2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Anyone hit any 2021 drivers already?

Using the same shaft as the g410, a Fubuki V 60 stiff, compared to the g410-the g425 is only slightly longer but I have yet to have an opportunity to hit it in warm weather.  I expect it to pick up an additional 5-10 yds. this summer.   At the same loft, slightly higher launch and slightly lower spin.  I don’t have launch monitor numbers.  Just going by ball flight.  I’m not a particularly high spin player.  I don’t think I would want any lower spin than I am getting with this combo.  I don’t think it would fly right.  Can’t give an opinion on run out.  The fairways are too soft.  Seems very forgiving.  Even more than I experienced with the g410.  I have only had a chance to hit with the weight in the center position.  I’ll try other variations when the weather warms.  To my ear the g425 is just a little quieter than the g410.  The main thing I notice is, the tone of the hit is different.  I can’t really describe the difference.  It’s not an unpleasant sound.  Just different.  Really, I don’t think I could ask more from a driver.  Of course, it’s just been 3 rounds.  I hope the honeymoon doesn’t wear off.  Recent snow in my area will most likely keep me off of the course for a least the next two weeks.  Just for the record, my hcp runs between 1 and 6 depending on the time of year.  I usually start the season at about a 6 and work it down to around a 1 by the end of the season.  I’m 69 y.o.  Driver swing speed is around 95 mph.  Swing is on the shorter side but I’ve been told it looks pretty smooth.  Strengths are driving and putting.  Biggest weakness is chipping.  But Monte and the Planemate have really helped improve that area.  If I could get my lazy butt out to work on it a little more it could actually get decent.

Edited by skraly
  • Like 1

Hit the new Titleist tsi3 and Ping G425 Lst today. Brought my G410 lst in to get warm. Titleist is great. Very stable shot profile shot to shot. Really hot ball speed numbers. Waiting for a Nemesys to truly configure this the way I want. 8 degree head launched great, high and low spin. The 425 seemed very low spin compared to my 410. I’d have to go in and try it again but I didn’t expect much of a difference and it was definitely different. The head looks similar but a little more square less open than the 410. The Titleist head looks perfect. Haven’t seen one like this in a while. Picture of a good shot with Titleist and stock shaft. Waiting for a Nemesys and a RDX Blue to try... however this stock RDX black seems good? Lol  DD04F9ED-497A-4C38-9BF9-80D1D11CB166.jpeg.a56a265ab6d34eae692c5aa7be6bc2cb.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, zeke66 said:

Hit the new Titleist tsi3 and Ping G425 Lst today. Brought my G410 lst in to get warm. Titleist is great. Very stable shot profile shot to shot. Really hot ball speed numbers. Waiting for a Nemesys to truly configure this the way I want. 8 degree head launched great, high and low spin. The 425 seemed very low spin compared to my 410. I’d have to go in and try it again but I didn’t expect much of a difference and it was definitely different. The head looks similar but a little more square less open than the 410. The Titleist head looks perfect. Haven’t seen one like this in a while. Picture of a good shot with Titleist and stock shaft. Waiting for a Nemesys and a RDX Blue to try... however this stock RDX black seems good? Lol  DD04F9ED-497A-4C38-9BF9-80D1D11CB166.jpeg.a56a265ab6d34eae692c5aa7be6bc2cb.jpeg

How was the ball speed of the Ping vs the Titleist and I have to agree defiantly low spin 🙂 but super forgiving the PING G425 LST 

Titleist TSR3 9 Ventus Black TR 6X 
Titleist TSR3 15 Tensei Av Raw Orange 75TX 

Callaway UW 19 Tensei AV Raw Blue 85TX
4 - AW Titleist T100s Project X 6.5 

Cleveland RTX Zip Raw, 54, FullFace 58 Project X 6.5 wedge

L.A.B Golf Mezz1 35/71 Garsen Quad Tour
Titleist Pro V1 2023

On 12/7/2020 at 10:45 AM, Myherobobhope said:

Maybe? I think we are headed toward a singularity where drivers are pretty much optimized and it’s just what fits your swing and eye... I don’t see any major leaps in technology this year that will massively set one driver apart from everything else.

that’s not to say they aren’t better than last year, just marginally so. I do think there will be lots of great options this year, but anyone who bought a 2020 driver will probably be ok not upgrading.

I don’t know about a singularity per se,  perhaps in each niche there will be little separation. 

The high MOI niche, the low spin niche, the lowest launch niche, the high launch niche......etc! 

