Big Cedar Lodge

I have not stayed at big cedar, so I cannot speak to the accommodations.   However, my group made two trips there this year.  You will love it.  

Must play courses are Ozarks National and Payne’s Valley.  The views and course conditions are impeccable.  That said, my favorite course there is Buffalo Ridge.  

I really enjoy the par 3 Mountaintop but the greens there can get out of hand.  For example, the closing hole #13 is 120y uphill with a false front. When we played the hole was right on the edge of the false front and if you rolled it by by more than a foot it would roll about 50y down the hill.  

Branson Hills, not affiliated with Big Cedar, is an excellent course as well.  In fact, our group plans to prioritize it over ON in future visits.  

027BD5F5-DE32-4152-80D2-ED745445C3C6.jpeg

D7C3E89D-0BD7-4471-8793-4C08CBCE4B50.jpeg

D50C8CB4-40B7-48DD-A06C-070DE62B8DBD.jpeg

Edited by Bemis08
  • Like 1

Family just went in November, played Buffalo Ridge.  While it wasn't green, just a great course, the layout is awesome, the views are awesome, the staff was nicer than can be.

If you go get the camo cart, its so awesome.  Also if its in budget get a cabin there to stay in.

Loved it so much, heading back with my parents first week of March.

My wife and I went there in early last October, but it was not a stay and play package as we only rented a cabin and then I played by myself.  We stayed offsite at the campsite and rented a small cabin which we thought was wonderful and loved. I only played mountaintop and Ozark national and loved both of them. Based on our stay, we are going back next year and will stay in a cabin again and I will play all three courses this time.

I for one loved playing Ozark national and the mountaintop course. While playing the mountaintop I was able to see the Paynes Valley Course and think that it looked very nice and can’t wait to play.  The only downside I would say about Ozark national is it was very slow, probably close to a five hour round for sure.  

It is very nice and they take real good care of you.  If you stay at the campsite, They will come pick you up and shuttle you to any of the golf courses or to any of the big Cedar Lodge attractions for free.  Last note is I believe it is pretty expensive for any of the attractions or golf, so be prepared to pay some money. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bankkur74 said:

My wife and I went there in early last October, but it was not a stay and play package as we only rented a cabin and then I played by myself.  We stayed offsite at the campsite and rented a small cabin which we thought was wonderful and loved. I only played mountaintop and Ozark national and loved both of them. Based on our stay, we are going back next year and will stay in a cabin again and I will play all three courses this time.

I for one loved playing Ozark national and the mountaintop course. While playing the mountaintop I was able to see the Paynes Valley Course and think that it looked very nice and can’t wait to play.  The only downside I would say about Ozark national is it was very slow, probably close to a five hour round for sure.  

It is very nice and they take real good care of you.  If you stay at the campsite, They will come pick you up and shuttle you to any of the golf courses or to any of the big Cedar Lodge attractions for free.  Last note is I believe it is pretty expensive for any of the attractions or golf, so be prepared to pay some money. 

He is correct it can get pricey, we only went for two nights so wasnt really 'budgeting' figured go all out for two nights and then get outta there lol.

The main expense was the meals, probably $350 or so for my wife, me and our 3 yr old (who barely eats) at Buffalo Bar and Devils Pool.  However, thats another reason to rent a cabin, I think they all have grills and normal size fridge/freezer that you can bring some stuff to make for lunch and save a few bucks.

Prices there are kind of weird, we did the golf cart tour and a beer and seltzer were like 10 bucks...not bad.  The gift shop my wife got a wine glass for like 7, not bad, a beer pint glass was 21...wtf!  6 pack of beer at Buffalo Ridge when you rent the camo cart is $20...not terrible for a golf course esp at Big Cedar.

I think in our two days/nights there we spent about $800 on activities, golf, food, drink but we were going non-stop.  Did bowling and arcade with little one, golf with the camo cart was $175, two meals were like $350, golf cart tour (WHICH IS A MUST) was like $75.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 9:40 AM, nlinneman20 said:

He is correct it can get pricey, we only went for two nights so wasnt really 'budgeting' figured go all out for two nights and then get outta there lol.

