ASK QUESTIONS: Cobra King RAD SPEED Woods and Hybrids R&D Chat! Bonus Giveaway!

I will preface by saying I have zero clue about any production process that might produce a driver as complicated as today's drivers.  How difficult might it be to offer more color schemes?

That said I will be buying the RAD at some point in the near future to replace my Speedzone.  Cobra is killing it the past few years.

How is the feel vs the F9? The F9 really nailed it on feel vs Speedzone. Did they go back to a softer feel? 

In addition why does Rickie and Lexi still play the F9?

• Like 1

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

Shaft question here. 
Do you all go through a “testing process” when it comes to what shaft company and models are going to be the “stock” pairing with the woods? You always do a great job of offering amazing options, but how extensive was the research and testing to arrive at the Fuji Motore for what looks to be the main stock shaft?

Jeremiah 29:11

In regards to research and development, how do you prioritize/balance the needs of players ranging from staff touring pros to the novice golfer? Follow up, in addition to having staff pros provide feedback on prototypes/design/performance, how do you define what other types of golfers will respond to as it relates to performance (distance, forgiveness, stability, etc...)?

Love Cobra gear going back to the S3 irons. The F9 was probably the best driver I ever played. 

One thing I don’t care for is the markup on weights. Are the RAD weights unique or can a weight from a prior model be used?  Failing that will you still offer tour length?  I do love that option but it also means I will not be ever purchasing in store since no retailers near me would ever carry one in stocky (lefty). 

I had a short stint with the F9 driver in early 2019. I noticed that the sweet spot on mine seemed to be a bit off center and slightly higher and toe side biased. I saw the best performance when hitting that area of the face. However, I saw some decrease in performance when struck elsewhere. I'm not talking about on clear misses but just not hitting that specific "sweet spot". This yielded some inconsistencies that caused me to move on from the driver. I've read some other reviews claiming similar experiences with the F9. I don't have any experience with Infinity face with the recent SpeedZone models but do you guys expect more consistency and stability across the Infinity face with the RAD?

Thanks WRX and Cobra!

My question, how has Cobra hybrid technology/performance improved over the last 5 years? F7, F8, F9 hybrids were all popular here but seemingly similar. I am always trying to sort out that part of my bag, never really happy. I think many are in the same situation.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

First off, THANK YOU Cobra & Wrx for setting this up.  I'm fairly young in the game of golf (going on 8 years now) and have played a Cobra driver every year up until this year...

ZL Encore, Bio Cell, Bio Cell+, Bio Cell Pro, Fly Z, Fly Z+, LTD, F6, F6+, F7+, F8+, F9, Sz.  For me the F9 was the best of the bunch with its sound/feel/looks/distance & dispersion.  My ONLY complaint was the line around the face which cut balls when I missed slightly high or low.  I tried the Sz but the sound killed it for me.

I agree that Cobra has been making drivers/woods just as well/better as all the so called "Big Boys" and praise you guys for that and also some of the best feeling irons in the game.  Keep up the Excellent work. I still game the F6 Baffler since new (FAVORITE CLUB in my bag) and also the F7 Hybrid (nothing beats the rails on both).

My question, is 3 actually:

1. Any thoughts of changing the adapter to a style that doesn't change grip alignment when adjusting it?  I'm glad you haven't up until this point as it allowed me to keep & swap shafts, but that would be a wish list from me in future.

2. Same type question involving weights...you guys seem to change them almost every year.  For us little guys it would be nice to keep them the same for several years so that we don't always have to swap/buy so many weights to get things right.

3. Lastly, is it possible to order direct through Cobra with certain specs such as: Swing weight changes (whether through weights/hot melt etc.)

Thanks for your time & continue the great work.  I'm excited to hear more about the "Putter" Jose talked about on TXG Live a few days ago.

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

On 12/9/2020 at 11:14 AM, tj7644 said:

First, I want to say these RAD drivers look good!   Love the matte black crown and I also love the blue/red accent colors.  My first question is about the T-bar chassis.   How does that move the weight forward and deep?   Is there a rail/bar on the inside of the head that moves the weight depending on the club head?  In other words, is it in the internal construction of the head?   Or is it the weight ports on the bottom and outside of the head?

Second, is the blue/red color going to be available in the standard hybrid?   Or just the one length?

The T-Bar Chassis is really about removing weight from where it is not needed to allow us to place RAD weighting in better locations for improved performance. Blue/Red coloring is just for ONE length hybrid. TO (Tom Olsavsky - head of COBRA R&D)

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 11:22 AM, getitdaily said:

My question comes via Big Al.

Did you guys have to pay royalties to Carl and the boys from the rock band "Radius of Gyration" to use that name? Was the royalty check more than $10?

Thanks. I'll see myself out.

Didn't have to pay since golf club names are in different legal category vs rock bands. And since we are nice will send them some drivers if they want 🙂 - T.O

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/9/2020 at 11:33 AM, TravAz said:

1 When will we see a complete list of “no upcharge” shafts?

2 Can you talk about the decision to move to bonded instead of adjustable in the hybrids? The new hybrids look great, but hesitant to give up the ability to “tune” that end of the bag for different courses/conditions. What value is the player getting for giving up that adjustability?

1. Should be on the website when product is available. 2. We decided to move away from sleeved hybrids a couple of years ago since our fitters and retailers were telling us that most people didn't use the MyFly Sleeve in hybrids. Taking out sleeve allows us to slightly lower CG for better performance. And some players cite a better look at address from a thinner hosel. - TO 

At some point do you envision the CNC milled infinity face encompassing the entire driver so that the whole driver is one single CNC milled piece of infinity face awesomeness?

