Game Improvement irons for very SHALLOW AOA?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am a picker and a wider sole is the exact opposite of what works well for me. My 2 cents

I wouldn’t necessarily say you need a wider sole. Depends on how much ground interaction you want. Mid-sole might be perfect.  Look at Maltby PTM (very nice head) or TS1 or TS2 (those are my p

I'll second this advice.  I would avoid high bounce as well which means Ping is out.

Any GI or SGI iron with a lot of offset.  In your case, the more, the better.

• Thanks 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 52 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I wouldn’t necessarily say you need a wider sole. Depends on how much ground interaction you want. Mid-sole might be perfect. 

Look at Maltby PTM (very nice head) or TS1 or TS2 (those are my preferred Maltby heads in order), plus Mizuno JPX Forged or HMP, Callaway Apex, Titleist T200, Sub70 639CB, New Level 1126. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Chadwickog said:

I am a picker and a wider sole is the exact opposite of what works well for me. My 2 cents

I'll second this advice.  I would avoid high bounce as well which means Ping is out.

Edited by scomac2002
  • Like 2

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM RBZ Black 12°

Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°

TM '09 Rescue 25°

TM Burner Plus 6-AW

Cleveland CBX 56°

Never Compromise NCX RAY tau

1 hour ago, Golf64 said:

JPX 921 Hot Metal.

This

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Blue 7x

Callaway Rogue SZ Tour Issue 5w 17* Tour AD TP 8x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey JDM Forged 50F, 56M, SM4 60S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Taylormade TP5X 2021

Ping Hoofer

The OP was asking about irons for shallow angle of attack.  AoA is based on the shaft angle on the downswing.  More vertical is steep is. Justin Thomas.  Flatter AoA means more towards parallel side ie. Rickie Fowler.  You can have a steep AoA and take little divot and flat and take large divot.  

Edited by golfinbrad
2 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

I’ll third it.  No wide soles with bounce.

• Like 1

M4 Driver D-type
sometimes 5W, sometimes 3 hybrid

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
58º Wedge
Odyssey Jailbird Mini

I’m going to guess that what you really do is hit the ground before the ball, since 92% of golfers do that.  Probably not much speed.

As far as I can tell, every “GI” club produced since, well, forever, is designed to “help” such a swing.    That is what the wide soles low/rearward center of gravity delofted clubs are all about.  They don’t advertise them as such because that would mean dwelling uncomfortably on the swing faults their customers would just as soon not dwell on.

I’ve read posts here from people who said because they were 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70 they were too old to change.  They were all wrong.  They may have been physically unable to execute a good swing, but not because necessarily of their age.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

I’m going to guess that what you really do is hit the ground before the ball, since 92% of golfers do that.  Probably not much speed.

As far as I can tell, every “GI” club produced since, well, forever, is designed to “help” such a swing.    That is what the wide soles low/rearward center of gravity delofted clubs are all about.  They don’t advertise them as such because that would mean dwelling uncomfortably on the swing faults their customers would just as soon not dwell on.

I’ve read posts here from people who said because they were 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70 they were too old to change.  They were all wrong.  They may have been physically unable to execute a good swing, but not because necessarily of their age.

THIS

That is exactly why these irons are made, especially PING.  I'm the very definition of "steep."  I have no issues hitting wide sole irons and while we have the "outlier" player where they don't fit, the great majority of these golfers use wider soled irons.

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0

G410 5, 7 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

Glide 3.0 54ES, 58WS Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch & Craz-E **Backups**

(My son is waiting patiently for the G425 woods so he can take my old ones!)

5 minutes ago, tbowles411 said:

THIS

That is exactly why these irons are made, especially PING.  I'm the very definition of "steep."  I have no issues hitting wide sole irons and while we have the "outlier" player where they don't fit, the great majority of these golfers use wider soled irons.

They are made for steep swings.  They are poor for shallow swings, at least for mine.  And several others here in the thread.

• Like 2

M4 Driver D-type
sometimes 5W, sometimes 3 hybrid

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
58º Wedge
Odyssey Jailbird Mini
11 hours ago, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

Let's talk about this.  Trust me, my ego isn't so fragile that I can't handle the truth that I don't have a good golf swing.  Too old to change?  Probably not, but the question then becomes:  how badly do you want to change in the hope of being a better player?  Do you buy a club that works for your swing or do you change your swing to work for the club?  That's really the trade-off that we're talking about here.

Sure I can get steep, but if I'm swinging well I'm picking the ball off the turf rather than hitting down on it and taking a divot.  Wide soles with ample bounce are not conducive to a picker's swing.  Tends to lead to a lot of thin or heavy strikes neither of which gives a good result.  As you noted you sometimes have to work with what you have to work with, especially with an older player.  There can be physical limitations, some of which are correctable, some of which are not.

