Rickie Fowler is a cautionary tale in overexposing a superstar

BlackDiamondPar5

26 minutes ago, Draw Driver said:

You’ve mentioned his pathway forward in a couple of threads now. I don’t think many are debating this. Even causal followers of the game get this as it’s typically mentioned on the broadcasts.

Posted it again due to the fact that many people here do not read every post of every thread and previously missed it or some actually don't read any of the posts of a thread they post in. Not everybody watches golf telecasts.

There are many here that have zero idea of how somebody can qualify for The Masters. Many of the same things get asked and posted here over and over again. It's the way of discussion boards. I apologize for posting a reply again that may answer a question for a forum member or lurker. 

Edited by grm24
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Certainly his head may not be in the game as you suggest. If you look at the chart, his ranking started its precipitous fall in mid 2019. He got married in Oct 2019 and its just continued to drop like a rock since then.  Related? Who knows.    I really hope he's well, both physically and mentally, and having a great time with life.  I'm sure he's got plenty of coin and I'm guessing he's still one of the top tour earners with endorsements.  Also all kidding aside, that beautiful wife with washboard abs may be too much for him 🤣

@Fergusonknows!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tiderider said:

rickie never did enough to warrant "superstar" as a golfer ... 

neither he nor his agent "overexposed" him ... the public did ... rickie just cashed in on it ... 

Ya, if anything, Rickie did all he could to make himself

unmarketable!

Like, wearin those orange outfits. I mean can you imagine anybody else doing that and actually having people say, “whoa, that’s cool, man” 

Take like, Bryson, wearin that 😂 Or Rory, or anybody. The sponsors would go running.

Rickie puts it on and people like, 

46DDB8CE-CE39-4646-95B7-D4571BA47A2B.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bscinstnct said:

unmarketable!

Like, wearin those orange outfits. I mean can you imagine anybody else doing that and actually having people say, “whoa, that’s cool, man” 

Take like, Bryson, wearin that 😂 Or Rory, or anybody. The sponsors would go running.

I never thought of it that way but yea, people just like rickie. 

On 2/2/2021 at 6:40 PM, tatertot said:

Dudes made major bank ... lives a good life ... seems to have his priorities straight ... his family will never do without ... seems to be healthy ... without the distance of most of his contemporaries.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of cautions out there. He struck while the iron was hot and set himself up for life.

Yep. An excellent guy happens to be an elite golfer and capitalized on that combination. Built a career and a life out of a passion. 

I’m sure he wants to compete and get wins, and I want to see that too. But I have to think he is comfortable where he’s at. 

would love to see him get a major and tick that box, because this conversation would shift a bit, IMO

41 minutes ago, grm24 said:

Posted it again due to the fact that many people here do not read every post of every thread and previously missed it or some actually don't read any of the posts of a thread they post in. Not everybody watches golf telecasts.

There are many here that have zero idea of how somebody can qualify for The Masters. Many of the same things get asked and posted here over and over again. It's the way of discussion boards. I apologize for posting a reply again that may answer a question for a forum member or lurker. 

So it isn’t easy information to find.

27 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

unmarketable!

yep ... i can't imagine nothing positive occurring with so much orange, regardless of the 'orange' or the person wearing it  ... but that's just me ... 

Image result for crimson tide

Edited by tiderider

5 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Certainly his head may not be in the game as you suggest. If you look at the chart, his ranking started its precipitous fall in mid 2019. He got married in Oct 2019 and its just continued to drop like a rock since then.  Related? Who knows.    I really hope he's well, both physically and mentally, and having a great time with life.  I'm sure he's got plenty of coin and I'm guessing he's still one of the top tour earners with endorsements.  Also all kidding aside, that beautiful wife with washboard abs may be too much for him 🤣

Posted this is the “What happened to Hunter Mahan?” thread. Seems more fitting here. Said beautiful wife with washboard abs visual 😊 

9D0810DD-9E2F-489A-8C70-1DDA11F8EAA3.jpeg

Edited by TIScape
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TIScape said:

Going on memory here. Too lazy right now to Google. I believe in the last month or two he’s changed iron heads a couple times, went to graphite in the irons, now back to steel and changed putters... 

Wait, so he's a GolfWRX member?

• Haha 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

I’ll say it again.. Rickie Fowler was the best thing for kids at a PGA Tournament for many many years. He signed for hours after his round. Kids wore the hat or orange and connected with him. Even though recently I’ve seen him visibly frustrated with the putter on tv, he was a flatliner for 8 years really. I played golf with that same demeanor, and I heard many times from the older guys that I had the right temperament for golf. That always gave me a boost. Rickie was a really good role model on the course for the kids. I have absolutely zero fake internet issues with his not winning more often. As long as he’s happy, everybody should be cool with the person and golfer he is. Unless........he hits a fire hydrant any time soon........ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

Looks like he might be headed to another MC. He's really dropped quickly. 

Since he's 4 over after 6 holes, that's safe money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

37 minutes ago, OBbogey5 said:

I’ll say it again.. Rickie Fowler was the best thing for kids at a PGA Tournament for many many years. He signed for hours after his round. Kids wore the hat or orange and connected with him. Even though recently I’ve seen him visibly frustrated with the putter on tv, he was a flatliner for 8 years really. I played golf with that same demeanor, and I heard many times from the older guys that I had the right temperament for golf. That always gave me a boost. Rickie was a really good role model on the course for the kids. I have absolutely zero fake internet issues with his not winning more often. As long as he’s happy, everybody should be cool with the person and golfer he is. Unless........he hits a fire hydrant any time soon........ 

