2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Craz e Lite, Titleist Carbon or Sun Mountain 2.5

On the same search as I look for a carry bag. MGS had the Ping rated very high. I’ve got a SunMountain UA bag and the straps aren’t great, something about the texture, feels like they’re slipping off.

When I caddied, the Titleist bags (after they moved away from SM) were nice but not super comfortable. I actually loved the Callaway one strap caddie bag but thst was 5-6 year old model and haven’t found it since. 

Curious what else we hear here. 

I picked up the carbon for my wife and so far so good.  I have some issues with it when I took it for a test driver, but have issues with all bags.

I played with a guy who had the craz-e-lite and he liked it.  However, bag looked like it had an odd bend in it where the straps met the middle part of the bag.  Made me nervous that there was too much pressure there and could be a break point.  Have never seen a bag bend that way before.

my son has an old 2.5, which was very light but the straps were borderline worthless.  From what I read, I think they’ve largely fixed that in the 2.5+.  One advantage here is - only Sun Mountain has been selling in the ultra light category for longer than the other two and has a bit more experience ironing out the kinks.  Plus you can pick up older 2.5+ On discount

I don't have experience with all the above, but being a bag junkie I have looked at all of them and anxiously await the 2021 bags showing up at retail.  I do have a SM 2.5 that is about 4 years old and with over 300 rounds of mileage.  It has proven to be indestructible.  In and out of the car, occasionally on a cart, handled by Shipsticks and up and down the countryside.  14 clubs is not an issue, pockets lay out well.  My only wish list item would be a magnetic rangefinder pocket.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

So to answer the question...

I ordered the Titleist and SM2.5+. Too many bad reviews for the ping 

The winning bag for me is Titleist. 

The 2.5 is an awesome bag and 100% no club snag. Weight is perfect (both are the same empty) There’s a little snag in the Carbon. The straps on the Carbon felt better awesome. The Apparel pocket felt better on the Carbon than the 2.5 but the other pockets on the 2.5 are slightly bigger bad better. The zip and on the Carbon for apparel was just a lot better. Felt like the 2.5 was going to rip apart. Both comfortable on the back

Believe it or not the biggest deciding factor was the rain hood. The one on the 2.5 is pathetic! So tight! Here in the uk you can rely on the rain cover quote a lot! 😂. The Carbon cover is something else. Never seen anything like it and I hope a lot of other manufactures learn from it. Slip it over and away you go. No fiddling with loads of popper is small loop holes. 

I’ll update more as and when I get out. 

cheers. 

Glynn

1 hour ago, glynntaylor said:

The 2.5 is an awesome bag and 100% no club snag. Weight is perfect (both are the same empty) There’s a little snag in the Carbon. The straps on the Carbon felt better awesome. The Apparel pocket felt better on the Carbon than the 2.5 but the other pockets on the 2.5 are slightly bigger bad better. The zip and on the Carbon for apparel was just a lot better. Felt like the 2.5 was going to rip apart. Both comfortable on the back

Believe it or not the biggest deciding factor was the rain hood. The one on the 2.5 is pathetic! So tight! Here in the uk you can rely on the rain cover quote a lot! 😂. The Carbon cover is something else. Never seen anything like it and I hope a lot of other manufactures learn from it. Slip it over and away you go. No fiddling with loads of popper is small loop holes. 

cheers. 

Glynn

I didn’t even look at the rain hood. I’ll have to check that out. 

I replaced an old Ogio with a 2021 Sun Mountain 2.5+.  Good bag, carries easy and light.  2021 adds a small pocket above the ball pocket and deletes the Velcro for a glove, I don’t wear one so it’s not a problem.   I was able to look at the 2020 and 2021 next to each other at Dicks Sporting Goods.  I made the decision based on the extra pocket.  I played with 12 clubs midsize grips and oversized putter grip.  No tangle I was concerned with.  FYI the dividers are full length and the middle also has a divider.  I walk about 90% of the time.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 1:47 PM, glynntaylor said:

cheers. 

Glynn

Very interesting. I went to see these bags in person today and I thought the tiebreaker for the 2.5 was the garment pocket, as I seemed to have more room for the jacket I brought than on the Carbon. But now you’ve got me second guessing myself. 

On 12/17/2020 at 12:47 PM, glynntaylor said:

cheers. 

Glynn

couldnt wait a month to see the new Ping lineup for 2021? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just picked up a 2020 2.5+ today at Golf Galaxy for only $165 (with coupon). I have a Hoofer Lite which I still think is an awesome bag but have always been curious of the super lightweight bags like the 2.5+.  So I loaded up the bag and walked around the store and was surprised at how noticeable the difference in weight was. Considering I walk 90% of my rounds, I figured I’d give it a shot knowing I could return it if not happy. 

After buying, I started looking into the 2021 model because I really liked that it added the pocket above the ball pocket plus there was a colorway I really liked.  

As much as I liked those, I noticed that the glove Velcro patch was removed in the 2021 version but also the valuables pocket was positioned higher and while I didn’t see it loaded on the back of a cart, it looks like the cart strap would interfere.  The 2020 valuables pocket looks like it would sit below the strap. Considering those tradeoffs but also the $60+ in savings, I think the 2020 is the clear cut winner for me. 

I do like the idea of the Ping Craz-E Lite but it’s not worth a $90+ difference in price. 

I’ll be walking my first 9 holes tomorrow morning and look forward to testing this out. 

