2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Cobra RadSpeed, RadSpeed XB drivers (in-hand look)

BAlberstadt

54 minutes ago, mtex22 said:

So I spent like an hour hitting tsi2 vs sim 2 vs SPEEDZONE. They were all within a small margin for ball speed for me. I was most consistent with the TSI2 but had the highest ball speed with the Speedzone. The SIM2 was great but wow the head is so light compared to the TSI2 and SZ. After that test I was worn out and so damn hungry. On my way out I asked the guy when I could demo the Rad speed and he said oh you want to hit it? Visibly shaken but excited I said Yes! lol So he grabs the one in back and puts the shaft I was using with the SPEEDZONE on it. Granted I was tired I seemed to get more ball speed by 1mph with less effort. I asked him if he had the XB and he also let me hit that and also got similar ball speed but for some reason I had less spin. Like too low. Both heads were 10.5 so not sure why because that was supposed to be the higher launching and spinning. Anyways I will be ordering the standard 10.5. They felt identical to SPEEDZONE maybe a touch softer but looks incredible and seems to be hotter. I was hoping to have F9 feel but if I can gain some yards I can get over it lol! The Matte Black head is so nice vs the Gloss IMO. Good Luck!

Nice! I wanted matte in the xb so had to go with blue. Hopefully it looks nice in person. Did you think they were more stable? Like ping stable?

1 hour ago, cz13X4 said:

Nice! I wanted matte in the xb so had to go with blue. Hopefully it looks nice in person. Did you think they were more stable? Like ping stable?

I have never gamed Ping but I have gamed the Titleist TS3 all of 2019 and that was a very consistent driver for me. I am currently gaming the F9 which is also very consistent for me. I skipped the Speedzone series. Felt great testing but won't be able to answer questions until I game it real world. Will def let you know once I do.

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

1 hour ago, mtex22 said:

So I spent like an hour hitting tsi2 vs sim 2 vs SPEEDZONE. They were all within a small margin for ball speed for me. I was most consistent with the TSI2 but had the highest ball speed with the Speedzone. The SIM2 was great but wow the head is so light compared to the TSI2 and SZ. After that test I was worn out and so damn hungry. On my way out I asked the guy when I could demo the Rad speed and he said oh you want to hit it? Visibly shaken but excited I said Yes! lol So he grabs the one in back and puts the shaft I was using with the SPEEDZONE on it. Granted I was tired I seemed to get more ball speed by 1mph with less effort. I asked him if he had the XB and he also let me hit that and also got similar ball speed but for some reason I had less spin. Like too low. Both heads were 10.5 so not sure why because that was supposed to be the higher launching and spinning. Anyways I will be ordering the standard 10.5. They felt identical to SPEEDZONE maybe a touch softer but looks incredible and seems to be hotter. I was hoping to have F9 feel but if I can gain some yards I can get over it lol! The Matte Black head is so nice vs the Gloss IMO. Good Luck!

Nice! Thanks for the review. For me, F9 is the gold standard for feel off the face with a driver. Wood bat solid. Still as long as anything out there, but the misses really hurt me a couple times a round. Off center stability could be better. Most of the online reviews seem to be testing the radspeed with the weight back, which suggests it is very low spin. I think people will find a pretty significant drop in spin from SZ Extreme to Rad XB too. Seems like they addressed the spin issues with SZ and F9. Will certainly try both radspeed and XB. Actually prefer the gloss finish so it matches the SZ Big Tour which isnt leaving the bag 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

3 hours ago, cw1209 said:

What did you think of the new drivers? Which one did you end up ordering?

I just placed my order:

RadSpeed 10.5 Matte Black w/ RDX Blue 60 to play 45 inches

RadSpeed 3 Fairway Matte Blue w/RDX Blue 60

RadSpeed 3 Hybrid w/ MMT Hybrid 80

Edited by mtex22
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mtex22 said:

I just placed my order:

RadSpeed 10.5 Matte Black w/ RDX Blue 60 to play 45 inches

RadSpeed 3 Fairway Matte Blue w/RDX Blue 60

RadSpeed 3 Hybrid w/ MMY Hybrid 80

Really want to see the fairway and if it sits flatter than my f8. The f8 has been impossible to replace. Also want to try the hybrid as I just sold my f9 but I ordered fli hi’s with my 921 which I quite like. 

