “strong” grip. It looks a bit odd I will admit. Even when is see it on video it sticks out to me. 
I have found for me, as long as I control the club with my pointer right finger (trigger) like the post above mentioned, and not get it attached to my middle finger, I have great success. When I get too grande and those two fingers get together, that leads to a pull draw. 
I swing the club relatively aggressively and with good speed. I have tried in the fingers and getting my right hand in “better “ position but i simply can’t get comfortable. I push everything and fade. Feels very weak to me. 
mom sure with time and practice I could change, but am I willing? 

finding that balance of comfort and control is tough. 
good luck! 

2 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Thanks @mgoblue83 for this thread. I’m only in my third season, but the more I practice this beautiful stupid game, the more I realize the importance of the basics, the grip being one of them. 

I‘m currently in Turkey on a golf trip and have played 18 holes yesterday, and practiced for two more hours after that, because it’s just so nice here. 
Today, I played 18 again. I’m 40 y.o., and being a walker and playing X100 shafts, I certainly felt it today. 
I had one of my better ballstriking rounds yesterday, with a very relaxed grip, and got through the ball and turf great. 
Today, the opposite: death grip and stiff forearms, weak pushes all day, lost distance and could barely draw a shot (usually stock shape). 
I firmly believe that grip size matters. I have fairly big hands (ML glove size) and play Tour Velvet Midsize +4 grips. They help a great deal against gripping it too tightly and keeping it in the fingers/knuckles, as opposed to palms. 

I have yet to find out how to calm myself into a relaxed grip when I have sore muscles, but it must be the key to a loose, flexible arm and hand motion and thus, more distance and consistency. 
I‘m interested in trying JumboMax grips and will probably put one on my driver soon. 

I have a fairly weak left hand (feels natural) and I do interlock. If you can, watch Padraig Harrington‘s video on the grip. He suggests pressing the right hand firmly onto the left, and I like this now. Constantly monitoring, but when I’m relaxed, this works great for me. 

@bladehunter: I’m surprised to see you right hand under by that much, and you’re a good player. I always thought this is „wrong“ or at least undesirable. No criticism, just noticed it and found it interesting. 

Curiously following this thread for concepts and views from better players- keep it coming!

I’ll say this.  But I want to preface it first.  Not in anyway meaning it snarky.  Just saying.      I get that a lot.  People automatically assume that a plus to 0.4 handicap must know all the “ obvious “ things.     While i know a lot , and most importantly, I know how to service my own swing , I do not always know the obvious things.   I’m telling the truth when I say that I just hit ball , find ball and hit her again.  I don’t recall the last time I went to the course with a swing thought in my head.  Seriously. Other than the obvious path and aim for a shot shape , I don’t have any.  I have room at home to hit driver down , and I hit balls usually daily.   I enjoy practice.  If i didn’t I can’t imagine playing this game.  

now to the point.  Until yesterday.  I had no clue my right hand was that far underneath.  I think maybe it migrates there.  But I’d say it’s a pretty accurate depiction of where it is most shots.  And here’s the kicker. I didn’t know that was wrong either.  Lol. It’s just where it fell for comfort when I swapped to interlock in 2015ish.  I began playing in 2014 with a baseball grip.   Fought a monster hook as a miss , and swapped to interlock and learned a fade to cure the hook.   To this  day my swing wants to hit a draw , but I hate the look of a draw shape.  It feels out of control compared to a high cut.  But I’ll turn one over right to left if it calls for it.  

so to summarize, I’m curious about this myself.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, Krosch3 said:

Your grip looks pretty similar to mine, though I’m a touch stronger in my left and even more underneath with my right. 
I get comments all the time about my “strong” grip. It looks a bit odd I will admit. Even when is see it on video it sticks out to me. 
I have found for me, as long as I control the club with my pointer right finger (trigger) like the post above mentioned, and not get it attached to my middle finger, I have great success. When I get too grande and those two fingers get together, that leads to a pull draw. 
I swing the club relatively aggressively and with good speed. I have tried in the fingers and getting my right hand in “better “ position but i simply can’t get comfortable. I push everything and fade. Feels very weak to me. 
mom sure with time and practice I could change, but am I willing? 

finding that balance of comfort and control is tough. 
good luck! 

