2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New Swing Speed Trainer - MaxSwingSpeed

1 hour ago, dsmil said:

Great, thanks for the answer!  I'm going to sell the Superspeed sticks that I just got and go with this.  I'm just hoping for another one of those promotions before I pull the trigger.

My pleasure and glad it helped! I'm always trying to run promotions as often as I can. If you're not already following on Instagram and/or signed up for emails via the website please do as those are the first places promos get announced. 

https://www.instagram.com/maxswingspeed/

https://www.maxswingspeed.com/

Thanks!

www.maxswingspeed.com

44 minutes ago, vietnameeh said:

I caved and got a swing speed radar.

Its nice to see numbers when training kind of like logging reps and weight in the gym i guess

The speed radars definitely help keep track of things and you're right it's just like having a log book in the gym which I know has always helped me progress training wise.  

www.maxswingspeed.com

OK, weekly update, I am now 4 weeks into the program and started week 5 today.  As a quick recap, my average of 5 driver swings at the beginning of each week were 99 MPH, 101 MPH, 106 MPH and 105 MPH.  Nice little jump this week to 108 MPH, so have picked up about 9 MPH since the start.  My goal was to get to 110 MPH, so getting a little closer.  This product is well built, easy to use and produces results!

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

Eager for mine to arrive, as my own haphazard, brute force approach has stalled out at around 99mph.  Still up from the 94mph I was at a couple of months ago, but I think i probably need a more structured approach at this point.  

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

2 hours ago, pgetzen said:

OK, weekly update, I am now 4 weeks into the program and started week 5 today.  As a quick recap, my average of 5 driver swings at the beginning of each week were 99 MPH, 101 MPH, 106 MPH and 105 MPH.  Nice little jump this week to 108 MPH, so have picked up about 9 MPH since the start.  My goal was to get to 110 MPH, so getting a little closer.  This product is well built, easy to use and produces results!

Great work and great progress. Thanks so much for sharing how it's been going. 110 mph seems very achievable for you and I'm excited to hear about it. Really happy you're enjoying the trainer.

www.maxswingspeed.com

got the swing speed radar and created a little spreadsheet like the one posted before

I am still doing week 1-2 training 

I'll use this as the baseline for moving forward, but in that session alone I gained 4mph swingspeed from start to finish with my driver.

108 MPH to 112 MPH. Still a little sad lol (my ego is hurt as I was in the 120s in college which isn't that long ago)

but definitely exciting to see what we can build up to. Its nice to put a feel to a number too. Some swings I thought felt really fast were sometimes not as fast as I thought and some slower swings put out good numbers.

• Like 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

tomorrow will be my last speed training session for the first 2 weeks. in the first 2 weeks of speed training (combined with weight training and cardio) i've seen some remarkable gains. here's a video of my last swing from earlier tonight, which also happens to be the best stock 3-wood i've recorded so far: (edit: new one from feb 8th)

i'm really encouraged by the results so far and look forward to continuing the program. there have been more than a few nights when i've been exhausted after work but still manage to get in a speed workout. not all workouts produce great immediate results, but i think having a bit of sticktuitiveness is really beneficial for this type of program. the trend is definitely up over the past two weeks, even though there have been dips along the way. anyway, really looking forward to the next two weeks! keep grinding! 🦾🦾🦾

Edited by hoselpalooza
video update
  • Like 1

Week One, Day One:

First, a little background...61 y/o, 6'1", 196 lbs, in reasonable condition, 5 days a week in the gym focusing on strength and flexibility, cardio is not my thing.  I have a corkscrew for a back, limiting my range of motion.  My back swing is Tony Finau/Jon Rahm short, but making a real effort to coax a few more inches there.  Hips do not want to let me make a full turn through the ball.

Received my trainer yesterday, eagerly unboxed it, and satisfied with the quality, I threw it in my bag.  Up at 6am, this morning, headed for the simulator (HD Golf) for my first training session.  Did a full bag warmup, then did a 5 swing driver average to establish a base.  Clubhead speed to start was an abysmal 93.8 mph.  (Important for my own sanity to note, these were controlled swings that all resulted in playable balls, as opposed to the max effort swings I'd been doing over the last month or so.)

Although tempted to jump ahead a couple of weeks, I did the Week One protocol as recommended.  (Turns out, I'm really bad at swinging from the opposite side.)  Did another 5 swing average with my driver afterward, and came in at 93.98 mph, so no change there, which was probably not unexpected.