No doubt he’s a great human being and a wonderful role model. I love watching him play. The game of golf is better when he’s playing well. It’s just news for a golf fan when a high profile, perennial top ranked player, suddenly starts missing cuts and is in big time danger of not qualifying for the Masters. It’s going to raise flags and get discussed. I’m sure none of us hope he’s not happy and I can guarantee you he’s not happy with the golfer he currently is. As for the fake news about why he’s not winning??? It’s speculation that getting married for the 1st time and suddenly having a new priority in ones life would cause him to get distracted and lose his game. Also any excuse to post a pic and look at Allison is just fine by me! 🤤 

• Like 1

Rickie's fall coinciding with his courting of and marriage to his wife is not a coincidence. Much of the time he spent practicing he now spends with his wife. Not blaming either of them for anything its just obvious. Women soak up your time, and if you don't set aside some time for them, you don't have a woman anymore lol. 

If Fowler wants to be back on top, he must walk my path... that of the Incel. Although in his case it would be "volcel" 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don't understand why everyone is aligning his fall with his marriage. Yes they started at similar times BUT he was with Alison for some time before they got married. I personally think once the wedding was over he decided to take steps to take his game to the next level and currently he is right in the middle of the transition stage and it's not going all to plan. Heck what swing change ever does. 

1 minute ago, rkelso184 said:

I don't understand why everyone is aligning his fall with his marriage. Yes they started at similar times BUT he was with Alison for some time before they got married. I personally think once the wedding was over he decided to take steps to take his game to the next level and currently he is right in the middle of the transition stage and it's not going all to plan. Heck what swing change ever does. 

D@#K Faldo and plenty of others have made swing changes with success.

2 hours ago, rkelso184 said:

Didn’t Reed’s win at the Farmers come soon after a swing change? 

Edited by TIScape

2 hours ago, TIScape said:

Didn’t Reed’s win at the Farmers come soon after a swing change? 

That's 1. How many have made changes and it not result in instant wins? None of us know what actually has happened but I just feel putting it down to marriage is a bit extreme. If anything when he first got with Alison his game should of fell apart as everyone knows the first 3 months of a relationship are the wildest lol. 

3 minutes ago, rkelso184 said:

That's 1. How many have made changes and it not result in instant wins? None of us know what actually has happened but I just feel putting it down to marriage is a bit extreme. If anything when he first got with Alison his game should of fell apart as everyone knows the first 3 months of a relationship are the wildest lol. 

Exactly why I said in my post that I was purely speculating and looking for any excuse to post a pic of his gorgeous wife 😊 Could def be a coincidence. 
And not that my opinion means squat. If it is the result of a swing change issue. Changing equipment like underwear isn’t helping. 

Edited by TIScape

Newly married. Don't know if he ever lived with a woman before. Whole new life.......

If I remember correctly, his grandfather, who he was very close to, passed away fairly recently.

I lost my parents within the past 2 years and it's really messed with the mental side of my game. I really lack focus at times, and not because I'm thinking about them, per se.

Alot of what I see him doing, especially the drop in putting, seems to be mental. 

He's a pro with a unique swing, but I'm not seeing big changes in that. 

Cobra keeps handing him new drivers and irons every year. That could be part of it as well. ( I know, BLASPHEMY here on works )

I hope he turns it around, because like Speith, he's good for golf.

Edited by RainShadow

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

On 2/12/2021 at 4:14 PM, TIScape said:

Posted this is the “What happened to Hunter Mahan?” thread. Seems more fitting here. Said beautiful wife with washboard abs visual 😊 

9D0810DD-9E2F-489A-8C70-1DDA11F8EAA3.jpeg

@TIScape Off-topic... but that Pole she's holding = Looks like a Graphite Design TourAD "BB"!
🥇🧗‍♀️🤸🏻‍♂️🦯🏃‍♀️💨 🙂 

Important event this week if he’s going to build any momentum into the Florida swing and make it into Augusta. Making the cut and getting four competitive rounds in could go a long way. The strength of field and strength of course stand in his way. Both more stout than last week. 

They referenced “The Riv” in the first season of Entourage. If Vinny Chase can make birdies out there so can Ricky. If not, maybe trade places. 

On 12/7/2020 at 10:41 AM, Abh159 said:

To me, Rickie's story is all that different from Sergio or Adam Scott's. All three were very hot commodities when they first came out on tour. They all had high levels of acclaim and endorsements, and they all won the Player's Championship in their mid-late 20s.

Scott and Sergio have had successful careers and both eventually won a major. I see Rickie's career following a similar path. I think he'll win a major or two one day, and will probably win several more tour tournaments as well. 

I'm not sure about a major, but I'm sure he breaks out of the slump and wins another tourney or few before he hangs it up. 

5 minutes ago, cleverprimate24 said:

I'm not sure about a major, but I'm sure he breaks out of the slump and wins another tourney or few before he hangs it up. 

I’m on the fence here. Mickelson was 33 and Scott 32 so there’s technically time, putting aside differences in the talent and game.

Edited by Draw Driver