Agree there. Right hand on top feels weak as water.  As in it feels 10 mph slower with driver    

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

54 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Agree there. Right hand on top feels weak as water.  As in it feels 10 mph slower with driver    

I get the same results. Reading your last post, I have the same game going into it. No real swing thoughts just get after it. I too play to a 0-2 handicap, so my game is sharp. Went for a lesson a few years back, Coach only wanted me to work on posture and tempo. Said no reason to fix grip, you already figured it out. 
I too was a baseball player for what it is worth. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I’ll say this.  But I want to preface it first.  Not in anyway meaning it snarky.  Just saying.      I get that a lot.  People automatically assume that a plus to 0.4 handicap must know all the “ obvious “ things.     While i know a lot , and most importantly, I know how to service my own swing , I do not always know the obvious things.   I’m telling the truth when I say that I just hit ball , find ball and hit her again.  I don’t recall the last time I went to the course with a swing thought in my head.  Seriously. Other than the obvious path and aim for a shot shape , I don’t have any.  I have room at home to hit driver down , and I hit balls usually daily.   I enjoy practice.  If i didn’t I can’t imagine playing this game.  

now to the point.  Until yesterday.  I had no clue my right hand was that far underneath.  I think maybe it migrates there.  But I’d say it’s a pretty accurate depiction of where it is most shots.  And here’s the kicker. I didn’t know that was wrong either.  Lol. It’s just where it fell for comfort when I swapped to interlock in 2015ish.  I began playing in 2014 with a baseball grip.   Fought a monster hook as a miss , and swapped to interlock and learned a fade to cure the hook.   To this  day my swing wants to hit a draw , but I hate the look of a draw shape.  It feels out of control compared to a high cut.  But I’ll turn one over right to left if it calls for it.  

so to summarize, I’m curious about this myself.  

Feel like I'm looking in the mirror reading that. I never want to see the ball move left yet my strongish grip and problems holding onto the club lets it turn over in my hands and miss left far too often.

Like you - I immediately lose at least 10mph on my driver playing a neutral or weak grip. There is just NO speed or power and it feels like I might damage my wrists while swinging. It's not something I can get used to (I've tried multiple times).

Update - I swapped out the grip on my 5 iron today to a Midsize Tour Velvet +4 with 3 wraps underneath the entire thing and hit some balls today. It felt fine (compared to midsize tour wraps with 1 wrap of tape) but didn't seem to help me keep control of the club. The grip was much larger in my hands but there were still shots where the grip turned in my hand and it was definitely still rubbing a significant raw spot in the heel of my glove. Did not seem to affect ball flight in any noticeable way. This is kind of confirming my suspicion that even though I've played golf for 25 years I don't know how to grip the club correctly for my swing. FYI - I mentioned it in the OP but in case you missed it I'm a 2 handicap with a lot of speed and have no trouble finding the middle of the club face.

Thank you all for the great replies - especially that video about the index finger from Clement. Very cool video about the right hand. Anyone have any videos like that for the left hand? I think my grip is moving because my left hand is not secure (rubbing a hole in the glove etc).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Feel like I'm looking in the mirror reading that. I never want to see the ball move left yet my strongish grip and problems holding onto the club lets it turn over in my hands and miss left far too often.

Like you - I immediately lose at least 10mph on my driver playing a neutral or weak grip. There is just NO speed or power and it feels like I might damage my wrists while swinging. It's not something I can get used to (I've tried multiple times).

Update - I swapped out the grip on my 5 iron today to a Midsize Tour Velvet +4 with 3 wraps underneath the entire thing and hit some balls today. It felt fine (compared to midsize tour wraps with 1 wrap of tape) but didn't seem to help me keep control of the club. The grip was much larger in my hands but there were still shots where the grip turned in my hand and it was definitely still rubbing a significant raw spot in the heel of my glove. Did not seem to affect ball flight in any noticeable way. This is kind of confirming my suspicion that even though I've played golf for 25 years I don't know how to grip the club correctly for my swing. FYI - I mentioned it in the OP but in case you missed it I'm a 2 handicap with a lot of speed and have no trouble finding the middle of the club face.

