heading to pebble beach- Spanish bay or spy glass?

my wife texted me Spanish bay or spy glass and I didn't know what she was talking about so I text back Spanish bay. Turns out my wife was on the phone with a customer service rep from pebble beach and was booking my tee times. Sat- I'm playing pebble and on Sunday I'm playing Spanish bay, but I think I should change it to spy glass... any suggestions? 

also, my wife doesn't play so we are going to the spa and taps for dinner.. are there other "can't miss" things I should keep my eye out for or try? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess that you can tell by these pictures that I really like Pebble. First pictures are a Scotty Cameron 100th Anniversary Pebble Beach putter limited to 150 and headcover that came out in 2019

We had one guy forecaddie for us at SGH and he read a bunch of putts told stories etc. he made at least 2 bills that round. He shows up with 2 buddies to carry the next day at PB. They all went home w

Spyglass is the best course on the property, not even close.

Posted Images

Although I like Spanish Bay, I would change to Spyglass. The Taproom is a very good choice and their outdoor dining area is at Fairway One patio right next to the first fairway.  If you're going for dinner and you like steaks the Kobe gold rib eye is really good. If you're staying on property The Beach Club is open for lunch with outside dining I think.  This is a private club but open to guests if staying on property. 

• Thanks 1

Spyglass and not even close. You have two different feels (first 4-5 you see the ocean), ocean and then foothill/mountain golf. 

Spanish Bay is links/dunes course... and you forget about the course as soon as you're done...

Edited by tsur1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Mavrik, Fuji Speeder 757X
Cobra King LTD 3wd, Speeder 8.2X
Callaway Mavrik5-6wd, Speeder 8.3X
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 4-5, Forged 6-GW X100
Titleist SM8 Jet Black 56*D, 60*L Tour Issue Onyx X100
Scotty Cameron Newport Select custom by Embrace Putters or
Odyssey Tri Hot #3 Copper conversion custom 

2 hours ago, tsur1 said:

Spyglass and not even close. You have two different feels (first 4-5 you see the ocean), ocean and then foothill/mountain golf. 

Spanish Bay is links/dunes course... and you forget about the course as soon as your done...

The only memorable hole at SB is the 1st, in my opinion.  I think I remember it because I was really hung over and my caddie ran back to the clubhouse as we were teeing off and met me by the green with the awesome breakfast sandwich.  After that you are playing a linksy looking course without any real memorable holes , which while scenic doesn't really play firm like a links.  It's a fine course but if you have to make a choice play SGH, it's worth it.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Wow, by a land slide!!!! 

Thank you so much and will try my best to change ASAP!!! 

is there a dress code to walk around or tips when there? Should I carry a few hundred in cash to tip everyone? 

sorry, I normally wear flat brim hat, Rhone joggers, Travis m all order print shirts, and Nike air max when golfing.. I just want to keep it respectful during our stay. 

• Like 1

I believe you have to at least have a forecaddie.  When I played PB we walked and had caddies, at SGH we rode and had a forecaddie, if he is good he should be tipped well.  Wear any appropriate golf attire, it will probably be chilly and damp, so dress in layers, bring rain gear.  From my experience trust the caddies reads on the greens.  

1 minute ago, TIM929 said:

Wow, by a land slide!!!! 

is there a dress code to walk around or tips when there? Should I carry a few hundred in cash to tip everyone? 

sorry, I normally wear flat brim hat, Rhone joggers, Travis m all order print shirts, and Nike air max when golfing.. I just want to keep it respectful during our stay. 

• Like 2

Ping G400
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

2 hours ago, TIM929 said:

Wow, by a land slide!!!! 

no dress code to walk around- but realize you'll be at one of the most exclusive places on earth...

If Covid is like it is right now- caddies may not be an option- I played in October and you could only have forecaddies- and they wouldn't touch your clubs- just give aiming points and yardages to the pin...

Things to do: if you can play an extra day- or squeeze in 9 at Pacific dunes- the poor man's Pebble- for a warm up round!

definitely eat at Tarpy's Roadhouse- tons of nice restaurants and bars- just hope they are open when you go!

• Thanks 1

Callaway Mavrik, Fuji Speeder 757X
Cobra King LTD 3wd, Speeder 8.2X
Callaway Mavrik5-6wd, Speeder 8.3X
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 4-5, Forged 6-GW X100
Titleist SM8 Jet Black 56*D, 60*L Tour Issue Onyx X100
Scotty Cameron Newport Select custom by Embrace Putters or
Odyssey Tri Hot #3 Copper conversion custom 

17 hours ago, TIM929 said:

Wow, by a land slide!!!! 

That’s a lot of tips! Happy to come and be your PA!

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

The only memorable hole at SB is the 1st, in my opinion.  I think I remember it because I was really hung over and my caddie ran back to the clubhouse as we were teeing off and met me by the green with the awesome breakfast sandwich.  After that you are playing a linksy looking course without any real memorable holes , which while scenic doesn't really play firm like a links.  It's a fine course but if you have to make a choice play SGH, it's worth it.   