The main expense was the meals, probably $350 or so for my wife, me and our 3 yr old (who barely eats) at Buffalo Bar and Devils Pool.  However, thats another reason to rent a cabin, I think they all have grills and normal size fridge/freezer that you can bring some stuff to make for lunch and save a few bucks.

Prices there are kind of weird, we did the golf cart tour and a beer and seltzer were like 10 bucks...not bad.  The gift shop my wife got a wine glass for like 7, not bad, a beer pint glass was 21...wtf!  6 pack of beer at Buffalo Ridge when you rent the camo cart is $20...not terrible for a golf course esp at Big Cedar.

I think in our two days/nights there we spent about $800 on activities, golf, food, drink but we were going non-stop.  Did bowling and arcade with little one, golf with the camo cart was $175, two meals were like $350, golf cart tour (WHICH IS A MUST) was like $75.

Man I have looked into Big Cedar a couple of times and it always seems crazy expensive for what it is. Some of their stuff I just don't even understand - a cover charge for some of the restaurants? 

Seems like I could play pebble for how much a Big Cedar trip would end up costing...

• Haha 1

Callaway Rogue, AD-TP 6S
Callaway Epic Flash 3W        
Titleist U500, Tensei White 90 S
Miura Y Grind, Nippon Modus3 120S
Vokey SM7 52, 56 Callaway PM 60
Artisan 0217, Customer #62

I’m about 30 minutes from the property so don’t normally stay there although we did do a small get away a few weeks ago just to get out of the house.  Like others have mentioned be prepared to spend some money as most restaurants are pretty expensive.

Paynes is closed for the winter but hoping pace of play is better when it reopens in the spring.  They had back to back tee times every day since it opened and everyone was playing the “tiger tees” so it was always backed up.

Top of the Rock is worth playing once but because of the cost I would only recommend playing it once.  All the other courses are worth playing multiple times.

• Like 1

They 

6 hours ago, ND2005 said:

Man I have looked into Big Cedar a couple of times and it always seems crazy expensive for what it is. Some of their stuff I just don't even understand - a cover charge for some of the restaurants? 

Seems like I could play pebble for how much a Big Cedar trip would end up costing...

They have a cover charge to spend big money at dinner?? I don't think I have seen that one before. I would rather them just have a $10.00 resort fee or whatever fee to cover it.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: T.B.D.

LW: T.B.D. 

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

2 minutes ago, krtgolfing said:

I would rather them just have a $10.00 resort fee or whatever fee to cover it.

Tomato, tohmatoh

Their website just says "$10 ENTRY FEE APPLIES – CARD ONLY" 

Callaway Rogue, AD-TP 6S
Callaway Epic Flash 3W        

34 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

Tomato, tohmatoh

Their website just says "$10 ENTRY FEE APPLIES – CARD ONLY" 

$10 entry fee for dinner...🤣

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: T.B.D.

LW: T.B.D. 

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Everyone talking about the entry fee is wrong.  If you stay at the resort it's free to visit 'Top of the Rock' which is where the par 3 course is, a couple restaurants and the golf cart tour.

They charge people who aren't staying there $10 and its not to get into the restaurant, its to get to 'top of the rock' which has a variety of activities.  Likewise I believe if you are an 'outsider' you pay 10 but get a 5 dollar credit at any of the facilities there so its really 5 bucks.  Also its $10 per car, not per person.

The $10 is actually nice if you are staying there, probably keeps 'outside' crowds down a bit and deter people who just want to go there for 10 mins, look around, and leave.

Edited by nlinneman20
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, ND2005 said:

See my post about the entry fee.

Likewise if you are within driving distance, they have (or had) a huge sale if you stay between Jan 2 and March 6.  I know its not ideal time but you could luck out with some decent weather and worst case, see everything for significantly cheaper than peak times and then if you love it return when prices increase during better weather.

To give you an ideal on the price difference....in November we paid $800 for two nights in a 1 room cabin.  It had a king bed and pull out sofa.  3 yr old slept on the sofa, the place was AWESOME, I think the price was worth it.