If you hit optimum numbers with your current driver, why change? 

How can I squeeze another yard out of my gamer?  I guess I could get a longer shaft, since I play mine at 44.25, but at 45.25 I tend to not find the sweet spot as often, so on average I lose distance an accuracy. 

This pic below is dang near optimum for my swing speed. It’s with my G410 LST at 44.25” with 18 grams of headweight in a Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX shaft.  My highest ball speed was 168 with this driver, but 165mph seems to be my average. The SIM I hit was 1mph faster, not average, but total. 165 mph was the high on the G410 that day and 166mph was the SIM high, same session with an inch plus longer shaft in the SIM. 

Once you optimize your conditions, there is no place to go for gains other than lessons and overspeed training! 

I would be very surprised to see anyone gain more than 1 yard from 2020-2021 if they took the time to optimize the 2020 model vs the 2021 model in my opinion.

I found the right shaft and headweight combo and focused on strike location after using Howard’s DIY fine tuning guide for the driver. My ball speed is generally between 164-166mph, my launch is between 15* and 16* and my spin fluctuates between 1750-1900rpms generally and my path is very straight/neutral.  In all honesty I’m not finding another yard without over speed training , regardless what these manufacturers claim ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

D7FB2C7D-F776-4695-9472-F08EEFE97B2D.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I don’t know about a singularity per se,  perhaps in each niche there will be little separation. 

The high MOI niche, the low spin niche, the lowest launch niche, the high launch niche......etc! 

If you hit optimum numbers with your current driver, why change? 

How can I squeeze another yard out of my gamer?  I guess I could get a longer shaft, since I play mine at 44.25, but at 45.25 I tend to not find the sweet spot as often, so on average I lose distance an accuracy. 

This pic below is dang near optimum for my swing speed. It’s with my G410 LST at 44.25” with 18 grams of headweight in a Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX shaft.  My highest ball speed was 168 with this driver, but 165mph seems to be my average. The SIM I hit was 1mph faster, not average, but total. 165 mph was the high on the G410 that day and 166mph was the SIM high, same session with an inch plus longer shaft in the SIM. 

Once you optimize your conditions, there is no place to go for gains other than lessons and overspeed training! 

I would be very surprised to see anyone gain more than 1 yard from 2020-2021 if they took the time to optimize the 2020 model vs the 2021 model in my opinion.

I found the right shaft and headweight combo and focused on strike location after using Howard’s DIY fine tuning guide for the driver. My ball speed is generally between 164-166mph, my launch is between 15* and 16* and my spin fluctuates between 1750-1900rpms generally and my path is very straight/neutral.  In all honesty I’m not finding another yard without over speed training , regardless what these manufacturers claim ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

D7FB2C7D-F776-4695-9472-F08EEFE97B2D.jpeg

i would disagree. Your numbers are optimized for launch monitor, not on course. 1700-1900 spin is not ideal. 
Even hitting a bit of a spinner, TM has me right in optimal for on course at 2500 spin at 167-169BS

Edited by J-Zone

38 minutes ago, J-Zone said:

i would disagree. Your numbers are optimized for launch monitor, not on course. 1700-1900 spin is not ideal. 
Even hitting a bit of a spinner here, TM has me right in optimal for on course at 2500 spin at 167-169BS

His name is driving range hero... what else did you expect? 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I’m waiting for the new Callaway and Cobra drivers to release.  Would like to compare the Epic Speed, RadSpeed and the Titleist TSi3.  The shape of the Epic Speed head from the bottom looks like it’ll sit pretty good behind the ball.  

Edited by Drewhill44

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9*- Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 60 X-Stiff

Fairway Woods: Titleist TSR3 15* Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 70 X-Stiff

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.8 X-Stiff

Irons: Titleist T100(2019) 3, 5-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50* KBS C-Taper 130X, 54* & 58* KBS 610 Wedge 125.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #10 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1(2023)

On 1/2/2021 at 2:27 PM, 5baytjd said:

Probably in the 5 to 7 year range you're going to see some fairly decent differences (depending on swing dynamics of course). 

I went for driver fittings at PXG and Ping this past year, and neither could come up with any head/shaft combo to unseat my G400Max gamer.  That's getting to be 3 years old now, so I'm right there with ya.

GMax was and is such a great stick.  Almost impossible to beat if it fits you

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Does anyone know the embargo expiration dates for TM/Callaway/Ping? Really anxious to see some write ups and video reviews on these, as great as the feedback is in this thread! 