Edited by madeinguam81

Ping G425 Max Driver
Ping G430 Max 3 and 5 Wood

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 - 50, 55, 60
Odyssey 2Ball TEN Tour-Lined, White Hot insert

9 hours ago, madeinguam81 said:

Just picked up a 2020 2.5+ today at Golf Galaxy for only $165 (with coupon). I have a Hoofer Lite which I still think is an awesome bag but have always been curious of the super lightweight bags like the 2.5+.  So I loaded up the bag and walked around the store and was surprised at how noticeable the difference in weight was. Considering I walk 90% of my rounds, I figured I’d give it a shot knowing I could return it if not happy. 

After buying, I started looking into the 2021 model because I really liked that it added the pocket above the ball pocket plus there was a colorway I really liked.  

As much as I liked those, I noticed that the glove Velcro patch was removed in the 2021 version but also the valuables pocket was positioned higher and while I didn’t see it loaded on the back of a cart, it looks like the cart strap would interfere.  The 2020 valuables pocket looks like it would sit below the strap. Considering those tradeoffs but also the $60+ in savings, I think the 2020 is the clear cut winner for me. 

I do like the idea of the Ping Craz-E Lite but it’s not worth a $90+ difference in price. 

I’ll be walking my first 9 holes tomorrow morning and look forward to testing this out. 

Less than two holes in and I already know that I will be returning this today. It’s hard to explain but the bottom of the bag carries forward. It doesn’t stay behind me. Not only that, the straps aren’t as comfortable as I’d like. 

Ping G425 Max Driver

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  

• 4 months later...
On 2/18/2021 at 7:51 AM, madeinguam81 said:

Less than two holes in and I already know that I will be returning this today. It’s hard to explain but the bottom of the bag carries forward. It doesn’t stay behind me. Not only that, the straps aren’t as comfortable as I’d like. 

Bringing up an old thread here, but what did you end up with after returning the 2.5+?  I'm trying to decide between a few of these light walking bags...

Edited by iputts_28

[size=2]Callaway Mavrik 9*[/size]
[size=2]TM M6 Rocket[/size]
[size=2]Cobra 3h
[size=2]Mizuno 3-PW JPX 900 Tours[/size]
[size=2]Cleveland RTX 2.0 52*[/size]
[size=2]TM Milled Grind 56* and 60*[/size]
[size=2]Scotty Newport[/size]

3 hours ago, iputts_28 said:

Bringing up an old thread here, but what did you end up with after returning the 2.5+?  I'm trying to decide between a few of these light walking bags...

I’m very very particular with my bags and ended up trying out two ultralight models- Ping CEL and the new Mizuno K1-LO.

I really liked the feel and quality of the CEL but was not a huge fan of the crosshatch pattern on the black bag. Returned it for

the K1-LO. 

Loved the solid black and minimal branding of the K1-LO. The straps felt good, the bag balanced well, and tangle wasn’t a concern.  Used this for a month or so until I noticed that the construction was already coming apart at the top.  I brought this back to the store and the guy said that the durability of the ultralight bags simply aren’t that great. 

39EE5C46-BDB3-47D1-9F44-5D572AC42A82.jpeg.1a681987bc6f0cdb4811071694de23d8.jpeg

After all this, I ended up with the latest black Hoofer Lite. I have a custom color of the previous Lite but wanted a black bag. Sure the bag is a little heavier but Hoofers are just built to last. Really love the cart strap pass-through and the new water bottle holder. It looks small but can easily hold a large bottle. 

5DCB0CE1-55DD-4FDC-A181-05EB28555DDB.jpeg.629cf7ef6c4554c3d287e76618c17452.jpeg

B01DCC00-25E3-476C-913F-2B32A5E47021.jpeg.fc1b7ab29de5c11aa3ff0784fcbff512.jpeg

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  

20 hours ago, madeinguam81 said:

I’m very very particular with my bags and ended up trying out two ultralight models- Ping CEL and the new Mizuno K1-LO.

I really liked the feel and quality of the CEL but was not a huge fan of the crosshatch pattern on the black bag. Returned it for

the K1-LO. 

Loved the solid black and minimal branding of the K1-LO. The straps felt good, the bag balanced well, and tangle wasn’t a concern.  Used this for a month or so until I noticed that the construction was already coming apart at the top.  I brought this back to the store and the guy said that the durability of the ultralight bags simply aren’t that great. 

39EE5C46-BDB3-47D1-9F44-5D572AC42A82.jpeg.1a681987bc6f0cdb4811071694de23d8.jpeg

After all this, I ended up with the latest black Hoofer Lite. I have a custom color of the previous Lite but wanted a black bag. Sure the bag is a little heavier but Hoofers are just built to last. Really love the cart strap pass-through and the new water bottle holder. It looks small but can easily hold a large bottle. 

5DCB0CE1-55DD-4FDC-A181-05EB28555DDB.jpeg.629cf7ef6c4554c3d287e76618c17452.jpeg

B01DCC00-25E3-476C-913F-2B32A5E47021.jpeg.fc1b7ab29de5c11aa3ff0784fcbff512.jpeg

The Hoofer looks great! Thanks for the quick review on the K1 as well.

[size=2]Callaway Mavrik 9*[/size]
[size=2]TM M6 Rocket[/size]
[size=2]Cobra 3h
[size=2]Mizuno 3-PW JPX 900 Tours[/size]
[size=2]Cleveland RTX 2.0 52*[/size]
[size=2]TM Milled Grind 56* and 60*[/size]
[size=2]Scotty Newport[/size]