2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

First Sim Setup - Advice Mevo+ E6 Connect vs. Skytrak = TGC2019

ben7e

Hi All,

Reading through lots of good topics here. I have just ordered a used Skytrak but second guessing maybe going Mevo +. I had been between the two units anyway and have the space for Mevo + if I want to go that way. 

I am mainly wondering for those who have compared if the included E6 connect gameplay is worse than TGC2019 or not. Being able to play everything from an ipad seems convenient and the one thing I don't like in watching TGC2019 play is that is seems like you have to manually choose each club. It seems this is not the case for E6?

The only thing I wasn't crazy about with Mevo + is that if I want to just do a range setup and get good data feedback and that I have to use an iPad or android device and then if I want to play TGC2019 and not E6 that I need to change devices. TGC2019 doesn't offer the data type of range so it doesn't solve that issue if I want to just run Mevo+ with a PC.

So, I guess my question is - do I go Skytrak and run it with TGC2019 (or something else)? Or, do I run Mevo+ just with everything that is included and maybe update to TGC2019 or a bigger version of E6? Which offers the best experience in the opinion of those who have tried both?

Driver: Cobra SZ 9*

4 Wood: Wishon EQ1-NX

4/5 Hybrids: Wishon EQ1-NX

5-GW: Sub 70 659 CB DG 105

56/60: TaylorMade Milled Grind

Putter: Edel E-3

32 minutes ago, MH2 said:

Why not just get e6 for the Skytrak?

That is an option. It seems most feel TGC2019 is better than E6. Mevo+ comes with a 5 course version of E6 for iPad so may be a good way to start. TGC2019 is considerably cheaper on Mevo+ but E6 has a better annual option for Skytrak but you need the $99 annual charge on the Skytrak plan on top of that as well so I feel unless using the Mevo+ included course package only  that software costs are a fair expense. E6 on Mevo+ is the most expensive by far since you have to pay the $2500 +$300 subscription.

2 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

Mevo+ doesn’t require $2,500 for the PC version, just the annual $300 or $600 for all the courses. Here are a couple of articles that may be useful:

Mevo plus vs Skytrak

E6 Connect vs TGC2019

Ah thanks, I didn't realize the waiving of the $2500 applied to Mevo+ as well. I was leaning towards TGC2019 but either way, I found it odd that Mevo+ included E6 but they were charging the fee and Skytrak wasn't...now I know I was wrong!

Funny enough, I think I've read both of those comparison articles too. Do you have experience with these choices yourself? Which would you recommend? I think I am leaning Mevo+ right now for the lack of delay, and easier setup when switching to a lefty player and even considering just going with the included software to start with.

1 hour ago, ben7e said:

Ah thanks, I didn't realize the waiving of the $2500 applied to Mevo+ as well. I was leaning towards TGC2019 but either way, I found it odd that Mevo+ included E6 but they were charging the fee and Skytrak wasn't...now I know I was wrong!

Funny enough, I think I've read both of those comparison articles too. Do you have experience with these choices yourself? Which would you recommend? I think I am leaning Mevo+ right now for the lack of delay, and easier setup when switching to a lefty player and even considering just going with the included software to start with.

I have a Mevo+. My reasons were (in order of importance)

1. The Skytrak delay. I had a driver fitting indoors when the projector wasn’t working and I had to walk over probably 8 to 10 paces to a PC behind the bay to see the ball flight. It totally threw me out; it felt like I had no mental connection between the swing and the result with the delayed feedback.

2. The Mevo+ Swing camera integration, both on the unit itself or with a phone/tablet. I am using my sim primarily for working on my swing as well as dialling in wedge distances, so video is important.

3. Mevo+ has actual measured (not estimated) club data like AoA and club head speed.

4. There is a chance that at some point club path/ face to path could get released for Mevo+, I assume for a fee. Some of the marketing and support guys from FS have said that it’s not technically possible but Henri Johnston (FS CEO) said “watch this space” in one of his webinars in response to face/path requests. I’m hopeful that the massive demand for those parameters plus the possible future competition from the Fullswing Kit (if they deliver on their promises) causes FS to solve the technical challenges or release the parameters.

5. FS is a bigger company and seems to have a higher pace of updates to their products etc.

6. Sim play is a bonus for me and I’m happy to laugh off putting and use auto-putt and I don’t mind the occasional no read on chips.