However during this sale, my parents and siblings are coming with, we got a 2bed/2bth 2 floor cabin for $900 for 3 nights.  The cabin has a 2 king beds, a queen and a pullout sofa.  We are going March 2-5 I think, we could luck into some nice weather...hoping worst case is its in the 50s or so

Top of Rock and Big Cedar Lodge area are separate from Buffalo Ridge, Ozark National, Mountain Top & Payne's Valley by several miles. There are two entry gates at Top of Rock, left gates goes to Big Cedar Lodge and right gates goes to Top of Rock course, cave tour and those "$10 entry fee" restaurants. The right gate to Top of Rock complex charges $10 to enter, early birds get $5 voucher but only time I went there was to play Top of Rock course in Missouri State Par 3 Team Championship last two years. I didn't have to pay the $10 to enter the gates as I was the entrant. I did not have a chance to eat but will next time.

I agree with tim_harris, one trip around Top of Rock is all it's needed. Play the other courses often. I really enjoyed playing Mountain Top, 13 hole par 3 walking only course, some short holes mixed with some pretty difficult holes. Conditioning are superb.

Edited; I see nlinneman20 posted while I was composing my post. He is correct as I missed few details.

Edited by br61
  • Like 1

Bag of Hackin' Utensils 

TM SIM2 Max 9 XC-6 stiff

TM SIM2 Max 16.5

TM SIM2 Rescue 19.5 GD IZ HY-85 stiff

TM DHY 4 & 5 stiff

TM P770 6-PW DG 120 X100 SS

MG2 50*SB, 54* SB & 58* HB

2Ball 45" putter

1 hour ago, nlinneman20 said:

Everyone talking about the entry fee is wrong.  If you stay at the resort it's free to visit 'Top of the Rock' which is where the par 3 course is, a couple restaurants and the golf cart tour.

They charge people who aren't staying there $10 and its not to get into the restaurant, its to get to 'top of the rock' which has a variety of activities.  Likewise I believe if you are an 'outsider' you pay 10 but get a 5 dollar credit at any of the facilities there so its really 5 bucks.  Also its $10 per car, not per person.

The $10 is actually nice if you are staying there, probably keeps 'outside' crowds down a bit and deter people who just want to go there for 10 mins, look around, and leave.

that makes sense thanks. 

Callaway Rogue, AD-TP 6S
Callaway Epic Flash 3W        

Only piece I’ll add on the $10 charge.

If you are staying at the lodge you can ride the shuttle from there to Top of Rock for free.  It runs every 30 minutes I think it was.  Since I had my son with me we decided to drive our own vehicle from the lodge up to top of the rock and had to pay...in the grand scheme of things $10 is nothing when you consider the room, restaurants, etc...

Edited by tim_harris

My wife and I stayed in Branson a couple of years ago for a time-share preview.

We went up to Big Cedar Lodge and spent the day there. Golf is only part of the great layout. Site developer Johnny Morris owns Bass Pro Shop empire. Besides outdoor sports, Morris is a natural history buff and has worked with a number of Native American tribes on historic preservation.

Beneath the lodge he has a massive underground museum. Part of it is has western heritage displays, and the other part has reconstructions of prehistoric animals that once roamed the Missouri and Ozark region. Some of the prehistoric bears stood 18 feet tall. Don't be scared, the giant bear in the museum is stuffed, not alive.

The lodge's Top of the Rock 9-hole course had a weeklong backlog, so we just watched others play as we at lunch at the lodge. Plenty of lodging options in the Big Cedar complex.

Also, a couple of less fancy but excellent courses you can plan in Branson zone:

image.png.5577073e069dac7e61c98e00be815036.png

• Thousand Hills. An hilly, interesting executive course with nine par 3 holes that plays to par 64. Great way to get in shape for par 3s.
  • Pointe Royale Golf Resort. Par 70 golf course with interesting rise and fall that challenges your shotmaking. On No. 10, don't play it safe. Hit a draw to left of fairway bunker to get flat lie for short wedge. 

