What is the standard swing weight for woods?

Just curious here! If the “standard” swing weight for irons is anywhere from D0 to D2, what should the standard swing weight be for a 19° hybrid that plays at 40.5”? 3 wood at 43”? And Driver at 45”? 

I know there are a lot of things that add or subtract weight, but if we’re talking about standard, what is it? I have trouble finding that information. I know that woods are sometimes a bit different because of the weights we add to them to adjust flight bias. But any help or knowledge anyone can give would be greatly appreciated! 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Standard SW doesn't mean crap. It depends on what your swing needs, not what anyone else needs or what the OEM thinks.   BT

Thats because there really isnt a standard. Most womens and senior clubs come around c8-c9, most mens come around d1-d3. Alot of this mainly is due to the shaft weights in the respective builds, and s

This is correct. In a proper swing, the weight of the club will affect the golfers timing and rate of release. One of the reasons it is a waste of time to grab clubs off the shelf and try them when th

32 minutes ago, dmarabella13 said:

Just curious here! If the “standard” swing weight for irons is anywhere from D0 to D2, what should the standard swing weight be for a 19° hybrid that plays at 40.5”? 3 wood at 43”? And Driver at 45”? 

I know there are a lot of things that add or subtract weight, but if we’re talking about standard, what is it? I have trouble finding that information. I know that woods are sometimes a bit different because of the weights we add to them to adjust flight bias. But any help or knowledge anyone can give would be greatly appreciated! 

Clubs unlike ASTM , api , etc do not have a standard, but over the years D2 seems like an average from many manufacturers.  That’s a qualitative assessment  

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

3 hours ago, dmarabella13 said:

Thats because there really isnt a standard. Most womens and senior clubs come around c8-c9, most mens come around d1-d3. Alot of this mainly is due to the shaft weights in the respective builds, and sometimes grip weights. 

• Like 1

Standard SW doesn't mean crap. It depends on what your swing needs, not what anyone else needs or what the OEM thinks.

BT

• Like 2

Cobra LTD Pro 9.5° HZRDUS Blk 70 S @ 44.5"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Oddysey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"

1 hour ago, Ri_Redneck said:

Standard SW doesn't mean crap. It depends on what your swing needs, not what anyone else needs or what the OEM thinks.

BT

Bingo.  I play D4 in my driver, D5 in my 3 metal, D3 in my irons and D5 in my wedges.  It's all about how comfortable the club feels in your hands when swinging.

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Bingo.  I play D4 in my driver, D5 in my 3 metal, D3 in my irons and D5 in my wedges.  It's all about how comfortable the club feels in your hands when swinging.

Yeah this is pretty much what I was thinking. My driver has a heavier swing weight that my 3 wood, and my 3 wood is a heavier swing weight than my hybrid. Want to increase swing weight on my hybrid for sure. 

was just kind of curious as to what a standard weight usually is from an OEM for their woods or hybrid 

On 12/13/2020 at 9:41 AM, dmarabella13 said:

This has been an issue I have been having for the last 3 months.

Generically what I found.

Drivers -

If you have a more forgiving head, It seems to Gravitate to D2 or lighter

Clubs I have noticed at D2

Cobra's

Titleist

Cally 

Then you go into the the Forgiving heads like  D2/D3

TM Sim Max

Ping G410 Max

Ping G410 SFT D1

When you move to the more "Tour" heads or low spinning heads, they seem to be a little heavier - D4-D5

Ping G400 LST - D4

TM Sim - D5

So its a weird thing to see.

Woods in general seem to hover around the D2/D3  But I have noticed a lot of the Drivers all over the creation D1-D5 so its a real crap shoot.

For me I have found that I block D5 drivers, so I have to personally bring down the swing weight to D2 to get it going straight.  I can make it go left if I take it D0 or lighter.  So its all player preference and what works for you! 

GL OP! 

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70 - PW-8MBs, 7-4 CBs  PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S300
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

1 hour ago, dmarabella13 said:

Yeah this is pretty much what I was thinking. My driver has a heavier swing weight that my 3 wood, and my 3 wood is a heavier swing weight than my hybrid. Want to increase swing weight on my hybrid for sure. 

was just kind of curious as to what a standard weight usually is from an OEM for their woods or hybrid 

OEMs tend to go lighter with swing weight.  D1-D2 for driver, D3 for 3 metal, D1-D2 for irons and D3 for wedges.  I think it's to appeal to the general masses who don't want to be swinging sledge hammers for clubs. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

19 hours ago, Exactice808 said:

This has been an issue I have been having for the last 3 months.

Generically what I found.

Drivers -

If you have a more forgiving head, It seems to Gravitate to D2 or lighter

Clubs I have noticed at D2

Cobra's

Titleist

Cally 

Then you go into the the Forgiving heads like  D2/D3

TM Sim Max

Ping G410 Max

Ping G410 SFT D1

When you move to the more "Tour" heads or low spinning heads, they seem to be a little heavier - D4-D5

Ping G400 LST - D4

TM Sim - D5

So its a weird thing to see.

Woods in general seem to hover around the D2/D3  But I have noticed a lot of the Drivers all over the creation D1-D5 so its a real crap shoot.

For me I have found that I block D5 drivers, so I have to personally bring down the swing weight to D2 to get it going straight.  I can make it go left if I take it D0 or lighter.  So its all player preference and what works for you! 

GL OP! 

This is correct. In a proper swing, the weight of the club will affect the golfers timing and rate of release. One of the reasons it is a waste of time to grab clubs off the shelf and try them when there is a very good chance the weighting is not right.

BT

• Like 1

Cobra LTD Pro 9.5° HZRDUS Blk 70 S @ 44.5"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Oddysey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"

Also keep in mind that if you're changing swingweight on a specific club with head weights or lead tape, that the flex of the shaft will soften as you add weight and will stiffen as you take away weight.  You may find that your performance improves at a certain swing weight, but it could also be that performance is improving because shaft flex is most ideal for a particular club at a particular weight.

For instance, I have a 4 iron with an s400 shaft that swingweights at D1.  If I add lead tape to get it closer to a standard swingweight, my dispersion gets worse because the shaft flex softens.  And my driver at D0 is perfect.  When I add weight and the shaft gets weaker, I lose accuracy.  

My point is to keep in mind the effect of head weight on shaft flex.  

That is all.

WITB - Persimmon, Rust, Wool, and Lead

Let's talk drivers. The last decade or so, I've seen stock drivers anywhere from D2 to D5.

The D5 showed up in the Burner drivers, especially the SuperFast models with the super-lightweight 48-gram graphite shafts. This was done to give the head some feel, as the lightweight shafts were lessening the swingweight. (Lowering shaft weight by 9 grams or so will trim one swingweight point. So, if last year's driver had 60-gram shaft, this would lighten SwWt by 1.3 points)

Also, the SuperFast got the higher swingweight by manipulating the grip weight: The Burner Superfast replacement grips in the catalogs only weigh 25 grams, as opposed to roughly 50 grams for a standard grip. This 25-gram grip would trick the swingweight scale into adding back nearly 3 swingweight points to the club.

So... -1 for lighter shaft, +3 for lighter grip, and you end up with driver with SwWt of about D5.

In 2013, the Callaway RazrFit Extreme had shafts in flexes A-R-S-X, and all had a D4 SwWt.

In 2018, the Tour Edge EXS driver had a SwWt of D4.

Key takeaway: If a driver feels good and gives you decent clubhead speed, go with it. Don't overthink the SwWt.

Our veteran clubsmiths @Howard_Jones and @Stuart_G have addressed swingweight manipulation in several GolfWRX threads. Self-deception can be a problem if you don't understand swingweight system, or the relationship between swingweight and total weight. Google our site and get the details. 

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.