2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TM P770/790 vs Srixon ZX7/ZX5

ScottHutch2

I have coupons for TM & Srixon, debating between a ZX7/ZX5 combo set and a P770/P790 combo set. Would love to hear thoughts/comparisons between the two. specifically ZX7 vs P770

Edited by ScottHutch2

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

Haven’t hit the zx7’s but played a 585/785 combo set for quite some time. I think the zx7’s are going to be a little more “player’esque” than the 770’s. They are one piece forgings by endo and I believe the 770’s are still a 2 piece hollow body design. Zx7 is an MMC,T100, 921 Tour type iron where I believe the 770 is more akin to the 585,T200, 921 forged etc. zx7 should be a little smaller overall, probably not quite as forgiving, not quite as hot as the 770. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

3 minutes ago, drvrwdge said:

Haven’t hit the zx7’s but played a 585/785 combo set for quite some time. I think the zx7’s are going to be a little more “player’esque” than the 770’s. They are one piece forgings by endo and I believe the 770’s are still a 2 piece hollow body design. Zx7 is an MMC,T100, 921 Tour type iron where I believe the 770 is more akin to the 585,T200, 921 forged etc. zx7 should be a little smaller overall, probably not quite as forgiving, not quite as hot as the 770. 

Interesting! thanks for the response. So with the 770s will be more along the lines of the 585's in terms of forgiveness, that would imply the 790s are more GI than the 585s? That is good to know. I really like the 585s, they are soft off the face but give lots of distance/height. Sounds like I should be thinking more along the lines of P770s vs ZX5's?

Of the new ones I would say it is TM 7MC/770 or 790 vs zX7/zX5. And whether you don’t like the v-sole or you do. 

Or you could go original 770/790, since the original 770 is a true forged iron like the zX7, only has more forgiving long irons. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

The P770 looks nice in the bag and I like the stock grips, but that's where the postitives end compared to the ZX7. It isn't in the same league. 

A Taylormade combo set with P790's in the long irons is not something I would recommened. They won't launch or spin so impossible to stop anything on a green. Better off playing a full set of P770's if you must have Taylormade clubs. The longer P770 irons launch nicely and spin is sufficient. 

ZX5 long irons lauch high and spin plenty. The cavity is visible at address on the 4 and 5 irons which is the only negative (IMO). 

If your game is up to it, or you are looking to improve, I would suggest you grow into a full set of ZX7's. They have a generous top line and cavity, tungsten in the longer irons, and you'll get the benefit of added carry consistency that comes from playing a single piece forged club. 

Edited by bombs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

8 hours ago, bombs said:

The P770 looks nice in the bag and I like the stock grips, but that's where the postitives end compared to the ZX7. It isn't in the same league. 

A Taylormade combo set with P790's in the long irons is not something I would recommened. They won't launch or spin so impossible to stop anything on a green. Better off playing a full set of P770's if you must have Taylormade clubs. The longer P770 irons launch nicely and spin is sufficient. 

ZX5 long irons lauch high and spin plenty. The cavity is visible at address on the 4 and 5 irons which is the only negative (IMO). 

If your game is up to it, or you are looking to improve, I would suggest you grow into a full set of ZX7's. They have a generous top line and cavity, tungsten in the longer irons, and you'll get the benefit of added carry consistency that comes from playing a single piece forged club. 

I think this is a little bit extreme in terms of the comments on the P790. I think they may not work for you but there is a reason they have been one of the most popular irons in the last couple years, they are really good for a lot of people.

I do think the P770 long irons are pretty easy to elevate and hit but so are the 790s and they will be a little more forgiving if that's what you are looking for out of the long irons. ZX7 will be a slightly smaller profile and more of a "players"  iron look wise but it is a degree stronger lofted than the 770. Not to be that guy but these irons have a fair amount of differences (forged vs hollow body) so you kinda have to test them out for yourself. 

Edited by FatThinShank
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FatThinShank said:

I think this is a little bit extreme in terms of the comments on the P790. I think they may not work for you but there is a reason they have been one of the most popular irons in the last couple years, they are really good for a lot of people.

