TruSpec vs Club Champion vs GolfTec

randywall

I've been listening to a podcast with Tim Briand, and it gives me a good deal of confidence that TruSpec probably will do a good job fitting me for the proper club. I need a new driver (currently gaming a used G20). Really happy with the Avian irons bought from Redbird in Seattle, but want more diverse set of candidates for a new driver. There's no TruSpec near me, and travel seems like it will be restricted until at least June, at the rate vaccines will be produced. Does anyone have feedback on GolfTec or Club Champion? They both have locations within driving distance to me.

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5 GD Tour AD Red 55 S
4W: Callaway Mavrik 16.5
Hyb: Wishon 2 & 3 (18*, 21*)
Redbird Avian Forged 5-GW
SW/LW: Miura 56*, 60* K grind

Putter: Miura KM008
Srixon Q Star soon to try Vice Pro Zero

I did a fitting at a local TrueSpec here in Boston.  The fitter was knowledgeable, and very comfortable to work with. 

I felt confident with the club specs, shafts, and even the ball (switching from a ProV1 to the TP5 to add some spin with my wedges)

The only knock was that the cost for clubs directly from them was certainly steep.  Though they do not force you to buy clubs from them, the fitting fee was it's own price.  

So overall I would say that the experience was everything I could have asked for. 

• Like 1

Club Champion will likely give you a pretty good fitting - although I'm sure you know, it'll be costly.

Golftec locations are franchises.  And their primary business is lesson packages.  They have some fitting tools, but it's about the same as a Dick's Sporting Goods for most of the locations.  Some locations are better than others.  For example, as of a few years ago there was a Golftec in Cleveland (I think he had a handful of locations) that was awesome at fitting.

• Like 2

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made Original One 13.5* Aldila ATX 75X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TS3 20* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist T-MB 4, 5 Recoil Proto 110 F5                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Honma TR20V 6-11 Recoil Proto 125 F5                                  Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* Recoil Wedge Proto F5                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Taylor Made Spider FCG L-Neck

Club Champion does a thorough fitting and their customer service is excellent.  It comes at a steep price of 150 for driver fitting.  They also charge full retail for their fitted clubs.  My cousin went to the one here locally in Santa Monica and ended up paying for the fitting but left empty handed.  I referred him to Will Peoples who's a sponsor here who I've worked with for a long time and he got the exact same set up that Club Champion was charging over 800 for 700. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana ZF 60TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I wouldn't call Club Champion thorough.  Perhaps it's location specific.  The best thing that Club Champion has going for it is the selection.  But if you want to go in depth about swing weight and shaft profiles, etc., then I'd go somewhere else.  If you already know what you like and are looking to try certain products that fit that mold, then Club Champion would be just fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bravcon said:

I wouldn't call Club Champion thorough.  Perhaps it's location specific.  The best thing that Club Champion has going for it is the selection.  But if you want to go in depth about swing weight and shaft profiles, etc., then I'd go somewhere else.  If you already know what you like and are looking to try certain products that fit that mold, then Club Champion would be just fine.

It's more thorough than any other big box store.  I do agree that they don't address every single minute detail, but for the average golfer, it's pretty complete.  I get you though.  I'm very anal about my sw, lie, face angle, etc. which is why I go to my buddy who's a local fitter.  He's worked on Cally's tour van in the past so he has extensive knowledge for those of us who are more discerning. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana ZF 60TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I did a fitting at Club Champion. I think it really depends on the specific fitter. One I had was ok, one was really good. The selection is definitely very good. It might be worthwhile to get the specs then order else where. For example, the last fitting I did was at Dallas Golf and the clubs were at least 15% less costly than what CC would have been. 

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60

TM SIM Ti 3W - PX Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 70

Titleist TS2 19* 3H - PX Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 80

Titleist T300 4i & 5i - TT DG AMT Black S300

Titleist T200 6i - 48*W - TT DG AMT Black S300

Vokey SM8 52F08 & 58D12 - TT DG S200

Odyssey Triple Track  Stroke Lab Ten S

I think the fitter is more important than the umbrella they work under.  True Spec / Club champion have the selection of shafts and heads, but that doesn't mean much if the fitter doesn't understand you or the product, they obviously have good fitters, but I'm sure there are some bad apples in there as well.  Maybe ask around for reputable fitters in your area then go from there?

TM SIM 2 9.0* - 1k Tensei White 60TX
TM SIM2 13.5* - Tensei Pro White 80tx

TM SIM2 19* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9x
TM P7MB 4-PW - MMT 125 TX
Taylormade MG2 52* / TW 56* TW 60* MMT Wedge 
Putter: Custom TM Spider S

https://kzg.com/worldstop100clubfitters/

Someone else made center of face contact in one of the prior responses. The individual fitter is probably more important than the location.  Personally I don’t like big box stores because they are like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.  

If I were to seek fitting help, I’d dig deep into researching the best around me and look for specific names and credentials.  I have indeed done that too and came up with the Golf Care Center in Bethesda, MD about two hour from me.

There are many articles on the web, like above link you can extract kernels of good information from to find the “Best Clubfitters” in your area.  Google “Best Club Fitters” and “Club Fitter Credentials” and start reading the many articles to find more kernels to research and learn about.  With some effort and time, you’ll construct a sound plan you’ll have confidence in.

Once you think you find the fitter of choice, search the fitters name and business name on this forum and you’ll very very likely see feedback from others if they were extremely pleased with the fitting results.  That will help validate your plan and give you much more confidence to proceed to the next step which is calling the fitter for further discussion and process explanation.  If they are truly great at what they do, most any question you have will be answered while reviewing their business website.

• Like 1

I did my recent (well, September) fitting at Club Champion in Santa Monica, CA and couldn't have been happier with the experience. Of course, I had a great fitter who listened to what I wasn't happy about with my old set (PXG 0211) and what I was hoping to accomplish with the fitting. 

Of course, that's my only like ... full fitting experience beyond just talking to a Titleist rep when I landed on my beloved TS2s so I don't have anything else to compare it to. But I'm pretty stoked on the results. 

Titleist TSi3 10.5°

Titleist TSi3 15°

Titleist TS2 18°

Titleist TSi2 21°

TM P7TW 4-PW

Bettinardi HLX 56°, 58°

Scotty Cameron Newport