I've tried the Ping iron approach.  In fact I was fitted for a set and used them for part of four years.  They were fine, but far from a game changer.  At one point I figured that they were worth more to me for their trade in value than as a set of players.  What I have discovered since is that narrower soles with less bounce seem to give me a more pleasing strike and a more consistent result, so that's where I am at this point.

To further make my point, I spent a good part of this past season struggling with a Cleveland CBX wedge complete with fat-bottomed sole and copious amounts of bounce and couldn't make a shot with that thing if my life depended upon it.  Once again, turf interaction became the bane of my existence!

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM RBZ Black 12°

Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°

TM '09 Rescue 25°

TM Burner Plus 6-AW

Cleveland CBX 56°

Never Compromise NCX RAY tau

Similar to above with regards to owning my flawed swing/approach.  My iron approach is all about timing, I literally try to pick/pinch the ball off the turf without a divot at all.  It's a total 'casting' move and I realize this is not how to best execute the swing, but this is what I've found works for me and I literally spend 0 minutes practicing golf.  The only time I spend on golf swing is when I go to the course to play a round (about 20 times/year).  I've found over time that I get the best results with a super thin soled iron and super thin top line.  It gives me the confidence to pull off the 'pick'.  Tried G series irons and it did not end well.  I'm an 8 HC fwiw, so I manage to get around the course ok and don't even leave a trace that I was there.

PING Hoofer Lite 

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Srixon Z U85 23*

Nike VR Forged Pro Combo

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

Don't sleep on the Srixon V sole, the 965, 785, and Z Forged all have thinner soles and are pretty darn forgiving for the class of iron they are. 

Ping G425 LST 9* Fujikura Ventus Black 7X 
Ping G425 LST 14.5* Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Ping G425 19* Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX 
Srixon Z Forged 4-GW Steelfiber i95  
Cleveland ZipCore 54/58 DG TI Spinner 
PXG Gen 2 Operator Stability Tour 
ProV1X Left Dash / Tour BX

My personal experience is the iron head itself is the best. By that I mean you have to like the look,feel etc.  Im a flat shallow swing. My 2 favorite irons I play are Mizuno Trues and Ping Eye 2 pretty much complete opposites. I hit both the same as far as consistent strikes. Also imo I hit the ball first even tho I'm a low AOA. all my turf interaction is past the ball.

I'm a picker/sweeper as well with my irons and I play New Level 623-M.  They are MB and the soles are on the thinner side.  Lots of offset and wide soles are a big no no for me. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

21 hours ago, Double Gee said:

I've tried to steepen my iron swing and compress that darn ball and take a divot. 

No can do! And at 65yo I'm too old to change. 

So, any recommendations for an iron that can help a 'picker'. 

I've heard Maltby have different designs but no idea what 

Any help please? 

I’m about your age and tend towards a picker as opposed to a digger and a wide blade is NOT the way to go. I tried playing the Ping G30 s a couple of years ago and it was a disaster. I had played Ping i15 and a Titliest forged combo before those. Currently playing the Callaway Rogue Pro and I have a set of Mizuno Hot Metal Pros coming for next year. Watch the TXG guys on YouTube and Ian will tell you that a picker should not be playing a wide sole iron.

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Alta 55 S
  • Woods - Callaway Epic 15* Hzurdus 6.0 /  Callaway Epic 18* (19*) Hzurdus 5.5
  • Hybrids - Titliest 818 H1 21* Tensei Red R 
  • Irons - Mizuno 919 HM Pro 5-PW UST Recoil ESX 460 F3
  • Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* AWT /  Callaway PM Grind 54* KBS HiSpin 115
  • Putter - Odyssey O-Works 7 34.5” ... Golf Pride SNSR Contour Pro
  • Ball - Titliest ProV1x left dash
  • Grips -  Golf Pride Tour Velvet 58R 
20 hours ago, golfinbrad said:

I would look toward something with a wider sole.  

Absolutely not...a sweeper should be using a narrow sole.

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Alta 55 S
  • Woods - Callaway Epic 15* Hzurdus 6.0 /  Callaway Epic 18* (19*) Hzurdus 5.5
  • Hybrids - Titliest 818 H1 21* Tensei Red R 
  • Irons - Mizuno 919 HM Pro 5-PW UST Recoil ESX 460 F3
  • Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* AWT /  Callaway PM Grind 54* KBS HiSpin 115
  • Putter - Odyssey O-Works 7 34.5” ... Golf Pride SNSR Contour Pro
  • Ball - Titliest ProV1x left dash
  • Grips -  Golf Pride Tour Velvet 58R