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

2 hours ago, eddiebigeddie said:

First off, THANK YOU Cobra & Wrx for setting this up.  I'm fairly young in the game of golf (going on 8 years now) and have played a Cobra driver every year up until this year...

ZL Encore, Bio Cell, Bio Cell+, Bio Cell Pro, Fly Z, Fly Z+, LTD, F6, F6+, F7+, F8+, F9, Sz.  For me the F9 was the best of the bunch with its sound/feel/looks/distance & dispersion.  My ONLY complaint was the line around the face which cut balls when I missed slightly high or low.  I tried the Sz but the sound killed it for me.

I agree that Cobra has been making drivers/woods just as well/better as all the so called "Big Boys" and praise you guys for that and also some of the best feeling irons in the game.  Keep up the Excellent work. I still game the F6 Baffler since new (FAVORITE CLUB in my bag) and also the F7 Hybrid (nothing beats the rails on both).

My question, is 3 actually:

1. Any thoughts of changing the adapter to a style that doesn't change grip alignment when adjusting it?  I'm glad you haven't up until this point as it allowed me to keep & swap shafts, but that would be a wish list from me in future.

2. Same type question involving weights...you guys seem to change them almost every year.  For us little guys it would be nice to keep them the same for several years so that we don't always have to swap/buy so many weights to get things right.

3. Lastly, is it possible to order direct through Cobra with certain specs such as: Swing weight changes (whether through weights/hot melt etc.)

Thanks for your time & continue the great work.  I'm excited to hear more about the "Putter" Jose talked about on TXG Live a few days ago.

Typically the sleeves that maintain grip/shaft alignment are 2 part sleeves, and some of these are covered by patents. They are also much heavier and bigger when there are 2 pieces. Regarding weights we optimize them for each design, so that's why they change every year. Should be able to order custom specs.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 12:06 PM, dlow206 said:

For the XD (draw) model, is there any other differences compared to the XB besides moving around the weighting?

Idea was to make a good looking driver at address, with high technology that provides more draw bias. Since the weight is in the heel (and slightly forward vs XB) the XD will launch slightly lower but have much more draw.

On 12/9/2020 at 5:29 PM, belephant said:

Do you all have any launch/spin data comparing ‘weight forward’ and ‘weight back’ set ups in the same head?

thank you!  excited to see these in person!

Typically is slightly higher launch (0.5 deg) and less spin (300 rpm) w/ weight in front. Speed should be slightly higher in front as well.

On 12/10/2020 at 7:52 AM, azgolfer64 said:

My question is in regards to the name "RAD SPEED". Where does that come from? Is RAD and acronym for the technology? 

RAD part comes from the physics term 'radius of gyration' which describes the ability to move weight as far away from the center of gravity to improve performance.

On 12/10/2020 at 9:50 AM, jon12 said:

What is the MOI of each RAD driver?

Is the Motore F3 shaft available in X flex for no upcharge?

Thanks

Forgiveness comes from 2 things MOI and face radii (bulge and roll) combined w CG location. All are very forgiving for individual player targets.

The Motore F3 is available!

On 12/13/2020 at 6:32 PM, blblco02 said:

How many variations of color ways do you consider before picking the final version? I like the new colors. 

how much longer is this compared to an old king cobra deep face steel driver:)

We go through lots of color options, some only on the computer, others are actual finished heads.

Vs. King Cobra Deep Face?? Which year?? Drivers average at least 3-5 yards longer every year in standard tests so how far back do you want to go?? - TO 

On 12/14/2020 at 6:34 AM, boothbym said:

Will the RAD drivers sit open, closed, or neutral when looking at them? Thanks!

All the RAD drivers are designed to measure slightly open for visual square. For those of us with normal vision, that measures 2 deg open on a gauge to look square at address. - TO

On 12/9/2020 at 1:32 PM, MikeyLokahi said:

Is the infinity symbol visible at address?

What are the shaft options on the drivers?

The infinity symbol should not be visible at address... unless you play it waaayyy back in your stance.  🙂

The "stock" shafts:

Project X Even Flow Riptide (high traj)

Fujikura Motore X F3

Project X HZRDUS RDX Blue

Fujikura Motore X F1 (low traj)

And many more through custom!

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 1:40 PM, scooterhd2 said:

How do you balance pushing weight out to the radius, but also keeping the COG low? Seems like the hybrids and fairway woods have hollow rails, whereas that would seem like an easy opportunity to use weight to bring the COG lower.

Taking weight out of the body high and replacing it low. That's where the thinner 360 carbon wrap and improved T Bar chassis come into play. As above Design is a tradeoff, and a flexible split rail structure, with a low CG, will win over a stiffer sole with a slightly lower CG.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 4:20 PM, daralike said:

Been gaming Cobra drivers since Amp Cell days. Love the SZ and can't wait to hit RadSpeed!!

My question is, Will we ever see a return of the SmartPad sole technology from previous drivers or is it no longer necessary?

It's in all the MyFly sleeved product, just took the naming off the sole as it has been a staple technology for us since the AMP Cell days as mentioned. 

In the past we have seen Cobra come out with drivers that had an additional weight that could be placed in the draw position, last seen on the F8. I see with the RAD drivers, additional weights outside of the front and back weights are back, but in a fixed position.  Was there any thought of bringing back additional movable weights to possibly set the driver in more of a more draw or fade bias? Also, while the masses won't be able to, are the fixed weights possibly something that tour players would be able to get different weights put into their drivers to be able to dial it in to their liking?

On 12/13/2020 at 8:02 AM, jokerusn said:

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions!  

Will you be bringing additive manufacturing or MIM tech from other clubs into the wood lines?  What are the challenges that woods bring to using that technology?

Will let you know when we do 🙂 - TO 

• Like 1