So, while I was disappointed with the low SS's to start with, I'm excited that there's nowhere to go up up...will report back in one week.

Callaway 58* PM Grind 19

16 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

tomorrow will be my last speed training session for the first 2 weeks. in the first 2 weeks of speed training (combined with weight training and cardio) i've seen some remarkable gains. here's a video of my last swing from earlier tonight, which also happens to be the best stock 3-wood i've recorded so far:

i'm really encouraged by the results so far and look forward to continuing the program. there have been more than a few nights when i've been exhausted after work but still manage to get in a speed workout. not all workouts produce great immediate results, but i think having a bit of sticktuitiveness is really beneficial for this type of program. the trend is definitely up over the past two weeks, even though there have been dips along the way. anyway, really looking forward to the next two weeks! keep grinding! 🦾🦾🦾

That's really great work hosel, I'm excited for you and your progress and really happy to be able to follow along as you work on building more speed into your swing. 

Thanks for sharing and keep it up, being consistent with the training is definitely key and you seem to have that part nailed. 👍😎💪

• Like 1

www.maxswingspeed.com

If anyone is comparing these to Superspeed or want to use Superspeed protocols, I believe that using 2 weights (260) will feel lighter than the green (light) Superspeed stick, 3 weights (310g) will feel similar to the blue (medium) Superspeed stick, and 4 weights (360g) will feel similar to the red (heavy) Superspeed stick.  This is an educated guess based on how the shorter length of these will affect the swingweight of these vs. the 45" Superspeed sticks.

The junior Superspeeds are a similar length to this so using 1, 2, and 3 weights will be the most comparable for them.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

3 hours ago, dsmil said:

If anyone is comparing these to Superspeed or want to use Superspeed protocols, I believe that using 2 weights (260) will feel lighter than the green (light) Superspeed stick, 3 weights (310g) will feel similar to the blue (medium) Superspeed stick, and 4 weights (360g) will feel similar to the red (heavy) Superspeed stick.  This is an educated guess based on how the shorter length of these will affect the swingweight of these vs. the 45" Superspeed sticks.

The junior Superspeeds are a similar length to this so using 1, 2, and 3 weights will be the most comparable for them.

I’ve looked at both protocols  and have to wonder if either is more effective than the other, or whether they’re just different ways to skin the same cat.  I’m curious because in prior discussions on this board about over/underspeed training it was pretty much agreed that the training was most effective when the heavier and lighter clubs where within a certain weight percentage of a standard club.  (I think this was true of baseball as well.)  Beyond that the skills don’t translate.

Superspeed seems closer to this model, in general, but Max Swing Speed offers a flexibility that might also be helpful.  

I’m sure we’ll get the Max perspective here, since he’s been super responsive, but I’d like to hear the Superspeed side as well.

• Like 1

Callaway 58* PM Grind 19

2 hours ago, stryper said:

I’ve looked at both protocols  and have to wonder if either is more effective than the other, or whether they’re just different ways to skin the same cat.  I’m curious because in prior discussions on this board about over/underspeed training it was pretty much agreed that the training was most effective when the heavier and lighter clubs where within a certain weight percentage of a standard club.  (I think this was true of baseball as well.)  Beyond that the skills don’t translate.

Superspeed seems closer to this model, in general, but Max Swing Speed offers a flexibility that might also be helpful.  

I’m sure we’ll get the Max perspective here, since he’s been super responsive, but I’d like to hear the Superspeed side as well.

I'm thinking that they do basically the same thing, but with different total weights to align with the different club lengths.  If we ignore the 210g and 410g options and stick to the middle 3 (260,310,360), I think that the swingweight and effort required will line up with Superspeed, with the exception of the 260g option feeling a bit lighter (b/c of length) than Superspeed's light option (255g).  But I'm starting to become convinced that the shorter length is good because it allows us to do a driver-like swing without worrying as much about hitting the ground.  With the 45 inch Superspeed, you'd have to actively swing in a different way so you aren't close to hitting the ground.  Even more so, Sasho Mackenzie just came out with a swing speed product at hybrid length, and I trust that he thoroughly studied every option.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

3 hours ago, stryper said:

You bring up interesting points for sure and as with most training programs there are nets that are cast to benefit the most people and caveats/outliers that trend away from the majority of data. From my research, testing and assumptions Superspeed definitely falls within the range of having the clubs closer to the total weight of a "standard" club. My trainer does that too with the added benefit of being lighter and heavier for a few reasons.