On 12/8/2020 at 5:40 PM, evoviiiyou said:

I would think that based on the past couple years offerings, these are the real deal shafts.  Last year was the Atmos Tour Spec Blue and Black (not the water downed made for) Atmos (no tour spec) Black, Blue, and Red.

Also looks as if the Haz Smoke Blue RDX is the non ION Finish one, but legit as well.

Is this confirmed about the RDX Blue? 

9 hours ago, mtex22 said:

I have never gamed Ping but I have gamed the Titleist TS3 all of 2019 and that was a very consistent driver for me. I am currently gaming the F9 which is also very consistent for me. I skipped the Speedzone series. Felt great testing but won't be able to answer questions until I game it real world. Will def let you know once I do.

I'm also upgrading from the F9. I have a F9 10.5 head. I just need a forgiving head and the XB will be slightly, especially since F9 didn't have the xtreme or XB model. I ordered the XB 9.0 in peacoat, Tour length, with the Moto shaft. There's a place that does 20% off cobra, no tax in my neck of the woods, so $360, I couldn't resist.

• Like 3

Assuming the stock shafts (Fuji Motore and RDX Blue) are "the real deal" you can't really beat Cobra's offering and price. 

I have been playing the smoke yellow in the F9 and from what I read RDX Blue is an even better performing version of the counterbalanced offering from project x. I just hope its the one with HexTow. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mtex22 said:

Assuming the stock shafts (Fuji Motore and RDX Blue) are "the real deal" you can't really beat Cobra's offering and price. 

I have been playing the smoke yellow in the F9 and from what I read RDX Blue is an even better performing version of the counterbalanced offering from project x. I just hope its the one with HexTow. 

I’ve also heard it’s the real deal. Hopefully that’s true. I have been playing the regular yellow for a while. Been a great performing shaft. Can’t wait to try the blue. Wish we could order the pvd version. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cz13X4 said:

I’ve also heard it’s the real deal. Hopefully that’s true. I have been playing the regular yellow for a while. Been a great performing shaft. Can’t wait to try the blue. Wish we could order the pvd version. 

uhh just reviewed torque numbers with project x site and they do not match. Fuji Motore looks off too. Hope this is a misprint on Cobra's site. Can anyone confirm?

https://www.cobragolf.com/radspeed-driver

2 hours ago, mtex22 said:

uhh just reviewed torque numbers with project x site and they do not match. Fuji Motore looks off too. Hope this is a misprint on Cobra's site. Can anyone confirm?

https://www.cobragolf.com/radspeed-driver

I saw you asked them on insta. I am curious at their response. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, moolman said:

I wouldn't worry about it not matching. Cobra has been claiming that they are using the real deal shafts for the last few years and nobody has yet called them out on it being fake news...lol

The RDX blue has the HexTow logo at least, so if they are faking it, they are faking the logo....haha

that is good to know the logo is there lol thanks for confirmation

Just contacted my local shop to see if they have the Rad in to demo. They got the heads, but no shafts. Come on man 😑

• Haha 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

I got to see my rep today and hit the Rad and XB as well as the fairways. I was really leaning towards the Rad in 10.5 opened up and the Big Tour. 

I ended up getting perfect numbers with the XB and standard fairway... I took a good look at the shafts and he showed me their internal catalog... They screwed up the RDX Blue specs online, as they are the same specs as the RDX Black, it was a misprint. These are the real deal. I really wanted to end up with the RDX Blue in both but I was so incredibly consistent with the Motore X F1... makes sense as I have had some of my best years with Fujikura shafts in my woods. I did try the Ventus Black and Blue, and the Black was really good. However the F1 was so close I couldn't justify the extra $200+ per club

Put my order in today ended up with the below

Rad XB - 9* - Motore F1 6X -.25"

Rad 3 Wood - 14.5* Motore F1 7X - Std length

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cz13X4 said:

I saw you asked them on insta. I am curious at their response. 

