Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

45 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

I rewatched a video from a few years ago and matt was low 160s ball speed and flying 275. I was like whoa what happened lol

To be fair, he's put in a lot of work on his game. When watching the old videos, his swing is miles better now. Larry Cheung really helped him out

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

I called them out about that subject, suggesting that Matt's sway off the ball and Ian's arms- powered swing could not on the golf course produce the numbers (for distance or accuracy) that  their juiced up GC Quad video screen shots reveal.  To their credit they did actually post an on course video, but for that one there were apparently "technical difficulties" which resulted in showing only half of the round's shot results. 

All factors considered, my best guess is that at a sea level location 6,800 yard par 72 golf course they would both average about 260 yards off the tee boxes, hit between 9 and 11 greens for the round, and shoot somewhere between 78 and 84 for the day.

I was curious on how it translated to on course play as well. They have a number of different course vlogs out, and for the most part, they do a pretty good job with providing real numbers. There is one or two where they had technical difficulties, but I think I remember watching at least one where data was provided on each shot.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pinhigh27 said:

Yet some of the most tried and true shafts in recent years, funny how that works. lot of people that swear by V2s

Myself included; I'm still gaming a 3W with an old V2. Still interested to see the difference between a properly aligned V2 and not as well as the differences between the tour and regular version.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 2:02 PM, 14mh said:

Anyone who has bought 6 sets of irons in 4 years didn't get "sold" anything. They wanted to buy new irons.

As I understand it, that guy is "in the industry".

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

From what I have read if the radial consistency is really high PUREing wont have much of an effect on the shaft. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

I knew Dick Weiss when he first introduced SST Puring. He got the USGA to not ban it, as it had been, based on convincing them it was simply another quality control test much like frequency measuring. The USGA said all well and fine but you cannot vary the shaft orientation to make clubs play different as in the spines must all be aligned alike in a set.

If you look at SST Puring as a quality control check and a tool to make the shafts play the same it is a valid technology. No shaft manufacturer or OEM is going to justify it as they would be saying our shafts/clubs are not as consistent.

It is up to each person as to whether they want to pay for such. Personally my driver and fairway wood shafts are SST Pured. I FLO my iron shafts. I play my putter as is.

Everyone! is longer while hitting in a hitting bay.  This guy is swinging 120+, that is faster than the average Tour Pro.  Tour Pro's that are big hitters swing (outside in the air) between 120 - 125. 

I am not going to split hairs about Tour abilities over say an club pro/champion, but 120 MPH by anyone is superior to 95% of any golfer, amatuer/club pro/tour pro. 

Claiming that he only would hit the ball 260 at sea level is rediculous.  I have a swing speed of 98 and average 240.  Top payers on the LPGA barely break 100 mph and average 240.

37 minutes ago, Guia said:

Everyone! is longer while hitting in a hitting bay.  This guy is swinging 120+, that is faster than the average Tour Pro.  Tour Pro's that are big hitters swing (outside in the air) between 120 - 125. 

I am not going to split hairs about Tour abilities over say an club pro/champion, but 120 MPH by anyone is superior to 95% of any golfer, amatuer/club pro/tour pro. 

Claiming that he only would hit the ball 260 at sea level is rediculous.  I have a swing speed of 98 and average 240.  Top payers on the LPGA barely break 100 mph and average 240.

He wouldn’t hit it 260 but he also wouldn’t hit it 350.  He would live around 300-320

3 hours ago, pinhigh27 said:

He wouldn’t hit it 260 but he also wouldn’t hit it 350.  He would live around 300-320

In multiple videos, that's where Matt is typically on the course. On-course is different than testing, they've mentioned multiple times.

It's different in the bay, where they really try emphasize lower spin and just have the ball go.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 9:57 PM, 5baytjd said:

As I understand it, that guy is "in the industry".

6 sets of irons in 4 years? Amateur.😆

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

On 12/15/2020 at 7:48 PM, sniper said:

I do hope they take shaft labels off some steel shafts and try that. I’d love to see a tour issue DG and some regular DG’s. 

This info and comparisons is out there on golfshaftreviews.info

Nippon shafts are virtually flawless in the steel world

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSr3 9º AD-DI 6x
Titleist TSr3 15º AD-DI 7x

Titleist TSi2 19º AD-DI 95x

T100 4-AW PX 6.0

SM10 56-12º D Modus 125 wedge

SM10 60-12º D Modus 125 wedge

Spider tour

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmea

I was particularly interested in TXG testing this because I recently made the decision to have the shafts on a new equipment purchase SST PUREd. 

After watching the video, I came away feeling the same about the process as I did before I watched and even before I had the shafts PUREd. I think that if you're committing to a long game purchase and don't think you're going to be switching the irons out for a few years, it might make some sense to do. Nobody says that it hurts. There's definitely some question marks about whether or not it helps. For me, the price was high but I'm trying to play the long game on the clubs that I bought and so I decided to do it so that I really drill into my head that there's nothing more I could have done with these clubs to make them better for me. I bought the clubs that produced the best result at the fitting and I got the shafts PUREd so that the end result is on me 100%. 

I can understand how other people can arrive at that conclusion without spending the money. Unfortunately, I have a personality type that won't let me do that so I paid the price to be sure. 

To be fair I won't know the answer to whether this worked, either, which is interesting. I plan on doing whatever I can to improve my game - fitness, lessons, more practice rather than play, etc. What percentage the equipment plays in all of this is hard to say. Even after spending a lot of cash on this purchase, I think it's the latter that makes the lion's share of the difference but at least I can say I accounted for the equipment side too. 