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

2 hours ago, arenapoutine said:

Does anyone know the embargo expiration dates for TM/Callaway/Ping? Really anxious to see some write ups and video reviews on these, as great as the feedback is in this thread! 

Check YT for videos, as the guys based in Australia (where it is their summer) have had their hands on the new stuff already (different embargo dates).

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

3 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

His name is driving range hero... what else did you expect? 😂

This is true 😝 👍

I don’t get out much with 2 kids age 3 and 1, not to mention working 6 days a week. 

Truth be told, I have my 9* G410 lst lofted down to 7.5* but when I go out and play I generally play it at 8* on flat with a higher spinning ball.  The ball I hit was an abused Taylormade TP5x at Dicks on the GC2. The only time I have ever brought my own balls was for a fitting at a PGASS, since they have some sort of Precept range balls. I play a Bridgestone BXS, so touché 😂 

2 hours ago, 5baytjd said:

Check YT for videos, as the guys based in Australia (where it is their summer) have had their hands on the new stuff already (different embargo dates).

For sure, I've seen a handful but looking forward to the North America embargos expiring for the likes of MGS, TXG, etc. There's definitely some good stuff out there though, Alex Etches' G425 review was great. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

2 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

This is true 😝👍

I don’t get out much with 2 kids age 3 and 1, not to mention working 6 days a week. 

Truth be told, I have my 9* G410 lst lofted down to 7.5* but when I go out and play I generally play it at 8* on flat with a higher spinning ball.  The ball I hit was an abused Taylormade TP5x at Dicks on the GC2. The only time I have ever brought my own balls was for a fitting at a PGASS, since they have some sort of Precept range balls. I play a Bridgestone BXS, so touché 😂 

Been there my friend... I’m on a neighborhood course, and was playing one Saturday (6 years ago) and my wife was home, pregnant, with a screaming toddler... she called me on the 13th hole, which happens to be very close to my house.

I took my bag off the cart, left my group, cut through my dentists backyard (he offered me a beer, I told him

it wasn’t the time) and we put our membership on hold for 4 years...

kids are 5 and 7 now... and I have time to get out... grind through the young ages, take care of the family and golf will be waiting for you!

Edited by Myherobobhope
  • Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

If you had a driver with TM's twist face, with Callway's great ballspeed all over the face, with Ping Max forgiveness, that would be the best driver.

• Haha 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

On 12/7/2020 at 9:57 AM, QuigleyDU said:

I think this is the "leap" year for drivers. I think everyone will be better this year. Based on what I have seen, I think each OEM is offering something different. 

The SIM2 is much different from the SIM. The Epic has some big changes. Srixon and Mizuno are pushing hard to be considered. Cobra going for low spin on the RAD. No info on the ping but Ping always takes steps forward even if it is small. 

What is the "leap" you describe?  distance? 

Its all marketing.....i literally still hit my 910D3 the same distance as my SIM.......

What do you mean by leap and how is the SIM much diffeent than the SIM?

6 minutes ago, tsecor said:

Its all marketing.....i literally still hit my 910D3 the same distance as my SIM.......

They are all really pushing the envelope in R&D, construction and design. Similar center strikes you may get similar distances. But you hit it anywhere else and these new drivers will be way better.

how much better than last year? Hard to say. 

it’s funny I was hitting the 910 just a couple days ago and it was much shorter..

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 12/27/2020 at 6:17 PM, Howie said:

Same here. Was using a SIM all season until the Mavrik SZ offered 3MPH faster ball speed (same shaft in both).

More importantly for me was the accuracy I obtained with SZ as well.  Much improved over F9 I tried to get along with for a while.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

24 minutes ago, tsecor said:

Driver heads have greatly improved over the past few years. More consistent numbers across the face have allowed players to experiment with longer shafts. Improvements in shaft technology can’t be overlooked as well. Currently combined AV Raw 2.0 with Mavrik SZ 440 to get numbers close to 4 Benjamin’s.

17 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

They are all really pushing the envelope in R&D, construction and design. Similar center strikes you may get similar distances. But you hit it anywhere else and these new drivers will be way better.

how much better than last year? Hard to say

it’s funny I was hitting the 910 just a couple days ago and it was much shorter..

:classic_laugh:

Make up my mind, will ya ? :classic_tongue:

But you kinda sorta explained it. You hit the 910 "much shorter", another guy hit's it "the same".

In the simulator there are always questions. On the course there are ALWAYS questions. and the latter is where most of us truly evaluate our clubs.

