2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

A good golf podcast that talks about recruiting, junior golf and playing college golf....Update: he now has a YouTube Channel

FSUGolfdog

Scrambling with Dylan Otto

It has some good information about recruiting, junior golf and playing college golf.  In the first few episodes he describes his journey to playing DII golf, after that he has some good guests including a current Oklahoma St golfer and a couple kids from Australia. 

Update:  The podcast is still going well, he's also started a media company and just this week launched his YouTube channel.  The first upload is introducing himself and what his plans are for the channel along with a round with him and his buddies.  He's headed to Scottsdale to cover the last few days of the Women's DI championship and all of the men's.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMN3kouTrw-vVy-uxYoViug

Edited by FSUGolfdog
  • Like 4

Full disclosure, this is my son.  If some of you do listen to the podcast I'll relay any feedback good or bad to him.  He was away at college this past semester and spent a lot of time in his apartment due to COVID so this is what he decided to do.

Edited by FSUGolfdog
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, FSUGolfdog said:

Full disclosure, this is my son.  If some of you do listen to the podcast I'll relay any feedback good or bad to him.  He was away at college this past semester and spent a lot of time in his apartment due to COVID so this is what he decided to do.

What are some things you think he did well in recruiting? Some not great ? 

I know personally it was getting my son to use a tracker to keep up with who he was in contact with.  When they texted him or email him.  Ensuring he returned calls, texts, and emails within 24 hours.

Subscribed.  Just began listening to S1:E1.  Anything golf youth related interests me.  Thanks for posting.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

59 minutes ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

What are some things you think he did well in recruiting? Some not great ? 

I know personally it was getting my son to use a tracker to keep up with who he was in contact with.  When they texted him or email him.  Ensuring he returned calls, texts, and emails within 24 hours.

My son was not highly recruited and didn't play in any AJGA events as a junior golfer.  He was very honest with himself as to what level of college golf he could play at, out of high school there wasn't much interest so it was at the NAIA level.  He decided to play for a local junior college that contended for the California state title every year.  He had a solid freshman year, it was at that point he put a realistic list of schools together for his coach.  His JC coach sent the initial contact email after that it was all my son, what really helped is that my son was a good student and did everything that was asked of him.  He has qualified to play in every tournament at every level and will graduate college in 4 years.  As far as mistakes or not so great things, I don't think he made any.  I as a parent probably didn't get him enough exposure as a junior golfer which we talk about but he's happy with how things turned out which is all that matters.

• Like 4

On 12/15/2020 at 12:04 PM, FSUGolfdog said:

Scrambling with Dylan Otto

It has some good information about recruiting, junior golf and playing college golf.  In the first few episodes he describes his journey to playing DII golf, after that he has some good guests including a current Oklahoma St golfer and a couple kids from Australia. 

I was only able to listen to the first 20 minutes or so of the episode with OSU Frosh Brian Stark (my first), and it was interesting listening to someone who went from being such an accomplished junior to someone who has to prove himself all over again.  The humility, for his age and junior accomplishments, was refreshing.  

I was a little blown away when he confessed how big of an Oklahoma State fan he was.  Growing up in Michigan, I never even thought of college golf--so the take of a California kid bleeding Orange was really interesting.

Your son did a nice job as the host, I thought, walking the listener through Stark's 60 shot as--if I recall--a freshman in HS.  I can't fathom being that good at something, let alone at that age.  I'll be tuning into this show from now on, and thanks for letting us know about it!

14 hours ago, MB19 said:

I was only able to listen to the first 20 minutes or so of the episode with OSU Frosh Brian Stark (my first), and it was interesting listening to someone who went from being such an accomplished junior to someone who has to prove himself all over again.  The humility, for his age and junior accomplishments, was refreshing.  

I was a little blown away when he confessed how big of an Oklahoma State fan he was.  Growing up in Michigan, I never even thought of college golf--so the take of a California kid bleeding Orange was really interesting.

Your son did a nice job as the host, I thought, walking the listener through Stark's 60 shot as--if I recall--a freshman in HS.  I can't fathom being that good at something, let alone at that age.  I'll be tuning into this show from now on, and thanks for letting us know about it!

I'll pass along the kind words to my son.  Next Mondays episode features a player from Arizona State, he's also playing on the Walker Cup team.  At this point he's just messaging people who he thinks might want to be on the show on instagram.  

