2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Cobra RadSpeed, RadSpeed XB drivers (in-hand look)

BAlberstadt

On 1/14/2021 at 7:29 PM, mtex22 said:

Yeah I spoke to my shop and they said it went from 1/15 to 1/22.

I heard Feb 12th now. 

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

Any updates to the availability for these?  Specifically, looking for the date we can expect it in shops for testing.  

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Not even a mention of rad anything on their main page at cobragolf.com. Have to get into the sub menu's just to find the rad stuff. That can't be good

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

Drivers usually show up on the sub menu once it's available for pre-order. No doubt they are having production issues, which is hardly a surprise given the fact we are still in a global pandemic. Logistics doesn't seem to be a strength for Cobra either. I had two separate orders for irons and a fairway that both came back wrong last year.  The fairway got so delayed I just bought the demo head in the shop. The big tour fairway might be my favorite 3 wood of all time, but it wasn't easy to get. The big 4 will have stronger supply chains and more volume to help overcome current challenges. None of this suggests that Cobra has a bad product. What Srixon is to irons, Cobra is to metal woods. Both punch above their weight with novel tech and top shelf performance at a lower price point. You are seeing similar delays to product rollout and backorders with all of the "second tier" golf companies like Mizuno, Srixon, Cobra etc. I'm still hoping to demo a RAD XB this weekend and put in an order if the numbers look good.  All signs still point to pre-orders on 1/22. 

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

Fully agree with cw1209, Cobra really does punch above it's weight for metal woods and I really like that they keep coming out with the Tour Length drivers. This year they made the decision to go to 46 inches for their RAD XB, obviously since it will show a distance increase at the shop but they still kept the Tour length at 44.5 inches. That means they have to design a head that can add 18g to it, so that the swingweight stays the same. Many golf companies don't do that and you're forced to do hot melt, lead tape or play it with a light SW. And the fact that they give a real shaft, not the like TM where they give you the Ventus without the Velocore...lol... just plain stupid. I figure at this point, all the heads are the same, and yeah, you might want something that lauches higher, like the XB or lower like the RAD, etc so the shafts are what I'm looking at. The Fuji Moto looks pretty good.

17 hours ago, moolman said:

Fully agree with cw1209, Cobra really does punch above it's weight for metal woods and I really like that they keep coming out with the Tour Length drivers. This year they made the decision to go to 46 inches for their RAD XB, obviously since it will show a distance increase at the shop but they still kept the Tour length at 44.5 inches. That means they have to design a head that can add 18g to it, so that the swingweight stays the same. Many golf companies don't do that and you're forced to do hot melt, lead tape or play it with a light SW. And the fact that they give a real shaft, not the like TM where they give you the Ventus without the Velocore...lol... just plain stupid. I figure at this point, all the heads are the same, and yeah, you might want something that lauches higher, like the XB or lower like the RAD, etc so the shafts are what I'm looking at. The Fuji Moto looks pretty good.

According to the order book the length is 45.5

I saw a report it was going to be 46 inches also until I saw the order book

Another website did a review of the XB and had the length at 45.75

I am not sure what is the actual length will be until the driver is in hand

https://pluggedingolf.com/cobra-radspeed-xb-driver-review/

12DCE425-D945-4B8C-AEA8-C54472BE6BD6.jpeg.3f10dd75b894d3e941bb448273b72707.jpeg

Edited by scott406

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

13 minutes ago, scott406 said:

According to the order book the length is 45.5

I saw a report it was going to be 46 inches also until I saw the order book

Another website did a review of the XB and had the length at 45.75

I am not sure what is the actual length will be until the driver is in hand

https://pluggedingolf.com/cobra-radspeed-xb-driver-review/

12DCE425-D945-4B8C-AEA8-C54472BE6BD6.jpeg.3f10dd75b894d3e941bb448273b72707.jpeg

These are specs for the Radspeed. Only model with front/back weight adjustability. Radspeed stock length is 45.5" with Arccos and 45.25" with standard grip. Rad XB and XD is 46" with Arccos and 45.75" with standard grip. Tour length is the same for all models. 

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

49 minutes ago, cw1209 said:

These are specs for the Radspeed. Only model with front/back weight adjustability. Radspeed stock length is 45.5" with Arccos and 45.25" with standard grip. Rad XB and XD is 46" with Arccos and 45.75" with standard grip. Tour length is the same for all models. 

Thanks for the clarification

• Like 1

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

7 hours ago, cz13X4 said:

I went 44.75 in xb. Wonder how they will get my sw to d4. Maybe lots of melt 

If you didn't get the Tour length model, you have to make sure you specify the Swingweight and have who you order from specify it exactly the swing weight you want.

They don't use hot melt. The driver has exchangeable weights. That's why I was saying that I appreciate that Cobra does that, we can just get heavier weights and not resort to lead tape. Most manufacturers if you ask for too short of a club just slap on the heaviest weight if you're lucky and won't do anything like hot melt, you're on your own. They're not a tour van...haha...

