What’s the Worst Feeling in Golf?

Played in a flighted Stableford last Friday (112 competitors). I have 3 or 4 worst feelings from that single day of golf:

- Alley cat gets locked in my shop overnight and pisses on my golf bag. Don't notice until it is in the cab of my buddies truck. We could smell it 10' from the golf cart.

- Realizing that I forgot my golf shoes and wallet about 1/2 hour into a 1.5 hour drive. Played in tennis shoes, soaked feet from hole #1 on.

- Carding a +2 (37) on the front and coming completely UNDONE in the inbound 9 for a +18 54 (while sober no less).

- Getting stuck in traffic on the way home and moving about 2 miles in 2 hours, while my playing partner just mercilessly teases me about the back 9 I just had.      

I'm not sure which of those was the worst, probably the cat piss because that stuff is RANK.

• Like 1
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being paired with a couple of guys who play loud quasi-music, play from the tips, can't break 100, wait to tee off until the group in front is on the green... of a par 5, their longest drive of the 3 

the bubbling feeling on hole 11 after a turn dog and it's 95 degrees out with 80% humidity.🤣

Topping the ball on the first tee with groups lined up in back of of waiting to tee off. Ughh. 

Posted Images

Hitting into the next fairway...then seeing a cart (or worse a walker) pop out and head straight towards where you think it will land...

Ping G400 Max 9*// Diamana ‘ahina 70S
Callaway Super Hybrid 17* // Tensei Pro Orange 80S
Ping G25 Hybrid 20* // TFC 189F S
Mizuno 919 Forged 4-GW // KBS Tour V 110S
Ping Glide 3.0 56.14* WS / SM7 Raw 60.04* // S200
Black Lab BL-1 // Mid Slim 2.0

Waiting on a par 5 for the green to clear and then either chunking or topping the next shot, 3 putting from anywhere, losing a ball when you think you're safe. The last one I really only run into at my home course, it's got a lot of tight dog legs with blind tee shots. Some drives look perfect but if they travel too far or take a weird bounce they'll end up OB. 

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TS2 w/ PX EvenFlow Riptide CB 60 6.5

5 Wood: Callaway XR 16 w/ PX HZRDUS Black 85 6.5

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 w/ True Temper DG X100

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 w/ True Temper DG S400

Putter: Odyssey PT82

Thinking you "got it," only to realize it was a Band-aid for the day.

Getting shut out for the weekend tee-times.

Leaving the course after a round that had absolutely no positives.

Shooting three under on the front and backing it up with a 50 on the back.

Arriving at the course only to realize you left your clubs back at home.

Edited by Frankensteins Monster
  • Like 1
On 2/22/2021 at 9:45 PM, LeftDaddy said:

When you just completely lose your swing and lose all control over where the ball is going. Went through a stretch about a year and a half ago where this was the case for me. So brutal...nearly gave up on golf because of it. 

I had this happen last year.  It ranks a close second to what I still consider the worst feeling in golf and that is the sh..., sh..., sh..., hitting the hosel. 😱 

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

That's an easy one... "Hey Joe we're teeing off you can catch up with us." 

Correct and as a starter they will go as sch and I'll send mister I can't get there on time out to meet you. And if he doesn't act all awipe might even give him a ride out 🙂

Being stiff and being cold are the worst feelings to me.  If I lose dexterity in my fingers when playing in cold temps it becomes very challenging to gauge distance with putting.  Being stiff is awful, I've learned that if I have an early morning tee time I have to be up quite a bit before so I can get my muscles ready to go.

Driver: Titleist 905S (YS-9.1x, 44")

3 Fwy: Titleist PT (DG X-100, 43")

2-PW: Macgregor JNP Forged (Rifle 6.8 hard step)

SW/LW: Vokey SM4 C-C

Putter: Mitchell

3 putting when you had a birdie putt and end up with a bogie.

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5° - Fuji Speeder 569 IV

Mizuno ST190 3W - GD AD DI 6

Mizuno JPX 900 5W - Fuji Speeder 661 II

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 - DG120 S300

Mizuno JPX Forged 919 (5-PW) - DG120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM5 52°/12° F Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 58°/11° K Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

The worst feeling is when you truly figure it out (No I don't mean a youtube swing tip) but you work through some issues, find your swing with your coach and start lasering balls, only to show up to your annual friends outing as the same old guy (or worse).

Nothing worse than losing all muscle memory and being drunk behind the wheel for a weekend of golf losing 6+ balls a round.

A skullfucked chip shot can't hold a candle to the agony of my buddies watching me suck for another year. 

Edited by TurnDog69
  • Like 1

When my putting yips were prevalent, I had 20 feet up the hill after a mighty recovery from the trees. Had to punch fade a 3 iron between two bunkers onto the front edge. 

So I had 20 feet. Uphill, right to left, into the grain.

I hit it 20 feet by. Same putt coming back. I right then lost all touch and feel for putting. I began to 4-putt from 5 feet for around a month. That's the worst feeling in golf.

I've since overcome my yips, and now putt really well, but I remember that.

• 2 weeks later...

To me, the worst feeling is knowing you can't play the game like you did 10 years ago. You spend almost every day from 18-28 playing golf, and then marriage and kids come.

I was never a "great" player. The lowest I ever got HCP-wise was a +2, albeit playing the same couple of hometown tracks consistently and often from the white tees. 

But, I go back and look at old swing videos and realize I'll never be able to swing it like that again. I'll pull out my sticks from when I was in college and realize I'll never wear out a sweet spot like that again.

I'll shoot that round in the high-70s nowadays and be tickled to death about it, whereas I would've fumed over it previously. Maybe once a year, or once every two years a round in the 60's comes out of nowhere just to tease me (and I'll brilliantly follow it up with an 80).

Last call?

Driver: Ping G425 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 (14.5 Degree) - Hzrdus Black 5.5
5 Wood: Ping G400 (17.5 Degree) - Tour 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams A12 Pro (23 Degree) - RIP Proto 80
Irons: Mizuno MP -20 (MMC) 6-PW - KBS S Taper (120 Stiff)
Vokey (50 Degree) SM7 F Grind - KBS Tour
Vokey (54 Degree) SM7 F Grind - KBS Tour
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

Spending your round playing catch up.

Construction and an accident made me show up only 15 minutes before tee time. Spent 5 looking for my partner. He's in the cart warmed up already. Paired with 2 members and it's our first time playing. They drop bombs from the back tees. I heel one into the left woods. My Garmin watch can't find the course, I don't know my distances. The members drop on to the green. My punch hits a tree, my second gets me out to the fairway. The members have driven up to the green. Wedge up and roll off the back. I get to the green and they've already putt up. I chip on.... where's my divot tool and ball marker?? They tap in and I 2 putt. I get to 2nd tee and they're hitting. Why can't my watch find this course??? Slice my drive. Still can't find the course on my Garmin. My partner tells me there are 3 courses under the name, and we're playing X course. Found it. Now I have yardages. 

Spent 80% of the round feeling like I was trying to keep up, playing outside of my pace and chasing a swing. Couldn't get my heart rate down and I played like it. Did finally find my ball marker on 16, it was in the bottom of my ball pocket for some reason.