Preparing for the next step

CamasGolf

Hello everyone and happy holidays.

I'm hoping to get opinions regarding the transition from junior clubs to adult clubs.

My son is 9 but turning 10 in February and he's a competitive golfer. He's currently playing the Flynn 54 plus a half, a TaylorMade m4 driver with a senior shaft, and the ping prodi g hybrid and wood.

His swing speed is around 75 to 77 miles per hour for his driver. His scoring average for the last US kids season was 37.5.

He's currently 56 and 1/2 inches tall and weighs about 78 pounds.

So the dilemma is that we are getting close to buying the next size up and irons with Flynn.  I don't know when to move up into the adult heads. I also don't know when the flynn shafts become too whippy vs a ladies or senior shaft.

I thought about taking him to get fit but every place I know will fit juniors with adult shaft lengths and in my mind that's kind of like having me fit with a kid's length clubs.

I'm interested to hear different opinions regarding when to make the transition and what your personal experiences have been.

I am also under no illusion that getting adult club to magically make him a better player.

Thanks in advance.

I would look at the US Kids tour series with the steel shafts or go back with another set of Flynn for the irons. For the woods and hybrids you can look at adult heads. The key on that is the weight of the clubs. I usually look at the Ping junior fitting chart and the US Kids fitting chart to get an idea of how long to make the clubs. Your son is only going to swing the club faster as he grows so a lightweight senior shaft is probably the way to go for the hybrids and woods. You can also look at adult wedges with light weight graphite shafts. We have several members whose kids play the ladies version of Cleveland wedges. The head weight as the same as any other wedge but they put a light weight ladies shaft in it. Since you have a boy, you can paint the club head to eliminate the pink spots if you want. They are great wedges. Once your son gets over 5ft, then I would look at adult irons. I can also tell you that until you get over 80 mph clubhead speed, any of the clubs will work. At that clubhead speed you wont see any real difference between any manufacture. Go with what you can get a deal on.

• Like 4

You gotten good advice above.

I will add  the flex is off you will see they can't control the club direction.  If you see them spraying the course then it may be the shafts.  It could be the swing as well but I would not be against trying out a club with stiffer shaft before I tried to correct anything. Most instructors will think the club is the last issue when the club actually makes things worse.

If you see them miss on the same side it is usually the lie or length of clubs.

This is very generic advice every kid is different and what you want to achieve is different. Don't be shy about trying things you need to is how you and your kid will learn.   I personally like the flynn golf clubs a lot they help get the ball in the air and there not shovels either.  Once they grow you will be looking at adult clubs and I guarantee you by the time there 13 or 14 you will be so sick of buying clubs by then.

Also buy clubs for their long term development when the time comes for adult clubs.  A lot club fitters out there think they need to sell you the same sets they do 80 year olds. 

Thank you for the great information. 

A friend of mine also recommended the ping prodi g for the next set to use until it gets up to adult clubs.  Any thought? 

I know they're more expensive but a buddy will  give me the two wedges his son was using for half a season before he had a major growth spurt.

I'm not sure I I am okay with no five iron but then again he does have the hybrid three-wood already. So the gapping is pretty good. currently the difference between his five-iron Flynn and his hybrid is only two degrees. Effectively the same club.

And the third wrinkle is that I have a set of TaylorMade PSI irons. The same buddy who is going to give me the ping prodi g wedges also will sell me his kids recoil f2 shafts for like 50 bucks. So I was considering getting the sizing right (from the ping chart US kids or Flynn) and putting those shafts into my old PSI irons.  I just don't know if the club head being too heavy is going to cause major issues. But that would be the cheapest way for me to go.  I also know that even if these clubs will work it's not like the adult head is going to add more value. I agree with not a lot happens until you get to that 80 mph swing speed anyway. 

Thanks again for all your help.

I would stick with the Flynn irons, US Kids tours series with steel shafts, or the Ping Prodi G. Any of those clubs will be good options. The main thing you would notice with adults heads would be an increase in distance simply because the lofts are stronger than junior clubs. Sounds like distance isn't an issue with your son. I would stick with the junior sets. I know that the PGA superstore has demos of the US kids and Ping Prodi G clubs. Maybe go there and compare them to the flynn.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CamasGolf said:

Thank you for the great information. 

A friend of mine also recommended the ping prodi g for the next set to use until it gets up to adult clubs.  Any thought? 

I know they're more expensive but a buddy will  give me the two wedges his son was using for half a season before he had a major growth spurt.

I'm not sure I I am okay with no five iron but then again he does have the hybrid three-wood already. So the gapping is pretty good. currently the difference between his five-iron Flynn and his hybrid is only two degrees. Effectively the same club.

And the third wrinkle is that I have a set of TaylorMade PSI irons. The same buddy who is going to give me the ping prodi g wedges also will sell me his kids recoil f2 shafts for like 50 bucks. So I was considering getting the sizing right (from the ping chart US kids or Flynn) and putting those shafts into my old PSI irons.  I just don't know if the club head being too heavy is going to cause major issues. But that would be the cheapest way for me to go.  I also know that even if these clubs will work it's not like the adult head is going to add more value. I agree with not a lot happens until you get to that 80 mph swing speed anyway. 

TM PSI 6-iron head weighs around 262g. USKG TS3-57 6-iron head weighs around 244g.  Your current TS3-54 6-iron head weighs 234g.

