Anyone hit any 2021 drivers already?

24 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Which LM is that again ? Foresight ?

And IIRC, you're not exactly "down under" :classic_biggrin:, you're at 4000 feet altitude, yes ? 👍

yes, foresight gcquad. 4200 feet.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

3 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

Here's a more pertinent question:  Even if you are updating, what's the incentive to buy the latest iteration when for example the SIM that was selling for $700 in the spring is now discounted down to $450?  Can the SIM2 possibly be that much better to justify paying 50% more than the outgoing model?  If it's just iteratively better than that's a pretty steep premium just to be current!

I agree. I haven't bought a new driver since the TaylorMade burner with bubble shaft... Honestly, I think the real "gains" in newer equipment is upgrading shafts... 

If you have any sort of golf budget, finding the right shaft in a used head probably makes more sense than buying a new head... The only reason I'm ditching my Cobra LTD Pro (assuming the new driver I won works for me) is because I scratched the crown with an  alignment stick and it looks bad. I could PROBABLY get it fixed and very well might. 

I think new drivers are fun and exciting, but definitely not a place where I allocate many resources... I keep an eye on the used market and wanted to get a ST200G but the used marked is insane this year, so I guess I'll check again this time next year!

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

All of a sudden my Mav Max driver feels old and obsolete.🥴 Although, all the flash and promise of more distance and better forgiveness feels rather obsolete to me. If drivers attained these aspects we would all be hitting 330 yds right down the middle. 

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

12 hours ago, 5baytjd said:

So what did you do to, "turn the G400 max into a low spin beast" ?  Inquiring minds (who also game it) want to know.

My first few tests with it were with the standard 9* head but who knows what it actually was. I tried a lot of low low shafts ( hzrdus t1100 6.5, black 6.5, KK DC tx) and it was ok but spin was still too high, didn't love the flight and had a few too many hooks.  So I gave up on it. 

I was one of the TPT shaft testers and went down to Texas get fit by Jon Sinclair. He put a 14 proto in a digitally lofted (8.6) Max. Turned it down to the small minus, got the length (45") and sw (D4) right for me. I had my TM M3 there with me that I was fit into with an Atmos black 80tx tipped 1" and the spin with the Max/TPT was only a little higher, and I could attack and knew it would be in play. No lefts.  My ball speed was down a bit vs. the TM but I'm willing to trade a few yards for more control. 

I've never had a driver in play this long and have tried many times to knock it out. I can count on a small cut and if I get sloppy, push it more than I want, but as a former hooker, this combo has been spectacular. I know I'm leaving a few yards out there but won't change until I find something I trust as much.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

Here's a more pertinent question:  Even if you are updating, what's the incentive to buy the latest iteration when for example the SIM that was selling for $700 in the spring is now discounted down to $450?  Can the SIM2 possibly be that much better to justify paying 50% more than the outgoing model?  If it's just iteratively better than that's a pretty steep premium just to be current!

Edited by goheels11
Dup

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

7 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

When/where was the SIM $700?  Wow!  Was $499 for the max and $549 for sim in my market.  

• Like 1

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

I'm still rocking on my LTD Pro right now. Hopefully moving into a new driver this year. I dont care what it ends up being, I'm just excited that this year is the first time I have felt like I am actually going to gain a benefit for the money that I am spending on the new head. Need something to go with my Tensie AV Proto 2.0 😉

D - Callaway Paradym TD 10.5 @ N/S w/ Mitsubishi Kai'Li Red 60tx

2H - Ping G430 w/ Accra TZ5 90H M5, FLAT

4H - Ping G430 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 95tx

DI - Ping iCrossover 4iron w/ Tensei CK PRO Orange 90tx

5&6 Edel SMS, 7-PW Edel SMS Pro w/ Accra TZi 105

Wedges - Callaway JAWS RAW 52W @ 51, 56W @ 54, 60X @ 60, 60Z @ 62 w/ Accra iSteel Wedge 120, Z Grind Gamer has a BGT ZNE 130 

