Wedge Preference question

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I greatly admire Vokey wedge technology but have never liked the feel.   Cleveland and Callaway have always been tops with me, with an occasional venture into Tour Edge forged offerings.

Any love for Maltby wedges here? I recently got GW and SW in the M-Series+ Tour model, and LW in the lower bounce Tour Grind MG. All with DG Tour Issue Black Onyx shafts for $80 apiece. I love them so

I think there is something to this. I've been playing Ping irons since the early 2000's. I've also used mostly Ping wedges. They look and feel like the irons and blend perfectly into the set. I've tri

Posted Images

I’m a Vokey guy but I decided to try a 56 degree Cleveland CB 2 . I’m not the best at hitting center of the face and thought it might help a little 

• Like 1

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

I bought the TaylorMade Milled Grind’s recently and absolutely love them...will be gaming these for a while! My set up is 52-09, 56-12, 60-10, all SB...really solid clubs I would definitely recommend!

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik (10.5*) / Tensei AV Blue 65

Callaway Mavrik (15*) / Rogue White 130 M.S.I. 70

Srixon Z H85 (19*) / Hzrdus Black 6.0 85

TaylorMade P790 (4), (5-PW Coming soon...)

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50-54-58 Mid) / Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade SOTO Tour Preferred (36")

🇨🇦

If I were buying Wedges again now, I would probably go with 54 & 58 (or 55 & 60) to go with the PW though, but I see you already go 52 & 56 so you’re already comfortable w/ just 3 wedges. So many people & Pros use Vokey’s even with a bag full of other manufacturers’ clubs that I would give Vokey’s a hard look next time around too, but it’s all about best personal fit at the end of the day.

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 1

🇨🇦

So many good options. Vokey, Cleveland, Ping, TM, Callaway. I don’t think you can make a wrong decision. Just ind something you like the looks and shape, then try them to find the grind options that work best for you.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

I was a long time Callaway wedge guy, all the back to the original Mack Daddy’s but I’m making the switch to SM8s for next season. They just seemed to work for me when I demoed them. My 54D just got here and I’m waiting on the WedgeWorks 58 to arrive. 

WITB Thread

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 7x

TSi2 16.5* / Ventus Black 8x

TSi2 21* / Ventus Red 9x

T100•s 4-9 / DG X7

SM8 46 / DG X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / DG TI X1

Squareback 2 - One and Done - ER5

I greatly admire Vokey wedge technology but have never liked the feel.

Cleveland and Callaway have always been tops with me, with an occasional venture into Tour Edge forged offerings.

• Like 3

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

How do you guys feel about Wedges matching your Irons, or being similar feeling? I feel like everyone’s preference in Wedges would be closely tied to what type of Irons you game and what your preference is there right? For example, I bought Cleveland Wedges (can’t remember if they were CBX or RTX) a couple of months back because they were an awesome price, but ended up returning them within 48 hours because the feel was so different from my Irons and what I’m comfortable with. I feel like that’s a huge factor...what Irons do you have, and what will most fit your swing, your eye, and what you’re comfortable with.

🇨🇦

3 hours ago, BallerNate said:

How do you guys feel about Wedges matching your Irons, or being similar feeling? I feel like everyone’s preference in Wedges would be closely tied to what type of Irons you game and what your preference is there right? For example, I bought Cleveland Wedges (can’t remember if they were CBX or RTX) a couple of months back because they were an awesome price, but ended up returning them within 48 hours because the feel was so different from my Irons and what I’m comfortable with. I feel like that’s a huge factor...what Irons do you have, and what will most fit your swing, your eye, and what you’re comfortable with.

I used to be of the mind to match everything. But now I just play what looks, feels, and performs the best.

Evnroll TR8 33"

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

I used to be of the mind to match everything. But now I just play what looks, feels, and performs the best.

I don’t mean matching brands necessarily, just more so the type of club style. For example my Irons are blades/Player’s clubs, so wedges with the bigger heads now feel bulky and heavy....but when I used to game older more traditional clubs I never would’ve imagine being comfortable using Wedges like Vokey’s or TM Milled Grind’s etc.

🇨🇦

On 12/13/2020 at 6:21 PM, BallerNate said:

I think there is something to this. I've been playing Ping irons since the early 2000's. I've also used mostly Ping wedges. They look and feel like the irons and blend perfectly into the set. I've tried other brands at times but always go back to the Pings. I think the Pings are as good as any.

• Like 2

Cobra F8
Cobra F8 15.5*
Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
Ping i200 6- uw
Ping Glide 3.0  54 & 60
Toulon Atlanta

1 hour ago, CDLgolf said:

I think there is something to this. I've been playing Ping irons since the early 2000's. I've also used mostly Ping wedges. They look and feel like the irons and blend perfectly into the set. I've tried other brands at times but always go back to the Pings. I think the Pings are as good as any.

Yeah, I think it definitely helps. I upgraded my whole bag this season and am still getting used to it, but I went with TaylorMade Tour Preferred irons and TaylorMade Milled Grind wedges, and I find it’s a seamless transition with practicing and hitting all my wedges and irons that have similar feel and look. If I were to change the wedges or irons to a different brand, I would only look for ones that were similar set up so that there’s no adjustment in swing patterns and feel from club to club...but that’s just my 0.02 

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 1

🇨🇦

I've played Titleist irons since the early 2000's and in that time I've used Vokey, Callaway, Cleveland, and Ping wedges. Currently playing Callaway, though I'm about to order some Cleveland ZipCore wedges. I can't figure out what's going on with Callaway and their PM grind - they seem to be totally unavailable at the moment, which sucks because I want one of them at 64.

My preference is Callaway and Cleveland - I have never really liked Vokeys. Don't know why. Don't like Ping so much either, and I'm not a fan of anything Taylormade even though the MG2 wedges look sweet as.

On 12/13/2020 at 5:21 PM, BallerNate said:

How do you guys feel about Wedges matching your Irons, or being similar feeling?

One big aspect of matching involves a good loft/distance match.

If the irons set expands to G, S and L wedges, do these match your playing style.

I usually play GI irons, but sometimes choose more aggressive wedges. Wedges have shorter shafts than irons, and are easy to control with a little practice, and more bladish wedges can deliver more precise shots. Half the time, set wedges beyond PW feel klunky.

Also, it depends on your wedge play style. If you mainly use square face wedge shots, set wedges may get it done for you.

One of the big debates is whether you should have heavier shafts on your wedges than on your irons. GolfWRX has many threads on this topic, so look them up.

Advice from Vokey rep: If you use a wedge mainly for full shots, match shaft to your wedges. For wedges used mainly for partials (often SW and LW) you might softstep the shaft so you get more spin on partial shots. Some also recommend softstepping a slightly heavier shaft. Again, look up the many threads on this wedge shaft weight topic.

• Like 2

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

16 minutes ago, steventoo said:

I can't figure out what's going on with Callaway and their PM grind - they seem to be totally unavailable at the moment, which sucks because I want one of them at 64.

Talked to a golf shop manager today. He said golf supply chain is spotty because of COVID disruption of component parts, and curtailed factory production (COVID spacing between work stations, like only half of tables in restaurant are available).

He specifically said that Callaway particularly was hard to assess, given new product releases coming out in 2021. The MD-PM came out in 2019, and may be in "what's left" status. Note the Mac Daddy CB wedges arrived this fall. 

Note: Callaway PreOwned has MD-PM 64*/10 wedges available, one in Chrome and one in Tour Gray. Place your order quick!

On 12/13/2020 at 5:43 PM, ChipNRun said:

Cleveland and Callaway have always been tops with me, with an occasional venture into Tour Edge forged offerings.

Same here.  I’ve never played well or hit any line of Vokeys well.  I’ve played Cally wedges now for 8 years or so.  The look just suits my eye.  That being said I might try Cleveland again, they were what I gamed prior to Cally.  

No luck with Pings, felt to light and not a solid feel.  Never played much with TM wedges. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

One big aspect of matching involves a good loft/distance match.

If the irons set expands to G, S and L wedges, do these match your playing style.

I usually play GI irons, but sometimes choose more aggressive wedges. Wedges have shorter shafts than irons, and are easy to control with a little practice, and more bladish wedges can deliver more precise shots. Half the time, set wedges beyond PW feel klunky.

Also, it depends on your wedge play style. If you mainly use square face wedge shots, set wedges may get it done for you.

One of the big debates is whether you should have heavier shafts on your wedges than on your irons. GolfWRX has many threads on this topic, so look them up.

Advice from Vokey rep: If you use a wedge mainly for full shots, match shaft to your wedges. For wedges used mainly for partials (often SW and LW) you might softstep the shaft so you get more spin on partial shots. Some also recommend softstepping a slightly heavier shaft. Again, look up the many threads on this wedge shaft weight topic.

