2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Do you really need a wedge with more loft than 55 or 56 degree in your bag...

Rapidcat

@ChipNRun

Its a small world brother. I've played Sill dozens of times. The Corps sent me to 29 stumps instead, but then again I wasn't artillery although I once was staff NCO on an artillery security team. Semper Fi

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

6 minutes ago, rkillian said:

While I'm not quite sure I had much of a point in mind, thanks anyway haha. I have room in the bag right now and even if I went 52/56/60 that would take me to 13 and that may be what I do next. But I do have to say, using a 52 for as much as possible inside 100 yards and moving to the 58 only when it seems its truley called for is working ok. I know what a half swing with each does which is helpful.  For me and where my current journey through golf is, options can ge a blessing or a curse. 

One of my goals this offseason is to get onto a simulator with a decent amount of time, and grind out the feel of a 3/4 swing and 1/2 swing with all my wedges (and hopefully the rest of my irons) so I have options from distances. It will hopefully allow me more consistency inside 100 yards so I can hit more greens. We will see! It and putting are my two big goals this offseason.

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I currently carry a 49* GW and a 56* SW. But I am considering maybe adding a 52* wedge back into my bag. However, I am not interested in anything higher than 56*. When I play with guys who have 58*-60* wedges they tend to use them around the green when they should probably be hitting the shot with a PW or 9 iron. For me there are almost no instances that I can imagine where I would "need" anything higher lofted than the 56*.

• Like 1

PXG 0211 12° driver with Project X Cypher shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
Srixon Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 19° and 22° 3 and 4 hybrids w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

Maltby KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid with KuroKage Black shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid 
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

Cleveland CBX2 50° GW w/Rotex wedge flex shaft
Maltby M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
Cleveland  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

8 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

....if you can open up your 55 or 56 degree wedge because the grind enables it and you have the skill/technique?

The advantage to "capping" your wedges at 55 or 56 degrees can be only 3 wedges needed: mid 40 degree PW, c.50 degree GW then your 55/56 degree SW.

So your SW does double duty as a lob wedge.

Naturally this opens up a slot in your bag for another club.

Some will say more wedges and so greater versatility at the short end of your bag is more important. Maybe less wedges though simplifies your decision making per shot and builds your familiarity and so execution with the lesser number of clubs.

What are the considerations? Technique? Grind? Simplified club selection vs versatility?

I don't think you can open a 55-56 enough on some shots before you can't - the grind can limit you. I like a 58-59 as the tweeter lob wedge. It can stay low or very high and you don't need to open it outlandishly. Some also prefer a higher bounce grind in the 54-56 and more trailing edge relief on the 58-60.  I think a 58 is more useful right around the green to a close flag.

I can go 49-54-59 or 50-54-58 or some variation.

Edited by SwingMan

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I have a 54* sw that is used often. When I open it up I can turn it into a 60* like wedge shot. I really don't trust myself doing that during competitive golf, but it's amazing what the possibilities are for an accomplished golfer. I think a 58*, with the right bounce, can be used like a 60-62* wedge without much difficulty.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

8 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

....if you can open up your 55 or 56 degree wedge because the grind enables it and you have the skill/technique?

The advantage to "capping" your wedges at 55 or 56 degrees can be only 3 wedges needed: mid 40 degree PW, c.50 degree GW then your 55/56 degree SW.

So your SW does double duty as a lob wedge.

Naturally this opens up a slot in your bag for another club.

Some will say more wedges and so greater versatility at the short end of your bag is more important. Maybe less wedges though simplifies your decision making per shot and builds your familiarity and so execution with the lesser number of clubs.

What are the considerations? Technique? Grind? Simplified club selection vs versatility?

Here in Phoenix, the bunkers suck at most courses...Some nice courses have decent bunkers but a lot of the bunkers here are a thin layers of sand on top of packed "hardpan", or some don't even have that thin layer on top. So in some of our bunkers, bounce is not your friend, so opening up a sand wedge or a lower lofted club just compounds the issue.