I wanted to get a SIM for example last year and I asked TM for a 44 or 44.5 inch shaft and they said they can't get it up to a D0, the biggest weight they had for the the sliding thing wasn't enough.

I ordered a Cobra F9 at 44 inches and since I didn't specify swing weight or call it the Tour length version. I got the regular weights and the swingweight came out really low. I had to call them and they mailed me the correct weights on the F9 which is and easy fix. It looks like the RAD driver has the weights that allow it and it does say in the order book that they can do tour length at 44.5 with a normal swingweight.

I specified d4 on my order at 44.75. I tried to get tour length weights in an f9 at 44.75 but they wouldn’t let me. Had to be 44.5. I asked for hotmelt and whether they do or not I’m not sure. Ping does it. I ordered an f8 3 wood in the past shorter and heavier and compared to other f8 heads, I swear they put melt in it. Who knows though. We will see when it arrives in the fall. 

Edited by cz13X4

49 minutes ago, cz13X4 said:

I specified d4 on my order at 44.75. I tried to get tour length weights in an f9 at 44.75 but they wouldn’t let me. Had to be 44.5. I asked for hotmelt and whether they do or not I’m not sure. Ping does it. I ordered an f8 3 wood in the past shorter and heavier and compared to other f8 heads, I swear they put melt in it. Who knows though. We will see when it arrives in the fall. 

Cobra will hand pick a heavier head for you, it wasn't hot melt. They did that for a 3 wood I wanted that I ordered, I wanted it a inch shorter and the could only add 4g from the weight, so they said they will try their best. I told them if it wasn't at least D0 I didn't want it. The guy said they went through and found the heaviest head and it worked. I checked and it was D0. So you did get a heavier head.

31 minutes ago, moolman said:

Cobra will hand pick a heavier head for you, it wasn't hot melt. They did that for a 3 wood I wanted that I ordered, I wanted it a inch shorter and the could only add 4g from the weight, so they said they will try their best. I told them if it wasn't at least D0 I didn't want it. The guy said they went through and found the heaviest head and it worked. I checked and it was D0. So you did get a heavier head.

Interesting. 

45 minutes ago, cz13X4 said:

I still see 1/22 on websites. You still see 2/12?

Pre Order should be open 1/22 but I think in store launch is 2/12.

I was able to demo both drivers and pre order in store but do not see anything online yet

Edited by mtex22
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mtex22 said:

Pre Order should be open 1/22 but I think in store launch is 2/12.

I was able to demo both drivers and pre order in store but do not see anything online yet

What did you think of the new drivers? Which one did you end up ordering?

On 1/19/2021 at 3:48 PM, DatSliceDoe said:

I think this is the best deal given the insane pricing of everyone else.

It's time for me to quit ignoring the reviews and get a Cobra. I had a Biocell that I loved and haven't given them a chance yet because marketing budgets must have gotten to me. It's time to give the company with solid performance and the fairest pricing in the market a chance. I'm a TM wood guy but I'm not going to spend $100 for arguably lesser performance. 

Edited by Tre4ISU

So Cobra's Insta says pre order is tomorrow. I am torn between the Rad Speed 10.5 set at 9.5 to help maintain spin or a 9 Rad XB. All the reviews I have seen have said the Rad Speed may be too low spinning on mishits. And a few reviews have the XB having a spin profile between the Rad Heavy Weight forward and Rad Heavy Weight back. All while having insane dispersion. 

1 minute ago, jayjay0808 said:

So Cobra's Insta says pre order is tomorrow. I am torn between the Rad Speed 10.5 set at 9.5 to help maintain spin or a 9 Rad XB. All the reviews I have seen have said the Rad Speed may be too low spinning on mishits. And a few reviews have the XB having a spin profile between the Rad Heavy Weight forward and Rad Heavy Weight back. All while having insane dispersion. 

GO GET FIT NEWBIE

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

1 hour ago, cw1209 said:

What did you think of the new drivers? Which one did you end up ordering?

So I spent like an hour hitting tsi2 vs sim 2 vs SPEEDZONE. They were all within a small margin for ball speed for me. I was most consistent with the TSI2 but had the highest ball speed with the Speedzone. The SIM2 was great but wow the head is so light compared to the TSI2 and SZ. After that test I was worn out and so damn hungry. On my way out I asked the guy when I could demo the Rad speed and he said oh you want to hit it? Visibly shaken but excited I said Yes! lol So he grabs the one in back and puts the shaft I was using with the SPEEDZONE on it. Granted I was tired I seemed to get more ball speed by 1mph with less effort. I asked him if he had the XB and he also let me hit that and also got similar ball speed but for some reason I had less spin. Like too low. Both heads were 10.5 so not sure why because that was supposed to be the higher launching and spinning. Anyways I will be ordering the standard 10.5. They felt identical to SPEEDZONE maybe a touch softer but looks incredible and seems to be hotter. I was hoping to have F9 feel but if I can gain some yards I can get over it lol! The Matte Black head is so nice vs the Gloss IMO. Good Luck!

Edited by mtex22
  • Like 2