Grips - SuperStroke S-Tech Cord (White) 2+2 

Putter - My TaylorMade TP Soto w/ Mitsubishi MMT & SuperStroke Tour 3.0 17 @ 38.5" 

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

SuperStroke TXR1000 Rangefinder, Ping Tour Glove, UnderArmour 

30 minutes ago, jmorrow020 said:

I'm still rocking on my LTD Pro right now. Hopefully moving into a new driver this year. I dont care what it ends up being, I'm just excited that this year is the first time I have felt like I am actually going to gain a benefit for the money that I am spending on the new head. Need something to go with my Tensie AV Proto 2.0 😉

That was such a great Head. Good luck on your search this year. Plenty of great choices! Let us know what you get.

8 hours ago, Duffer222 said:

You should be in politics the way you can put spin on data like that!

haha POTUS 2024😉

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

7 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

This is what I keep trying to tell people. When I got away from the "featured shaft" stuff (junk lol) that the fitter had and went to the wall matrix, TSi3 is nuts. It's as long or longer than anything out there ball speed wise, the carry is on par, but it's flatter and longer overall. All the while, it's the best looking driver ever made, the sound is perfect and I've yet to lose one left like days of old.

But here's the rub, and I think this is the caveat of all caveats, and it's followed Titleist around for more than a decade. There's a pretty consistent trend were Titleist drives have the label of slow and spinny, yet get excellent tour usage. And guys have always (incorrectly) written that off to contract dollars. When I was 10 years younger and a foot taller and a little more bullet proof, I got 180 MPH ball speeds out of a 910D3. To boot, it was a great looking driver and sounded awesome. Nothing beat it at the time. Titleist drivers have always been biased towards higher speed, good ball strikers. Thus, the heavy tour use. They've never translated that to average golfers like TM, Cally and the undisputed heavyweight champ in that category, PING. I believe that still holds true today, if perhaps the difference isn't as stark as has been the case in the past. Look at the youtube reviews like Shiels and James Robinson. They're both below that imaginary minimum tour requirement for speed with the driver, and neither of them gave it a very glowing review. Then look at Matty from TXG at 120MPH+ and Big Al. They both absolutely loved it. The same pattern has repeated when I'm at the fitting centre and 100MPH guys try it against SIM or Mavrik or the like. Looks good, sounds great, good on ball speed - but doesn't outshine anything really. Titleist drivers have always performed for high ball speed players and TSi3 is outstanding. I'm sure there are lots of guys that aren't at 115MPH+ that will game it, because it has lots of upside, but I don't believe for a second that this will be the best performer of the year for the masses. Just my 2 cents. 

Outstanding post

appreciated

Low spin and Low Launch

need both huge

12 degree Ping g410 plus currently - works well

Shafts are - Evenflow Blue 65 - 6.0, Copper Xtrosion - S, Ventus Red 60-R

Just for flavour

Tried Mav Max, M6, Sim Max, TS2....all no good

suggestions or thoughts for 2021??

Please

Radspeed has my eye already...as does the frontrunner, G425 Max

8 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

This is what I keep trying to tell people. When I got away from the "featured shaft" stuff (junk lol) that the fitter had and went to the wall matrix, TSi3 is nuts. It's as long or longer than anything out there ball speed wise, the carry is on par, but it's flatter and longer overall. All the while, it's the best looking driver ever made, the sound is perfect and I've yet to lose one left like days of old.

But here's the rub, and I think this is the caveat of all caveats, and it's followed Titleist around for more than a decade. There's a pretty consistent trend were Titleist drives have the label of slow and spinny, yet get excellent tour usage. And guys have always (incorrectly) written that off to contract dollars. When I was 10 years younger and a foot taller and a little more bullet proof, I got 180 MPH ball speeds out of a 910D3. To boot, it was a great looking driver and sounded awesome. Nothing beat it at the time. Titleist drivers have always been biased towards higher speed, good ball strikers. Thus, the heavy tour use. They've never translated that to average golfers like TM, Cally and the undisputed heavyweight champ in that category, PING. I believe that still holds true today, if perhaps the difference isn't as stark as has been the case in the past. Look at the youtube reviews like Shiels and James Robinson. They're both below that imaginary minimum tour requirement for speed with the driver, and neither of them gave it a very glowing review. Then look at Matty from TXG at 120MPH+ and Big Al. They both absolutely loved it. The same pattern has repeated when I'm at the fitting centre and 100MPH guys try it against SIM or Mavrik or the like. Looks good, sounds great, good on ball speed - but doesn't outshine anything really. Titleist drivers have always performed for high ball speed players and TSi3 is outstanding. I'm sure there are lots of guys that aren't at 115MPH+ that will game it, because it has lots of upside, but I don't believe for a second that this will be the best performer of the year for the masses. Just my 2 cents. 

