2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

7 Wood or 3 Hybrid? Both around 20-22 Degrees

rickybooby25

For full swings a 7W is great choice. It will launch easier, fly higher, spin more, and stop quicker. Despite having a longer shaft length it's probably more forgiving due to the larger head and lower CG.

I choose to carry a hybrid because of its versatility. It's my go-to club for scrambling, punch shots to get back into play out of deep rough, and I find it so easy to shape around trees or other hazards. 

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

I've always been a 7 wood advocate. But A few years ago I swapped  the 7 wood for the forgotten Cobra OS 3-4 hybrid. I believe this was Cobra's last adjustable hybrid.

The Cobra OS hybrid just fit my eye. It's strikes me as a mini fairway. Sits perfectly between my 5 wood & 5 hybrid. It's the longest tenured club in my bag. Great off the tee or fairway. Even the Callaway super hybrid has not knocked it out of the bag. It's a club that just works for me. I even bought a backup in case something happens to my current one. If I hadn't found the Cobra I would still have a 7 wood in the bag.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

I might get a 7 wood to experiment with but I'm a hybrid guy all the way. Shorter and easier to control . Love using the hybrid for those tight lies around the green to bump and run.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Over the last few years I have been swapping clubs in and out of my bag on the top end trying to find the right ones for the job.

This year, with the help of Arccos data, I have finally found a set-up that works for me.

My typical ball flight is a slight draw and I tend to have a low to mid trajectory.  

What was difficult for me was to get a 200 yard club that would have a higher trajectory and allow me to carry hazards on par 5s and also be useful off the tee for longer par 3s.

I always struggled to hit fairway woods off the deck, but could hit them well off the tee.  Hybrids tended to exaggerate my draw into a hook and the ball flight was low and piercing.  Utility irons were even lower with lots of runout, but not much carry.

What is working for me?

After some shaft tweaks and loft adjustments I now have a Tour Edge EX10 16.5 degree 4 wood with Fujikura Fuel Red 60 Stiff shaft, a Tour Edge XCG7 21 degree 7 wood also with the same Fujikura Fuel shaft.

I dropped my Titleist 818 H1 21 and my Titleist TMB 4 iron.  Also dropped my Titleist AP3 5 & 6 Irons.

Replaced them with the Titleist 818 H1 25 degree hybrid with the swingfit cartridge in the fade setting and also the hosel in the fade setting.  Recently added a Tour Edge XCG7 28 degree hybrid, also with the Fujikura Fuel Red 60 shaft in Stiff.  Bent my AP3 7 iron one degree weak.

My gapping has improved.  I have gained Height and Carry.  I now have much more confidence in my set make up.  Also added a wedge on the other side to improve gapping there.

In our Men’s group in the last year, the 7 wood was by far the most purchased new club.  I would guess that 40-50 % of the regular players now have a 7 wood.

My Arccos smart range is 210 yards with it off the tee and 202 for approach shots after 135 shots tracked.  

Making these changes has had a big effect on my game.  It allowed me to reach all of my goals for this year.  Got my handicap down below 5 for the first time ever and had my best round ever 5 times this year, also broke 70 for the first time ever.

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour

17 hours ago, cardoustie said:

Too many guys have given up on 7w's because they tried them years ago when they were 23* ... 9 wood lofts today

Most all are around 20* .. same as the old 5w's and why you see so many pro's going 4w or 5w plus a 7w nowadays

It's funny, guys are going to 4w and 7w these days, which is the same as the 3w/4w combo you'd see 40 years ago.  Names of the clubs are the only difference.  🙂

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

21 hours ago, rickybooby25 said:

I'm having trouble choosing one over the other.  I currently have a Titleist 818 H2 21 degree hybrid and I want to experiment with a 7 wood.  Is a hybrid more versatile than a 7 wood or vice versa?  What do you guys think?

Theres no simple across the board answer.  It's all about your native trajectory and the courses you regularly play.

When I quit carrying a 1i or 2i (same club, depends on age of the set), I had a 5w (18*) I plugged into that slot.  I'm a fairly high trajectory player, and found I got better results with a Stage 2 Tour 3h in that loft slot. 

I expect it's similar in each loft slot in the bag, and each likely has to be evaluated on its own.

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I think the answer is, it depends...

Hybrids are generally better off the tee than 7w's but since they are generally longer heel to toe, they are not as effective out of thicker rough.

Ultimately, you must weigh your decision based on your game and the shots you need for the courses you generally play.

7w head become almost similar size to a hybrid, right? so the ultimate difference will be the lieº, sole width & toe shape etc. if sending a ball 'similar' distance, it's a debate of where you are playing, no?

so if we are in the range of handicaps that needa 'worry' about that very gapping—between 5w & 4i ish—3h seems a bit more practical solution as we are not gonna be always hitting fairway as occasional rough/hazard hitters.

for those golfers who can handle 200yd ish with no probs, whether it's a wood, hybrid or even iron wouldn't too much matter IMO. club choice should go with the characteristic of the courses they play*.

*one reason some times PGA pros change their bag config depending on the course they compete. i.e) TW's 5W & 2i. 

i see a debate of whether a wood or hybrid

1. often become to compare an apple to an orange

2. often become "i don't like brand A, been using brand B and my hybrid/wood is the best" sort. 

i carry a 18º hybrid, due to that that's the hardest distance i can handle in my game. ultimately 'forgiveness' to not-so-perfect shots—that we all know where a hybrid shines regardless where we hit the ball, no?

Edited by orangeology

__

DR Callie Epic Flash 💎💎💎 8.5º TC + House of Forged Ballistic LD-S

3W Royal Collection CV Pro 13° + LAGP House of Forged Tour Limited 70X 

5W PXG 0341X Proto 18º + LAGP HoF Platinum 70S 

HYB Royal Collection 505V BBD 18º + NS PRO 950FW X, PXG 0317X 21º + Fujikura Pro 95i Tour Spec X

DI Nike VFP #4 + KBS Tour HYB Proto 95X, Callie X Forged ‘18 #3 + Modus Tour 120X

IRONS Callie X Forged 2013 5-PW MMT 95S

WEDGES Scratch 8620 47º, 50º, 55º STI 60º, Edel 60º

PUTTERS Nike Method 001, Edel The "Gold" Brick, John Byron Winner Seven

20 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

The last hybrid I liked was the 2009 Rescue TP from TaylorMade. My most recent experiment was a 2020 Mizuno CLK. This was one of the better ones being that the lie angle is flatter than just about everyone else and it didn’t have a hard left miss in it. I played it with a Ventus Black 10tx. I think it’s just something about the way the CoG sits in a hybrid that doesn’t work for me. 

I decided on a TSi2 with a Ventus Red 9x. Just high, flat and straight with it. It’s standard at 21, and I’ll play it at C1 which is a little less loft and a little flat lie angle. 

I still carry the Rescue '09 TP TM 19* and 22*.  They were fairly flat compared to hybrids of now and shorter shafts.  I've been tempted twice to replace them with other hybrids, but I'm not sure there is a point for me.  They are perfect clubs between my 4 wood and 5 iron.  I'd consider the 7 wood maybe to get a little more distance, but I normally don't need that.  I know I can hit the 19* 205-210 carry.  4 wood is 225-230.  For me I rarely have that shot in between.  Great hybrid.

Sorry to go off topic a hair there.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert

3 minutes ago, BlackandJack said:

Does anyone ever see a difference in length between the 7 wood and the hybrid?

one big bible assumption in this forum is that: same loft = same distance regardless the shaft whether it's a rebar or gaspipe, 48" or 35". 

🙂

__

HYB Royal Collection 505V BBD 18º + NS PRO 950FW X, PXG 0317X 21º + Fujikura Pro 95i Tour Spec X

DI Nike VFP #4 + KBS Tour HYB Proto 95X, Callie X Forged ‘18 #3 + Modus Tour 120X

21 hours ago, rickybooby25 said:

I'm having trouble choosing one over the other.  I currently have a Titleist 818 H2 21 degree hybrid and I want to experiment with a 7 wood.  Is a hybrid more versatile than a 7 wood or vice versa?  What do you guys think?

Here is the problem you're going to find....there is such a variation in 7w's and hybrids - especially between makes and models of heads and then of course shafts too that it could get quite mind numbing.  

I would say start by trying as many of both types of clubs as possible to determine what you like and don't like for the respective heads (e.g. heel/toe length, clubhead depth front to back, clubface height, center of gravity positions, offset, sole shape, etc) then start working on shafts.

Also don't discredit driving irons, they could be useful too!

15 minutes ago, orangeology said:

one big bible assumption in this forum is that: same loft = same distance regardless the shaft whether it's a rebar or gaspipe, 48" or 35". 

🙂

Thanks for taking me to church. I'm a rookie here, broke 100 for the first time since high school last weekend after not touching a club for 12 years. 🙃

2 minutes ago, BlackandJack said:

Thanks for taking me to church. I'm a rookie here, broke 100 for the first time since high school last weekend after not touching a club for 12 years. 🙃

as a matter of fact, i was a bit sarc, kinda agreeing to your point. too many variables when we talk about different clubs, then most o' people just seem to focus on the loft as tendency. what do i know?

i learn a lot from here tho. welcome to the club brotha 🙂

__

7 minutes ago, BlackandJack said:

Welcome back to Club Golf.  🙂

I would add to orange's comment that the CG differences between a fwy wood and hybrid could, emphasis on could, produce differences in your shot results.  It's going to depend on your launch conditions, just as you would see with a driver fitting.  Or iron fitting.  

Edited by NRJyzr

I love my 7w because its easier to hit, more forgiving, higher launching and softer landing than the equivalent hybrid. 

With proper technique I’m still able to flight it down. I also find it better out of the rough. I mean, if you got a huge clump of grass behind the ball, its going to be hard shot no matter what club you use. With the 7 wood I feel like I can high cut it to land softer out of flyer lies. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 1:17 PM, dubbelbogey said:

To me, yes, a 3h is more versatile than a similarly lofted 7h. I attribute this mainly it having a shorter shaft and more upright lie and is therefore easier to manipulate in different situations especially deeper rough and variable lies.

Each player needs to set his own bag. That's the main reason I don't carry a 3H, the rough. I found a 3H only slightly easier to hit out of rough than a 3i (prior days).

dubble, you mentioned swing speed, and I think this is a big factor. The 3H seems to be the inflection point in hybrids. Not everyone can the hit the 3H other than off a tee.

I've used a 4W + 7W for a long time.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 12/7/2020 at 1:15 PM, rickybooby25 said:

I've had a 2 utility iron before, I just dont play enough to hit it consistently.  And I was finding out that I can't attack greens from 250 yards out if I were in the rough.

WOW - You must be a "+" gamer. 

I am in the low single digit arena and don't know many players in that category that have the accuracy and SS to attack greens from 250 out no less from the rough using a hybrid, much less a wood.  I, for one, use an iron to get back into the fairway.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

WOW - You must be a "+" gamer. 

I am in the low single digit arena and don't know many players in that category that have the accuracy and SS to attack greens from 250 out no less from the rough using a hybrid, much less a wood.  I, for one, use an iron to get back into the fairway.

Agree with Pepps here, only my buds +2 and better get greedy from 250 plus ... it’s art 

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

1 hour ago, cardoustie said:

Agree with Pepps here, only my buds +2 and better get greedy from 250 plus ... it’s art 

Haha okay maybe 240 out. I used to play in college! I don’t have the short game like I used to have but I still have the speed. I’ve just been experimenting with my bag setup like a true wrx’er haha

Current WITB

Driver: Titleist TSR3 (9 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus TR Black Patriot 6X (45")

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim Ti Tour Issue (15.4 @ 14.7) - Shaft: GD Tour AD XC-8 (43")

2 Utility: Srixon ZX Utility MKII (18 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX (40")

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-PW) - Shaft: Nippon Modus3 120TX

Wedges: Miura Forged Wedges (50, 56), Vokey Wedgeworks SM9 (60) - Shafts: Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge

Putter: LAB Mezz.1 (35 inches/69 degrees)

Grips: Golf Pride MCC Midsize 

Putter Grip: Press II 1.5

6 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Each player needs to set his own bag. That's the main reason I don't carry a 3H, the rough. I found a 3H only slightly easier to hit out of rough than a 3i (prior days).

dubble, you mentioned swing speed, and I think this is a big factor. The 3H seems to be the inflection point in hybrids. Not everyone can the hit the 3H other than off a tee.

I've used a 4W + 7W for a long time.

I would think it be way easier to hit hybrids out of the rough than a 3 iron. But hybrids versus fairway woods out of the rough is a tougher comparison

Current WITB

Driver: Titleist TSR3 (9 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus TR Black Patriot 6X (45")

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim Ti Tour Issue (15.4 @ 14.7) - Shaft: GD Tour AD XC-8 (43")

2 Utility: Srixon ZX Utility MKII (18 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX (40")

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-PW) - Shaft: Nippon Modus3 120TX

Wedges: Miura Forged Wedges (50, 56), Vokey Wedgeworks SM9 (60) - Shafts: Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge

Putter: LAB Mezz.1 (35 inches/69 degrees)

Grips: Golf Pride MCC Midsize 

Putter Grip: Press II 1.5