First, the adjustability allowed me to design one product for everyone, I did all of the initial testing with my 8 year old niece, myself (40 year old male) and my parents (65 male and 70 female) before settling on length and weight ranges . After the initial tests were finished is when I reached out to my golfing friends to act as my guinea pigs. 

Second, there is research that can confirm and contradict the different weight ranges so having the adjustability to cover all the bases felt like a good place to be with my trainer. 

Third, the heaviest weight not only allows you work on the speed protocols but it is very much in line with heavy weight warm up tools that a lot of us have tried in the past. Also, the heavy weight does allow one to feel a "natural" plane position and put the trainer in that position because of how the human brain/body can instinctively find a balance point for something we are moving through space (especially if it's going to be over our heads). 

• Like 2

www.maxswingspeed.com

1 hour ago, dsmil said:

I'm thinking that they do basically the same thing, but with different total weights to align with the different club lengths.  If we ignore the 210g and 410g options and stick to the middle 3 (260,310,360), I think that the swingweight and effort required will line up with Superspeed, with the exception of the 260g option feeling a bit lighter (b/c of length) than Superspeed's light option (255g).  But I'm starting to become convinced that the shorter length is good because it allows us to do a driver-like swing without worrying as much about hitting the ground.  With the 45 inch Superspeed, you'd have to actively swing in a different way so you aren't close to hitting the ground.  Even more so, Sasho Mackenzie just came out with a swing speed product at hybrid length, and I trust that he thoroughly studied every option.

You're on the money in regards to length and weights. As I mentioned before the length studies I did showed no real benefit to having the added length and in some cases became too unwieldy at the heavier weights for some testers.

Plus, and I'll keep saying it because it was so important to me, the adjustability allows an entire family to use one trainer. Obviously from the biz side of things a company would rather sell 3 units over 1 to a family but golf is expensive enough and if via design I can have my product used by everyone I'll take that any day. 

I can't argue with the success of Superspeed and think they really brought the overspeed training concept to the forefront in golf. I definitely made it a point to accomplish the same task in a different way. One that I thought was less expensive and more convenient to use while offering all of the speed gains. Sasho Mackenzie is another inspiration as his published studies are amazing!

• Like 1

www.maxswingspeed.com

On 2/6/2021 at 3:38 PM, vietnameeh said:

got the swing speed radar and created a little spreadsheet like the one posted before

I am still doing week 1-2 training 

I'll use this as the baseline for moving forward, but in that session alone I gained 4mph swingspeed from start to finish with my driver.

108 MPH to 112 MPH. Still a little sad lol (my ego is hurt as I was in the 120s in college which isn't that long ago)

but definitely exciting to see what we can build up to. Its nice to put a feel to a number too. Some swings I thought felt really fast were sometimes not as fast as I thought and some slower swings put out good numbers.

Looking forward to seeing how the speed radar helps you track data as you work your way back up in speed. I'm still impressed with how far people move the needle speed wise when they commit to the training so it wouldn't shock me at all to see you back up close to the old numbers. Having patience can be brutal sometimes 😉 

Matching feel to real is such a great thing too! If I went off of feel alone I'd still think I have an upright swing when it couldn't be more flat, LOL.

• Like 1

www.maxswingspeed.com

3 hours ago, MaxSwingSpeed said:

You bring up interesting points for sure and as with most training programs there are nets that are cast to benefit the most people and caveats/outliers that trend away from the majority of data. From my research, testing and assumptions Superspeed definitely falls within the range of having the clubs closer to the total weight of a "standard" club. My trainer does that too with the added benefit of being lighter and heavier for a few reasons.

First, the adjustability allowed me to design one product for everyone, I did all of the initial testing with my 8 year old niece, myself (40 year old male) and my parents (65 male and 70 female) before settling on length and weight ranges . After the initial tests were finished is when I reached out to my golfing friends to act as my guinea pigs. 

Second, there is research that can confirm and contradict the different weight ranges so having the adjustability to cover all the bases felt like a good place to be with my trainer. 

Third, the heaviest weight not only allows you work on the speed protocols but it is very much in line with heavy weight warm up tools that a lot of us have tried in the past. Also, the heavy weight does allow one to feel a "natural" plane position and put the trainer in that position because of how the human brain/body can instinctively find a balance point for something we are moving through space (especially if it's going to be over our heads). 

