MEMBER REVIEWS: Cobra King Tour Irons with MIM Technology! See What Members Are Saying!

Would love to hear more info.  Is everyone still enjoying them?

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

I have not had much of a chance to hit mine but the few times I have I absolutely love them, the way they address the ball, thin top line very little offset amazing feel, very forgiving, long irons easy to hit along with amazing looks except for the large KING font. Cobra does not get the love they deserve. These clubs need to be on everyone short list when looking for new irons 

IMG_1001[5].jpg

Edited by Tiptx1122
Had a typo but now need to delete the duplicate comment I made

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

On 2/28/2021 at 7:56 PM, wam78 said:

Would love to hear more info.  Is everyone still enjoying them?

I still have mine but currently testing the ZX series. It's a tough decision because I do prefer the Cobra MIM irons in feel and performance but I absolutely love the looks of the ZX7. My one feedback for Cobra is to lose the gigantic 'KING" on the irons it just too much. The snake logo is great but not sure why they are so stuck on this "KING" thing. It just too overdone IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

On 3/3/2021 at 8:40 AM, Tiptx1122 said:

I'm not sure if the Recoil shafts help make a difference in the feel but nothing else has ever felt as nice as these as I have had several different irons with Recoil shafts and Steel Fiber shafts as well. The Cobra Tour MIM wins over all the others when you make good contact. They are a little harsh off the toe or thin but don't they all feel like that on mishits Lol

Edited by Tiptx1122
Duplicate post

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

On 3/3/2021 at 8:40 AM, Tiptx1122 said:

PXG has a commercial about how sexy their clubs look now here is SEXY!

IMG_1009.jpg

Edited by Tiptx1122
  • Like 1

The Cobra King Tours have been in my bag since mid-December, and I like them so much, I've gotten rid of both other sets of irons I used to own. They look fantastic at address with minimal offset and a thin enough topline. I really don't even notice the "KING" logo to be honest. I see the bottom of my irons in the bag and never see the back of the club at address.

Performance has been incredible for me. I use the 5-GW and the Nippon Modus 130s suit me very well. I've got tons of confidence in the longer irons that I am going to hit a high approach that goes the distance I want. The ball just seems to jump off the face, flies high and lands with spin. A regular playing partner was just commenting the other day that my irons don't ever leave the target anymore. I may push or pull them slightly depending on face angle, but they end up on the line that they started without a lot of curve. Sure, I can make them curve if I'm trying to, but standard shots are point and shoot. He even used those words and joke that he'd like to see the Trackman tracer on them.

I find them very versatile from a variety of lies and for a variety of shots. I use them around the greens when called for, and they are not clunky at all. I'm extremely happy with these irons and have no wandering eyes for other sets whatsoever.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 20° Ventus TR Red 7X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

On 3/5/2021 at 7:40 PM, mtex22 said:

I still have mine but currently testing the ZX series. It's a tough decision because I do prefer the Cobra MIM irons in feel and performance but I absolutely love the looks of the ZX7. My one feedback for Cobra is to lose the gigantic 'KING" on the irons it just too much. The snake logo is great but not sure why they are so stuck on this "KING" thing. It just too overdone IMO. 

Update: So I spent a good month with the Srixon Zx Combo set and they were good but they just weren't these Cobra's. These feel and perform better! Probably the first difference I noticed was how much softer the Cobra's are which is crazy since they are not forged. In addition my dispersion with the Mim's are so much better especially in the short and mid irons. I also noticed much less spin with the ZX irons especially the ZX5's. They were hot but almost too hot and too low spin, I want consistency in my irons. I also hit the MIM's higher which is what I am looking for and the consistency of flight and spin is outstanding. The MIM's are a little more demanding in the long irons than the ZX5's but on par with the ZX7's in distance and forgiveness. My well struck shots with both sets of irons I would say are equal with distance. I have hit some amazing shots with these MIM's!! Lastly the look at address is just perfection to me, the shape and blade length really just suits my eye. Do I wish they were satin and less busy cavity? Yes I still do but getting over it due to the most important thing. Performance!!!

Edited by mtex22
  • Like 2

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

• 2 weeks later...