I think it comes down to what your use case scenario is and your non-negotiables. Also important IMO to have realistic expectations. The people on forums and Facebook who get most frustrated seem to expect $20K launch monitor performance from a $2K LM. I can accept that I have to fiddle around a bit to find my optimum setup and there are less parameters available and a few general compromises for the price difference,

Edited by GolfTurkey
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

I have a Mevo+. My reasons were (in order of importance)

1. The Skytrak delay. I had a driver fitting indoors when the projector wasn’t working and I had to walk over probably 8 to 10 paces to a PC behind the bay to see the ball flight. It totally threw me out; it felt like I had no mental connection between the swing and the result with the delayed feedback.

2. The Mevo+ Swing camera integration, both on the unit itself or with a phone/tablet. I am using my sim primarily for working on my swing as well as dialling in wedge distances, so video is important.

3. Mevo+ has actual measured (not estimated) club data like AoA and club head speed.

4. There is a chance that at some point club path/ face to path could get released for Mevo+, I assume for a fee. Some of the marketing and support guys from FS have said that it’s not technically possible but Henri Johnston (FS CEO) said “watch this space” in one of his webinars in response to face/path requests. I’m hopeful that the massive demand for those parameters plus the possible future competition from the Fullswing Kit (if they deliver on their promises) causes FS to solve the technical challenges or release the parameters.

5. FS is a bigger company and seems to have a higher pace of updates to their products etc.

6. Sim play is a bonus for me and I’m happy to laugh off putting and use auto-putt and I don’t mind the occasional no read on chips.

I think it comes down to what your use case scenario is and your non-negotiables. Also important IMO to have realistic expectations. The people on forums and Facebook who get most frustrated seem to expect $20K launch monitor performance from a $2K LM. I can accept that I have to fiddle around a bit to find my optimum setup and there are less parameters available and a few general compromises for the price difference,

Thanks for the detailed response!

I think I mentioned in the OP that I had bought a Skytrak but I think I will just turn around and list it back up since they are currently so in demand and if I get it out there before Christmas it should sell quick for what I paid or close to it.

The Mevo+ seems to have some nice upsides as far as I am concerned. I like the video features as well and it seems to be very nice without even adding on. It also seems to be a bit more accurate horizontally.

I have both and would agree the Mevo+ is superior. Better/more data points, instant shot reads, and much larger hitting area (don’t have to worry about hitting on the red dot)

also, don’t sleep on E6 connect. Yes you pay an annual fee, but remember with an annual fee comes free updates. With TGC you pay the fee for lifetime use, but new versions will always come out so don’t really think you’ll get more than a few years out of that ‘lifetime’ subscription. Also TGC requires a gaming computer and E6 runs well of any recent iPad...seems like most people have an iPad laying around to run it.

54 minutes ago, Ac18 said:

I have both and would agree the Mevo+ is superior. Better/more data points, instant shot reads, and much larger hitting area (don’t have to worry about hitting on the red dot)

also, don’t sleep on E6 connect. Yes you pay an annual fee, but remember with an annual fee comes free updates. With TGC you pay the fee for lifetime use, but new versions will always come out so don’t really think you’ll get more than a few years out of that ‘lifetime’ subscription. Also TGC requires a gaming computer and E6 runs well of any recent iPad...seems like most people have an iPad laying around to run it.

I thought about that with E6 Connect and on paper, I thought E6 seemed like the better choice but the first 10 or so people I asked or talked to about it said they preferred TGC2019. I was originally leaning toward E6 for the reasons you say. There is actually a place nearby that has E6 so I can probably check it out.

23 hours ago, Ac18 said:

Do you primarily use your mevo + inside? 

On 12/14/2020 at 11:39 AM, Ac18 said:

Only tough thing with Mevo+ is having enough space. Putting is pretty rough on it too, not to say Skytrak is much better.

9 hours ago, MH2 said:

Any issues with accuracy? I have been reading mixed reviews on indoor use 

Other than the crazy backspin when playing on e6 I haven’t had any issues with the 8’ between unit and ball and 10’ between ball and impact screen. I’ve even tried backing up a foot for an additional foot between ball and screen and didn’t notice much difference. 

• Like 1

ive got a skytrak did try mevo and also had use of a trackman in my setup for most of lockdown, for me the skytrak was better indoors than mevo, mainly due to limited indoor space, I often set both skytrak and TM up for comparison and they were both pretty similar, the secret to skytrak is the initial setup and alignment etc once that's sorted its a great piece of kit.  has the odd misread but so does the TM.

bACKWALL.jpeg

DOWNLINE TM.jpeg