Sports Illustrated - How Bryson DeChambeau Is Breaking the Game of Golf

This guy is so awesome.   He is a bright guy who majored in physics at university.  He does not talk about stupid things like college ball.  The workout he does is amazing.  What kind of blue car is that?  Nissan Skyline GT-R?

Is he really breaking golf like SI says?  Sports Illustrated really likes the guy.

• Like 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't know Sports Illustrated was still in business.....Next thing you will be telling me people are still reading Newsweek.

I think he hurt the USGA's feelings, more than he broke golf. At the end of the day he had 2 wins this year which is obviously still very good.    I've made this analogy before but Bryson is

Oh yeah!

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, FakeClubPro said:

This guy is so awesome.   He is a bright guy who majored in physics at university.  He does not talk about stupid things like college ball.  The workout he does is amazing.  What kind of blue car is that?  Nissan Skyline GT-R?

Is he really breaking golf like SI says?  Sports Illustrated really likes the guy.

As for the car, it’s a Bentley Continental convertible. 

And for “breaking” golf, absolutely not. If he were breaking it her be winning every week, not blaming a golf ball he helped design for a poor week at Augusta. 

BF9F0A9F-A98D-4CA6-A016-CF45EB88AC37.jpeg

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST / Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TSi2 16.5* / Fujikura Ventus Black 8x

Titleist TSi2 21* / Fujikura Ventus Red 9x

Titleist T100-S 4-W / True Temper DG X7

Vokey SM8 54-12 D Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Vokey SM8 WW 58-6 LB K Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 Dual Balance / KBS CT Tour

PXG One and Done

2 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

And for “breaking” golf, absolutely not. If he were breaking it her be winning every week, not blaming a golf ball he helped design for a poor week at Augusta. 

It’s the golf ball now? During the tournament it was some sort of illness and dizziness. What a knob. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

It’s the golf ball now? During the tournament it was some sort of illness and dizziness. What a knob. 

Here’s the thread about the ball issue...

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1778175-bryson-not-happy-with-the-b-x-and-his-new-quest-for-the-perfect-ball/?tab=comments#comment-23258571

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST / Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TSi2 16.5* / Fujikura Ventus Black 8x

Titleist TSi2 21* / Fujikura Ventus Red 9x

Titleist T100-S 4-W / True Temper DG X7

Vokey SM8 54-12 D Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Vokey SM8 WW 58-6 LB K Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 Dual Balance / KBS CT Tour

PXG One and Done

2 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

He's sponsored by Bentley. They provide him with a car at every tour stop. Usually a Bentayga.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

He ought to be honest and admit the truth: His quest for even more distance upset the balance of his game. That would be the dignified thing to do. 

5 hours ago, FakeClubPro said:

Very interesting guy. He's definitely one of the game changers of this generation. What he has achieved in a short year is incredible. 

His willingness to explore new territories and his audacity to go outside of the sport's conventional wisdoms is most admirable. 

Love him or hate him, one should give him the credit that he deserves. 

• Like 3

I must say I really hate the "scientist golfer" designation. Just because the guy studied physics doesn't mean he does what scientists do...which is perform well controlled experiments to advance current knowledge. I would say he applies analytics to golf to try and maximize his scoring. Sometimes it works like at the US Open, and sometimes being human gets in the way (Masters). While the game pros play and us regular folk play has always been different, it seems the gap has only grown larger and BDC's approach is part of that.

Here is my take.  In my travels to different golf courses and watching other golfers, I never see players swinging with the efficiency and apparent ease such as a Rory McIlroy or Dustin Johnson.  I do see players making strained-effort swings like Bryson.

So he's got that going for him.  The common man swing.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
19 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I think he hurt the USGA's feelings, more than he broke golf. At the end of the day he had 2 wins this year which is obviously still very good. 

I've made this analogy before but Bryson is essentially the Houston Rockets of golf. He basically reduced it to a math equation and that's what bothers a lot of people. He said "longer is better statistically in almost every case" so decided to do everything he could to hit it longer all the time. It takes a lot of the mystique out of the game. 

The Rockets did the same thing to the NBA, when they said that shooting 33% from 3 is better than shooting 50% from 2. So they set out to only shoot layups and 3-pters and design their whole offense around that. A lot of people don't like the Rockets for this. 

I think we get lost in what the game is "supposed to be" too much. The object of golf is to shoot the lowest scores. Bryson is just trying it this way and he's won twice. When he wins 11 times in a season let's talk then. The Rockets never won a championship either...

Agreed. These articles and threads are just space filling prattle. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Agreed. These articles and threads are just space filling prattle. 

SI has been a shadow of what it was for a long, long time. But big city newspapers got rid of photographers and reporters as well. 

Just a plug for SI’s Vault if you ever want to sit down for several minutes and read a good piece about just about anything. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sean2 said:

I don't think his work ethic can be questioned, and his thinking outside the box puts some people off. Props to him for following the beat of his own drum. 

I think Phil could have won a lot more if he had used better course management and backed off a little.  Either by designs to make himself stand out or just his nature, Phil goes for it.  He is a gambler ( he may gamble too much off the course).  Phil is also a tinkerer like Bryson.  People like watching Phil because golf/sports is entertainment and they get a thrill out of some of his amazing shots. 

Bryson stands out as being different with his hit the longest bombs or bust.  He proved he could back it up at the US Open.    I am not sure Bryson's body will be able to handle it long term.  To Phil's credit, he has kept himself injury free and very fit for his age.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, FakeClubPro said:

I think Phil could have won a lot more if he had used better course management and backed off a little.  Either by designs to make himself stand out or just his nature, Phil goes for it.  He is a gambler ( he may gamble too much off the course).  Phil is also a tinkerer like Bryson.  People like watching Phil because golf/sports is entertainment and they get a thrill out of some of his amazing shots. 

Bryson stands out as being different with his hit the longest bombs or bust.  He proved he could back it up at the US Open.    I am not sure Bryson's body will be able to handle it long term.  To Phil's credit, he has kept himself injury free and very fit for his age.

What he may have gained by a different approach could very well mean on balance he may have won less. His career, how it is, is “him”.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2