2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best front nine you have had followed by collapsing on the back nine.

GoletaGolfer

2 hours ago, aenemated said:

How about the other way around?

Was terribly rusty on the front at Sherwood the other day. Could not find a fairway to save my life for most of it and rolled into #9 +9. Disaster. Missing fairways there leads to missing greens leads to horrible up and downs. 

Got lucky for the day on #9 and hit a nice bomb to about 160 out. Fired an 8 from there that got lucky - I'd been leaving my irons out to the right the whole day but caught the upper left fringe and had a great look at a center pin. Caddy was convinced we could make this one so with some work, settled on the line from 30' out and halfway there, did the Tiger steez putter raise and walked it in.

Best putt I've made in a while. 

Then 5 iron off the tee to flighted 54° to ~12 feet on 10 and another nice putt. And it was on. 

Only 17 beat me up from a hard pull on my 5 that left me with an impossible lie. Buddy was in one of those rotten bunkers but I was still like "Man, I'll trade you." Did my best to get the club on the ball but it still ran about 25 feet past and had an AWESOME 3 putt from there. 

Sherwood - don't miss fairways. Don't miss greens. You'll get beat up if you do either. Badly. And you go 44/37. 

I'm mostly the other way around as well. Bad front and much better back 9 are reasonably frequent for me. 

My last round of 2020 was so bad I almost quit after 9. Then I made the turn and the pars just started happening. Finished the back 16 strokes better than the front. Crazy stuff. 

5 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I'm mostly the other way around as well. Bad front and much better back 9 are reasonably frequent for me. 

My last round of 2020 was so bad I almost quit after 9. Then I made the turn and the pars just started happening. Finished the back 16 strokes better than the front. Crazy stuff. 

Haha I get it. I started SO bad after a solid warmup with the caddie watching and saying "Gonna be a good day today." And a member in front of me joking to the member behind me "Joey, you hittin' those?" "No sir; I don't hit it that far or straight - that was this gentleman in front of me." 

Then proceed to snap hook it off #1 tee, blast a 9 out of a flyer lie like 10 yards over and barely save bogey ... then after like 6 holes of missing every fairway and green I was like "ENJOYING SEEING THE WHOLE COURSE OVER HERE."

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Ironically it was also the best round of my life too. Par 34 front 37 back. Went out in 33 had never been under par for 9 holes. Limped home in 43 with some great scrambling. Was definitely looking ahead and choking as had never broken 80 before either. Only time I ever beat my two friends, who were both low handicappers.

On the flip side, at another par 71, I went out in 54, had a beer at the turn, another on 12, and was 2 under after 6. My playing partners were like WTF? Had 1 more beer (too many) on 15 and completely blew up ended up shooting 42 on the back lol.

at same course one time I came to 16 with a chance to break 80 if shot 1 over on final 3. Choked completely on par 4 16th with a triple so gave up dream. Then aced par 3 17th. Then choked again on par 4 18th because all I was worried about is what the bar tab would be and took another triple. 

Worried for no reason as ladies night had just teed off so bar was empty but for me and my two playing partners so got off easy!

Mine is the other way around. Playing a scratch event and hit 5 shots in a row OB (in course ob) off a hanging uphill lie. Literally put the 5 balls in a 10 foot circle. Took a 15 on a par 4 and posted a 54 on the front. While walking to #10 one of my playing partners told me I'd never respect myself if I didn't break 90. Shot 32 on the backside for a smooth 86. The worst part was that while warming up on the range at an event the following week I overheard guys talking about "the dude who took a 15 on a hole last week."

• Haha 1

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

I've done both, great front 9 and forgettable back 9 and vice versa, normally if i start really well, I try not to get too aggressive on the back, however, if I am not playing well from the beginning, I tend to be more aggressive on the back, what's funny it that I "save" the round on the back...crazy game, at times you play like Tiger and then turn into Tigger, oh well, that's one of the reasons I love this game.   

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

• 1 year later...

New personal contender from yesterday. I was -2 after 8, playing in a Met Amateur qualifier. No one in the field bettered that. Then I bogeyed 9 to go out in 35. Then back nine 48. Joint worst score in the field on the back. Two lost balls barely off the fairway that involved walking back to hit another. And it was hot as balls and I just had nothing left. Not a little bit disappointing.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Had this little peach a few months ago...

image.png.c9f99a7d9526b5754325fe47d7f398b7.png

Lipped out for birdie on 9 and 10.  Have never felt so good making the turn and then lost 5 shots in just 2 holes on the back nine.  I should have walked off the course generally happy but man was I pissed at what could have been.

I've also had several rounds where I shot like 43 on the front and was just dejected then went crazy and shot even par or 1 over on the back.  Honestly, that pisses me off even more.

I really don’t get enough time to play 18 these days with the two youngens around but I can blow up a good 9 hole scored card with 1 hole just fine 

my all time worse was hard fought even par through 16, about to turn in my first scratch card ever….. double on 17 and triple on 18 after finding water off the box….. ended up not even breaking 75 thanks to a two hole implosion lol.