• Like 2

They aren't "juicing" the monitor. That's just how GC2/Quad is. Distance is exaggerated on low spin drives. It used to be even worse on older software. 

And I don't understand the people saying they can't learn anything because Matt is so good and swings 120. You can learn more. Higher speed causes more differences between things. And consistent contact is also key to be able to differentiate things. You'll learn nothing having a hack

The Youtube channel is one big advertisement for the fitting studio & they do a really good job at it. Their videos are far more informative than any of the annoying British dudes.

I went to get fit earlier this year by them. Half my bag was a retro fit, half new clubs. Not once did I get pressured to buy anything, & in the case of my irons the fitter straight up told me to just keep the shafts I had as they were working fine for me.

At the end of the season I had dropped by cap by 10. Was it all because I had custom fit clubs? Of course not. But there was a piece of mind & confidence in my equipment as I was playing & improving.

• Like 2

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

20 minutes ago, kwainio said:

The Youtube channel is one big advertisement for the fitting studio & they do a really good job at it. Their videos are far more informative than any of the annoying British dudes.

Agreed! I am aware of this when watching - but it does not take away from the quality of their videos. I'm a TXG fan as a disclaimer, I love what they do and the info they provide. The notion in this thread that they're just selling you something is silly though. They have not and will not get a penny from me (other than whatever measly amount YT will pay them for my views) - but I will continue to consume their content and learn as much as I can about clubfitting. 

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

On 12/15/2020 at 9:38 PM, Fairway14 said:

You asked for my opinion and I gave it to you.

Consider that about a year and half a ago a hacker from the US travelled up to Canada to get a "fitting: , one to be featured as a You Tube video.

Ian and Matt recognized this guy has a terrible golf swing so they stopped the fitting video and gave him a half hour lesson (to try and get this guy producing a half decent pass at the ball). Later, after the technique instruction caused a little bit improved better QC Quad shot results, the naive consumer ends up buying a set of irons.

The point is that equipment is 1% at best while a good golf shot is 99% swing technique. Ian and Matt , just like Club Champion and other prominent "fitters",  are charlatans selling nonsense. I would respect them more if they sold technique instruction, because  the swing is 99% of what makes for a good golf shot.

Charlatans don't use Trackman data to support their recommendations. They also don't stand behind the performance of the equipment they recommend. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 w/Oban Kiyoshi White 6X 
Titleist TSi2 15 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5

Titleist TSi2 21 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard

Srixon ZX7 7-PW w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50/54/58 KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Toulon Las Vegas custom w/BGT Tour 

On 12/15/2020 at 6:37 PM, getitdaily said:

Accra isn't the best to do the test they did. They should have grabbed a proforce v2 or something like that. 

+1.  When you get the PURE results paperwork you'll understand why there are two answers to the question.  I've had five or six Ventus shafts PUREd and they're all really straight so there isn't a ton of performance to be gained.  On the flip if you took a lower end stock OEM shaft and had it done you'd probably be able to see some real results.

It makes sense they offer it as top end fitter builders. I have talked to people that absolutely swear by it. They have drank the kool aide and will get it done every time. Whether the benefit is real or perceived does not matter. They will get it done. So, for that percentage of people how ever big, it makes sense to offer it as a service you can charge for. 

For many, they will think SST pure'ing is a waste of money. OK, they don't have to get it done. Offering a service does not mean they have to sing its absolute praises. 

I have a friend who is a chiropractor. He says the whole thing is a load of crap. Yet, I also know people that go to him for care and say he has done wonders for them. 

Edited by QuigleyDU
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 12/19/2020 at 11:12 PM, kwainio said:

I went to get fit earlier this year by them. Half my bag was a retro fit, half new clubs. Not once did I get pressured to buy anything, & in the case of my irons the fitter straight up told me to just keep the shafts I had as they were working fine for me.

At the end of the season I had dropped by cap by 10. Was it all because I had custom fit clubs? Of course not. But there was a piece of mind & confidence in my equipment as I was playing & improving.

Ian is a British dude!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, pinhigh27 said:

the main things that frustrate me about txg are

a) people think matt is a robot because they edit out bad shots. He's a good golfer, around scratch apparently, but there are loads of better ball strikers in the world. Again, yes he's good but all of us posted our highlight tapes online, we'd look pretty good

b) the foresight distance algorithm is severely jacked for low spin shots and causes falsely elevated yardages. Matt would be 50 yards shorter in real life than he gets on the quad in the videos. He will never carry a ball 360 with 180ish ball speed. It just doesn't happen. You would think this would be important for a fitter to point out, as one could easily be fit into a driver that is way too low spin for them that looks good on a GC2/quad but sucks in real life and falls out of the sky/ is terrible on mishits. 

Ian has pointed out the difference between trackman and gcquad numbers on a number of videos, even going into detail on how the two systems differ (something about one looking at the whole head, the other only looking at the face). 

They also did a video recently comparing gc quad numbers to skytrak. They spent multiple weeks (and multiple calls with skytrak support) to get a true side by side test. Long story short, it was impossible to have the 2 machines active at the same time to read the same swing. So they had to swap out machines.

Spoiler alert: skytrak was spot on to quad for wedges. But 7i and d, skytrak had inflated numbers compared to quad. They chalked it up to a $10k diff in systems, and that skytrak would be a good product for home/consumer/average swing speed use. 

From a pure testing format, they are probably the most systematic and also the most transparent. 

• Like 1