The P790 created a whole new category of iron. At the time of it's inital launch it had no direct competitors, was backed by massive marketing spend, and deserved all the succcess it got.

However, today the P790 is living off a four year old legacy. There are many other alternatives in it's category that significantly outperform it, not just for me, but for all golfers. 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I have z565 4i and gen 1 P790 3i/4i. 

For me spin was never an issue for either. Arizona spins more and goes higher, but either will easily hold a greens. I prefer the P790 look and the sole is narrower which I prefer. The one down side of the P790 I experience is the distance dispersion...sometimes it goes an extra 5-10 yds when I don't want it. I also find the P790 more workable in the wind.

anymore direct comparisons between the two lines now that Srixons are starting to hit stores?

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 2:51 AM, bombs said:

I would take this with a grain of salt, I and another guy hit these at a sim and had no problem spinning them, descent angle perfect too. They do feel completely different to the 790s though, I think they feel very nice.

On 1/16/2021 at 11:25 AM, Jakra1234 said:

I would take this with a grain of salt, I and another guy hit these at a sim and had no problem spinning them, descent angle perfect too. They do feel completely different to the 790s though, I think they feel very nice.

I was referring to the low launch and spin with the P790 long irons which perform like fairway woods and are unplayable for anyone who actually wants to hit a green with them. The target market for the P790 probably doesn't care about anything but being able to hit a long iron 150m+ in the right direction. 

The P770 long irons perform well. Sound/feel is awful relative to the ZX7.. but results are good. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I was able to hit the zx5 and zx7 today just off the rack at GG. Granted I was not able to switch the shafts into something more fitting to me, but the  zx5 felt like they launched too high. The zx7’s were very nice feeling. Soft, not chunky, good looking irons. I want to go for a proper fitting, but I’d be thinking Zx5 in the 4-5 irons and zx7 6-p. Don’t really have much to say on forgiveness and comparison to the TM line as I did not get to hit them side by side. I will say the zx7’s were PLENTY long. Was carrying my 7 iron 190-195 which is actually further than my current players distance gamers.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this topic back up to see if any more comparisons between zx7/5 and 770/mc.  I didn't get a chance to hit the zx7/5 before I bought my 770s.  They recently arrived and I have 3 months to keep or switch them out.  I have not hit the 770s on the course due to weather.

Any feedback would be appreciated 

On 1/16/2021 at 7:43 PM, bombs said:

I was referring to the low launch and spin with the P790 long irons which perform like fairway woods and are unplayable for anyone who actually wants to hit a green with them. The target market for the P790 probably doesn't care about anything but being able to hit a long iron 150m+ in the right direction. 

The P770 long irons perform well. Sound/feel is awful relative to the ZX7.. but results are good. 

I have to respectfully disagree on this as well. I think the P790 fits a certain golfer in the higher spin category. No doubt, some will experience issues with low spin and holding greens with long irons in the 790s. However, I have no problem generating spin and holding greens with them. And I haven't always used the "distance" iron either, in fact the last set I had before the 790s were Cobra forged cavity backs. I do enjoy the added forgiveness in the 790s, and didn't lose the spin I had heard so much about, so I went ahead and made the move last year. There's also no doubt they don't feel as good as a pure forged iron, but I don't have the liberty of playing everyday so I miss the center occasionally. I believe this is why its important to get fit and test irons rather than just make sweeping statements because they didn't spin enough for any one particular golfer. But, to each their own I guess.

Edited by vstensrud23
Spelling
  • Like 1

G400 Max 9* : Ventus Black 6X

Stealth+ 3W 15* Diamana ZF 70TX

TSI3 3H 20* : Atmos TS Blue 8X or '19 P790 3i : RIP Alpha 105X

'21 T100 4-PW : AMT Tour White S300

SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, SM9 58.08M : DG S300

‘22 Phantom X7 or '00 WH Rossie

Pro V1

I played the new P770 for much of last year.  Played the original P770 with the original P790 in the 4i position a year before that.  I currently game the Z945 with the Z545 in the 5i and 4i slots.  I have the ZX7 coming with ZX5 in the 6i and 5i.  I have hit all on Trackman.