But on the course we've got wind coming from all different directions, soft ground, hard ground. We hit into upslopes and downslopes. We'll hit a firm spot in an otherwise soft fairway and get a big kick forward.

And the differences in the last 15 years or so, at least on center hits, is pretty much the same; certainly so small as to bring all those different course conditions into play even when we don't realize it.

Point being all of our on course evaluations are anecdotal at best.

Now I have no doubt the manufacturers can give us all sorts of test results and scientific terms to tell us how much more forgiving these drivers are but practically speaking we simply can't tell.

It's like every CB vs blade debate. The CB player will tell you "I can't tell you how many strokes my CBs saved me but I know they do".

Early on, when I first bought my Epic Flash SZ I carried the ball right around 235 MAX. Downwind maybe 250. A par 5 we played a lot had water ending right at 230. We scrambled a lot and if a teammate had a ball in play I'd give it a go.

Admittedly, with wind behind me, I almost MISSED the ball. Hit it so far to the toe, had it been another 1/2 inch to the toe it would've gone sideways,,,,,,,,, and it CARRIED 235. Couldn't believe it. Took a picture of it. And this is proof of what exactly ?

Yup. Not much. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :classic_cool:

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

25 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

:classic_laugh:

Make up my mind, will ya ? :classic_tongue:

But you kinda sorta explained it. You hit the 910 "much shorter", another guy hit's it "the same".

In the simulator there are always questions. On the course there are ALWAYS questions. and the latter is where most of us truly evaluate our clubs.

But on the course we've got wind coming from all different directions, soft ground, hard ground. We hit into upslopes and downslopes. We'll hit a firm spot in an otherwise soft fairway and get a big kick forward.

And the differences in the last 15 years or so, at least on center hits, is pretty much the same; certainly so small as to bring all those different course conditions into play even when we don't realize it.

Point being all of our on course evaluations are anecdotal at best.

Now I have no doubt the manufacturers can give us all sorts of test results and scientific terms to tell us how much more forgiving these drivers are but practically speaking we simply can't tell.

It's like every CB vs blade debate. The CB player will tell you "I can't tell you how many strokes my CBs saved me but I know they do".

Early on, when I first bought my Epic Flash SZ I carried the ball right around 235 MAX. Downwind maybe 250. A par 5 we played a lot had water ending right at 230. We scrambled a lot and if a teammate had a ball in play I'd give it a go.

Admittedly, with wind behind me, I almost MISSED the ball. Hit it so far to the toe, had it been another 1/2 inch to the toe it would've gone sideways,,,,,,,,, and it CARRIED 235. Couldn't believe it. Took a picture of it. And this is proof of what exactly ?

Yup. Not much. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :classic_cool:

Ha!! Working on my political career and speaking out of both sides of my mouth. Lol.

Sorry. I was trying to say. It will be wag better than his 910 but compared to last years models verdict is still out. But I think it will be better. Speaking specifically to off center hits. Though I think you will see marginal increase ok center strikes as well.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 1/13/2021 at 11:06 AM, QuigleyDU said:

how much better than last year? Hard to say. 

what does "WAY BETTER" mean?  u mean for you? or u just like it better??? The results off the tee for me are pretty much the same...

and IMO the current "envelope" is pushed as far as it can go.... id like to see a dual face driver....two walls to the driver face...much like a DiMarini softball bat with 2 walls that creats a huge spring like effect off the bat......

Edited by tsecor

26 minutes ago, tsecor said:

what does "WAY BETTER" mean?  u mean for you? or u just like it better??? The results off the tee for me are pretty much the same...

and IMO the current "envelope" is pushed as far as it can go.... id like to see a dual face driver....two walls to the driver face...much like a DiMarini softball bat with 2 walls that creats a huge spring like effect off the bat......

Sounds like it would be a bit illegal, they aren't allowed to make them any faster than they are. Would be cool to see how far you could make it go though

Hit them this weekend, and here’s my subjective rankings, heads were all set to as close to 10* as possible and Rogue White used for 3/5 heads and then RDX Black for the TSI3 and 2.0 SIM:

Performance
TSi3
Max LS
2.0 Standard
425 LST

425Max

Feel
Max LS
TSI3 
425 LST

2.0 Standard

425Max

Sound
Max LS
TSI3
2.0 Standard
425 LST

425Max

Spin

Max LS
2.0 Standard
425 LST

425Max
TSI3

Will end up in a TSI3 to start the season and/or possible Max LS.

Edited by J-Zone