Thank you all for the great replies - especially that video about the index finger from Clement. Very cool video about the right hand. Anyone have any videos like that for the left hand? I think my grip is moving because my left hand is not secure (rubbing a hole in the glove etc).

Yep. That’s the exact feeling if I put my right hand weak.  I feel like I’m going to harm my wrist.  And it puts the club in a weird spot at the top of the swing . 

another thought I have.  Today I wasn’t able to get out and hit balls . Wind picked up and was blowing way too much to tell what the ball was actually doing. So I didn’t bother.  Would have been a waste.  
But I did pickup a wedge and make some swings / waggles.  So for me. My grip feels like it’s both hands together.  If I weaken my right hand it weakens my left. If  I strengthen  the the right it strengthens the left.    In other words if I move my right hand up on top.  It then takes my left and moves it around toward the bottom front.  

Also noticed on the trigger finger.  If I move my hand up top.  I actually seem to use the trigger finger already.  It just wraps around if my right hand is underneath.  Or as I see it , if my right hand thumb is on top the trigger is underneath and hidden.  The trigger finger shown in the pics/video puts the thumb on the front of the shaft and not on top.  

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The point that several people and videos have made about not interlocking "all the way" keeps messing with me. I basically force my fingers together in the interlock as far as possible and when I try to only interlock halfway down the fingers it just feels awful. I haven't taken any swings like this but I feel like I have no strength in my hands like this and I worry the club would move even more in my grip?

Was talking to my brother earlier and he is a scratch golfer that uses a 10 finger grip.. Thoughts?

30 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

The point that several people and videos have made about not interlocking "all the way" keeps messing with me. I basically force my fingers together in the interlock as far as possible and when I try to only interlock halfway down the fingers it just feels awful. I haven't taken any swings like this but I feel like I have no strength in my hands like this and I worry the club would move even more in my grip?

Was talking to my brother earlier and he is a scratch golfer that uses a 10 finger grip.. Thoughts?

I started playing 10 finger.   I played to a 2 or so that way.  But fought the occasional left that can only be described as a rope hook to foul territory left field.  

i will say that I could go back to it and likely tame the hook with my today knowledge bs my then knowledge.  But I’m not inclined to blame it on interlocking.  I think interlock. Likely robs a touch of power. But it gives consistency.   The overlap is likely the good compromise.  I’ve played with it several rounds this month.  It’s powerful.  But loose.  Or more accurately, it turns my stock swing into a draw.  And I’ve yet to trust aiming right.  So results are loose.  

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

48 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Saw this.  It makes some sense to me on one hand.  And on another I feel like I’m placing my hands on the club the way he describes as the old way.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Another one that’s informative.  

but here’s a funny thing.  I don’t think my hands hang at a 45 as this video shows. They hang palms facing each other , lol.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I will chime in with my 2 cents... I played a “neutral” grip when I first started not knowing what that meant. Played fine, but things clicked when I went to a bit of a stronger grip. Roughly 3 knuckles on my left hand and what FEELS like my right hand is under the shaft, but if you look in a mirror and take your address position, it really is not under the shaft at all. My trick is when I put my “strong” left hand on the club, I make sure my palms match up on the grip and that puts my right hand in a good spot.  I also firmly believe in the “trigger finger”. Just extend your right pointer down the shaft a tiny bit in a type of hook position. Almost like you are going to fire a gun.  I used to wear out gloves like crazy (especially in the palm like you blade hunter) but not anymore. 

I can absolutely echo what was said above about swing speed. With a neutral grip, or even a strong left and neutral right, I swing driver 105-108 mph. With my now “strong”grip, I am 113-116 mph no question. I test this on the trackman at my club all the time and it really is a no brained for me to be strong. 

One thing that I personally think is super important is grip pressure. I am sure we have all read or heard grip it light, grip it firm, etc etc. I have played with all types of pressure and have found that just holding normally without adding or subtracting anything in my fingers is the perfect amount of pressure. Could also potentially help with the wear spots in gloves as well. 

