How many shots have you made from longer than 100 yards? With what club? List circumstances and golf courses if you wish as well as your handicap.

My first was a hole in one on the 3rd at my home club (Tadmarton Heath). 144 yards, 8 iron. Luckily it’s one I could see go in.

then a few months later, the 2nd hole, 132 yards with a 9 iron. Trickled down the slope in the middle of the green and in for an Eagle.

and last year on our 12th after a rubbish drive and a chunked hybrid, it wasn’t outside 100 yards (it was only 72), but a slam dunk LW for birdie feels like it deserves to be in the same category as the other 2! It almost broke the little plastic in the cup (for Covid reasons).

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just made the cut, holed out for eagle from 102 yards out, 52 Degree Cleveland Zipcore  18th hole, Fall River Country Club, MA

Humble brag/update -    Added one more on Christmas Day. 155 out, off the fairway and had to punch from under a tree branch. Hit it really well on exactly the line I wanted... ball ran up on

None yet. I just started hitting greens in regulation a few times a round. Soon maybe?   This was about 90 yards out with my PW.    

Posted Images

My wife - who is a 35 cap or so - has made one this winter.  Holed a severe uphill blind 8i from 100 yards for a par on a par 5.  The crazy thing is she had the same shot on the previous hole, and hit it to a foot.  It was like the twilight zone.  Crazy hard holes, 8 and 9 at Blackstone.  Normally shoots 120 and was 44 that 9!!

and then, last season she holed out a 7w on an impossible hole par 4 for an eagle 2.  Over water and water right of green as well.  She plays maybe 6-10 times a year.  7th at Sandestin Links.

Ping G400 Max Fuji Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x 

Cally Apex '16 3h 20* KK Silver 80x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KK Silver 80x

Srixon ZX7 5i  AD DI di 95x 

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 56* & 60*, SM2 64.07

Scotty GoLo 7

On 12/29/2020 at 6:58 AM, Ty_Webb said:

This blows my mind. I've been scratch-ish for about 20 years. I don't play anywhere near as much as you do anymore, but I've had I think 5 100+ hole outs in my life. 2 par 3s, 2 par 5s and 1 par 4 and that's it. You hear about holes in one being roughly 10k to 1, so every 10,000 holes you play, you should expect about one. You're better than typical for sure, so let's say it's 5,000 to 1. Hole outs from outside 100 yards must be roughly similar. 150 rounds is 2,700 holes. Have to think that many of those holes are going to be short 4s and par 5s where you're inside 100 on the approach. Let's very conservatively say 2,500 attempts. To have two a year is 1,250 to 1. Roughly speaking. That's an insane number to hole out! Your one hole in one is more what I'd expect! 

Never saw this, but, yeah, I have holed out a LOT of shots. Checked with my PGA Tour stats guru buddy, and we determined my hole out percent is similar to PGA Tour average. I have averaged at least two a year from 100 plus for a long time. Had three last year. Best year was probably 5? Keep in mind that I played a course for years, where I had 8 to 12 holes a round where I had the opportunity to hole a shot from 100 to 150. , playing 150 to 200 rounds a year.

Strongest part of my game has always been 80 to 160.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

19 hours ago, cardoustie said:

My wife - who is a 35 cap or so - has made one this winter.  Holed a severe uphill blind 8i from 100 yards for a par on a par 5.  The crazy thing is she had the same shot on the previous hole, and hit it to a foot.  It was like the twilight zone.  Crazy hard holes, 8 and 9 at Blackstone.  Normally shoots 120 and was 44 that 9!!

and then, last season she holed out a 7w on an impossible hole par 4 for an eagle 2.  Over water and water right of green as well.  She plays maybe 6-10 times a year.  7th at Sandestin Links.

Funny story, my wife practiced for like a month before our honeymoon so she could play at the course at the resort (Norman course at Sandals Bahamas). But she had never putted in her life, only practiced swings

First 2 holes she ever played she makes like a 25 footer and then on the next hole like a 40 footer. Lol. She's like "wow putting is easy"

• Like 2

Cobra Radspeed XB tour length 9 w/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Callaway Apex 20 w/PX Catalyst 70
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Mine was #10 Eagle Creek in Joplin, Mo..  Hit a mediocre drive at best on the uphill par 4.  Holed my second shot from 193 with my 4i.  It was uphill to a severely elevated green so none of us saw it go in, but we found it in the cup.

Callaway Epic Max with Tensei Blue Raw

TM Sim Max 5 wood with Ventus Blue

TM Sim Max 3 hybrid with Ventus Blue

TM M6 5 hybrid with Hzrdus 

Srixon 545 5i with Recoil 110 F4

Srixon Z945 6- I PW with Recoil 110 F4

52 and 56 degree Ping Forged with Recoil 110 F4

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Ping Prime Tyne or Spider Tour Black

Pretty cool to read these stories. 