In this situation loft and low bounce is your friend, because you can close the face of a 60 degree wedge so that the leading edge will dig into this packed sand and allow you to hit a bunker style shot.

The other issue can be spin. The grooves of most clubs are designed produce the most spin when square. Yes design has come a long way and new designs allow some wedges to maintain a lot more of the spin with the face manipulated. But if you need or want to hit a high shot with a lot of spin, more loft will be more effective than face manipulation.

Edited by 1Mordrid1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

You can implement the clock system with any 4 clubs.  9 iron, PW, GW, SW will work fine too. The advantage of the LW is that it can be played shorter than the 1/2 or 1/4 swing SW. 

Maaaany years ago I lived in Enid, OK, and the public course pro encouraged his students to develop a half-swing arsenal. He had us work on a half swing with our shorter clubs, 7i up through SW. (this was before SW and GW were prominent.) This worked well for a couple of years, but then I had two seasons with no time for golf, and I never got it back.

58 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

And that's where it shined for Kite. Like his famous holeout on #7 at Pebble Beach in 92.

Ah, yes. I saw Kite in action at the 2004 US Senior Open at Bellerive CC in St. Louis. On one hole, he drove into the rough on a par 4. He laid up short of the green, leaving him about 82 yards from the hole. From chatter with his caddie, I gathered this was his ideal distance for LW. But, he was on an uphill lie, and was unsettled over the shot. Kite dropped the LW shot a foot from the hole, but it spun back to the fringe and he ended up with bogie.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

7 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

In the area I live a 58 works better with the sand we have. I'd never give up my 58.

I agree with braincamp52!  I have come to depend on my 58° LW for a variety of shots from greenside (bunker, rough) to shots within 80-85 yards, flop shots, punch and run shots, shots that will hop two or three times then stop.  My 58° LW has become one of my most dependable clubs in my bag, one that I have as much trust in than any other.

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I really like having multiple bounce options. My 56 is high bounce with is great for some shots and some sand and 60 is more mid to low bounce with I like for other shots and harder sand.

I supposed I could rotate wedges in and out of the bag based on the course condition or weather as I mostly use my 60* on my home course most of the year given the type of sand we have. 

I am one of those folks that will play a 'full' 60* wedge. It is a controlled wedge swing but goes 95 yards and this tend to be a good number to have in the bag for me.

For me no way. BUT if you can use one correctly and practice with it go for it. Believe they can be used for fast hard greens and where landing a ball to a tight pin placements much better than a 56 degree with a wide open blade. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

9 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

In the area I live a 58 works better with the sand we have. I'd never give up my 58.

In my opinion, a 58* is a SW.   <shrug>

Being topical....  you can play with a 56* as your highest loft.  I've done it for long periods with no change in my overall scores.  But its highly player dependent.

These days, I'll go to 58* most of the time, and sometimes carry a 60*, a fair portion of that due to bunkers at my course, and that I've become accustomed to that loft range in my bag.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Ive done this already to where I carry just a Pw, 52 and 60. The versatility with my 52 just opens the options for me. In the bunker, Im usually opening up a 56 anyways so with the 60, Im pretty much where I need to be specially when talking about greenside bunkers. Really dont need the 56 for me so that opens up one slot or I just carry 13 clubs. 1 club less equals 2 cans of beer. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

In my 2nd bag that I keep at my vacation condo, I have a pw, gap and 56*. And only 12 clubs. Works just fine. 

Edited by bullie76

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

I played a 56* till I started playing more tournaments. A few of them played on courses with what I would call hard, fast greens. If the pin was front I couldn't stop the ball  and if I landed it before the green it just stayed put. That was one of my reasons for going to the 60*. The other.... hardpan bunkers 60* just cuts through easier.