• Like 1

I just saw this thread and wanted to add that PGA Tour pro Max Homa covered a lengthy junior golf Q&A on his podcast, Get a Grip this week. I haven't listened to that part of the podcast yet but Max has been very helpful in the past providing knowledge regarding his path from junior golf to college to the PGA Tour. It's episode 47.

Max also discussed his path from junior golf to the PGA Tour in depth in episode 37: 1% Better. I did listen to that one and it was fascinating to me and I don't even have a junior playing golf. I have been following these subjects because a good friend from work has a son who is top 10 in the U.S. in junior golf so I like to follow his adventures.

Edited by Mustard_Tiger
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, FSUGolfdog said:

I'll pass along the kind words to my son.  Next Mondays episode features a player from Arizona State, he's also playing on the Walker Cup team.  At this point he's just messaging people who he thinks might want to be on the show on instagram.  

Fantastic, I'm looking forward to that... always had a soft spot for Tempe and ASU.

The access your son is offering to us listeners can't be beat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few new episodes have been added, next week should be really good.  He recorded an episode with Sulman Raza, the young man that won his match to give U of O the national championship.  He is currently playing on the PGA Latinamerica tour.  My son said he was one of the nicest people he's ever talked to and appreciated being on the podcast.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

An Update:  His podcast is still going strong, this week he's at a Golden State Tour event taking pictures.  If you follow the podcast on Instagram you'll see some of the pics.  Full disclosure this is his first time ever taking any sort of pics.  He's having a lot of fun.  It's back to school on Friday as his college team has qualifying next week for a tournament March 8-9.  

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

My son is a high school senior and is going on his 6th visit for golf recruiting.  I can give you what we have experienced with the caveat everyone's experience is going to be different in some ways and same in others.  

First, at all levels, the coaches are looking for players with length.  The coaches can help with mental side and course management but length is one of those things you have or don't.  Second, they look at grades.  Most schools have very limited golf scholarships and several on roster even at D1 level may not be on golf scholarships but academic.  If you can pull down significant academic money, a coach will love you.  This means 28+ composite on ACT for example.  30+ is even better.  Plan taking ACT 2 or 3 times and get tutoring for it. Third, coaches recruit personality.  Doesn't mean a kid has to be talkative or anything but fits in with coach and current players personality speaking.  Prima donnas are not at the top of any coach's list for example.  Fourth, maintain contact with the schools you're interested in and be kind enough to let a coach know if you're not interested in their school.  In the first case, a coach will dedicate more time to get the player and in the latter frees them up to recruit those who want to go to their school.  Fifth, kid has to like the coach.  Has to.  Coach is head of his family while at college so they need to mesh.  Finally, meet with the school's admissions people on all visits and ask about financial aid, dorms, etc.  

Remember, don't have the player choose a school because they can play there but choose a school because they fit in there first and then can play there.  Maintaining grades is critical too.  In the non-revenue sports, as I said, academic scholarship money means a lot to a golf coach.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Another update, he's had some top college players on the past few weeks and Pepperdine hired him to cover the Southwestern Invitational.  I took some time off of work and drove down to help him, basically drive him around the golf course.  It was a fun few days, there were 12 podcast alum in the field of 60. 

Check out the Instagram he started and ran: @southwesterninvite.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, FSUGolfdog said:

Another update, he's had some top college players on the past few weeks and Pepperdine hired him to cover the Southwestern Invitational.  I took some time off of work and drove down to help him, basically drive him around the golf course.  It was a fun few days, there were 12 podcast alum in the field of 60. 

Check out the Instagram he started and ran: @southwesterninvite.

I need to catch up with these, the first several were great.

• FSUGolfdog changed the title to A good golf podcast that talks about recruiting, junior golf and playing college golf....Update: he now has a YouTube Channel
6 hours ago, leezer99 said:

What a great first video! That cast of guys is awesome and the location is great.  For some reason I didn't realize he was in SD.  Tell him the fans want a Goat Hill round next.

I'll let him know, he's at Goat Hill often.  He's in Scottsdale for the next 8 days covering the National Championships.  He's working for a couple teams and will be putting together a couple of YouTube videos.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FSUGolfdog said:

I'll let him know, he's at Goat Hill often.  He's in Scottsdale for the next 8 days covering the National Championships.  He's working for a couple teams and will be putting together a couple of YouTube videos.  

Very cool!

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.