Great info ChipNRun, makes total sense. The wedges being a continuation of the iron set makes total sense to me, and gapping lofts/distances between clubs makes total sense. I’ll check out that info on weight of wedges and soft-stepping for sure, learning a ton from this forum, amazing stuff!!

🇨🇦

3 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

...gapping lofts/distances between clubs makes total sense.

i got a rough fitting on Titleist wedges a couple of years ago. I was considering Vokeys for G, S and L to use with another company's irons and PW.

The set PW was 46*. After making some baseline shots, the best mix for me turned out to be 50*, 56* and 60*. For some reason, the 54* carried only about 8 yards short of the 50*, so I had to go to 56* to get a more even distance spread.

That's why you want (hopefully post-COVID) to hit the wedges outdoors to get best idea of distance and turf interaction (helps with picking grind). 

2 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

i got a rough fitting on Titleist wedges a couple of years ago. I was considering Vokeys for G, S and L to use with another company's irons and PW.

The set PW was 46*. After making some baseline shots, the best mix for me turned out to be 50*, 56* and 60*. For some reason, the 54* carried only about 8 yards short of the 50*, so I had to go to 56* to get a more even distance spread.

That's why you want (hopefully post-COVID) to hit the wedges outdoors to get best idea of distance and turf interaction (helps with picking grind). 

Makes sense. My set up is 47, 52, 56, 60 (irons are TM Tour Preferred and wedges are TM Milled Grind). I find myself not using the 56 very often and 4 wedges is a luxury for me that I’m not used to, but with more practice and dialling in all the distances it will all get more comfortable. Believe it or not, my last set that I learned how to play on only had a PW and a 60 degree LW, so I got real comfortable cranking the hell out of that 60, Lol!!!

🇨🇦

2 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Talked to a golf shop manager today. He said golf supply chain is spotty because of COVID disruption of component parts, and curtailed factory production (COVID spacing between work stations, like only half of tables in restaurant are available).

He specifically said that Callaway particularly was hard to assess, given new product releases coming out in 2021. The MD-PM came out in 2019, and may be in "what's left" status. Note the Mac Daddy CB wedges arrived this fall. 

Note: Callaway PreOwned has MD-PM 64*/10 wedges available, one in Chrome and one in Tour Gray. Place your order quick!

I have 58 and 64 PM in slate, get those if you can.  Can hit any shot with them, and the 64 is actually fun as can (have to be) more aggressive.

• Like 1

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

59 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

I was thinking that the PM's would be end of life or close to it. I have an original PM grind in both 58 and 64 and I guess I'll see what they come up with next. My 64 will keep working for a while but it's worn enough now to start looking for a replacement.

Thanks for the heads up. It even looks like they ship to Australia. I know where to go if I get desperate 😄

Check out the Miura HB or K grind wedges if money is no object.  For the budget minded, you can't go wrong with the Mizuno T20 line.  I demoed them at my local golf store and they are very soft feeling and spin quite a bit. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

On 12/13/2020 at 5:43 PM, ChipNRun said:

Same for me, even when it comes to not enjoying Vokeys. My go to are Cleveland wedges, but I have ventured into the MD series from time to time on a BOGO deal. Not surprisingly what I do like both look and feel similar.

Cleveland offering the best complete wedge from head, grind, to stock shaft has made it hard to play anything else right now.

Edited by GolfChannel
  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

On 12/13/2020 at 10:40 PM, BallerNate said:

I don’t mean matching brands necessarily, just more so the type of club style. For example my Irons are blades/Player’s clubs, so wedges with the bigger heads now feel bulky and heavy....but when I used to game older more traditional clubs I never would’ve imagine being comfortable using Wedges like Vokey’s or TM Milled Grind’s etc.

In my wedges, I like to have a low bounce LW, a high bounce SW, and a mid bounce GW. That way no matter where I play or what the conditions are I have an option. 

• Like 2

Evnroll TR8 33"

25 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

In my wedges, I like to have a low bounce LW, a high bounce SW, and a mid bounce GW. That way no matter where I play or what the conditions are I have an option. 

Interesting. I’m not that advanced with my feel for wedges, but that’s an interesting concept to keep in mind. All my wedges are Standard Bounce and chipping within 20-120 feet is the area I have to spend the most time on improving.

• Like 1

🇨🇦