• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have made it very clear to my family that they should, under no circumstances, ever, ever, get me this:  

My wife’s aunt got me this.....

What have you gotten from those that know you golf. But, the giver does not understand what is a good gift is and what isn't.    For example..   

Posted Images

Last Christmas I got a real doozy from my thrift store shopping Mother-In-Law at big Christmas dinner get together.  You can totally tell it’s used too.  

To make matter worse, the dang thing is just a little too small to fit me.  I played along though and wore it all evening that night.  She thinks I absolutely love it.

Funny part is I’m a Cobra One Length player and my some of my buddies rag me about it.  If it fit, I’d totally sport it for a few rounds just to give the gang a little more ammo to give me s*** about when I beat them.

3381DBEA-1511-4011-9FE6-D8C522952CB8.jpeg.db24bba8ca6658faef8facb675909941.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 7:27 PM, Cliffy2020 said:

Son bought me a sleeve of I❤️DAD balls in a cheap plastic case.  They proudly sit on top of my beer fridge in the garage next to a couple of old trophies.  He asks me from time to time why I haven’t played them.  I simply tell him I’m not good enough yet to not lose them.  Makes him smile and think.  Yeah, I love those stupid balls.

That's a great story.  Good for you and your son. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 4:47 PM, 2bGood said:

special glasses the blue lenses to find your ball in the rough:

You should have told them they're unnecessary... You don't hit your ball into the rough!

On 12/14/2020 at 2:54 PM, LeftDaddy said:

I told my family a few years back that they didn’t have to get me golf gifts or gifts with my college’s logo on it anymore, because what I wanted would be too specific and that would be unfair to them. I told them that instead they could just use that money they would have spent on me and buy something for someone who needed it more. 

I just got back into the game from a long layoff (before I met my wife). She always hates trying to figure out presents for me because I basically buy anything I want/need for myself. So she was excited to have a new theme...

It basically was a mix of both of your "do not buy" categories. New golf towel, driver/wood covers, plastic tees, ball mark repair tool and ball marks, all Purdue Boilermaker branded. I loved it. She also got me some very nice golf shirts, shorts, pants, and a 1/4-zip pullover for when it's "cold" in SoCal. Also really useful. She bought be a new golf bag too, but she had asked me for ideas on that one because she doesn't know anything about golf, so I gave her a rough list of attributes the bag should have and she picked out a good one (that would of course match all my Boilermaker gear lol). 

I found a good one 😉 

• Like 1
On 1/25/2021 at 6:40 PM, betarhoalphadelta said:

You should have told them they're unnecessary... You don't hit your ball into the rough!

I just got back into the game from a long layoff (before I met my wife). She always hates trying to figure out presents for me because I basically buy anything I want/need for myself. So she was excited to have a new theme...

It basically was a mix of both of your "do not buy" categories. New golf towel, driver/wood covers, plastic tees, ball mark repair tool and ball marks, all Purdue Boilermaker branded. I loved it. She also got me some very nice golf shirts, shorts, pants, and a 1/4-zip pullover for when it's "cold" in SoCal. Also really useful. She bought be a new golf bag too, but she had asked me for ideas on that one because she doesn't know anything about golf, so I gave her a rough list of attributes the bag should have and she picked out a good one (that would of course match all my Boilermaker gear lol). 

I found a good one 😉 

Sounds like it!  Great that she’s nailing the gift ideas in the early-going. 

My issue with these things, specifically, is that I already have every possible logo’d item for my undergrad and grad programs, AND, I also already have every golf thing I could think of for the moment with the exception of some super expensive things like maybe a simulator, etc. Thus, having someone in my family try to buy me something in those categories that would resonate with me is just tough and unfair to them. And honestly, I already have plenty so I’d just prefer they buy something for someone else who could use it more. 

That advice doesn’t fit everyone, though!

On 12/16/2020 at 8:23 AM, gripandrip said:

Still got my optical range finder. Got it from my Dad. It has a pretty good magnification, so I sometime use it to scope out the fairway and green ahead. (I usually don't use/carry a laser rangerfinder)

image.png.4f49486b2ef626ca03c8be12da59f58b.png

I got one of those years ago, it's about as useful as t**** on a bull.  

Got one of these from the mother in law as well.

71zYOtjPebL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

• 3 weeks later...

Short Par 4 membership

https://www.shortpar4.com/

Thought the concept was cool, as I have a few other monthly membership type of programs. My relative who I gave to was appreciative, but I was disappointed.

Each month the box had almost all “short par 4” brand items, with maybe one name brand mixed in. Even that item was a disappointment.

Ever got one of the golf multi-tools?  So, I'm going to ride around all day basically carrying a large, heavy swiss army knife in my pocket...but it has a spike cleaner, a ballmark tool, a cigar cutter, a tiny pair of scissors, a spike wrench...all the things you could possibly need on the golf course. 

Perhaps it would be less of a weird gift if I didn't receive 5 of them.  All of which have neither seen my golf bag or the light of day.   

The cigar lighter with the pitch mark tool and a ball marker was useful...well, the lighter.  

Oh, and to the asshat that sold my mom 2 boxes of, "just as good as Prov1 srixon distance balls...you sir, are a d##khead.

PING G400 LST 9* Fuji XLR8 51

PING G400 16.5* Fuji XLR8 61

PING i500 3-PW KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

Edel 46* DVR/52* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING Vault Anser 2

I got the ball monogram thing this year along with this stroke counter from my in-laws who I truly love and adore.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSn2YRx0UfMItGJi14GTDq5qi-p49ZIxN1sq8J74Hwy3UrX2MDDtj3zVX3_h4g&usqp=CAc

I can't help but laugh as I know it is well intentioned.  My wife happened to come across it a couple of weeks ago and burst out laughing and said she can only imagine me pulling that thing out with my golf buddies.  As they say it is the thought that counts.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, dcstroker said:

I got the ball monogram thing this year along with this stroke counter from my in-laws who I truly love and adore.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSn2YRx0UfMItGJi14GTDq5qi-p49ZIxN1sq8J74Hwy3UrX2MDDtj3zVX3_h4g&usqp=CAc

I can't help but laugh as I know it is well intentioned.  My wife happened to come across it a couple of weeks ago and burst out laughing and said she can only imagine me pulling that thing out with my golf buddies.  As they say it is the thought that counts.

I've got one of those that I use pretty much every round.  It allows me to just totally space  out and clear my mind - not even paying attention to the score.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Ping Zing BeCU Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

Bridgestone e6, Noodle Neon, or Titleist TruSoft balls

Various trinkets, ball markers, and white wooden tees