2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How many shots have you made from longer than 100 yards? With what club? List circumstances and golf courses if you wish as well as your handicap.

GoletaGolfer

8 iron from about 140 for eagle in SE Asia some 4 years ago. Only one I actually saw go in the hole.

3 hybrid HIO from about 175 into a stiff wind about 7 years ago in Boca Raton. Mound in front of green so I didn't see it go in but it was right at the flag the entire way.

5 iron from about 185 down breeze for double eagle at Jacaranda East. Same as above, mound in front so I didn't see it go in. Also never left the flag the entire way.

5 iron from about 200 out of the wet rough for double eagle about 13 years ago at my home course. Last 75 yards or so is downhill so the ball hits the hill and rolls down. Also never saw it go in but the planning and execution was extra special.

Rode up to see where the flag was while the group in front was putting. Knew it was squirting out low and hot and hit it right where I was looking. Said to my teammate "That could be good. It's right at it"

Got down there and no ball on the green so I thought it rolled over the back as that happens with some frequency. Disappointed I took a look in the hole as I was walking to the back and there the little bugger was.  51683a_f50c879448b845bfb7feb71ef51393e5~

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

3 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

It depends too on where you live and how much you play. I play 60 rounds a year. Someone in Texas might play 150. So I'd do once every 2 1/2 years what Texas Jeff does every year

BTW Texas Jeff was my name when I was an adult film star

Yup. As I mentioned previously, I average about 150 rounds a year when I'm healthy.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I might play 25 times max per year. I may focus for 5 rounds or so when I feel like having a goal, such as shooting my age. I did focus last week when I played against three 30-somethings - their best ball against me. That's always a fun game because they think they have a chance. 😎 They were so mad!

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

On 12/8/2020 at 1:49 PM, Ty_Webb said:

Let's see. I had two holes in one within a couple of months in 1998. One was a 4 iron from about 188 at Headingley Golf Club in Leeds, England. The other was a 6 iron from about 170 at Bognor Regis down on the south coast. Subsequent to that I've holed one shot for an eagle on a par 4, that was right around 100 yards out. All my other par 4 eagles have been drivable greens where I've been on or chipping. 

Then I've holed a 5 iron on the 8th hole on Walton Heath Old - that was from about 193. Downwind, couldn't see the ball go in, but got up there and it was in the hole. Albatross number one. That was quite exciting. Second albatross was a 3 iron from 202 on the 7th hole at Bethpage Black. Covered the flag the whole way, was on the green for a bit and then the ball vanished. Fist pump!!!

That's about it - I can think of a couple of other hole outs, but they were both in the 60-80 yard range. 

Two albatrosses. Rarefied air. Can't be more than a handful of people ever to have done that. Great work!

Play to a +4 in season and no aces... Hit every pin at my home course this year, some multiple times.  Holed out too many times to count.  It's all luck.  

Side note:  Had Covid albatrosses in back to back days back when they had noodles in the holes so the ball wouldn't stay in the cup.  First one rolled and hit the pin stopping about an inch from the hole.  Then the next day on another par 5, ball rolled, hit the pin and stopped about a couple inches away again.   Happy they didn't go in, funnel pins.  I would have protested out of disgust.  

Exactly Zero.

I've hit pins, flags and left them hanging on the edge plenty of times, though.

Golf is a cruel game.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Again, none. But this is the first time hitting the green on 1 and it was 160 yards out. I was quite happy.

PXL_20210103_185654975.jpg

<edit> in regulation with my 5i, I hit the green eventually every time. 

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I've holed out from the fairway for Eagle and Birdie, and to save Par so many times I quit keeping track of them.  Only 1 hole-in-one on a 165yd Par 3, using 8i.

My only concern is what the card says after 18 holes and keep tract of my best shots in the last round till the next round.  I play to 3-5 depending on time of year and bones.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Made a hole in one in 2014. Sank a 6i shot from 166 yards at Hawthorne/#4 at Forest Park in St. Louis.

As for longer than 100 yards, that's about it. I have sunk a couple of short irons hitting into practice area target greens with actual cup and flag.

If you chart half and 3/4 wedge shots - let's say 50-80 yards - I've had a couple dozen.

2020 greenside this year - inside 25 yards - I sank one SW and three LWs for birdies. 

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Have had a few hole outs from +150 over what feels like 20 years of golf, but only one worth sharing.