We'll I'm starting to get out a bit more, fairways still pretty soft and battling the wind on the nicer days, high 50's low 60's. It's been a long wait. I'm wondering when the honeymoon effect will last as these irons are easy to hit and feel great. When I do hiss the sweet spot I don't lose much distance and my accuracy is still there. The feel is pretty amazing as even my mishit don't punish you but they will let me know but not in a bad way. It does take awhile to get use to the feel as they have helped me to become a much better ball striker. Several times I have had to use the 4 and 5 iron to reach a green and I think they are as easy to hit as my 8 iron. 

Some may like the cavity being a bit on the busy side as I'm ok with it. When you address the ball you don't notice it and these are stunning to look at. Not too thick very little offset. Too bad Cobra doesn't get the Love they deserve and mainly that is only because people want to look at what the PGA Pro's play and think that if they go out and buy what Brooks, Rory, Justin, Phil etc play that will help them to become a better golfer. I say get fitted and then try them all out but keep an open mind about the KING MIM's and try them out as they will surprise you in every possible way.   

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered mine 1/4" over $ taper no "connect" grip, I am worried about swing weight? I requested D2 but the guy was not sure if Cobra will adjust swing weight? How is turf interaction with these? I am a picker and only hit them inside...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

... I have written club reviews for many years now and usually have new irons in my bag every year. Sometimes it is difficult to let go of irons I really like and embrace the new irons. The truth is when it comes to modern Players Irons, it is very rare for one to have much of a performance advantage over another. I was playing the P790's in soft midwest conditions and loved them but wintered in Phoenix and they just did not spin enough to hold the hard and fast desert greens and I picked up a set of P760's. Problem solved. Almost all irons have trade offs and in this case the 760's produced more spin and a better feel while losing just a little forgiveness and distance. Next up I reviewed the Titleist T100-S and loved them too. 

... The T100-S get through the turf better than any Players Irons I have played and although the gapping was a little problematic for me at least, there was not much to complain about. Great feel, look awesome at address and are pretty forgiving for their size. I really wanted to keep these in the bag for a few years but as someone that played and really loved the Amp Forged/Fly Z+/Forged Tour series I just had to try the King Tour MIM irons. I'll skip the build up and just say these are the best irons I have ever played. There just isn't a trade off for me. They look great at address, they are very soft and dense feeling, amazingly forgiving and as others have stated especially the long irons but most importantly they are the most accurate irons I have played. Being realistic the T100-S and P760's should and with a robot are equally accurate but for me, the MIM's are spot on for distance and trajectory from the short to long irons and I just have complete confidence using them. Anecdotal for sure but I shot under my age for the first time last week carding a 67 with 6 birdies and 1 bogie on 18. The bogie the result of landing up against the lip of a fairway bunker so the MIM's were innocent. As some have surmised, they feel incredible when hit dead center, but miss the just a little and that soft/dense feel just isn't there, especially when hit toward the toe. Personally I love the feedback because the shot suffers very little when missed toe side and it's nice to know I did not catch it perfectly. There is something to be said about only feeling that perfect nirvana when, well it is perfect and golf is a game of misses and how good are those misses. 

... For my tastes the MIM's are the Goldilocks of Players Irons and not too small or too big, just the perfect size for a combination of forgiveness and playability. They get through the ground very nicely and again for me, they just don't have any trade offs. When I grew some very radical "bangs" in the 60's with the Beatles changing everything, older folks ridiculed the look and I swore when I got older I would never challenge any younger persons tastes but boy WRX fashionista's make that a difficult promise to keep. Why anyone cares what the back or sole of a club looks like is just baffling. There is sooooooo much that goes into the decision from the OEM's and they are constantly battling feedback from retailers that their club does not have enough shelf appeal, they have too much bling, they don't have enough bling, they don't stand out, they stand out too much, they have too much color, they don't have enough color. and on and on They do focus groups, they get feedback and they work really hard to get it juuuuuust right and then WRX members complain when it does not fit their narrow personal opinions. But hey, I grew bangs and some don't like the back/bottom of just about perfect clubs so fair enough. For fun, I removed the paint fill of my 4 iron and I have never noticed the change either than when I first did it and compared it to my 5 iron. 

1034583509_CobraKingPaintfill.jpg.476514c80e8a6439fc491bf4c816d02d.jpg

• Like 3

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

Between these and the i210 at the moment. Anyone have any comparison between the two? 