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS 72

Titleist Pro V1

38 minutes ago, golfsticks said:

A player's grip connects the forearms to the shaft via the hands. 

Good point.  

I thought about this yesterday. Where do your forearms point with a proper grip ?  I have my elbows pointing at my body.  Inside elbows directly up.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

22 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Good point.  

I thought about this yesterday. Where do your forearms point with a proper grip ?  I have my elbows pointing at my body.  Inside elbows directly up.  

I think this depends on the individual.  If you leave your arms hang down to your side and relaxed, some people will have their palms of their hands flat pointing towards each other.  Others will have their hands turned in slightly towards their thighs.  I see similar correlation with the forearms.  With this, there is not a perfect grip.  What works for one person's physiology, will not work for someone else.

I have gone from 10 finger, to interlock for a few years.  Back to 10 finger with better comfort.  I have large hands, but prefer regular Tour Velvet grips that can fit in my fingertips better.

Great topic and video links in here.  I like to review the basics for simple tune-ups every now and then.  A bad grip can result in other issues that can get ugly fast.

• Like 2

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

38 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Good point.  

Elbow orientation in space does not change with a grip that does not argue with itself therefore points in the same direction when the arms hang naturally (fundamental position) at our side- they point to the rear of us- but when the arms are moved in front of our body some perceive the elbows now point to a body part (which is fine)  but they're actually maintaining their relationship to the body's midline.  

17 minutes ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

I think this depends on the individual.  If you leave your arms hang down to your side and relaxed, some people will have their palms of their hands flat pointing towards each other.  Others will have their hands turned in slightly towards their thighs.  I see similar correlation with the forearms.  With this, there is not a perfect grip.  What works for one person's physiology, will not work for someone else.

I have gone from 10 finger, to interlock for a few years.  Back to 10 finger with better comfort.  I have large hands, but prefer regular Tour Velvet grips that can fit in my fingertips better.

Great topic and video links in here.  I like to review the basics for simple tune-ups every now and then.  A bad grip can result in other issues that can get ugly fast.

This is what I suspected to be true too.  Whne my hands hang naturally My palms are facing each other and inside of my elbow  facing forward .  Which is pretty much how I place my hands on the club.  A little testing finally this morning.  We shall see. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, iceman1118 said:

I will chime in with my 2 cents... I played a “neutral” grip when I first started not knowing what that meant. Played fine, but things clicked when I went to a bit of a stronger grip. Roughly 3 knuckles on my left hand and what FEELS like my right hand is under the shaft, but if you look in a mirror and take your address position, it really is not under the shaft at all. My trick is when I put my “strong” left hand on the club, I make sure my palms match up on the grip and that puts my right hand in a good spot.  I also firmly believe in the “trigger finger”. Just extend your right pointer down the shaft a tiny bit in a type of hook position. Almost like you are going to fire a gun.  I used to wear out gloves like crazy (especially in the palm like you blade hunter) but not anymore. 

I can absolutely echo what was said above about swing speed. With a neutral grip, or even a strong left and neutral right, I swing driver 105-108 mph. With my now “strong”grip, I am 113-116 mph no question. I test this on the trackman at my club all the time and it really is a no brained for me to be strong. 

One thing that I personally think is super important is grip pressure. I am sure we have all read or heard grip it light, grip it firm, etc etc. I have played with all types of pressure and have found that just holding normally without adding or subtracting anything in my fingers is the perfect amount of pressure. Could also potentially help with the wear spots in gloves as well. 

Thank you for joining the thread!

My biggest question to everyone is HOW you actually hold the club and I don't mean strong, weak, neutral. I completely agree with you about a strong grip and "normal" grip pressure but how do you hold the club in your left hand? Perpendicular with the fingers? In your fingers? Base of your fingers? In your palm? Diagonal across your palm? Holding on with Pinky finger or just ring/middle? Etc. etc. etc.

I know all of these questions sound crazy but even after all of these videos and playing golf for 25 years to a 2 handicap I don't know the answer to how you hold the club with your left hand. The right hand is much easier because it goes on after the left...