Thank you for your response.  As an end user, I appreciate thought you’ve put into every aspect of the product.  

My initial impressions after one session were that the lightest weight might be too light, like a whiffleball bat relative to a regular baseball bat.  And the heaviest weight might be too heavy to move efficiently, especially off-handed, as in my case any hopes of correct swing mechanics were completely out of the question.  I trust that will get better over time, but for now, just wow. 😳

That said, I do see the heaviest weight being useful as a warmup tool, as you said, like a baseball doughnut.  But I also see it as an effective tool for finding balance in the swing, and also for the extra momentum it might provide for weight transfer and getting you where you need to go in the swing.  Overall, I think that’s a positive.

Tomorrow will be my second session.  I intend to play around with a couple of different feels, but otherwise I’ll be sticking with the Max protocol for now, though now I’m not sure you can’t really go wrong with either approach.

Again, thanks for weighing in. 

Callaway 58* PM Grind 19

Funny on all weights being too heavy comment, I’m debating getting two more weights, love loosening up with this bad boy

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

On 2/7/2021 at 7:35 AM, stryper said:

Week One, Day One:

First, a little background...61 y/o, 6'1", 196 lbs, in reasonable condition, 5 days a week in the gym focusing on strength and flexibility, cardio is not my thing.  I have a corkscrew for a back, limiting my range of motion.  My back swing is Tony Finau/Jon Rahm short, but making a real effort to coax a few more inches there.  Hips do not want to let me make a full turn through the ball.

Received my trainer yesterday, eagerly unboxed it, and satisfied with the quality, I threw it in my bag.  Up at 6am, this morning, headed for the simulator (HD Golf) for my first training session.  Did a full bag warmup, then did a 5 swing driver average to establish a base.  Clubhead speed to start was an abysmal 93.8 mph.  (Important for my own sanity to note, these were controlled swings that all resulted in playable balls, as opposed to the max effort swings I'd been doing over the last month or so.)

Although tempted to jump ahead a couple of weeks, I did the Week One protocol as recommended.  (Turns out, I'm really bad at swinging from the opposite side.)  Did another 5 swing average with my driver afterward, and came in at 93.98 mph, so no change there, which was probably not unexpected.

So, while I was disappointed with the low SS's to start with, I'm excited that there's nowhere to go up up...will report back in one week.

Don't feel bad. I'm the same age as you, but 5'6", 155 lbs and work out 3 times / week plus walk 18. At the range twice a week too. My first week with the trainer and I went from 90.3 mph to 91. Not too impressive.  I would have thought the first week is the easy gains. And this rate, I'll be lucky to sniff 95, which would  really bum me out.

• Like 1

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

15 hours ago, YMark said:

Don't feel bad. I'm the same age as you, but 5'6", 155 lbs and work out 3 times / week plus walk 18. At the range twice a week too. My first week with the trainer and I went from 90.3 mph to 91. Not too impressive.  I would have thought the first week is the easy gains. And this rate, I'll be lucky to sniff 95, which would  really bum me out.

Us little guys got this! we have to work twice as hard lol (same height and fatter than you lol)

Covid and shelter in place hit me hard gym wise. I too was 3-4 times week

then now no gym time, and barely doing home workouts. 10+mph lost in a year really hurts the ego and my game.

we will get there I really think this is a great tool. Best value for sure compared to what's out and what has come out 

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

17 hours ago, cardoustie said:

Funny on all weights being too heavy comment, I’m debating getting two more weights, love loosening up with this bad boy

My favorite thing about the super speed sticks I had was warming up before a round take the heavy stick and light stick with you do that little warm up protocol after some balls.... the bad thing was having to bring 2 stick with me in the bag or going back to the trunk because I hate when the clubs snag from being overfilled.

I like that the maxspeed is all in one. 

• Thanks 1

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Hey Mr. Max Swinger has anyone felt it's too light?  My buddy and I used the stick at the range last night and both thought it was way too light.  We're both par golfing bombers... who cares they say lol!

Can we order more weight and do you think its a good idear??  Thanks

Can't figure how to like my own posts

Just did my 2nd recorded session still on the week 1-2 phase

The donuts I ate this morning must have really did something. My speed was up on everything.

I always start the session by recording 3 driver swings then end on 3 driver swings after. last session I ended averaging 112mph (which really hurt my ego... i was thinking the swing speed radar read low... at least that's what I told myself).

This session I ended averaging 120mph (much better, I should add i started the session at 113mph so 1mph faster than last session to start)

so 8mph gain. but we could throw it up to radar variability and/or just feeling really good today. Just like the gym some days strong an ox, some days not so much LOL

• Like 2

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

39 minutes ago, vietnameeh said:

The donuts I ate this morning must have really did something. My speed was up on everything.

I always start the session by recording 3 driver swings then end on 3 driver swings after. last session I ended averaging 112mph (which really hurt my ego... i was thinking the swing speed radar read low... at least that's what I told myself).

This session I ended averaging 120mph (much better, I should add i started the session at 113mph so 1mph faster than last session to start)

so 8mph gain. but we could throw it up to radar variability and/or just feeling really good today. Just like the gym some days strong an ox, some days not so much LOL

Finished week one, day two this morning myself.  Didn’t formally record anything, but pre-protocol swings were in the 95-97 range, post-protocol swings were in the 98-100 range.  That’s up ~6mph from my day one numbers.  But as you say, I’m not sure if day one was just a weak/slow day, or if these gains are real.  I’ll post an official progress report on Sunday.

i mentioned in an earlier post that I would play with some different feels in my sessions, as I had some concerns about the heaviest weight relative to overspend training.  One of those feelings was to allow the inertia of the heaviest weight to help me get to my lead side.  And to me that was the biggest takeaway from today: it did.

So while it’s waaaay early to come to any conclusions, if at the end of the program all I’ve gained is a better weight shift, then I’ll be more than satisfied.  

More to follow. 🏌️

• Like 2

Callaway 58* PM Grind 19

7 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

Hey Mr. Max Swinger has anyone felt it's too light?  My buddy and I used the stick at the range last night and both thought it was way too light.  We're both par golfing bombers... who cares they say lol!

Can we order more weight and do you think its a good idear??  Thanks

I've only had one person so far say they felt it was too light and via testing data the heaviest weight was set to provide the widest margin of benefit to as many users as possible.

It wasn't designed to have more weights added so I can't say whether or not it would be a good or bad idea or whether or not trying to swing more weight would be good or bad for the user or the shaft itself.

Even a powerlifting golfer can benefit from swinging it in it's current weight range as speed training isn't necessarily about how "strong" you are. For example, I can swing a whole hell of a lot faster than buddies at the gym that can bench 300+ pounds, does that mean the weight range is too light for me? or them? Based on data, I'd say no. 

Thanks for the question!

www.maxswingspeed.com

1 hour ago, vietnameeh said:

I'd like to take full credit but based on historical track records I'm pretty sure the donut is undefeated in providing extra clubhead speed 😜

Based on how your progressing so far, beyond just the over speed aspects of the training, the heavier weight swings are helping rejuvenate your movement and allowing you to "fire" your body like you did in the past. Better balance, a strengthening more flexible body and consistent work at swinging faster is looking good for you so far!

Congrats and let's hope the speed is there without the donuts, LOL. 💪 

• Like 1

www.maxswingspeed.com

50 minutes ago, stryper said:

Finished week one, day two this morning myself.  Didn’t formally record anything, but pre-protocol swings were in the 95-97 range, post-protocol swings were in the 98-100 range.  That’s up ~6mph from my day one numbers.  But as you say, I’m not sure if day one was just a weak/slow day, or if these gains are real.  I’ll post an official progress report on Sunday.

i mentioned in an earlier post that I would play with some different feels in my sessions, as I had some concerns about the heaviest weight relative to overspend training.  One of those feelings was to allow the inertia of the heaviest weight to help me get to my lead side.  And to me that was the biggest takeaway from today: it did.

So while it’s waaaay early to come to any conclusions, if at the end of the program all I’ve gained is a better weight shift, then I’ll be more than satisfied.  

More to follow. 🏌️

Thanks for the continued feedback and happy to see things are progressing and you're enjoying the trainer. I know I said it before but matching up feel to real is so great for us crazy golfers and having a proper weight shift is never going to be a bad thing whether your swinging like Hogan or Moe Norman. 

Really glad you're able to feel and see more than just the speed benefits from the trainer.

Looking forward to the updates!

• Like 1

www.maxswingspeed.com