I am worried about the stock length of the Cobra though with their Arccos stuff and how that’s going to negatively affect swing weight when I change grips...

You can order the Cobra's without Arccos grips to start with.  That way there won't be issues changing grips in the future.

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2021 at 10:24 AM, chisag said:

... I have written club reviews for many years now and usually have new irons in my bag every year. Sometimes it is difficult to let go of irons I really like and embrace the new irons. The truth is when it comes to modern Players Irons, it is very rare for one to have much of a performance advantage over another. I was playing the P790's in soft midwest conditions and loved them but wintered in Phoenix and they just did not spin enough to hold the hard and fast desert greens and I picked up a set of P760's. Problem solved. Almost all irons have trade offs and in this case the 760's produced more spin and a better feel while losing just a little forgiveness and distance. Next up I reviewed the Titleist T100-S and loved them too. 

... The T100-S get through the turf better than any Players Irons I have played and although the gapping was a little problematic for me at least, there was not much to complain about. Great feel, look awesome at address and are pretty forgiving for their size. I really wanted to keep these in the bag for a few years but as someone that played and really loved the Amp Forged/Fly Z+/Forged Tour series I just had to try the King Tour MIM irons. I'll skip the build up and just say these are the best irons I have ever played. There just isn't a trade off for me. They look great at address, they are very soft and dense feeling, amazingly forgiving and as others have stated especially the long irons but most importantly they are the most accurate irons I have played. Being realistic the T100-S and P760's should and with a robot are equally accurate but for me, the MIM's are spot on for distance and trajectory from the short to long irons and I just have complete confidence using them. Anecdotal for sure but I shot under my age for the first time last week carding a 67 with 6 birdies and 1 bogie on 18. The bogie the result of landing up against the lip of a fairway bunker so the MIM's were innocent. As some have surmised, they feel incredible when hit dead center, but miss the just a little and that soft/dense feel just isn't there, especially when hit toward the toe. Personally I love the feedback because the shot suffers very little when missed toe side and it's nice to know I did not catch it perfectly. There is something to be said about only feeling that perfect nirvana when, well it is perfect and golf is a game of misses and how good are those misses. 

... For my tastes the MIM's are the Goldilocks of Players Irons and not too small or too big, just the perfect size for a combination of forgiveness and playability. They get through the ground very nicely and again for me, they just don't have any trade offs. When I grew some very radical "bangs" in the 60's with the Beatles changing everything, older folks ridiculed the look and I swore when I got older I would never challenge any younger persons tastes but boy WRX fashionista's make that a difficult promise to keep. Why anyone cares what the back or sole of a club looks like is just baffling. There is sooooooo much that goes into the decision from the OEM's and they are constantly battling feedback from retailers that their club does not have enough shelf appeal, they have too much bling, they don't have enough bling, they don't stand out, they stand out too much, they have too much color, they don't have enough color. and on and on They do focus groups, they get feedback and they work really hard to get it juuuuuust right and then WRX members complain when it does not fit their narrow personal opinions. But hey, I grew bangs and some don't like the back/bottom of just about perfect clubs so fair enough. For fun, I removed the paint fill of my 4 iron and I have never noticed the change either than when I first did it and compared it to my 5 iron. 

1034583509_CobraKingPaintfill.jpg.476514c80e8a6439fc491bf4c816d02d.jpg

How would you compare to the previous gen King Forged Tour? They definitely look smaller

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2020 at 3:44 PM, mtex22 said:

Hi again!

I just wanted to close the loop on my reviews. I was able to get these bad boys on one of my favorite courses I know well Torrey Pines North. Lots of mid and long irons to be used here. It was the same story really with my other reviews, these irons have really impressed me. They are great to look down at, feel is soft, soft soft! The distance is on par with anything Ive played recently but they really exceeded others in dispersion and the consistency of solid strikes are really up. Again I noticed an increase in spin which really helps on these firm greens. I really am also really enjoying the $ Taper shafts with these heads. What a solid combo!!

I don’t know what I’m jealous of more. The irons, or the course😂

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 3/5/2021 at 10:40 PM, mtex22 said:

I can’t tell you how much I agree with the statement on the ‘King’ branding. Way over the top for me. I have the RF Copper irons and one of the things that I love about their look is the less ‘kingy’ branding. Of course they play exceptionally well too! Absolutely love playing those clubs!

• Like 1