Edited by sailfishchris
  • Like 1

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

As you have pointed out, yes, it is sometimes useful to have the 60º wedge.

I carry one as more or less a specialty club.  It is an older Cleveland 588 with only 4º bounce.  I use it on wet sand (you know, after a recent rain and the sand is like concrete?) or hard-pan lie around the green.  In both cases, I don't want the 10-12º of bounce that a regular SW has (but of course, still want the high bounce for soft sand/ground conditions).  

So it's not so much 60º, it's the difference in the bounce that I want.

• Thanks 1

Anything 50 yards or less I use a lob wedge, 50-100 is SW.  I used to use SW for everything 100 and less but the lob wedge gives me a little more flexibility, especially out of the sand when short sided.  

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

6 hours ago, pinestreetgolf said:

Its not a debate of whether a 60 or 56 is better around the green.  That is dumb debate, it is 100% player specific.  Whether or not to use the clock system with 2-3-4 wedges is an interesting debate - I think it probably does, which is why I play a LW.

Also, it can be turf-specific, especially when you face different actions of greens crews.

If it's been raining for two days, and the greenside areas haven't been mowed, a LW may not be the club. The 54° SW more clubface on the ball quicker out of uneven shag than a 58° LW (a bit too much loft).

Another situation: If no rain in two weeks, if the green is in the wide open sun, a pitch and run with PW off first-cut may be best, because a LW would come down too steep and ricochet upon landing.

A 20-yard shot over a greenside ridge... a 40-yard dart into the upper shelf of a terraced green... that's where the LW makes money.

{Shot skill + turf awareness} = short putts

• Like 4

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

To the OP.  "Do you really need...?" No, but depends on how you learned to use your clubs/wedges.  As far as the bag is concerned, 58/60* Lob Wedge hasn't always been around.  When I took up the game at 40, in 1990 it was still not a club most golfers carried, 56* was the common low lofted wedge.

What's needed in the bag, as I see it.  Every iron should have at least 3-distances, 10-12yds long, standard carry distance, and 10-12yds short, regardless of strong or weak lofts.  No gaps because you have the ability to adjust your swing length.  I carry 47* PW, 52* SW and 58* LW, and I can do everything with those 3 inside of about 125-130 yds, and my 9i is 130yd club, etc.

Where we've got off line with strong lofts, people see yardage gaps and look for a club to fill it, as opposed to learning to adjust swing length and picking another club to cover the artificial gap.  We only have 13 clubs but you have a lot more than the obvious.  For example, I can use 180yd 4i for 140yds if I need to or 3i for 130yds etc, by adjusting swing length and my setup. 

But what this ends up being, least for the average person that carries multiple wedges, each wedge really means one full swing; in other words, if you got 4 wedges all you got is 4 swings, loft is the difference.  That is the express reason more wedges and strong lofts came into the picture.  People couldn't easily make 3/4, half or 1/4 swings, they'd rather buy clubs.

Damn, I love this game.  Can't wait to play this weekend.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

11 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

Personally, for my game, on the variety of courses I regularly play - 100%, yes, I want to have the 60 LW in the quiver.

It's a super versatile club for me:

• Hard sand or thin sand over hardpan bunker shots are just as common here as regular, softer sand. Playing muni/public courses, bunker consistency is not something I can count on. The low-bounce 60 is far less at risk for skipping off the hard surface and blading a ball over the green. My regular SW is a relatively high bounce (for the other sorts of bunkers where the sand is deeper/softer), and opening it up exposes more bounce, which can put those skipped blades into play. No bueno.
  • Short sided chip shots off tighter lies. Same logic as above - tighter lies are more comfortable to me with less bounce in play. Sure, if the lie isn't super tight or firm, I can easily open up a SW for more loft, but sometimes it's not.
  • Sometimes, you just have to hit the high flying lob/flop shot. Again, depending on lie/bounce, a SW can do this, but the LW gives another option and can pull of the more extreme version of this more reliably.