just verified in store! Had to see for myself lol

E5E5DDC3-A78E-48AE-B7B7-ED4FA348571D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I tested a RAD Speed today. No LM, just on a driving range. All my guy had was a 10.5 so I set the shafts at -1.5, heavy weight in the back. I tried it with a bunch of shafts, Motore F1, Ventus blue, 3 or 4 Graphite Designs, Pro Orange, and the RDX blue. For me, the RDX blue was by far the best. F1 went right, Ventus blue felt loose (might need it tipped or maybe even an X) GD’s were okay but went too high, PO I missed both ways. RDX blue went medium high and straight. I’ve also hit the RDX black in a SIM2, and TSI 2 and really didn’t like it (missed it both ways). The RDX blue was way better. As far as the Rad Speed head goes, it’s really good. Felt like it was hot and dispersion was pretty tight. The shape was good to my eye, sat really square. Sound was slightly high pitched, but not offensive. I’ve still got some more testing to do, along with fitting, but it could very well be my next driver. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-9, Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 46°, 50°, 54° D, 60° T, Mitsubishi MMT 85s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

3 hours ago, Pingman2019 said:

Saw a couple pics online woodland using a radspeed this week pretty interesting move from the ping 

He looks to be playing the XB

image.png.5aa9fd1826906e64a3db98ec16464170.png

image.png.f7b113d9dc734bf01cdf3052ae15fc4b.png

Edited by mtex22
  • Like 2

Has anyone  been able to see Turbulence color in person ?

From the pics I have seen it sort of looks like a matt gray finish which I think would be nicer than the gloss finish.

Thanks.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

4 hours ago, jayjay0808 said:

I’m sorry my rep only had the black heads Matte in the Rad and Gloss in the Xb. He also had the Peacoat in both. 

How did the Peacoat look?

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (11.5d) - UST Lin-Q M40X Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - UST Lin-Q M40X Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Project X Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Aldila Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO MP 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - KBS Hi Rev 2.0 

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

7 hours ago, cz13X4 said:

I’m itching to see the 3 wood in person. No local stores had them today

I hit both the rad, rad xb, and the 3 wood today. Coming from a sz 3 and sz xtreme driver the new 3 wood felt significantly more forgiving, especially off the toe. It also was easier to launch and just looked great with the infinity face framing it nicely. I was also a solid 6 yards farther with it consistently over my sz 3 wood so it's going in the bag this year.

The xb gave me similar numbers to my sz extreme, not much lower spin, a little more forgiving off high in the face but not a big difference. What was different was I felt it easier to turn over than the sz x.

The regular rad speed gave me perfect numbers of 12 launch and 2300 spin for a nice distance gain. I could still turn it over but it was mostly straight to small baby draws. I also ended up lofting up on it since the spin stayed so low I could chase the launch angle with out worrying about excess spin.

Unfortunately there were no peacoat heads, so while I actually really like the black and green, the matte crown of the rad with the gloss of the 3 wood is kind of a let down for color coordination.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bleda2002 said:

I hit both the rad, rad xb, and the 3 wood today. Coming from a sz 3 and sz xtreme driver the new 3 wood felt significantly more forgiving, especially off the toe. It also was easier to launch and just looked great with the infinity face framing it nicely. I was also a solid 6 yards farther with it consistently over my sz 3 wood so it's going in the bag this year.

The xb gave me similar numbers to my sz extreme, not much lower spin, a little more forgiving off high in the face but not a big difference. What was different was I felt it easier to turn over than the sz x.

The regular rad speed gave me perfect numbers of 12 launch and 2300 spin for a nice distance gain. I could still turn it over but it was mostly straight to small baby draws. I also ended up lofting up on it since the spin stayed so low I could chase the launch angle with out worrying about excess spin.

Unfortunately there were no peacoat heads, so while I actually really like the black and green, the matte crown of the rad with the gloss of the 3 wood is kind of a let down for color coordination.

Maybe I should switch my order to the reg radspeed. I don’t need help turning it over as that’s my miss, was more hoping the xb would be more point and shoot. I guess it could also be different for me than you....

I really do love my f8 fairway, but the rad seems like it corrected the few issues I have with it. 

That matte finish is just stunning.  Can’t wait to try the driver and fairway wood

PING G430 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

Mizuno ST-G 15* Tour AD DI 7X

Titleist TSR2 18* Tour AD DI 85X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 2 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT115X(-)

Titleist Vokey SM7 52F - 58D

Mizuno M Craft II

Titleist ProV1