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Looks like a great place, but that's just stupid money to stay and play there. $3k for a weekend??? I can go to Bandon, Pebble, St. Andrews, or Ireland for a week and spend the same.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Aldila NVS 85 Reg
PXG Gen 3 0311XP 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Reg

Ping Tour-S Raw 56* @ 55, 60* KBS Tour 90 Wrx combo grind
Evnroll ER8 33”

On 1/12/2021 at 10:11 PM, hammergolf said:

Looks like a great place, but that's just stupid money to stay and play there. $3k for a weekend??? I can go to Bandon, Pebble, St. Andrews, or Ireland for a week and spend the same.

For two adults? Doubt it, that includes 5 rounds of golf (for each adult, 10 total) AND the package I looked at was in May, Fri-Sun, in a private cabin.  Are you accounting for a private cabin at these places or a regular hotel room?

39 minutes ago, nlinneman20 said:

For two adults? Doubt it, that includes 5 rounds of golf (for each adult, 10 total) AND the package I looked at was in May, Fri-Sun, in a private cabin.  Are you accounting for a private cabin at these places or a regular hotel room?

For a June weekend, the Champions Package (1 round on each course including top of the rock) is $2850 for two adults in a regular lodge room. 

Callaway Rogue, AD-TP 6S
Callaway Epic Flash 3W        

21 hours ago, ND2005 said:

For a June weekend, the Champions Package (1 round on each course including top of the rock) is $2850 for two adults in a regular lodge room. 

And randomly looking at Pebble, a round is $600 per person, rooms say they start at 990/night.  Cant get actual pricing, I guess they have to call you.

Bandon a little cheaper, depending on where you stay at the resort.

Now we can argue all day on what we'd rather play but the fact of the matter is, Big Cedar's resort is amazing on its own and the courses are becoming the premier 'resort/public' courses of the area/midwest.  Some people would rather have the 'wilderness/outdoor' feel vs the 'beach/ocean/west coast' vibes.  Big Cedar also has the water sport aspect with Table Rock lake being right there.

Yes its expensive, but you get what you pay for believe me, I'm pretty cheap esp when it comes to looking for lodging (I never spend time in my room so why pay a ton) but our trip to Big Cedar was worth it then some, hence why we are going back in a month

• 1 month later...

Just booked our stay for June.  Half the group is onsite and half is offsite at a nearby airbnb.  We're scheduled to play the three 18 hole courses and we're looking for one more.  Would everyone that's been there recommend a par 3 course, Branson Hills, Point Royale, Thousand Hills, or replaying one of the 3 big courses?  This would be our second round on the day we play Buffalo Ridge.

12 hours ago, icegator337 said:

Just booked our stay for June.  Half the group is onsite and half is offsite at a nearby airbnb.  We're scheduled to play the three 18 hole courses and we're looking for one more.  Would everyone that's been there recommend a par 3 course, Branson Hills, Point Royale, Thousand Hills, or replaying one of the 3 big courses?  This would be our second round on the day we play Buffalo Ridge.

My recommendation would be to go from Buffalo Ridge Springs to the 13-hole Mountain Top par-3 course. It's wonderful and should not be missed during a trip to Big Cedar. I actually give it a slight edge over Top of the Rock.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

TM M3 10.5* - UST V2
Srixon Z F65 15* & 19*
TM V-Steel 21*
Titleist 710 MB 4-PW
Cleveland RTX-3 52* and 58*
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

On 2/26/2021 at 8:23 AM, icegator337 said:

Tim_Gavrick is correct. I played Mountain Top for 1st time in last summer's Missouri Par 3 Team tournament and really enjoyed that course. It's walking only but they have plenty of push carts available.

I actually prefer it over Top of Rock course which is still a beautiful course but pricy. If your group still want to play a 18 hole course, I'd look into Branson Hills but I haven't played there since 2013(Missouri Sr 4-Ball tourney). It can be a difficult course. I never cared for Pointe Royale.

Bag of Hackin' Utensils 

TM SIM2 Max 9 XC-6 stiff

TM SIM2 Max 16.5

TM SIM2 Rescue 19.5 GD IZ HY-85 stiff

TM DHY 4 & 5 stiff

TM P770 6-PW DG 120 X100 SS

MG2 50*SB, 54* SB & 58* HB

2Ball 45" putter