2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ultimate One Length Thread 2020

ben7e

What one length clubs has everyone played? What is your favorite? Why? Show us some pictures!

I have been trying out a few demo clubs but don't have a set yet but I am planning to make the move and play them moving forward.

I have tried the Pinhawk, Sterling, and new Wishon EQ1-NX in only the 7i. I really think all 3 are nice clubs. I am most interested in the EQ1-NX as it seems like the most well thought out through the set but the Pinhawk is really a nice feeling club as well.

I have seen some Edel sets go for very reasonable prices on eBay lately as well.

I have also been curious about the Cobra Forged Tec offerings. Specifically, has anyone compared the older Forged Tec Black One with the new Forged Tec One hollow/filled design?

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra SZ 9*

4 Wood: Wishon EQ1-NX

4/5 Hybrids: Wishon EQ1-NX

5-GW: Sub 70 659 CB DG 105

56/60: TaylorMade Milled Grind

Putter: Edel E-3

From a pure performance perspective the EQ1-NX are the best in class far and away.

The look and feel of some of the others may have some appeal, but for getting the system to work for you the EQ1-NX is a better design for those that use the SL concept.

Springface, cg location, sole design, size/forgivness are superior.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

9 minutes ago, TKS said:

From a pure performance perspective the EQ1-NX are the best in class far and away.

The look and feel of some of the others may have some appeal, but for getting the system to work for you the EQ1-NX is a better design for those that use the SL concept.

Looks like current my plan for my bag is pretty similar to what you have going on except shafts.

I loved the 5 hybrid I tried so I was going to go 4 Hybrid, 5-SW and then was debating if I should get a Cobra One Lob wedge or just a standard one from another brand (perhaps even a Wishon).

I also am going with a 4 wood so really very close to what you have going on. 

Haven’t played Cobra Forged Tec Blacks but I played the F7 One Lengths for 2 years before deciding to take the plunge and build a set of 2020 Forged Tec Ones.  

I have a SkyTrak in my garage and I can tell you I noticed a 1 to 1.5 mph higher ball speed with the 2020 heads.  Maybe 1/2 a club gain at best for me but the two sets of mine have different shafts, significantly different total club weight and swing weights so it’s not truly a fair comparison.  

I played the F7’s at stock configuration with the TT 105 or 107 gram shaft and feel wise they have a much softer marsh mellow type feel on center of face contact.  

My 2020 Forged Tecs I built with PX LZ 5.0 shafts and they feel pretty crisp and pure on center of face contact compared to the F7 marsh mellows.  When I bought the clubs they had Nippon Modus3 120 stiffs in the heads and IMO the feel was even better with those shafts but i noticed some ballooning in garage on the launch monitor I didn’t like.  I wanted to build the clubs to completely different specs anyway so I tore them Nippon's out and replaced with the PX LZ’s.  

I’m no shaft guru and I’m not convinced the LZ’s are the right shaft for me but I do know swinging either a heavier total weight club or the D8 to D9 SW definitely improved my feel of the club and head throughout the swing.  HC dropped from 15 to 11.7 in 2020 too so I made a positive change for sure.  

To add some confusion, I did a test build for a buddy using his F7 One 5i head and swapped a TT 105 for a Recoil ZT9 F2.  I was consistently killing it a full club plus longer than my 2020 Forged Tec One 5i and I was getting a very nice baby draw.  Now I’m wonder if I should have built the 2020’s as light as possible but just swing weighted them heavy.  I foresee some more tinkering in my future.

I’ve rocked F7 since they came out.

Before that I grinded a set of Cleveland’s myself (Before I knew who Deschambeau was) I think there is a thread here with me massacring a beautiful set of clubs haha.

next year I will likely upgrade to a newer set.

I won’t switch now. Firmly a one length player. 1.2 cap.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TKS said:

Laughs in Edel SLS-01 Irons.

I have hit a bunch and even made a bunch before anything was available..and the Edel irons when fitted to your swing are still better than anything else anyone makes.

They are not cheap, but golf is not a game for poors.

Edited by OsnolaKinnard
  • Confused 1

On 12/6/2020 at 9:16 AM, ben7e said:

What one length clubs has everyone played? What is your favorite? Why? Show us some pictures!

I have been trying out a few demo clubs but don't have a set yet but I am planning to make the move and play them moving forward.

I have tried the Pinhawk, Sterling, and new Wishon EQ1-NX in only the 7i. I really think all 3 are nice clubs. I am most interested in the EQ1-NX as it seems like the most well thought out through the set but the Pinhawk is really a nice feeling club as well.

I have seen some Edel sets go for very reasonable prices on eBay lately as well.

I have also been curious about the Cobra Forged Tec offerings. Specifically, has anyone compared the older Forged Tec Black One with the new Forged Tec One hollow/filled design?

FYI buying someone else's edel irons is like buying another man's tailored suit.  It may look good but it was never made for you. 

To get the most out of the Edel irons you really need to get your own fitting done.

