2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rickie Fowler is a cautionary tale in overexposing a superstar

BlackDiamondPar5

9 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

While this thread is about Fowler there are some interesting parallels to YJS (sorry I love that acronym even though he's not so young anymore). 

Spieth's issues have been dismissed as mental (right or wrong). Whereas we don't seem to know what's going on with Rickie.

Interestingly both of them started their tumble around similar life events.  Now I'll be the first to say that correlation does not equal causation but as humans we only have some much bandwidth.  When something takes up more time we tend to spend less time on other things.  We've all experienced it.  The first really serious girlfriend in school and grades may suffer. Get too involved in sports and grades may suffer.  Get too involved with work and your marriage may suffer etc.  Then there are external factors--- 2020 was tough for most of us. Maybe 2020 brought on private family issues for Rickie. We don't know.  It's just a discussion about a guy I like and wish the best for. If he said, "honestly guys I just don't want to spend as much time on my game anymore"  I'd say good for you Rickie, you need to manage your time as you see fit. 

But back to the charts-- Whether it be a chart on company revenue, profit, production output, productivity or a golfers ranking, when I look at charts that looks like this I'd ask, "What happened?"

Well it's sorta in the article above on when/why this might have started happening.

6 hours ago, Nard_S said:

I think Faldo is a bit jealous of how popular Fowler is. Guy is easily liked, he's really hard to hate and that could never be said of Sir Nick. 

He issued an apology and actually said just that. He said his comment was probably born out of a little bit of jealousy because he only has one commercial. And is that one commercial the one for the shoes that claim to increase your swing speed and lower your handicap? 😳

• Haha 2

For a long time, Rickie always was close, but just didn't finish enough. He had that great year when he had all those high finishes in majors. He won a Players. Played good enough to be a fixture on Ryder and President's Cup teams. Made a ton of money, and was on tv all the time. I just don't understand why a guy with a really good career would want to change a swing that has achieved so much. I think the winning would have come if he just stayed the path. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

Honestly having a hard time thinking anyone  should take life advice from a guy who’s own life has spiraled to the point that he’s marrying a former stripper.  

Nothing like a little righteousness in the morning.

• Like 2

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

31 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

So over Nicky Faldo, acting like the voice of sagged wisdom.  Honestly having a hard time thinking anyone  should take life advice from a guy who’s own life has spiraled to the point that he’s marrying a former stripper.  

He is?!

Welly welly welly well! He’s a saucy one, that Sir Nick ; )

1C8469D8-ED23-4CB7-A569-9436EDEFA788.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 7:40 AM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

While this thread is about Fowler there are some interesting parallels to YJS (sorry I love that acronym even though he's not so young anymore). 

Spieth's issues have been dismissed as mental (right or wrong). Whereas we don't seem to know what's going on with Rickie.

Interestingly both of them started their tumble around similar life events.  Now I'll be the first to say that correlation does not equal causation but as humans we only have some much bandwidth.  When something takes up more time we tend to spend less time on other things.  We've all experienced it.  The first really serious girlfriend in school and grades may suffer. Get too involved in sports and grades may suffer.  Get too involved with work and your marriage may suffer etc.  Then there are external factors--- 2020 was tough for most of us. Maybe 2020 brought on private family issues for Rickie. We don't know.  It's just a discussion about a guy I like and wish the best for. If he said, "honestly guys I just don't want to spend as much time on my game anymore"  I'd say good for you Rickie, you need to manage your time as you see fit. 

But back to the charts-- Whether it be a chart on company revenue, profit, production output, productivity or a golfers ranking, when I look at charts that looks like this I'd ask, "What happened?"

image.png.fa9d8f525518c5a2bfe5f5f019bb4cf0.png

Lol.  Very compelling evidence.  Well done.  In fact, after seeing that chart, I don't think we have to ask "what happened" anymore.

8 hours ago, TIScape said:

He issued an apology and actually said just that. He said his comment was probably born out of a little bit of jealousy because he only has one commercial. And is that one commercial the one for the shoes that claim to increase your swing speed and lower your handicap? 😳

I think Nick tries & wants to be more liked more these days. If he said those things in a conversation with a twinge of humor, it would work. But in dialect of Twitter, it falls a bit flat. My guess is that Faldo has watched Fowler botch so many majors with poor game management that he just has had enough. Ricky needs a sport psychologist, not new shafts or a new coach. When he was top tier, in contention, he needed to behave more like Faldo and not a reckless motocross kid from middle America. 

1 hour ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

Wait, you guys have girlfriends?

Yes but we dont all talk about it.

(it's nothing to do with not being boastful, i just don't want my wife to find out about my girlfriends)

• Haha 4

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

The USGA and R&A agree that saying "Correlation doesn't equal causation" is a two stroke penalty.

Haha you're right!  I should say "necessarily equal" or "imply."  I took the lazy way. Kind of like kicking a ball away from a staked tree instead of doing a proper drop. But this is a casual conversation, kinda like a casual round 🙂

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5

7 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Yes but we dont all talk about it.

(it's nothing to do with not being boastful, i just don't want my wife to find out about my girlfriends)

Read it again....they were all saying they had ex-girlfriends.  😆

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

On 3/4/2021 at 8:40 AM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

image.png.fa9d8f525518c5a2bfe5f5f019bb4cf0.png

Yup, I know a lot of dudes with this graph! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Honestly, I wish more public figures would just tell the truth about their personal situations and motivations. 

Rickie could say "You know, to be honest, I've gotten more out of golf than I ever imagined was possible, and it just keeps giving. I'd love to have the fire that drives me to go after the Grand Slam but it's not in me. I have plenty of money, I love my gorgeous wife and I love the life that golf has allowed me to live. If I never won another event on Tour I'd still sleep well."

J.J. Watt could say "Of course I'd rather go to a team that can win a Super Bowl, but other things are important too. I like playing in a dome. I like perfect winter weather. I like the people running the Cardinals and they like me. I'll be as happy here as I was in Houston even if I never go to a Super Bowl as a player." 

They don't say these things because we buy into the idea that everyone is super-motivated to get to the top, even when getting to the middle is a damn nice career. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

Honestly, I wish more public figures would just tell the truth about their personal situations and motivations. 

Rickie could say "You know, to be honest, I've gotten more out of golf than I ever imagined was possible, and it just keeps giving. I'd love to have the fire that drives me to go after the Grand Slam but it's not in me. I have plenty of money, I love my gorgeous wife and I love the life that golf has allowed me to live. If I never won another event on Tour I'd still sleep well."

J.J. Watt could say "Of course I'd rather go to a team that can win a Super Bowl, but other things are important too. I like playing in a dome. I like perfect winter weather. I like the people running the Cardinals and they like me. I'll be as happy here as I was in Houston even if I never go to a Super Bowl as a player." 

They don't say these things because we buy into the idea that everyone is super-motivated to get to the top, even when getting to the middle is a damn nice career. 

I would love that too, but the fans feel that they are owed something by showing up to watch these guys and gals play a game. 

Rickie has fallen victim to trying to "get better" as Speith did three years ago.  As a consequence his two most important clubs have gotten worse. This week he is averaging 304 yds off the tee but only hitting 50% of his fairways. His strokes gained putting is an astounding -2.8 strokes per round. No one can score with those stats.

This is not a slam as I am a huge Fowler fan. Sam Snead used to say "you gotta dance with who brung 'ya", meaning stick with what worked before.  Rickie has to return to playing golf and not playing "golf swing'.  My old friend Mike McGraw was his coach at Okla. State and told ne an interesting story when I payed him a visit in Stillwater.  Mike had the team at an event in Florida. Rickies was hitting 6-irons on the range like Hogan, dead straight, with superb distance control.  One of Leadbetter's guys wandered over and asked if he could speak with Rickie. Mike said:

"Keep hitting 6-irons Rickie". 

The message? "You gotta dance with who brung 'ya."

• Like 1

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

41 minutes ago, BNGL said:

I would love that too, but the fans feel that they are owed something by showing up to watch these guys and gals play a game. 

Yeah it would be an interesting social science experiment to see the reaction. Fans tend to think pro athletes are some different kind of species where happiness in their job, or liking the city they are in are all things that don't matter. I posted earlier in the thread, but Rickie even at golf, would be comparable to one of the top 50-100 CEOs in the country, he's enormously successful. But we don't say the CEO of a 5B company is a loser because he doesn't want to run Google. It's weird

On another related note, i remember when Lebron left Cleveland and went to Miami, and everyone was dumping on him. A really good sports writer at the time was ranting and said something like "Hey if you were 26 and could live in Miami or Cleveland...where would you live? Maybe hes just a guy in his mid twenties that has an opportunity to move to Miami for work, you wouldn't do that?" Looking at it that way, it all seemed so simple

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

Yeah it would be an interesting social science experiment to see the reaction. Fans tend to think pro athletes are some different kind of species where happiness in their job, or liking the city they are in are all things that don't matter. I posted earlier in the thread, but Rickie even at golf, would be comparable to one of the top 50-100 CEOs in the country, he's enormously successful. But we don't say the CEO of a 5B company is a loser because he doesn't want to run Google. It's weird

On another related note, i remember when Lebron left Cleveland and went to Miami, and everyone was dumping on him. A really good sports writer at the time was ranting and said something like "Hey if you were 26 and could live in Miami or Cleveland...where would you live? Maybe hes just a guy in his mid twenties that has an opportunity to move to Miami for work, you wouldn't do that?" Looking at it that way, it all seemed so simple

The 'Decision Show' had a bit to do with how folks in Cleveland reacted to James leaving town for better weather and better guys to play with.  'Not one, not two, not three'...

It is kind of funny how people react to a superstar's decisions for instance when KD left OKC they hated him there but when he left the DUBS nobody seemed upset and wished him well.  I guess that the two finals MVPs helped a bit...  I actually like the current free agency system better then the old days when guys were forced to stay with the same team unless the team decided to trade them.  Makes the off season a lot more interesting anyway.