I’m still chasing that scratch card through 18…. One day maybe 

Edited by MachineHack

Played a tournament back home where I completely forgot how to play golf for 4 holes...right in the middle of the round.

Day 1: 20-25 mph south wind: Shank on 5, 4-putt on 7, 2 lost balls (drive and provisional) and a 3putt on 8, ball in the water and 3putt on 9. Battle with native grass and a ball OB on 10. Ball in the water on 16 and 17.

image.png.fcede6e2c85a695a63a20431c84abe73.png

image.png.7c6e4b91670b79bda8a0f12a84904c21.png

Day 2: 10mph north-northeast wind. 4 over through 2, 7 over through 8, 3 under the rest of the way. 40/34 on the scorecard.

I love this game. I love this game. I love this game.

Edited by D0ch0l1d4y
grammar, words

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

As a result of yesterday's round, my index just barely snuck under 20 again, so that should give you an idea of my basic skill level. 

The best I've ever played a 9 hole [executive] course is +3. The best I've ever played either a "front 9" or "back 9" is +2. 

Yesterday I played the front 9 even, and the back 9 +14. Still a great round for me, and my third-best score at that course. But the front was a tale of GIRs at a rate I don't normally make, scrambling well when I missed, and making one birdie putt to make up for the one time I didn't get up & down and made bogey. The back included three penalty strokes, two approaches that went into greenside bunkers (each one taking two strokes to get out), and one par 4 where I just forgot how to hit the ball and chunked my way up the fairway to get on in 5 and thankfully one-putt to save double. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Bear in mind yesterday's round dropped my cap just barely back under 20. So understand that this front nine was WAY beyond my skill level. But... Still.

Even par on the front. +14 on the back. Played great on the front, with 6 GIR, one birdie, two up & downs, and one bogey on one of the missed GIRs. 

I've never shot even par on a 9 hole course, a front 9, or a back 9, before. I had *one* magical round where was even through a 12-hole stretch (holes #4 through #15), but even though it's more holes, it sounds more impressive to say I was even on the front 9. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I hate these type of rounds!

My first glimpse of being able to score was one of them. I made the turn at -4 32, thinking that it might not be the day I finally break par but also 70. The back 9 of that particular course had 3 par 5's, all reachable. I lost focus and ended up coming in in 42.

Still have not shot par or better 😞 

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Have had a couple tale of two nines…

32-43

33-44

38-47

golf is fun

Current WITB 2023...

• Callaway Epic Speed 9.5 - Hzrudus RDX Smoke Black 6.5 60g
  • Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 16.5 4W
  • Adams Idea Pro A12 3 Hybrid 20 & 23 - Matrix Ozik Altus S Flex
  • SRIXON ZX5 / ZX7 COMBO 5-PW
  • SM7 50.08F, SM8 56.12F, SM8 58 M 
  • Odyssey Tri Hot Triple Wide

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is more of a one-bad-hole disaster. I'm sure I've had others worse, but this stands out.

Was playing in tournament at AL Gustin course in Columbia, MO. (35 + 35 = 70)

Shot 39 + 46 = 85.

Killer hole was No. 12, a 520 yd. par 5 with a rollercoaster, twisto-flex fairway. Pushed drive into right swale, and had to take unplayable lie. Recovery back to fairway, and then somehow knocked my 3W approach OB left. Ended up with 10.

With 39 on front, had visions of breaking 80, until the OB.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Not split by 9s, but my last round had an eagle and 2 birds..........., shot 5 over....

3 triples.......

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Had what I think is my best front nine ever a couple of days ago: 2-under par 34 with three birdies. Back nine was a five-over 41 for a 75 total.

The 2-under was a bit of a surprise. Good tee shots and iron play got me close enough make birdies, but I wasn't putting particularly well and my wedge game wasn't great. On the back nine I three-putted twice and had a water ball from a bad lie (wedge). The greens were really slow, and I never fully adjusted to that.

Have to wonder what might have been if we didn't have the usual one-hour break for lunch between nines, but am telling myself to be happy with a 75 on a course I've never played before.

On 7/20/2022 at 10:06 AM, Ty_Webb said:

And it was hot as balls and I just had nothing left.

This was the catalyst for one of my bigger meltdowns.  Playing on an old mini they called the Space Coast Tour (or something corny like that).  Must have been '81 or '82.  Came out of the gates screaming and carded a 28.  Between the heat, humidity, and polyester pants, by the time I got to 12 or 13 I was in trouble.  Gatorade wasn't readily available yet, so I was pounding little paper cups of water and taking salt tablets.  Don't remember much of the back nine, but after 28 on the front, I wasn't even on the leaderboard at the end of the day.  

When i was a kid, the summer between 8th and 9th grade I tried out for the mens golf team.  Shot a 57 on the front a 37 on the back.  

Talk about nerves...

These days if im going to crap the bed...I do it all day LOL 

Driver: Ping G20

Fairway Woods: Titleist PT 15 and 20

Irons: Mizuno MP-32 3-PW

Wedges: Cleveland 588 53, 56

Putter: Ping Anser 2

Ball: K-Sig

Bag: Ping L8

Relax, have fun, and enjoy every moment.  Golf is the greatest game on earth.