48 minutes ago, OsnolaKinnard said:

FYI buying someone else's edel irons is like buying another man's tailored suit.  It may look good but it was never made for you. 

To get the most out of the Edel irons you really need to get your own fitting done.

This is why I am not too upset I didn't win the auction. However, they went for $560 which is slightly more than the price of 2 new clubs from Edel so I probably could have taken them to a fitting, got new shafts and grips, and still come out in decent shape. That being said, the Wishon's seem to really have a lot figured out and are more affordable while still being customizable and there is a builder near me that works with them.

• Like 2

What I like about the Wishon EQ1-NX irons is the ability to add so much head weight if needed to play short lengths.  Same goes for set of Wishon 575MMC I built for my son.  Other than a typical tip weight, the bottom of the hosel has its own additional weight port that can accommodate up to a 9g tungsten weight.  The EQ1-NX hybrids and fairways also have additional sole weight ports for even more weight -> it's crazy how much weight you can add to these.  I built my EQ1-NX 15* 3-wood to 41.5" and it performed really well. The hybrids and fairways can also be bent at the hosel.  Great stuff Mr. Wishon ! 👍

• Like 2

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrids  |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

13 hours ago, boggyman said:

Golf is a game for anyone, rich or poor. Young or old!Why would you say that. Saw a guy come in few days ago n rent some clubs so he and his prolly 6 year old son could bond together. Golf is like any other sport. It costs what you want to spend. Yes there’s top tier courses just as there’s bottom dollar courses. Work with a Chief you said that about drag racing. He knew he was outta “his” league n finally started racing within his realm, not against folks that he said after asking,found that most owned some kinda business. FWIW he’s a chief engineer and good one at that. It’s all in what you want to put into it. Sorry if I thread jacked, but you brought it up. 

Saying "the poors" is a tongue and cheek jab at something that costs alot...and is not actually a rip on people with less.

I apologize as some things are lost in translation. 

My other hobby is shooting and like golf can be very "gear centric" and we all joke about how certain brands are "for poors" when the reality is we all started off with them.

For example..a friend buys a new TM SIM with a very expensive upgraded shaft, I might say to him.."I will go be poor over here" and make fun of both of us.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ARL67 said:

What I like about the Wishon EQ1-NX irons is the ability to add so much head weight if needed to play short lengths.  Same goes for set of Wishon 575MMC I built for my son.  Other than a typical tip weight, the bottom of the hosel has its own additional weight port that can accommodate up to a 9g tungsten weight.  The EQ1-NX hybrids and fairways also have additional sole weight ports for even more weight -> it's crazy how much weight you can add to these.  I built my EQ1-NX 15* 3-wood to 41.5" and it performed really well. The hybrids and fairways can also be bent at the hosel.  Great stuff Mr. Wishon ! 👍

Edel does the same sort of thing...they have a weight in the back that they set up for you.

Another thing I find interesting is that I have responded pretty much to the opposite of most golfers when they try SL irons.

I do not like thr shorter 4 and 5 irons and hybrids.  I hit them lower than I like and it feels weird.

I LOVE the 6-GW...I hit them HIGHER, more predictably, and my comfort level is way better.

I am also a taller golfer, and reading some.of Rybo's posts on here a few years ago about the physiological amd kinesithetic.aspectd of longer short irons for taller golfers started me on my SL journey.

I would take the whole "SL" fitting concept a step further and say that SL is but a stepping stone to where I would go.  I view my clubs as having different 'primary' purposes.  Anything longer than a 6 iron I view as a 'strategy' club...as in my opening move off the tee box.  Anything from 6 iron on down, I view as a 'GET IT ON THE GREEN' club and anything from PW-LW I view as 'GET IT CLOSE' club.

It's not that the longer clubs cannot be used to 'get it on the green', but recognizing the simple odds of an amateur on hitting a green from beyond 170 yards on a regular basis, these clubs are like 'tactical nukes'...close enough is good enough. 🙂

If I could get the swing weights correct, I'd have the following set makeup.

3/4 an 4/5 irons at 39" long, with a utility club/iron-wood type head, compact from heel to toe, minimal offset, and a swing weight in the d2-4 range and 2* upright.

6-GW at 37.5" long with a smallish, minimal offset forged blade head.  Not sure what the lofts would need to be to accomplish correct gapping, but I think you get the idea of what kind of iron head I'd want.  I really like the Cobra Forged tour type heads and the Edel SLS01 really does a good job of making the heads compact from heel to toe and not looking clunky or bulky.  Additionally, I don't know what the 'bounce' specs are on the Edel's, but they make them VERY friendly on slight mishits. I think that is one of the features that really sets them apart from other clubs.  Ideally, a head like a true blade or a 'players' club head but at the appropriate head weight would be what I'd want.  When I started my SL journey, I actually emailed Miura about this very idea, and they told me that a few years ago they made a few sets of heads that were all the same head weight, but they did not pursue this and have no plans to do so.  The idea of a Miura CB57 type head set up for SL use is something that would cause me to spend a lot of money really quickly.  As an aside, I think the CB57 is one of the best looking club heads ever made.