Was a corporate comp (ambrose) and my handicap was 1/3 of the next best player in the group...

... So we get to the 12th (gorgeous short par 4, tight fairway lined with tall trees, elevated tea and green).

"Alright guys, it's on you as we need to start taking some more drives from alternate members of the team."

I pull out my 16 degree hybrid with no pressure as figure it's just a safety in case they hit absolute shockers. 

Crunch. It starts towards right edge of the green with soft draw... Bounce... Bounce. Roll. Gasp? Is that in? How? Hmmm looks like we'll have to take my drive again!

Albatross. 

Same comp, same team, same course the following year? Shanked in to tree not far from the tee box 🙄😒😅

Edited by Sandles
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sandles said:

Have had a few hole outs from +150 over what feels like 20 years of golf, but only one worth sharing.

Was a corporate comp (ambrose) and my handicap was 1/3 of the next best player in the group...

... So we get to the 12th (gorgeous short par 4, tight fairway lined with tall trees, elevated tea and green).

"Alright guys, it's on you as we need to start taking some more drives from alternate members of the team."

I pull out my 16 degree hybrid with no pressure as figure it's just a safety in case they hit absolute shockers. 

Crunch. It starts towards right edge of the green with soft draw... Bounce... Bounce. Roll. Gasp? Is that in? How? Hmmm looks like we'll have to take my drive again!

Albatross. 

Same comp, same team, same course the following year? Shanked in to tree not far from the tee box 🙄😒😅

Was it a hole-in-one?

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

My first two hole-outs helped instill my love of golf.  Happened 20 years ago or so when I was 25ish and I was playing with a set of Dunlop clubs with very little skill involved.  I had only been playing for a couple of years, never serious...  First was behind a pine tree obscuring the view of the green on hole 1 about 120 yards out with a PW on a par 4 for a birdie.  Second happened later that year from the middle of the fairway on hole 4 from 155 out with a 7 iron.  I still have the magical Top Flite 2000 ball from this shot.  Both of those shots made me come back for more for years to come. Don’t recall any for about 10 years after that...

Perhaps about 10 years ago, I had a very satisfying eagle from 115 out on my current course hole one, which is a par 5.  Used my 52 degree vokey, to drop this eagle.  Landed long of the hole and spun back in.

About 6-7 years ago, on the same course,  I had two eagles on a par 4 about 3 weeks apart on the same hole (17), both from about 135 out with a PW.  They were with different groups of guys, but oddly very similar!

Had another about 5 years ago on a golf trip from about 160 out with an 8 iron.  This was perhaps the most fun to watch because we had a very clear view of it and it went in on a tough par 4 hole for an eagle.

Shots like these are golf magic and keep you coming back!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

A few over the years. couple of wedges from over 100 yards at Dungannon (home of the young Darren Clarke) Golf Club, NI in the distant past. 

A 6 iron from about 165 at the 9th, Stewart Creek, Alberta, Canada. Blind second from the top of a hill to a green in the valley. Didn't see it go in, but it started perfectly on line and my playing partner watching from the top of the hill was commentating and told me it had trickled in. Pitch mark 10 feet short, smaller one 4 feet short. 

6 iron from about 170 at the 18th, Bearwood Lakes GC, Wokingham, UK. Straight into the hole on the fly in front of a few people watching on the clubhouse verandah, hit the cup with a loud clang. Nice shot aimed a bit left into the wind, I guess I allowed just about enough. 

Edited by mjtoal

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

HI 18, 110 yds, Canoa Ranch GC, Green Valley, AZ. 

Hit tee shot to middle of fairway 155 out.  Sh**ked approach to edge of desert on the right.  Restricted backswing (cactus) with 9I to elevated green.  Clunky thin to win, narrowly misses bunker and disappears as it scampers onto the green. 

I get up there and ball nowhere to be found.  Assumed it had run through and could not find in the desert behind the green.  Played E5 onto the green and 3 putt for a 9. 

Found original ball in the hole. I marked it down as a 3.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

I've been playing for 7 years and have 0.  The longest shot I've holed out couldn't have been more than 30 yards.  So chips/pitches only for me to date.  I'm roughly a 10 handicap.

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

16 cap - 3 times

~2002: Moses Lake, WA (course had sand greens!) Par 5, third shot from 160-ish. Saw it go in, left a cool trail on the green.