I've holed a 2H from 241 back in college at Keith Hills CC in North Carolina (Albatross)

Another Albatross was a PW from 134 at Shenvalee GC in New Market, VA (430 yd par 5 that prolly plays a tad shorter)

1st hole in one was 186 with a 6i at Hyland GC in Southern Pines, NC

2nd hole in one was 170-ish with a 7iron at Seven Lakes GC in Seven Lakes, NC 

3 times.

1. Punched 110m pitching wedge for eagle on a par 5 from the weeds. Handicap was about 15.
  2. 52* from 100m in the fairway on the same hole as above, but it was shortened and turned into a par 4. Another eagle. Handicap was 6.
  3. 9 iron from 130m for an albatross on a wind-assisted par 5. Handicap was 11. I was playing with Dad, so that made it all the more special. He got a birdie the traditional way.

Holed on earlier in the week. First one this year. Went out with a buddy to prep him for a tournament. I can't really play right now due to my back issues, so he hit drives and I woul drop my ball where he hit his drive and would play in from there.  We played a nice little match that way. I am so short. Hitting eight or nine iron from around 100 yards. Just brutal. But I need to be outside.

Anyway, we got to number 18 and were all square at Goose Creek golf club. He hit the tee shot and we were left with a 210 yard shot to a middle-left pin. He went first and pulled his shot a bit left of the green and had a tough up and down. I went next, but I just can't hit the ball that far with my back problems, but I tried to muscle a 3w, came out of it and hit in the water.

I looked at him and said "well I guess that's the match," but then I reconsidered and dropped one to see if I could save bogey. You can guess what happened next. I dropped from 112 yards and holed out my 7-hybrid. 🙂 He got up and down and we halved the match. 

Edited by Obee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff

2 hours ago, Obee said:

Holed on earlier in the week. First one this year. Went out with a buddy to prep him for a tournament. I can't really play right now due to my back issues, so he hit drives and I woul drop my ball where he hit his drive and would play in from there.  We played a nice little match that way. I am so short. Hitting eight or nine iron from around 100 yards. Just brutal. But I need to be outside.

Anyway, we got to number 18 and were all square at Goose Creek golf club. He hit the tee shot and we were left with a 210 yard shot to a middle-left pin. He went first and pulled his shot a bit left of the green and had a tough up and down. I went next, but I just can't hit the ball that far with my back problems, but I tried to muscle a 3w, came out of it and hit in the water.

I looked at him and said "well I guess that's the match," but then I reconsidered and dropped one to see if I could save bogey. You can guess what happened next. I dropped from 112 yards and holed out my 7-hybrid. 🙂 He got up and down and we halved the match. 

Never in the history of the world have these words been uttered from a scratch golfer:

“Then I donked it from 112 yards with my seven hybrid.”

you’re easily my favourite guy to make fun of! 🤣

• Like 1

Kim Jun-Il wins hands down.  According to ESPN, he had a pretty good day...

Kim shot 38 under, including 11 holes-in-one, at the 7,700-yard championship course at Pyongyang in the VERY FIRST golf round of his life, according to North Korean state media. This was in 1994, when Kim was 52 years old. Even more impressive, Kim stood just 5-foot-3, yet he was able to overpower a course as long as any ever played in major championship history. Who knows how good Kim could have been if he had taken up the sport earlier? Who knows how many times he bested 38 under in the 17 years since his first round?

6 hours ago, isaacbm said:

Never in the history of the world have these words been uttered from a scratch golfer:

“Then I donked it from 112 yards with my seven hybrid.”

you’re easily my favourite guy to make fun of! 🤣

I'm not a scratch golfer anymore. Can't even shoot in the 70s right now when I do play. It's ... depressing.

• Sad 2

Two aces over here. I used to play to between 1-6 hdcp and never thought about how I’ve never holed out from the fairway.. 

5 iron from 190 yds - 1 hopped it in. Thought I had no witness until I saw my brother sprinting over from the adjacent green because he saw it go in. 

7 iron from 181 - dunked it. Couldn’t find the ball then checked the cup. Tore up the side on the way in

None from over 100y and only one I think from over 50y with a LW from around 90y on a par 4 for eagle.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Hzrdus Black RDX 60 6.5

Titleist TS2 16.5* w/ Fuji Pro 2.0 7X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ Tensei Raw AV Blue X

Ping I500 4i, I210 5-UW w/ Ti S400s

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54M & 58L w/ TI S400s

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2-Ball 33"

2 that I can remember. One was from about 110yds with a gap wedge for birdie from the center of the fairway (my approach shot on a par 4 was terrible, leaving me that distance).