SW and LW would be 36.5" long and 2* Upright.

This is pretty much my specs as it stands now...except for the top of the bag.  The CBX iron woods are VL, and my wedges are all 36.5" long and have lies adjusted upright.

My 'old' VL iron specs were +1" (39" 5 iron), and 3* upright.  I always hit the 5-8 irons the best, never really hit the 3 and 4 worth a darn and the 9-GW were very inconsistent as well.  

I would basically be building my clubs to be my 'comfort' clubs from top to bottom.

This is what my clubs current lengths are.

Driver (44.5")

3 wood (43")

2 hybrid (18* 41")

3/4 hybrid (22* 39.5")

4/5 hybrid (25* 38.5")

6-GW (37.5")

SW-LW (36.5")

Getting the CBX ironwoods made to order at 39", 2* upright and d4 SW should not be to hard to do.

Sorry for rambling, but I love the idea of 'dreaming' about golf gear like this.  The idea of a SL version of a forged blade/compact clubbed would be thrilling to me.  I think that with the advances in hollow body technology that making the longer clubs with the appropriate loft, COG, 'hot faces' and then having traditional designed middle and short irons would make this do-able.

Edited by OsnolaKinnard
  • Like 2

Further to Single-Length being a stepping stone for me:

I have taken what I have learned from having a few TLT sets built over the years ( True-Length Technology ) , and reduced length sets, and Single-Length, along with progressive swing-weights,  which has taken me to roll-my-own for what works for me.   All of this self-discovery lead me to setting up a very good golf work-shop at home.  I hope to have decades of golf left in my and will never go off the rack again, so investing in my own club building is a small investment.   ( with that setup I also have some ski tuning equipment too now )

My current iron build evolution, just completed a couple weeks ago are as follows, and fyi I'm 5'9"

36.0"  Single-Length 9-LW ( MP-18 MMC 9i & PW, JPX-900F GW, RTX-4 SW & LW )

36.25" 8i  ( MP-18 MMC )

36.5  7i  ( MP-18 MMC )

36.75  6i  ( MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi )

37.0  5i  ( MP-18 MMC FliHi )

- all shafts are Steelfiber i95 Regular 

- I had to get creative with extra heavy home-made tip weights, and some lead tape still required on the 5i

- I keep a second bag and those also have MP-18 MMC but with 3/8" increments from 8i-5i

I've been gaming Titleist 915 and 818 H1 hybrids previously, and now have TS2 hybrids.  But I do not like them at shorter lengths, even when using the heavier head weights, trust me I've tried hard to make them work shorter.  So I play my 23* and 19* TS2 at stock length, and same with my TS2 16.5 4-wood stock length at 42.5

I did have a set of EQ1-NX heads but I believe the blade length and sole did not work for me as a longtime MB / CB player.  I think the latest King Forged Tec OL is more of a "player's" shaped head that might have worked better for me.

There is no universal answer to a set make-up.

Tinker away and discover what works for you and build 'em yourself if you can !   There are so many great resources here within the GolfWRX community to assist you along the evolving journey.

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 1

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrids  |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

12 minutes ago, grantc79 said:

What flex do you play, I might have an entire set to sell hybrids and all. 

I play regular flex. I'm not sure if you can private message me here yet as I'm a new member, but if so, go for it!

• 3 months later...
On 12/9/2020 at 5:54 AM, OsnolaKinnard said:

Edel does the same sort of thing...they have a weight in the back that they set up for you.

Another thing I find interesting is that I have responded pretty much to the opposite of most golfers when they try SL irons.

I do not like thr shorter 4 and 5 irons and hybrids.  I hit them lower than I like and it feels weird.

I LOVE the 6-GW...I hit them HIGHER, more predictably, and my comfort level is way better.

I am also a taller golfer, and reading some.of Rybo's posts on here a few years ago about the physiological amd kinesithetic.aspectd of longer short irons for taller golfers started me on my SL journey.

I actually am in the same boat. I've played the sterlings since they released and have loved them, the biggest surprise was how much better my wedge play got with a the longer lengths. I was basically a scratch golfer before switching and now a poor round is even par.  But my biggest issue was always the 5 iron. As someone with plenty of clubhead speed (120mph driver) and a reasonable attack angle with the irons (2-3 degrees down) I shouldn't have had any issue with the 5 iron but I could never hit the trajectory I wanted with it.  That isn't exclusive to single length though. Even a traditional length 5 iron was lower than I wanted. Anyways I've since weakened all my irons (5-pw) 2 degrees and that brought my launch up to where I wanted it and actually bridged the slightly bigger gaps between my wedges to where I want them as well.  But for me I've learned I can't launch an iron below 25 degrees loft in the window I want.  So anything below 25 is hybrid or fairway wood for me. 

• Like 2