Not sure I follow that.   Who are the high ballspeed tour guys using titleist ?  Fleetwood for a moment.  But he’s gone TM.   And not really a high ballspeed guy.  

some of the free agents I can think of that are fast.  All are TM or ping. One tried callaway for a minute ( Brooks ) and ended up throwing one head into the woods I think ( may have been a sim ?) and went back to an m5.  

Who are we talking about ?  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

9 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Not sure I follow that.   Who are the high ballspeed tour guys using titleist ?  Fleetwood for a moment.  But he’s gone TM.   And not really a high ballspeed guy.  

some of the free agents I can think of that are fast.  All are TM or ping. One tried callaway for a minute ( Brooks ) and ended up throwing one head into the woods I think ( may have been a sim ?) and went back to an m5.  

Pretty much any of the male Titleist  staffers will have ball speeds in the 170 mph + thats what's required to survive on the PGA tour anymore 

the mad bomber was only pointing out that the TSI3 heads where pretty much the same as other OEM's when it comes to the higher swing speed guys .

Edited by alpineto
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

What does this even mean? How would a head be biased towards faster swingers but not work for slower ones?

They have the reputation for being spinny because they have been. Other OEMs don't have guys playing 7.5 loft drivers very often. Titleist guys were always chasing the lowest loft and spin combos possible, because the heads spun a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you are getting access to these drivers prerelease are they fitted with the upcoming stock shafts? Wondering how much of these opinions were are seeing are based more on the shafts than the heads? 

at which point are the heads maxed out and the shafts moving the gains forward? Thinking more for the masses (then those buying upgraded $350 shafts) as companies pull forward their premium shaft tech down into the stock models.

Edited by st626629

32 minutes ago, st626629 said:

If you are getting access to these drivers prerelease are they fitted with the upcoming stock shafts? Wondering how much of these opinions were are seeing are based more on the shafts than the heads? 

at which point are the heads maxed out and the shafts moving the gains forward? Thinking more for the masses (then those buying upgraded $350 shafts) as companies pull forward their premium shaft tech down into the stock models.

The heads have been maxed out for several years now. It’s now all about max  ball speed retention across more of the face, high MOI, high launch and keeping spin low.

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I completely agree with you. 

JT and Adam Scott are the only ones I can think of. Tommy is actually in the TSi3 which gives it some credibility. That said, Titelist has been a 4th place runner for almost a decade. Their sales are in the loyalists and the staff bag carrying wannabes. The fact pro's play the clubs is irrelevant because they're getting paid and also have the ability/fitting to play said clubs. 

I've tried every Titleist driver since the 905 series and all have been 10+ yards shorter than whatever I was playing at the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade Stealth Plus 10.5 - Fujikura Evo II 665 X

Callaway Mavrik SZ 16.5* - Fujikura Speeder Evo V 757 X

4-PW Titleist CNCPT CP02 True Temper Monaco X

46, 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM9 Raw - True Temper Monaco X and S

Taylormade Spider Tour

2 hours ago, alpineto said:

Pretty much any of the male Titleist  staffers will have ball speeds in the 170 mph + thats what's required to survive on the PGA tour anymore 

the mad bomber was only pointing out that the TSI3 heads where pretty much the same as other OEM's when it comes to the higher swing speed guys .