In all seriousness the 1st at SB is very scenic, plus they do that bag pipe thing every evening to shut the course down.  It's not a horrible course, it's just that there are better options in the area if you have a choice.  If anyone wants to fly me out to Monterrey next week to play Spanish Bay I would start packing my bags immediately, it's not a top 25 course by any means, but I'd rank it in the top 200 US courses.  Picking SB is like picking the least pretty super model, she still has some pretty nice features. 

The Sardine Factory,  pretty sure that dinner the night before was why I don't really remember much.  Someone else picked up the tab..... 

• Like 1

Ping G400
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

I'm pretty generous tip wise, but on the other hand the green fees at Pebble are astronomical.  I can't remember the amount after two years, but for example, before our first round at Royal Dornoch I asked the pro for some advice/what was expected/what was thought to be generous and erred on the side of generous - must have been okay, my caddie invited my daughter and I to play with him as his guests a few days later.  I remember asking my caddie at St. Andrews the first day we played The New Course just after the round if "x" would be acceptable - "that will be more than agreeable I'm sure" was his response with a devilish smile (he was a character).  We had three of the four the next day and sure didn't want to be a piker.  Wild ___ guess, but I bet a $100 bill wouldn't be thought to be unreasonable, but I'd defer to those who have played Pebble.

And watching for the answers - hope to play there this summer!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

And watching for the answers - hope to play there this summer!

Ditto. I've never played Pebble, but from my experience with other courses the "normal" tip is usually $75-100/bag if they are carrying it, and $50ish if they are just a forecaddie. 

I'm not sure who came up with those amounts or where I first heard them, but they have always seemed reasonable to me and the caddies seem pleased. 

• Like 2

We had one guy forecaddie for us at SGH and he read a bunch of putts told stories etc. he made at least 2 bills that round. He shows up with 2 buddies to carry the next day at PB. They all went home with $100 or more.  They told some great stories, read putts well and took pics for us. I gave him my cell phone and told him to take pics whenever. Ringer off of course. Then we partied with a couple of them later that night. 

Edited by dlygrisse
  • Like 3

Ping G400
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

When in January are you going? Monterey County will start a stay-at-home and lockdown order starting this Sunday night Dec. 13 at 10:00pm through Jan 11th.

Pebble Beach Resorts is going to close The Lodge, Spanish Bay, Casa Palmero, all restaurants except for the Gallery for take out only and the Market. All retail shops will be closed except for Heritage Shop, Lone Cypress Shop and women's shop. 

The four golf courses and pro shops will remain open.

My wife and I were going to go down to Pebble during Christmas but obviously not now and where we live is also in the same situation. Luckily we only live 1 hr. 20 minutes away from Pebble so we can usually go when we feel like it.

3 minutes ago, aloha b. said:

When in January are you going? Monterey County will start a stay-at-home and lockdown order starting this Sunday night Dec. 13 at 10:00pm through Jan 11th.

Pebble Beach Resorts is going to close The Lodge, Spanish Bay, Casa Palmero, all restaurants except for the Gallery for take out only and the Market. All retail shops will be closed except for Heritage Shop, Lone Cypress Shop and women's shop. 

The four golf courses and pro shops will remain open.

My wife and I were going to go down to Pebble during Christmas but obviously not now and where we live is also in the same situation. Luckily we only live 1 hr. 20 minutes away from Pebble so we can usually go when we feel like it.

Thank you for the heads up, I'm going on 1-15 to 1-17... wow, that was so close.. I really hope they fully open everything on 1-11.. 

• Like 1

Just got back from Pebble early November.  Major restrictions were just lifted then (spa reopened after a long closure, but with major restrictions); shops were all open, but with protocols. I took a pull cart (allowed now) and didnt take a caddie at all (I havent taken one in years as I know the course well and they are hit and miss for enjoyment).  No mask was required on the course, but it was everywhere else.  I would pick spyglass over Spanish Bay, but I really enjoy spanish bay.  It has some fantastic holes and a few really wonky ones.  I play it about every other trip now. No indoor dining at all.  We always chose the Bench, because they have fire pits.  Usually they offer blankets as well, but not now.  Even with the optimistic bunch at PB resorts, it was apparent staff was feeling pretty down about all the closures. This latest round have to hurt all the more.  The reason I mention what it was like when I was there in Nov.  Is that it may likely be similar in January when you go. 

• Thanks 1
On 12/8/2020 at 9:50 PM, TIM929 said:

my wife texted me Spanish bay or spy glass and I didn't know what she was talking about so I text back Spanish bay. Turns out my wife was on the phone with a customer service rep from pebble beach and was booking my tee times. Sat- I'm playing pebble and on Sunday I'm playing Spanish bay, but I think I should change it to spy glass... any suggestions? 

also, my wife doesn't play so we are going to the spa and taps for dinner.. are there other "can't miss" things I should keep my eye out for or try? 

Spyglass is the best course on the property, not even close.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"