So for me, it mostly comes down to having options on bounce, more than loft.

I almost never hit a full LW, so that's not a shot I worry about. I'm very comfortable hitting partial wedges with my SW/GW, so that is covered.

This post exactly describes why I carry a low bounce 60.  I don't understand why folks want fewer options around the green, where it can be so easy to turn 3 shots into 2 when you have the right tool at hand.  True, there is an opportunity cost, but for me, I couldn't find a different "14th club" that could save/gain as many strokes.  The problem for most folks isn't carrying a lob wedge, it's using it when they shouldn't.

Edit: another reason for the LW: it goes higher/softer without opening the face (or without opening it as much).  Sure, you can open the face to add loft to a SW, but I'd rather have my short game shots be something closer to my normal swing, rather than having to set up and swing much differently than "normal."  

Edited by DaveGoodrich
  • Like 2
Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I am liking my current setup which is 50-56-56. I have a different grind and more bounce on the 56 compared to the 60. I use my 60 almost exclusively from 100 down to 30 yards out and mix it up depending on the shot from 30 and in. I’d really miss the 60 if I took it out and wouldn’t get the equivalent benefit from putting a 3 iron back in. 

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

But what this ends up being, least for the average person that carries multiple wedges, each wedge really means one full swing; in other words, if you got 4 wedges all you got is 4 swings, loft is the difference.  That is the express reason more wedges and strong lofts came into the picture.  People couldn't easily make 3/4, half or 1/4 swings, they'd rather buy clubs.

This may be true for higher cap players.  But playing more wedges isn't always just about trying to make everything a "stock" distance.  For someone with the skill to hit the partial shots you mention, more wedges will mean more options for trajectory and spin at any distances inside the pitching wedge.  For me, I think that having those options helps my scoring more than something else I could put in play if I took out a wedge.   

• Like 1
Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I cary 4 wedges...PW, 48, 54 and 58.

I use my 58 ALL the time around the greens and usually from 30 yards in. My 54 is used for longer chip shots, or other areas I need the bounce and loft. I have different grinds on all of the wedges because I play a verity of shots. My shortgame is the reason I have my HC and Score every week. Why limit yourself, get creative and learn how to make different shots.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

Yes, I really prefer having a club with more loft than 56 degrees. I play 90+ % of greenside shots with a 60 degree opened up (degree of openness varies). Easiest way to short game for me. Could I play a 56 as my highest lofted club? Sure. Is it optimal when you play courses with fast greens? No

Edited by b.mattay

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

13 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

To the OP.  "Do you really need...?" No, but depends on how you learned to use your clubs/wedges.  As far as the bag is concerned, 58/60* Lob Wedge hasn't always been around.  When I took up the game at 40, in 1990 it was still not a club most golfers carried, 56* was the common low lofted wedge.

Wanted to micro-address this point.

These lofts *have* been around for a long time.  A collector of classic wedges tells me a considerable number of the sand irons he has acquired are 58* or 60*.  These go back to the 40s and 30s, to the creation of the club. 

In the era of 53* or 52* PW lofts, many sand wedges were 58* standard.  

The 55* or 56* SW is as much a product of loft creep as the 20* 7 wood.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

21 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

These lofts *have* been around for a long time.  A collector of classic wedges tells me a considerable number of the sand irons he has acquired are 58* or 60*.  These go back to the 40s and 30s, to the creation of the club. 

Those sort of lofts may have been around for even longer than that.  I recall seeing some high lofted Niblicks from the hickory era prior to the creation of the sand iron by Gene Sarazen in 1932.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Yes. At my age I don't hit the ball far enough to carry a 3 wood. Useless club in my bag, and will get more use out of 4 wedges.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

For 20 years off and on I tried various 58*and 60* wedges, but those lofts cost me too many shots.

However , the 64* I put in the bag about a year ago has been a sensational club for me. 

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter