Best front nine you have had followed by collapsing on the back nine.

Ten to 12 years ago I had a miracle round going. I was -7 after 13 holes. I was around a 8 HC at the time. Just one of those fluke rounds. On 14 I had a quadruple bogey and parred in from there shooting a 69. I've only shot in the 60's a handful of times in my 50+ years of playing golf so still a good day......but what could have been. 

My senior bag.......

TM M2 9.5* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4,5,6 hybrids reg
Cobra F9 SL  6-g irons
Cobra King Black SL 56*
Ping CrazE putter
Datrex 15 way IDS cart bag - black

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it's almost always the opposite for me. haha.    I have numerous stories of shooting like 45's on the front followed by 35's on the back. Start threads about that LOL

33-48 at Southern Hills the Monday after the 2007 PGA Championship.

Playing in the state mid-am a few years ago at Cordillera Ranch.  I'm in the afternoon wave on day 1, and even or 1 under was leading after the morning round.  I birdied 9 for a 34 (-2) on the front a

Posted Images

I have two that immediately spring to mind. One was playing Princes. Front nine (Shore) I was -3 after 8. I'd been hitting it okay, but not great and got a couple of good breaks and holed a couple of long putts. Basically everything went my way. Then things started not going my way. Basically played the same standard of golf for 18 holes and wound up about +4. I think that was -2 front and +6 back. Where things bounced towards the hole on the front, they bounced away on the back and then I didn't scramble well at all.

The other one was much more painful. Playing in round 2 of a two round event. I had shot 67 in the first round, which was the am course record at the time. The club captain had got my scorecard framed (unbeknownst to me - event was Sunday first round and following Saturday second round). Then round 2, for the first 9 holes, my longest shot for a birdie was a 12 foot putt. I can't imagine anyone hitting it better than I did for those 9 holes. I birdied 1, 2, 3, 8 and 9 and parred the others. I holed nothing, but for 9 holes from tee to green, I couldn't miss. The captain was collecting 9 hole scores and was convinced that the card he had framed was going to be obsolete almost immediately. Split the fairway on 10 and had 5 iron in and pulled it in the left bunker. Now I could miss. And I did. Quite a lot. I scrambled fairly well on this occasion and chipped in on the last for a 69. 31-38. -5 and +3. The Princes round I played basically the same front and back and my score changed a lot. This one I played wildly different golf on the two. Side note - I shot 98 for 27 holes. Quite proud of that one 🙂

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump
Taylor Made UDI 2 iron Diamana Tensei white 90TX
Titleist 714CB 3, 4
Titleist 714MB 5-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 and 56 WS
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Back when I was first getting below scratch, I shot six under 30 on the front nine. Had visions of 59...

Shot 42 on the back...

A couple weeks later at a different course, did the same thing, 6-under 30 on the front. Followed by a 40 on the back. Yuck.

I've since learned to "close the deal" a bit better, but only in the last four or five years, and I'm 53!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

13 hours ago, Obee said:

Back when I was first getting below scratch, I shot six under 30 on the front nine. Had visions of 59...

Shot 42 on the back...

A couple weeks later at a different course, did the same thing, 6-under 30 on the front. Followed by a 40 on the back. Yuck.

I've since learned to "close the deal" a bit better, but only in the last four or five years, and I'm 53!

Obee, what changed to help you close the deal?  This is something I always struggle with and haven't seemed to find a way to crack it.  If this is in another thread, I would love to read it.

2 hours ago, CMCSGolf said:

Obee, what changed to help you close the deal?  This is something I always struggle with and haven't seemed to find a way to crack it.  If this is in another thread, I would love to read it.

Realizing that no one gives a flying f*ck what you shoot. That golf is a personal quest only. That I play purely for me and because I love the challenge of the game and the competition.

I was always playing to prove myself in some way or another. To look good. Lots of personal reasons behind that, but that was the reality. I now play because I love the game. I still get nervous. I still move more quickly and can make dumb decisions like before, but far, far less frequently since the realization that no one cares for more than 15 minutes -- one way or the other -- after an amateur's round of golf.

Play great and win your club championship? "Wow, didn't know Obee had it in him. That was a nice final round by him." And that's it. Then off they go to their family or friends or whatever.

Play like absolute shite and choke away a win or a bet or  whatever? "Wow, Obee choked again. What a choker." Annnnnnd back to their families and friends and own problems they go.

My issues were always about trying to somehow control how other people saw me as a person -- through sport.

Too much??? LOL

• Like 2

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I've been even/ -1 at least 3 times where I haven't gone on to break 80. These always hurt the most/produce the most mental turmoil afterwards. You end up thinking you could have just used an 8 iron on the back 9 and got it around sub 80 (probably wouldn't have either lol).

• Like 1

Titleist TS4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
Titleist TS3 15 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Titleist TS3 19 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0
Titleist 620 MB 3-9 6.0 Project X
Vokey SM7 46/52/58 KBS Tour X
Scotty Cameron Circle T Circa 62 #3 34"

Bogey golfer here... This thread got me thinking so I went back and looked at my scores for the last few years. Interestingly I've never really blown up on the back after having a decent front. However I've had epically bad front 9s only to play some of my best golf on the back 9 quite a few times. Literally playing the front like a 25 and the back like a 3 HC. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Many moons ago I shot the easiest - 4 on the front 9 at my home course. And it could have been lower. 

Then, rather than using the path to get from the 9th tee to the 10th green I stepped over a gap in the dry stone wall between the two. My foot slipped and I twisted my ankle. Managed to play 10 and 11 very badly then walked, well more like limped in. 

Another time. I started birdie, eagle, birdie. Then hooked two 8 irons OB on the short par 3 4th and never recovered. 

I have shot even par on the front nine twice and left the course both times. No way was I going to keep playing, waiting for the inevitable back nine collapse, better to leave on a high note.

• Haha 2

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Oak Hill East course day after 2013 PGA Championship.  4 under on the front.  Made the turn with dreams of posting my best career round on the toughest course I'd ever played.  That evaporated after opening the back with double/dobule and bogey.  Proceeded to shoot 48 on the back.  Jekyll and Hyde golf at its finest.  

I once had 4 birdies ( 5 in 11 holes ), a triple and a quad for a 39 on the front, followed by a 42 on the back.

Tight course with lots of OB. Windy, cold day. Sunland Golf Club in Sequim, Wa.

I wouldn't call it a collapse, per se. But it was a strange round. After the 5th birdie and subsequent OB on the next hole, the guy I was playing with was just shaking his head.

Jekyll and Hyde round, but just alternating holes...LOL

Edited by RainShadow

Ping G400 10.5 (9.5*) Hzrdus Yellow Smoke 60 5.5 
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra  Forged Tec Black SteelFiber i95cw R  
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 54/14
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 58/12

This Week's Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi BC 4 34"/ 343g
 TM Tour Response/ ProV1/ FG Tour

Oddly enough I did this just this past weekend.

Now, first bit... I am NOT a good golfer. I'm just back into the game after a 5 year layoff. According to The Grint, I'm currently playing to a 23 cap. I aspire to bogey golf. 

Course is an 18-hole exec course, par 60 (31 front, 29 back), at about 3600 yards. 

Front 9 I have five pars, one birdie, and three bogeys to be at 33 or +2. Best 9's I've ever had in my life (also on exec courses) are +3 and +5. I was on fire. And it was all facets of the game. It wasn't my best day hitting the ball, but I was scrambling like a mofo, pitching beautifully leaving myself short putts.

Back 9? Finished 42 or +13. Even started with par on 10 and 11, but then went triple on 12 and 13--both times taking three shots to get myself out of greenside bunkers. Cleaned it up a bit the rest of the way with another par and a few bogeys, but then went quad on the 18th hole (205 par 3) with a 7. Lost one in the water, duffed a chip from my drop (laying 3) into the sand, two shots out of the sand, and then two putt. 

I still don't hate the round because my course handicap there is 18 and I finished the round +15. But man I need to get myself some bunker practice!

My home course is a par 70: 34 on the front and 36 on the back. I have shot 30 - 40 multiple times... get it going on the front and fall apart on the back.

Driver & 3 wood: Ping G400

Hybrid: Adams

Irons (4 to U): Ping I200 or Staff FG62 (3 to P)

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 or Staff FG Tour (52, 56, 60)

Putter: Ping Anser or My Day

Two times. First was right after college playing a local course that was dirt cheap with a very easy front 9 and a notoriously odd back 9. Was only planning on playing 9 holes when I finished birdie, bogey, birdie, eagle, eagle. Decided to play the back and promptly gave it all away in the first 3 holes. I think I shot 32-42.

This summer I played Rich Harvest Farms for the first time. Had 3 birdies on the front 9, but a snowman on the treacherous 8th, and the back 9 was more of the same. Think I shot an 87 with 4 birdies, never shot so high with that many birdies before.

On 12/9/2020 at 10:03 AM, Billdozer324 said:

I don't have specific f9/b9 collapse story but I'm sure it has happened to me. As for following a great 18 hole round, I will never forget the time I first shot under par in a tournament, 69, and followed it up with a 87. I was just shy of turning 15. One day everything felt so natural and the next day it was like the train fell off the tracks. Playing in the final group, playing with older kids, the mind is a powerful thing. 

Harold Varner III knows that feel bro

Bag set (hopefully) for at least a year...NOPE. Today's date is ~~10/8/2019~~. 7/16/2020 Driver:

Taylormade M5 9* (set at Standard) - Project X Smoke Black 60 6.5

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - Project X Smoke Black 70 6.5

Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1 19* - Diamana D+ 90x (on the bench)

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI 2 @ 17* - Project X 6.5 (on the bench)

Irons: 2-5 Taylormade 300 Forged (1* weak) - Project X 6.5 6-9 Taylormade Smoke MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

PW: Scratch 1018 47* - Project X 6.5

GW: Scratch 1018 DOG 53* - KBS Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 1018 DD SFU bent to 59* - KBS Ctaper 130x

Putter: Bettinardi BB1 Copper Classic - 35" @ 68* and 1.5* loft. 

I have one instance I can remember of the good/bad...and two that are bad/good.

Went on a golf trip to Myrtle Beach in '12 or so and was playing to about a 3. Don't remember the name of the course, but we played it twice the same day. 72 first round and had to give a BUNCH of shots to the group for round 2. I followed that 72 with the most expensive 94 shots I've ever played.

A two-day tournament at my home course growing up, which is a short muni course. Was scratch-ish at the time. 34, 34, 34, 46 to lose by 1.

Recently played Prairie Dunes in Hutchinson, KS (20min from my home town) for the first time. 46-33. Those Par 3s on the front are not f*$#ing around.

Bag set (hopefully) for at least a year...NOPE. Today's date is ~~10/8/2019~~. 7/16/2020 Driver:

Taylormade M5 9* (set at Standard) - Project X Smoke Black 60 6.5

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - Project X Smoke Black 70 6.5

Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1 19* - Diamana D+ 90x (on the bench)

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI 2 @ 17* - Project X 6.5 (on the bench)

Irons: 2-5 Taylormade 300 Forged (1* weak) - Project X 6.5 6-9 Taylormade Smoke MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

PW: Scratch 1018 47* - Project X 6.5

GW: Scratch 1018 DOG 53* - KBS Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 1018 DD SFU bent to 59* - KBS Ctaper 130x

Putter: Bettinardi BB1 Copper Classic - 35" @ 68* and 1.5* loft. 

Shot 33 going out and 44 coming in. I was about 16 at the time, had never broken par at that point. Needless to say, I was pissed! 

On the flip side, shot 47 going out yesterday (highest nine hole score in ages) and 35 coming in. What a game. 🤣

TaylorMade SIM 10.5° | Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S
TaylorMade M2 15° | Project X Evenflow Blue Handcrafted 75 6.0
TaylorMade SIM2 Rescue 19.5° | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 80S
Srixon ZX7 4-PW | Nippon N.S. PRO Modus³ 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM7 50°, 54°, 58° | Nippon N.S. PRO Modus³ WEDGE 115

Evnroll ER7
Titleist ProV1X