SM7 46 OR Keep set Wedge?

At the moment I have a SM7 48 bent to 46 as my pitching wedge as I lost my set wedge About to pull the trigger on a new set of irons (4-PW) The pitching wedge in the set is 46 I currently have 50, 54, 58 in SM7 And love them My wedges are by far the best part of my game so do you think it is worth the money to go out and buy a SM7 46 (Gunna sell my current SM7 46 Bounce is off and wrong shaft in it) Probably gunna buy both and see which I prefer

Edited by 1221
MIstake
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you use the PW as a wedge, or as a 10i ? (Mainly full shots)   If PW gets wedgy, pick up a new Vokey. IF not, consider the new set PW.

Depends on what you use your PW for I guess. I tried a non-set wedge once and I found the lack in forgiveness to outweigh the plus in versatility. I use my (47*) PW for full and partial shots (12

Agree with this completely. I use the PW with my iron set for the same reason. 

Depends on what you use your PW for I guess.

I tried a non-set wedge once and I found the lack in forgiveness to outweigh the plus in versatility. I use my (47*) PW for full and partial shots (125-100 yards) and bump and runs. So I do not really benefit from the added versatility, bounce and spin of a Vokey, MD, Glide, whatever.

If you want more trajectory control, more spin on partial shots and so on, it might be worth a try. For me, it never made real sense and I found myself to grab the 9i more often than ever before, so I released the 46* back into the wild 😉

• Like 1

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 @ 8.75

Taylormade RocketBallz Tour 3 Hybrid 18.5 or MP Titanium 4W 16.5

Nike Victory Red Hybrid 3 21.0

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW

Mizuno MP T-11 52/07

Wilson Staff PMP Wedge 56/14

Mizuno MP T-11 60/05

Mizuno/Bettinardi  BC1

Got to ask yourself, what you use your PW for. For me, I don’t tend to play too many little shots with it. It tends to be a club for hitting full shots with. I will on occasion take some off it with 3/4 swings but it is very rarely a club that I will take out and chip or pitch with - the job for that falls on my 50, 56 and 60 or something with a much straighter face like a 7 iron (we Scots love a bump and run). With that being the reason, I like the set PW with my T100’s. If you were the same I would go with that. That said, it sounds like you are maybe one to use your Vokey around the green in which case, the added versatility is likely something which will be of benefit to you.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

I used a 48 degree vokey for a long time but when I updated my irons the lofts got stronger so  I went to 4 wedges and decided to use the set pw.  I use my gap (50) for the shots I used the 48 for around the greens: long bunker shots, running chips/pitches etc... If decide to get a 46 wedge its really important to have the same shaft as your irons IMO.  

TS3 9.5 Hzrdus smoke black 60g 6.5
TS3 18 degree @ 17.25 hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5
P790 UDI 18* (KBS tour 130x)

818h2 19* (Steelfiber i110x or ck blue 80x at 39.5)
Mizuno MP18 (7-Pw), SC (5-6), MMC (4) (KBS tour 130x)

Vokey sm8 50/12, 56/14 at 55, 60/8 (TI s400 tipped 1/4")
1995 Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport 35"

Do you use the PW as a wedge, or as a 10i ? (Mainly full shots)

If PW gets wedgy, pick up a new Vokey. IF not, consider the new set PW.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

8 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

Got to ask yourself, what you use your PW for. For me, I don’t tend to play too many little shots with it. It tends to be a club for hitting full shots with. I will on occasion take some off it with 3/4 swings but it is very rarely a club that I will take out and chip or pitch with - the job for that falls on my 50, 56 and 60 or something with a much straighter face like a 7 iron (we Scots love a bump and run). With that being the reason, I like the set PW with my T100’s. If you were the same I would go with that. That said, it sounds like you are maybe one to use your Vokey around the green in which case, the added versatility is likely something which will be of benefit to you.

Agree with this completely. I use the PW with my iron set for the same reason. 

• Like 1

I have always considered my PW as my 10 iron, and have kept the set PW in the bag.  In the middle of this last season, I bought a Vokey SM7 46 to validate some of the claims in an article that I read justifying the use of a true wedge versus the set PW.  I still hit full shots with it, the full swing or in my case the 80% swing distance is the same but there are other positives.  First is that I didn’t feel any apprehension to grinding the trailing edge to get the sole exactly the way I wanted it, now the sole is perfect for full swing shoots but also the touch shots around the green.  Second is the grooves, I feel that the SM7 grooves are better and sharper than my forged MP-5 PW so I do get a little better spin control especially when you introduce any moisture into the equation.  The last benefit for me is mental, I don’t feel the least bit hesitant to replace a wedge when the grooves wear out, I would be very apprehensive to replace a PW out of the iron set, but this to me is a mental benefit.  I may be replacing my irons soon, and when that happens, I will be replacing the 4I to 9I only.  Adding a driving iron (2) and keeping the Vokey 46.