The second was a wild, side hill lie from about 160ish with a 7 iron for par after I had hit my drive into a hazard, dropped and then proceeded to chunk my approach.

I've hit some majestic tee shots on par 3s that have just missed a hole in one, but of course it's the ugly shots that go in.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* Oban Devotion 6 (#4) shaft
Cobra Bio Cell 3W stock (S) shaft
Cobra Bio Cell 3Hy stock (S) shaft
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
JPX 919 Hot Metal 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T4 52* & 54*
Odyssey O-Works #7S

I've made 18.

My first year I started golfing I would wait for my dad to come home and we would play 9 holes afterward.  I was 11 years old at the time and I hit a 3-wood from 170 yards.  We looked and looked and looked for the ball as it was going right at the green.  We couldn't find it and then my dad said 'well, I'll look in the hole.'  I thought that was really optimistic, but there it was...in the hole for a Eagle 2.

My dad told me that I should keep count of eagles where I hole out from longer than 100 yards because in his mind that was as good, if not better than a hole in one.  Since most par-3's are longer than 100 yards and it takes two shots (or 3 on a par-5), he felt it was every bit as good as an hole in one on a par-3.

So I did.  I've only had 1 hole-in-one in my life (when I was 16) on a 130-yard par-3.  But I've had 17 eagles with shots coming in from over 100 yards.  The last one came at Orange Tree where I knocked one in on #9 from 108 yards away.  Got a double skin and our team won the scratch game and I came away with something like $175.

One of the funny ones happened playing Bella Collina.  I was talking to my dad and a friend of ours about how good the Edel wedges were during the round. Eventualy we get to a par-5 and I'm 100 yards away, but in a fairway divot.  I was going to move it since we were playing a casual round, but my dad started to bust my chops about me raving about the Edel wedges.  So I said 'fine' and chopped down at the ball, it landed about a yard from the hole, hopped right and went in.

Another happened at my home course's 6th hole.  There were only 2 known eagles on the hole at the time.  I hit a drive right down the middle and 'thinned to win' a 7-iron.  This was during high school golf practice.  

I was not happy with the shot and took my eye off the ball as it was rolling toward the green because I was putting my club in my bag.  During this time my best friend Rob is saying how lucky I am because that shot was going to find the green.

My friend Kevin can't see it because he's in the trees and he asks me what happened and I tell him that I thinned one that is going to find the green anyway.

Then I hear Rob yell 'IT'S GOING IN THE HOLE!' and I look at the green and see the ball roll its last 5-feet and drop in the hole.

RH

RH

Holed a 155 yard shot today for a deuce on a par 4.

(GolfWRX details: Played a baby draw 52° wedge that trickled into the hole after determining the grain and break using my range finder. No, not really. I hit a high, slight fade 7-iron uphill into some wind. Knew it was close but didn't know it was in until playing partners said I holed it.)

• Haha 1

I have zero. I once holed a sand wedge from about 60 yards. Off the green hole-outs of more than say 20 yards I have like 5. Closest I've come is 6 inches.

I have had many where I see the ball come down and think "oh that's gonna be close!" I get up there and it's 20 yards short in a bunker. 

Moreover, in all my playing, I have only ever witnessed a single full swing hole-out. This hole-out was on the 17th hole of a match I had led by 7 holes. This hole-out won my opponent the match. 

I don't have the best luck with these things.

Edited by James the Hogan Fan

Over my first decade of playing golf I holed out several (3? 4?) times from 100-120 yards for birdie or par but never for eagle. Then I had an ace on a tiny little 107-yard Par 3. A few years later I holed out for eagle on a Par 3 from I think it was 121 yards. And then just a few months after that, holed out for eagle from 105-ish on a Par 4. 

But nothing longer than that. I think the 120-something yarder with a 9-iron on that Par 5 circa 2015 was my longest hole-out ever.

Less than the 100-yard minimum in the question but I had two eagle hole-outs on the same short Par 4 from around 75 yards, just a couple weeks apart. That was pretty spooky. I think golf needs more sub-300-yard Par 4's, every course ought to have one.

I just holed out for a deuce on a par 4 in my first nine holes of the year. It was my longest ever holed shot on a par 4, from the great distance of.....32 yards 🤣

M5 9.0, Grafalloy White Blue 65X

M5 15.0, Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

(A) TSi2 21, Tensei AV Raw White 85TX, Set to C1 (B) DHY Proto 18, Diamana D+ 90X

i200 (4i), S56 (5-W), Project X 7.0, Red Dot 

Glide 3.0 (51.13SS, 55.13SS, 60.06TS), Project X 6.5 Blackout, Red Dot

Dual Force Rossie #1 (45", 79 lie-"FACE ON REVOLUTION" style)

Pro V1X

Ping Hoofer/Sun Mountain Pushcart