Right.  But those are paid staffers.  Do we have ballspeed numbers from them in other drivers ?  It’s the only way to prove it.  

look.  I’m not down on titleist. Actually the contrary.   I have some speed.  And Im in the camp of “ I am not a huge TM fan , but I can’t beat their driver no matter how hard I try “ ....... and believe me.  I’ve tried.  I’ve bought , borrowed , and demoed every head that’s out in the last month ,  couldn’t do it.  Callaway came close.  Just as fast. But.  The mavrik is draw biased and I just can’t stand the odd double cross it has.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

31 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Right.  But those are paid staffers.  Do we have ballspeed numbers from them in other drivers ?  It’s the only way to prove it.  

look.  I’m not down on titleist. Actually the contrary.   I have some speed.  And Im in the camp of “ I am not a huge TM fan , but I can’t beat their driver no matter how hard I try “ ....... and believe me.  I’ve tried.  I’ve bought , borrowed , and demoed every head that’s out in the last month ,  couldn’t do it.  Callaway came close.  Just as fast. But.  The mavrik is draw biased and I just can’t stand the odd double cross it has.  

Some driver heads  you need to have very fast club head speed to get the most out of them tsi3 included thats why I went with the tsi2 

my swing speed is anywhere from 103 -110 mph , go and watch the TXG video on the tsi3 those guys have put it up against the Simm 

and the Titleist had slightly better ball speed , I think we all know that it comes down to getting fit properly and what suits your eye 

as all of these drivers are maxed out as far MOI goes . 

Also I might add that the tsi3  was the most played driver at the US open and had only been available two weeks before the tournament , thats a big endorsement from players who just don't switch at the drop of a hat and there where a lot of non Titleist players using it .

Edited by alpineto

6 hours ago, alpineto said:

Some driver heads  you need to have very fast club head speed to get the most out of them tsi3 included thats why I went with the tsi2 

my swing speed is anywhere from 103 -110 mph , go and watch the TXG video on the tsi3 those guys have put it up against the Simm 

and the Titleist had slightly better ball speed , I think we all know that it comes down to getting fit properly and what suits your eye 

Also I might add that the tsi3  was the most played driver at the US open and had only been available two weeks before the tournament , thats a big endorsement from players who just don't switch at the drop of a hat and there where a lot of non Titleist players using it .

Fitzpatrick won with it and he's not a high speed guy......I believe aesthetically,  the presentation is so very good.....acoustics are pleasing AND it does have great ball speed retention across the face.....Tour guys play out of the middle for the most part..... 

Not everyone is chasing very high launch with sub 2k spin.....go and watch Cameron Champ.....he flights it very low for control yet still gets it out there miles! 

7 hours ago, alpineto said:

There’s no evidence that some heads magically start working for fast swing speeds 

• Like 1

Fleetwood, Fitzpatrick and Reed have all put it in play, I would say thats a solid endorsement of the TSi3 especially since all three were coming from Taylormade.

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

8 hours ago, alpineto said:

Can you post a link to the Darrel survey that lists that ?  Google won’t pull it up for me.  Best I can see is 2 guys with titleist drivers in the top 20 for the us open.  Webb and Thomas.  And Thomas may have been using the ts3.  Not sure.  

sorry.  But 103-110 isn’t the very fast speed we’re talking about.  And there is simply zero evidence that says that actual very fast speeds favor one driver over another.  Closest driver you can claim that in is the sldr or ts4.  And that’s because of spin reduction.  They reduced spin on a level that required 120 plus to elevate for the low spin.  Or.... loft wayyy up.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

The heads have been maxed out for several years now. It’s now all about max  ball speed retention across more of the face, high MOI, high launch and keeping spin low.

Right so..what percentage of this improvement is happening via the new shaft technology? The increases with the heads seem to be incrementally small - as they don’t have far to go to hit the limits - both physical and per the rules. they can expand the ball speed across the face but a lot of the other stuff I’d think has as much to do with the shafts as the head. Just thinking out loud about this...

Drivers are a massive exercise in marketing (and they are really good at it!) but shaft companies aren’t really the marketing monsters the likes of TM or callaway are. They are sort of just along for the ride...

Edited by st626629