Take 2 nickels and tape them to the back (and low) area of the TS3-54" 6-iron and swing. That is your TS3-57 6-iron.

Take 6 nickels and tape them to the back (and low) area of the TS3-54" 6-iron and swing. That is your TM PSI 6-iron.

Bottom line, unless your kid's driver swing speed is 80mph or more, stick with the junior clubs. Your kid's L1-thru-L5 vertebrae will thank you later.

• Like 2

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

31 minutes ago, CamasGolf said:

If you do this I'd be concerned more with the shafts instead of the club weight. When you cut down a shaft you alter the flex. This is exponentially more true for graphite shafts. You wouldn't want your 10 year old swinging clubs that have been cut down to the point of essentially being a stiff flex. 

Like everyone else mentioned you're probably better off sticking with a junior specific set of irons until your kid is about 11 or 12. Then you can look into adult irons and getting them fit for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CamasGolf said:

And if anyone has direct experience with the ping prodi G irons I would love to hear it.

I searched the site and I've only seen limited information on the pings.

Happy holidays to everybody!

Get the i210 irons with a zelos shaft. 

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

1 hour ago, CamasGolf said:

And if anyone has direct experience with the ping prodi G irons I would love to hear it.

No experience with the irons, but we've owned the driver, fairway, hybrid and 56* wedge.

The driver is a nice club, but fixed at 15*.

The fairway and hybrid are fantastic, and have been a great fit for my daughter (about the same size as your son).  My son just inherited them, and the way he gets both clubs up in the air compared to his old flynn 17* wood and various hybrids is a huge improvement.

The 56* is a really nice wedge and I probably should have saved it for my son instead of trading it in.  Light and puts nice spin on the ball.

If you do go with Prodi G, your son will need the junior stiff instead of the regular junior flex with his clubspeed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CamasGolf said:

I would avoid them aren't ping prodigy more expensive then  US Kids tour series and Flynn golf clubs?  Hard to imagine how they are better too.  There selling cheap boxed clubs as set just like they do for they do all cheap clubs they sell in a set.  Don't fall fo slick marketing to sell old clubs they repainted.

If you see Junior or Womens on OEM stuff it usually means it's junk.

The best junior clubs are Flynn or US Kids irons and then go out and buy your favorite (used)  light Driver, Woods and hybrid and put in a light shaft  you will have an awesome set. 

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

My son is 8.5 years, 55" and plays with Ping Prodi G set (the full set) except for the driver (Cobra F9) and putter. I don't have a comparison to USKG but he used to play with a set of Flynn irons. I find them to be really forgiving, and he is really good with the short irons. He struggles a bit with his 6i but i think it is more a function of his swing than the club. We went with Ping based on how he hit at PGASS, somewhat of a splurge but ended up justifying it given that Ping will adjust once. The clubs are a bit of a shovel, so he has a tendency to hit thin at times. The hybrid is great, and the 5W is fine thought doesn't have a need to use it. 

For the driver, highly recommend the cobra one, F9 or Speedzone. In typical WRX fashion, I have 4-5 shafts that we experimented with (cobra, Flynn, Recoil 440es f1 and basara e42).   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mojomover said:

My son is 8.5 years, 55" and plays with Ping Prodi G set (the full set) except for the driver (Cobra F9) and putter. I don't have a comparison to USKG but he used to play with a set of Flynn irons. I find them to be really forgiving, and he is really good with the short irons. He struggles a bit with his 6i but i think it is more a function of his swing than the club. We went with Ping based on how he hit at PGASS, somewhat of a splurge but ended up justifying it given that Ping will adjust once. The clubs are a bit of a shovel, so he has a tendency to hit thin at times. The hybrid is great, and the 5W is fine thought doesn't have a need to use it. 

For the driver, highly recommend the cobra one, F9 or Speedzone. In typical WRX fashion, I have 4-5 shafts that we experimented with (cobra, Flynn, Recoil 440es f1 and basara e42).   

Curious which driver shaft did you guys end up using? 

I'm surprised there isn't a junior development program run by the PGA in your state / area / country. I'd have thought these young kids are prime opportunity for PGA to help.

Here in Oz, my local PGA pro, club based, teaching professional is also involved with junior development through area / state PGA. They run clinics etc where all these club, swing development and 'game play' skills are guided for the up coming future stars. 

Surely there is a source of guidance in your area / state / country?

My daughter age 11 is 73lbs and 58", she played the Ping Prodig's built to 57" us kids specs for about 1/2 a year and then switched to Flynn's new heads with Zelos 6 steel shafts. We ordred 1 head and built it to test and then ended up ordering 5 thru PW. Her dispersion and ball striking was much better with the Flynn with Zelos 6. We build a Ping Prodig with the same zelos 6 and she liked the Flynn better. I liked the Flynn since they had a 5 iron which she had some difficulties with but now hits it really well now.

We've been testing some adult heads with zelos, but she's still not strong enough to handle the adult heads for 2 or 3 day tournaments, with the walking and swinging it will still hurt her game at this point. Will revisit next year.

12 hours ago, Kcct82 said:

Curious which driver shaft did you guys end up using? 

Recoil 440es F1. The Basara ended up being a bit too stiff for him and Flynn perhaps a bit too whippy/spinny. Having said that, I do think Flynn is a good shaft overall, see lots of kids use it. We ordered it when his swing speed was lower and with him picking up some speed, it was less optimal. 

• Like 1