I loved the feel of the original P770 and the P790 4i was long and high.  I went into a bit of a swing slump and moved into the Z945.  The Z945 feel is exceptional and the original P770 feel was very good.  I played well at times with the newest P770, but never could tell where I was hitting it on the face.  When the swing got a little off, I did not know how to adjust.  I went back to the Z945 and could feel everything I needed to feel.  Distance and dispersion were better than the new P770 (not expected).  I went in to check my gapping and swing speed at the end of the season, and while on Trackman the new Srixon arrived.  The feel was almost on par with the Z945, with a little more ball speed from the ZX7.  I decided to give them a try so they are on order.

To your question, performance would likely be close shaft to shaft.  Feel...Srixon all day every day.  

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

IF you are a high spin player the P790's are great.  The problem with saying the P790 was one of the most fitted iron is the fact they fit more often than not with 7 irons.  The number of people I see with 4 or 5 irons that do not have enough speed and spin, or just spin or just speed to play those long irons is a long list.  People who are borderline low spin with a 1 piece forging that go to most of the hollow bodied irons are gonna struggle holding greens with those long irons.  The P770's have more spin and are a better iron for those low spin players and a very good club.

I played the P790's for about a year, and I am a high spin player and they were good for me distance and distance repeatability, they lacked a bit on feel.  I had a buddy who spins the ever loving crap out of the ball.  He hit my irons a couple of times and those heads matched with KBS tour 130 X were perfect for him.  I had gotten them from someone on WRX and sold them to my buddy.  They have helped his game tremendously, but he is a perfect fit for a lower spinning iron.

I have spent the last year trying to find an iron I liked.  I played around with Cobra blades, the Forged Tec's, T100, Apex Pro, Sub 70, P770, P7MC.  The Sub 70 I played the last half of the year with and they are great.  I play a 4 iron in the 699 Pro U, and 699 pro in 5-8 and 639CB in 9 and wedge.  I love them.  However I was messing around with my buddy who works at a fitter and started hitting some of the ZX7's and I instantly fell in love.  Like they are as good as the Bridgestone J40 CB's I played for quite a few years.  

I have the ZX7 in 5-PW as the 6 iron in the ZX7 was no better in the ZX5.  I may order a ZX5 in the 5 iron and the ZX4 in a 4 iron.   The 5 is almost a given, but I like the 699 Pro U 4 iron so much I may not change it.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

5 minutes ago, Jbigda said:

If you have a coupon to buy it probably should stay away 😂😂😂

Yea man paying full price is super cool...🙃

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zonazoo said:

I’ve been playing the 2020 p770 version for the last few months and have been really happy with the performance especially compared to the p790s. Haven’t tried the srixon to compare, but would definitely recommend the 770s. 

How high in set did you go 770?  Any difference you see with 790 in long irons, if you have 770 long irons.

I hope you don't mind someone else jumping in on the P790 vs 2020P770 long iron question.  There is really a substantial difference.  IMO the P770 requires more swing speed than the P790.  I played my 2020 P770 through the 5i, but at the 4i my gapping was too close to the 5i.  The P790 though is probably the least demanding 4i I have ever played...long and high with less horsepower needed vs the P770.  I am hoping to find this same thing in the ZX5.  Trackman data was encouraging.

Edited by rxk9fan
  • Like 2

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

For those looking at the P770, also remember that at least in graphite (mine were SteelFiber) TM sends those out a little shorter than most other OEM's.  Mine were about 1/4 inch shorter than I expected.

Edited by rxk9fan
  • Like 1

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

10 minutes ago, rxk9fan said:

I hope you don't mind someone else jumping in on the P790 vs 2020P770 long iron question.  There is really a substantial difference.  IMO the P770 requires more swing speed than the P790.  I played my 2020 P770 through the 5i, but at the 4i my gapping was too close to the 5i.  The P790 though is probably the least demanding 4i I have ever played...long and high with less horsepower needed vs the P770.  I am hoping to find this same thing in the ZX5.  Trackman data was encouraging.

Did you switch to zx7/5.  I'm interested in trying them.   Wish I had during fitting but wasn't available