2019: 7th hole here on my home course, 7 iron from 140 into a pretty stiff crosswind for a deuce.

2020: Boulder Creek GC in Boulder City NV. Par 5, sand wedge from 100 for eagle. Saw it hit short and roll past the hole up a rise, then slowly roll back into the cup.

Cobra Radspeed xB Driver - UST Mamiya Helium Nanocore 4F2

Cobra Speedzone 4W - UST Mamiya Helium Nanocore 4F2

Cobra F9 7W

Mizuno MC Fli-Hi 4H - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919F 6-GW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919 SW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Txema JMO 60 LW 

Slighter Redmond

One pitiful time in 27 years of golf.  And it was a cold bladed 9 iron from 145 that never got over 3’ off the ground and I’m pretty sure the flag stick had to be replaced due to all the splintered fiberglass.  One time and it was a lousy shot.

Might want to work on my iron game, no?

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

I have 4 hole in ones: two 6 irons from about 180-185 yards (on two different holes: #4 and #11 at Royal Mayfair), 7 iron from about 160 yards (#7 at Pineridge golf course), and about a 100 yard sand wedge on a par 3 pitch and putt (Kinsmen Pitch and Putt, but I still count it!).

I have canned a 9 iron for eagle from about 150 yards on a par 4 twice (9th hole at The Ranch golf course, and 15 at Royal Mayfair).

I once made a 120 wedge for par on a par 4 (9th hole at the Derrick Club). Had some fairway bunker issues, but did eventually make a par!

Those are the ones I remember. I do believe I have canned a wedge from the fairway on a par 5 for eagle, but I cannot remember the details.

I have played golf for 30 years (45 years old), and am currently around a 3 handicap.

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

On 12/7/2020 at 8:16 AM, golfandfishing said:

Probably 25ish lifetime but they were mostly 1994 - 2010 when I played a lot and at a +2 to scratch level. In the last 10 years I think 3 and they all came within about a month. 
made my first hole in one at Talking Stick with a 7 iron on #6. A few weeks later dunked a wedge at a course in Ft Myers (Eagle Landing I think appropriately enough) while on vacation on the 11th hole. The next week back at home same thing on #1 at AZ Golf Resort.  Drought since as far as I can remember and actually the poorest play of my life since as well. 

The funny thing is I have played all three of those courses haha.

No holes in one, numerous hole-outs. I think I have two from over 100 yards, although one of them might have been just under that mark. I had to hit a low runner because I was under some branches, which wasn't too bad because there was some fairway in front and the flag was in the back. Just hit a slapshot 5-iron than ran up and clanked in off the flag. It was a good shot, probably would have stayed on at least the fringe even if it hadn't hit the flag.

The longer one was from about 175 yards with a 6-iron. Just a good shot that was lucky to go in. It was early in the season and the whole course was half mud and half frozen. I was so worried about my footing that I forgot to screw up my swing.

TM 2016 M2, Graphite Design Tour AD DI

Callaway Rogue 3w, 15º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Yonex EZone XPG 3h, 18.25º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Srixon U65 4di, 23º, Aerotech Steelfibre i95

Mizuno MP-59, 5i-PW, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF

Cleveland RTX Zipcore, 50º,54º,58º, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF 

Ping B60 Scottsdale TR, Nippon NS PRO Putter

Volvik S4

• 2 weeks later...

7 iron - hole in one from 168. 
PW - hole in one from 125. 
7 iron - hole in one from 145. 
6 iron - albatross from 208.  

There’s probably more but those are the ones I remember clearly.  I’ve dunked quite a few from 25-100 yards.   

handicap is +1.   Been playing competitively on and off for 20+ years and just got that first albatross last year!

Looking at this, my honest answer is I honestly do not know and now I feel bad for not knowing.

Trying to think about it, I am coming up with my 3 holes in one. Other than that, I know that they have happened and think maybe around a dozen or so (I play quite a bit golf to be fair) but they only specific one that I can remember is a holed 4 iron from 190 which sadly enough was actually for a birdie 😂

14th hole at my home course is an uphill 460 yard par 4. I pulled a drive into the trees and could barely hit my second shot forward. I was able to pop it onto a section of the rough which gets driven on by the green keepers so I was on for a good lie. Striped a 4 iron back into the wind, ran up to the green and fell into the hole. Not sure I was even that pleased with it only being for a 3 😂

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023